• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mountain biking

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosseye

Mountain biking! Finest pursuit of them all.

I used to do a huge amount growing up Snowdonia (Wales UK) in my teens. Of course this was the mid-late 90s so the tech was nothing like as advanced as it is now. And then I discovered drink, girls and general laziness and stopped Mountain biking altogether. Apart from some brief dalliances in my late 20s, I didn't do any biking other than commuting.

And then this time last year I got knocked off my bike on the way to work by a car which I was lucky to come out of with only fairly minor injuries, but the bike was a write-off. And then having my mortality forcibly brought home to me I resolved to get back into some of the things I used to enjoy but hadn't done for years once my physiotherapy was complete. Mountain biking was one of them.

So in May this year I bought a decent hardtail (Mondraker Vantage R), and hit the trails near me; and it's brilliant, like I've never been away. It's so much fun, such a rush blasting down a mountain at speed, hitting a jump just right, the noise of the tyres, the rush of the Wind. And it's great exercise too! I'm mostly over at Bikepark Wales and Cwmcarn when I want a proper ride. Currently doing blue and red grade trails but I really want to get involved in the black grade. I've done one black run at Cwmcarn, but I don't think it was a particularly representative of a black run, seemed not as crazy as I'd imagined.

I'm looking at getting a full suss in the new year, probably a Canyon Strive 7 or something along those lines as they're phenomenal value. Much as I love the geometry of the Mondrakers. Canyon give a vastly better spec for the money.

So yeah, mountain biking! Anyone else involved? Favourite bikes? Favourite trails?

maxcriden

The only biking I've successfully done is on scenic Wuhu Island. The place from Wii Fit. And in my living room on the recumbent bike I use daily for exercise. Bit actual hiking I never got the hang of and haven't teied in many years. Any tips for beginning bike riding as an adult? I feel like if I could do it I'd really like it.

Crayon

I love mountain biking. Unfortunately I live out in the Bay Area and all the good trails are legal so we have to pound Fire Road whenever we go out or if we are up for it, risk a ticket for poaching a single track.

I ride a Morewood Ndiza when it's serious business but I'll take any okay hardtail for most the easy trails out here.

IC5

DSCN05112.jpg

2007 Specialized Enduro SL, with some performance and cosmetic upgrades. The front fork is custom valves for my weight and settings preferences. The rear shock is an aftermarket upgrade. It's like magic. No bobbing, but all the plushness, with a positive feel.
The hardtail I built piece by piece in 2010. $1,000 build. Frame was surplus stock from Taiwan.

I generally prefer Specialized. I like their longer wheelbase and they are one of the few companies still making true "medium" size frames. Their geometry is great for average height and proportions. Other brand mediums are pretty big.

bosseye

Yes brother!

Join us in the holy war against the roadies in the GAF Cycling thread....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390893&page=266

On topic, I do everything short of the full on massive gap jump style downhill stuff, though endurance XC is my favourite, and what I train for (these are two of my biggest rides):

https://www.strava.com/activities/410820838
https://www.strava.com/activities/739082272

Edit - Shit, you're local to two of us from the thread too!

Hey, there's a thread. Didn't realise, I'll stick my nose in there, thanks. Also holy shit at your strava, 130 odd miles! Bit far for me.

I enjoy XC, but it's downhill stuff that really gets me grin like a berk. Nothing too aggressive mind, I'm not quite up to leaping mighty gaps just yet. Maybe with more practice and a better bike yo ho ho.

I generally prefer Specialized. I like their longer wheelbase and they are one of the few companies still making true "medium" size frames. Their geometry is great for average height and proportions. Other brand mediums are pretty big.

Long and slack is the fashion of the day.

I enjoy XC, but it's downhill stuff that really gets me grin like a berk. Nothing too aggressive mind, I'm not quite up to leaping mighty gaps just yet. Maybe with more practice and a better bike yo ho ho.

Done all the reds at BPW? There's one in particular that I've crashed on literally every time I've done it, lol, and it's not even the hardest one (Wibbly Wobbly).

banjo5150

I have found a passion in mountain biking. I needed to lose weight started this hobby and I am completly hooked.

I did a search to see if there was a thread on here and this one popped up. Last post was exactly 1 year ago. LOL

I have lost over 100lbs doing this. Any mountain bikers out there gaf? When I am out in the woods on single track just every ounce of stress is gone for that moment. Hard to describe, it's just awesome.

Harusame

Living in Vancouver, I went and tried mountain biking at Whistler two years ago and it was a great experience. I have continued to go back to Whistler for the summer sessions, but I've just been renting bikes to use there. Hopefully, once I finish school, I can buy a downhill mountain bike to call my own. Also, once I do own a good mountain bike, I can try out the North Shore trails as well.

f0nz0

2015 transition scout here

Rode downieville this past Saturday and had a pretty gnarly crash... Luckily didn't break anything, thanks to some tree trunks that stopped me from falling a good 50ft to rocks and water

My gf's father convinced me to join in mountain biking.
Don't regret it. Probably one of the most enjoyable hobby you can have.

He always tell me the one benefit of mountain biking is that your boner is gonna be longer and harder lmao.

dookeh

Been at it for roughly 6 years now--my life revolves around it at this point. Visited Moab and Fruita back in June and it was absolutely amazing.

Current stable:
'16 Kona Process 111
'13 Trek Stache 8
'13 Kona Honzo

Broken bones:
Right clavicle
Right humerus
Left fourth metacarpal
Half of a front tooth :p

Qasiel

Yep, been at it for a while now starting with my Giant Yukon '10 which got stolen from home, to my Specialized Rockhopper which was stolen at a train station and now still riding my Specialized Status 1 '12.

Used to hit up Epping Forest a lot with fellow gaffer MushaSoturi and her bloke a lot, but all of my riding buddies have since moved away and the only action my bike sees these days is as my commuting bike. We also used to go to Chicksands over near Bedford every once in a while and that was a great place to go rip your bike around some woodland trails.

Oh, and if you can, try and get up to Scotland at some point to spectate the Downhill World Cup (if DH is your thing) - Had such a blast watching some amazing riders bomb it down the trails in the past.

Qaseil, you must be nearish to me (I'm in Herts)

I wish I lived near BPW or similar the best I've got is Aston Hill (still very good) or chicksands. I've got a canyon sender which is massively over biked for literally everything bar a full on WC DH course and a pitch which I recently built up from an impulse ebay purchase which can do everything (upgraded to a Fox 36, DHX RC4, XT brakes and full Zee drivetrain) and is much more fun to ride

D6AMIA6N

FUN! GOOD EXERCISE!

I rode a lot when I was in my late teens and early twenties, then completely stopped.

Just picked up a 2018 Trek Fuel EX 8 Eagle this past summer and it has been a blast. Looked at Evil, and Canyon, but ultimately felt Trek was the best fit for me. A ton has changed in the industry in 20ish years or so. Went from a hard tail to full suspension, clipless to flats, 26.5 to 29, tubes to tubeless. Reside in Atlanta, GA so some good stuff (Soap Creek, Big Creek) near me, and great stuff a little drive away. Good times!

Wish I had more time to ride....

I did mountain and general off-road biking (and BMX) ever since I was a young teen, however in 2013 I was involved in a really severe injury from mountain biking where I also had to get therapy to walk again properly. Although I have fully recovered in terms of daily life I have much more strain on my leg during physical exercise in general. I don't think I can ever get fully back into it unfortunately. I have a bad track record with injuries and bicycles, when I was 16 I broke both my wrists on my BMX too.

I agree that it keeps you ridiculously fit. I loved the adrenaline rush too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom