• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5: Welcome to Hope County, Montana teaser videos, full reveal May 26th

ViciousDS

Banned
montana is absolutely beautiful

why am I so fucking excited for a modern day far cry in the states........oh because we finally get something in the damn country side instead of the cities!

I wish we had more games take place out in the countryside of the states. The city thing is overdone.......country side is so subtle and can allow some uber fucking landscape shots not offered elsewhere.

Plus there is the possibility of a lot of down time for this game that would allow you to just explore.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Modern day setting with religious cult/nationalist enemies is a perfect way to get me back to playing Far Cry again. It is also the creepiest setting/theme chosen for a far cry game.

bombshell

Ah. There was more to the story though they retracted. It originally revealed Hope County as the location And the surrounding areas.

Oh yeah, looked into the cached view of the page and the first quote I posted originally mentioned Hope County:

"The backstory of the video game, which will be released in September, is of an open world that takes place in an imaginary Hope County, Guillot said."

The size talk was always about the areas they used for the game production, not the actual game.

Now that the thing about the live action trailers turned true, so will the September release too probably.

SliChillax

It's running on CryEngine according to the writing at the end of the video, interesting. No
Dunia engine thankfully, that engine was a buggy mess.

Boke1879

If it's a doomsday cult. Don't be shocked if there is some sort of chemical of some sort that could wipe people out or make them undead.

Far Cry games aren't afraid to go out there.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This will sound stupid, but thinking of a Far Cry Western makes me hope Red Dead has a first person mode ala GTA5

Alebrije

Well there's gonna be a lot less Tiger's biting me in the ass...that's for sure.

You came to the wrong Montana motherf....

images

Think one of the reasons UBI choose Montana is becados the large list of predators you find there.

RedSwirl

they need to turn this into a true detective x twin peaks mashup kinda thing

One of my ultimate dream games would be basically this: Far Cry in the form of a detective story/isolated small town kind of thing.

It's running on CryEngine according to the writing at the end of the video, interesting. No

Might just be old CryEngine code still running around in the Dunia Engine. Dunia was originally based on CryEngine 1 I believe.

A realistic interpretation of Montana would include miles and miles of nothing and no one. A big state (bigger than Japan) and a pop of around 1 million. Then again this could be in a more populous county. I'd just like to play an open world game where there genuinely is miles of nothing. Ghost Recon Wildlands comes close but you still bump into people all over.

I like the teasers. Genuinely creepy.

Morts

So is every outpost going to be a Bundy ranch? I can't wait for the internet to get a hold of this game's politics, real or imagined.

Raven117

montana is absolutely beautiful

why am I so fucking excited for a modern day far cry in the states........oh because we finally get something in the damn country side instead of the cities!

I wish we had more games take place out in the countryside of the states. The city thing is overdone.......country side is so subtle and can allow some uber fucking landscape shots not offered elsewhere.

Plus there is the possibility of a lot of down time for this game that would allow you to just explore.
Agreed. Further, there is just a different level of potential "weirdness" that happens out there in the middle of nowhere.

Coffinhal

Are people here seriously not seeing this is actual real live action footage and not in-engine/CGI ? I hope they are not the same the same that come here and give us technical explanations on downgrades

No competition whatsoever. Rockstar spend 5 years or more developing their gameworlds, Ubi churn out one a year, all good quality but will never match Rockstar.

You're confusing release cycles with development cycles. Their projects take longer than 1 year of development, and of course they don't need 5 years because they recycle things while Rockstar tend to build more things from scratch. In the end they don't play in the same field and that's great.

vypek

Please ubi, for the love of God, do not make me kill exotic animals to make grenade bags in this one.

My biggest complaint with the series has been fighting the animals. Particularly cause they get annoying really fast. It would be nice to have an upgrade system not based on hunting Montana wildlife.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That footnote is present as Dunia is a very heavily modified CryEngine. It's also attached to Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal (2 is a Dunia game, too, despite there being no mention of CryEngine).

Dabanton

I hope to god there will be no mid game twist that involves anything supernatural.

Also to anyone who's played Outlast 2 how far do they push the religious stuff in that game?

I was reading the Reddit leaker who said he was unsure how far a game company would push the Christianity stuff.

Harlequin

Why would crazy religious nut jobs be bashing a guy's head against the Bell there's definitely gotta be more to it than just that

Maybe it's a form of punishment? Maybe they're trying to get him to hear "the Lord's message" because he hasn't been following the rules? Or it's the type of thing they do to people who aren't listening attentively during their preacher's sermons. Doesn't seem very difficult to come up with an explanation for that.

Please ubi, for the love of God, do not make me kill exotic animals to make grenade bags in this one.

Do you consider coyotes exotic animals? Because you'll probably be killing them by the truck load. Hell, if they want to go extra accurate to the location there will probably be an entire activity based around getting payed to kill coyotes.

Lucreto

So Sony are marketing this so it's safe to say Microsoft got Assassin's Creed. I don't think Sony would corner the market on third party titles.

Maybe it's a form of punishment? Maybe they're trying to get him to hear "the Lord's message" because he hasn't been following the rules? Or it's the type of thing they do to people who aren't listening attentively during their preacher's sermons. Doesn't seem very difficult to come up with an explanation for that.
I just assumed the person was dead haha.

I can see them doing a lot of interesting things here. Montana is one of the deepest red states in America, very religious, and you can play a lot with that.

Top Bottom