• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls PC Beta Thread | Gettin' Squigly Wit It

Kioshen

How is the netcode in comparison to Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat?

heads and shoulder above SF4 and not even in the same league for MK. It can't of course do miracles with shitty connections but it does way better if you set your frame delay correctly.

This is completely subjective but sub 75 ping feels like offline. sub 150 ping is great. sub 250 is even with SF4 green.

You're in the same bracket as I, good job on the win. Still waiting on my opponent to respond, but maybe we'll end up playing each other a couple of rounds in

What's your name in the bracket? I just won my second round match deciding it was better to go in blind-drunk than hungover. I fear that if I can't fight my 3rd round match now I'm going to be screwed due to the hangover.

What's your name in the bracket? I just won my second round match deciding it was better to go in blind-drunk than hungover. I fear that if I can't fight my 3rd round match now I'm going to be screwed due to the hangover.
Grab a couple of multivitamin pills and 10 ounces of orange juice. You'll be good for it tomorrow.

Grab a couple of multivitamin pills and 10 ounces of orange juice. You'll be good for it tomorrow.

I can switch the multivitamins out for ibuprofen but the acidity in orange juice kills me when I'm drunk. I'm convinced that if I can play all of my pools matches tonight I'll get out of mine, I just stomped a guy who had over twice my play time so I'm pretty sure I'm the best player in the world. It clearly had nothing to him being Cerebella and as Squigly I was able to zone his air approach with jumping HP or punish his ground approach with a jumping HK into a bnb confirm along with my 180ms cross Atlantic ping.

Dahbomb

The online netcode in Skullgirls is the following:

Green (anything below 80MS) - Feels like playing offline
Yellow (90-120 roughly) - Very, very playable.. you will hardly notice the lag/delay
Red (150+) - Playable but you will get occasional lag. If you get anyone above 200 ms I would avoid that normally.

Way, way better than SF4 and UMVC3 netcodes.

Another way to say it would be, if you want to see why a lot of people inmediately ask for GGPO netcode for every fighting game you should play this.

The online netcode in Skullgirls is the following:

Green (anything below 80MS) - Feels like playing offline
Yellow (90-120 roughly) - Very, very playable.. you will hardly notice the lag/delay
Red (150+) - Playable but you will get occasional lag. If you get anyone above 200 ms I would avoid that normally.

Way, way better than SF4 and UMVC3 netcodes.

I think it's flat out embarrassing how well SG plays next to SF4, UMVC3, and KoF. It's got the the point where I'm more excited for Dive Kick than KoF13 Steam addition because I know I'll be able to have a good time online with it. This is from somebody who really loved playing KoF13 despite having Leona and Mixma in my team. Still, it's a really good time to be a fighting game fan on PC.

Edit: Just went 1-2 in my 3rd round match, won round one but then got really stupid. Was able to beat him easily when we had some matches after with my cere/squig team but that's life.

Item Box

It's scythe, although I finally moved on to the second round since my opponent was nowhere to be found.

edit: just noticed you lost the 3rd round...dang

edit: just noticed you lost the 3rd round...dang

Yeah, I should have waited for today given I'm not at all hungover as opposed to going in blind drunk as I feel I shouldn't have lost my match. Still, hopefully they might run some other tournies when they other characters are released.

Anyway to avoid spending all day lamenting my loss I uploading a couple of solo Squigly combos:

BnB

BnB 2

BnB3

5 bar corner combo

The quality's low as I'm not sure it's worth idling my pc for 2 hours as the full quality vids upload also I have no clue how to fix the audio sync issues.

Edit: Just changed the videos so they're against solo characters, figured it wasn't a big deal due to there being no standard for partitions but it probably looks less misleading this way.

Edit 2: Looking back at my BnB I saw that I could cancel the last HP which I put up as BnB2, recording it was kinda tricky due to it limiting my fps to 30. BnB3 blows an extra meter to be 1hp off 100%ing a character if it's 1 on 3.

zz. so im using a basic bnb of valentine. c.lp c.mp. c.hp j.lp j.mp j.hp ad j.mp s.lp s.lp s.mp s.mp c.hp j.lk j.mp j.hp qcf pp qcf k c.lk s.hp qcf k qcf kk. Seems like something to start with until I can get the jump loops down.

So played by second round match in the tournament (after getting a first round bye due to the other guy no-showing) and round up with a player worse than me, somehow. So, yeah, Cerebella, forward+HP spam, only dropped one round (since it was all 1v1s) and went through 2 games to zero.

There are currently two things I need in this game.

I need random color select.

I need to be able to play Double with two Double assists.

I need Minette.

ResidentSleeper

They said on IRC that you have to be done by Round 4 by the end of the day, and here I am and many others are waiting for people in Round 2 to play their match.

Beta Tournament Story Time!

Had an interesting situation with one of my matches ... I'l just post a bit of the chat log.

DiscoShark: So ya ready? :p
*Redacted*: blah, I guess
DiscoShark: That's not the reaction I was expecting
DiscoShark: cmon, get fired up
DiscoShark: haha
*Redacted*: Am not too optimistic!
*Redacted*: ;-;
*Redacted*: But we'll see
*Redacted*: Good luck!

-First Match Ends-

*Redacted*: ugh, nevermind
*Redacted*: I'm going to be ill
*Redacted*: I'm sorry, I can't do it tonight
DiscoShark: ?
*Redacted*: I've been feeling awful all of today
*Redacted*: Can we do this tomorrow?
*Redacted*: I'm very sorry..
DiscoShark: Im not sure how I feel about agreeing to do this and then backing it out after the first match
DiscoShark: frankly
*Redacted*: Alright, we can do this then!
*Redacted*: But I'm not at my best, you'll floor me easily
*Redacted*: if I leave in the middle of the match, it's probably to throw up, just an FYI

Now I don't regret at all pushing him toward playing the match. You don't just quit in the middle of the set after the first match and say "not feeling well, let's do this tomorrow!". Either you don't accept to begin with and postpone until a later date or you forfeit the match if you're really not in a position to continue. We ended up playing the second match anyway where he was doing a bit better but it ended in my win.

Should I have responded differently to this? I don't think I was being inherently unfair to the guy after he chose to accept and we played through the first match.

remz

Should I have responded differently to this? I don't think I was being inherently unfair to the guy after he chose to accept and we played through the first match.

Not your problem if the guy wasn't feeling his best or playing like crap- and it's not up to you to allow him to postpone the fight after he agreed to do it.

I bet if he won the first round he wouldn't be postponing.

Had an interesting situation with one of my matches ... I'l just post a bit of the chat log.

Now I don't regret at all pushing him toward playing the match. You don't just quit in the middle of the set after the first match and say "not feeling well, let's do this tomorrow!". Either you don't accept to begin with and postpone until a later date or you forfeit the match if you're really not in a position to continue. We ended up playing the second match anyway where he was doing a bit better but it ended in my win.

Online scumbag tactics!

Soulstar

Nope. If this was an in person tournament he would have to forfeit, especially after fighting the first match in the set. You were 100% in the right as far as I am concerned.

If he was unsure of himself he should have asked for a couple warmup games to see where he was at physically. It looks exactly like what it sounds like imo

Ravidrath

So is Squigly completely finished now?

Any update on Big Band?

Squigly has some final balance adjustments left, but is otherwise complete.

Big Band is in the very early stages still - we're getting his basic rough stuff in now, like walk, jump, etc. and the occasional normal.

He should be showing up on the stream before too long, I think.

dan2026

Big Band is in the very early stages still - we're getting his basic rough stuff in now, like walk, jump, etc. and the occasional normal.

Ok that's cool.

Thamks for the reply.

I have another 30 or so beta codes to give out. PM me for one.

Your attitude is justifiable, no worries.

Do you think Big Band might have a "get off me" assist? :D

Card Boy

Banned
THANK YOU!

9ZMce.jpg

8-20 Release Notes:

New notes, and I ain't Lion.

• Added horribly ugly connection-quality-indicator border before an online match. Probably not staying. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS PING, this is the type of connection used between the two machines. If you see GREEN with low ping and have terrible lag, tell me. If you see YELLOW or RED, well now, that's between you and your ISP. Though if you live in Japan and see YELLOW or RED, I want to know.

Lobbies
  • Can't kick players currently in a match.
  • Now logging wins for leaderboards, but the leaderboard doesn't show them yet.
  • New default lobby room name, no more Beginner rooms with lazy top players in them. Now the top players really ARE trolling if they do that. :^)
  • Can't join lobbies from invites from different builds.
  • Better notification when you are kicked from a lobby before playing a single game. (Wow, they must really hate you.)
  • Reduced Lobby game start from 15 to 8 seconds. No sound for the countdown yet, that's coming though.

General
  • Skip controller choice screen when only one pad is plugged in. Again.

Gameplay
  • Projectiles created before Stage 3 do not count for undizzy or IPS (Peacock j.HK, Parasoul tears).
  • Projectiles created at the start of a chain in stage 5 can trigger undizzy (Peacock j.MK).

Cerebella
  • Diamond Dynamo bounces everyone the same height and distance now, can followup with F+HP on the whole cast; disable dashing for 13f after the last hit of a successful Dynamo.

Double
  • Flesh Step recovery 8f faster, startup 3f slower...for a total of...let's see, 8 minus 3...er...3-and-to-the-2, and 2-and-to-the-1...5 frames shorter overall!

Filia
  • I'm a nice dude, with some nice dreams...see these Updos? See these ice creams? So cool they had to come back, like a certain Dee-Oh-Double-something-or-other...2-hit M and 3-hit H Updo as point, only multihit if first hit connects. H version back to 1500 dmg if all 3 hits connect. Single-hit M version down to 950.

Fortune
  • Zoom can now catch Cerebella off knockdowns.
  • Attack damage from hitting your own head 500->300.

Peacock
  • Single-button bomb cancels will not come out if done with assist call input. (QCT cancels, and the initial bomb call, will still work with assist calls.) MAN these constant "Waah waah but now I can't ____" are getting annoying...they're staying like this!

Squigly
  • Art fixes for ground and air throws.

Valentine
  • A successful Countervenom is now invincible all the way through the end of the animation. Whoops.

With so much drama in the F-G-C sometimes it's hard bein' Mike-Single-Z

Top Bottom