• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5: Welcome to Hope County, Montana teaser videos, full reveal May 26th

ReaperXL7

Yep, it's middle America.

I wonder why?

Uhh, Montana is not middle America

270px-Montana_in_United_States.svg.png

Western/Country it is. The most surprising thing is that PlayStation seems to have the co-marketing on this and Read Dead. They really want to corner the western games market.

Looks like it will probably be cowboys then, right? It will be interesting to see the competition between this and red dead.
What? Did we watch different teasers or something? Nothing screams western or cowboys at all

pTYQQc0.jpg

Now this is interesting. CryEngine.
Yes. Far Cry was powered by CryEngine. Why is that interesting?

Looks like cop in Montana leak was bang on.

Still weird to me that they're deciding to announce all of this 2 weeks from e3. Could've made a big splash at the Ubi conference.

I wonder if the leaks could have forced their hand? Maybe they're rushing to announce it ASAP so they can be the ones announcing it and not some rumor mill or database leak/hack like so many other Ubi reveals. I mean the jig was already starting to be up with the reports of the commercial filming.

Or, maybe they're afraid it'd get buried at E3 and want to be able to have all eyes on it before the floodgates open?

Zukkoyaki

I like Far Cry quite a bit and will reserve full judgment until the full reveal but so far I'm not feeling this. It just doesn't seem like Far Cry to me.

I wonder if the leaks could have forced their hand? Maybe they're rushing to announce it ASAP so they can be the ones announcing it and not some rumor mill or database leak/hack like so many other Ubi reveals. I mean the jig was already starting to be up with the reports of the commercial filming.

Or, maybe they're afraid it'd get buried at E3 and want to be able to have all eyes on it before the floodgates open?

Would guarantee this was to be announced prior to E3 either way

Didn't Bethesda do the with Fallout 4? IIRC they released a trailer a few weeks before E3 as well. Could be to counter leaks or just part of the marketing strategy.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Read that "leak settings" post. Sign me the fuck up if true. I'm down for some religious cult/KKK hunting in FC5.

Simo

Not only that but the game is releasing soon..like possibly 3 to 4 months soon.

Wild West setting confirmed?

Edit: Just saw power lines in the third video so i guess no.

As a reminder to everyone in this thread: Remember that both FC3 and FC4 had the player experiencing flashbacks of natives of the region the action was taking place in, allowing the player to see a bit of the traditional side of the given areas.

This game will center 100% on modern-day, Wild West would simply be used during plot segments and some side-quests.

Montana was founded in 1889, during the height of the gold-rush. So Wild West for flashbacks makes 100000% sense, ESPECIALLY if you consider MC will be a cop, taking control of an old-time Marshall laying down the law and taming the old west in small chunks seems logical.

Topics they could try to lead discussion on include - excessive force and police brutality, racial profiling (assume there will be natives in both modern-day and flashbacks, along with PoC), and possibly how rebellion is viewed depending on era (US was born out of rebellion against the British Empire, if the modern-day has a militia who wants to go against the wishes of the government, they may dwell on that).

Some Ruby Ridge Aryan Nation stuff would make for a really interesting setting. A great fit for Far Cry as well. I haven't touched one since the little I played of 3, but this could get me on board.

Coffinhal

It's not the first time they do this with their games. Far Cry 4 was announced in May a few weeks before E3. AC Syndicate too. This way they get more attention so that people are interested to see gameplay reveal or more at their E3 show - where they'll reveal at lest one new IP. It's a short-window release (4 months) so 3 weeks is a lot for them.

So no, it's not likely that the leaks changed their carefully planned marketing Schedule.

I hope their depiction of Montana looks just like those trailers. Shit would be beautiful. Not a whole lot of games out there that nail that look.

As someone who grew up in Montana I'm excited to see how well they researched the state. I'm definitely going to be going over this game with a fine toothed comb to see how accurate it is to my home state.

Wait, focus testing is still a thing in 2017? I thought we all agreed actual customers are the best source of feedback? The "leaked" details come from an apparent focus tester for the game.

Simo

Huh. I went back and found the Great Falls Tribune article about the live action trailer being made and seems they'd edited it since to remove any mention of Hope County and the size of the game as well as the September release comments.

Ubi ninjas got them. Lol

As a reminder to everyone in this thread: Remember that both FC3 and FC4 had the player experiencing flashbacks of natives of the region the action was taking place in, allowing the player to see a bit of the traditional side of the given areas.

This game will center 100% on modern-day, Wild West would simply be used during plot segments and some side-quests.

Montana was founded in 1889, during the height of the gold-rush. So Wild West for flashbacks makes 100000% sense, ESPECIALLY if you consider MC will be a cop, taking control of an old-time Marshall laying down the law and taming the old west in small chunks seems logical.

Topics they could try to lead discussion on include - excessive force and police brutality, racial profiling (assume there will be natives in both modern-day and flashbacks, along with PoC), and possibly how rebellion is viewed depending on era (US was born out of rebellion against the British Empire, if the modern-day has a militia who wants to go against the wishes of the government, they may dwell on that).

Oh man......oh man stop. My hype. This could be amazing

Top Bottom