• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

AFter 1 day with the Switch, with the games Shovel Knight, Zelda, 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips, these are my thoughts:

- I love the screen and the device it self.
- It was actually at first confusing how to remove the joycons from the Switch. I pressed the minus and plus buttons frist to remove it ,didnt' find the button in the back a bit alter.
- Needs more options in the menu, like arranging game iicons, folders
- I need Netflix, YT and a browser, asap
- I need to get a Pro controller, don't like to play Zelda with the joy jons or the joycon holder thing.
- Need better download speeds.
- My country needs better options of screen protectosd. amfilm and orzly aren't avaialble here.

Nintendo should really license tempered glass protector and get it out worldwide ASAP, it looks so good on the device too and makes docking lot more comfortable.
Also agree with those apps, if they make it that it can be full-fledged tablet and gaming device that would be god-sent.

Just attached the dock to my 1440p monitor and to my surprise it scales pretty well, Zelda looks awesome.

wagamer

Has anyone come across a USB C charging cradle that can be used with Switch (and ships to EU)?

From this thread I found this one but it doesn't ship to my country. Sure Hori stand or even the Kid Icarus stand can be used with charging cable, but I'd prefer a simple cradle without the need of a separate cable.

There are probably a lot of compatible cradles, but I don't want to accidently purchase one that doesn't fit the Switch properly.

FaintDeftone

So apparently my dock just stopped working today. I noticed this morning that it didn't charge my Switch overnight. I put it in and out of the dock several times and the Switch wouldn't recognize it. I made sure everything was plugged in and had no issues there.

I unplugged the USB-C power cable from the dock and plugged it into the bottom of the Switch directly and it charged it just fine. So something is up with the dock itself. Any ideas?

SickBoy

IWaking up in a bag/case is a concern of mine too. The Zelda case I have will cause the analog sticks to click in, so I always have the case open and put the Switch in its spot in the case with it plugged in, just so I know nothing will accidentally hit a button.

I'll keep everyone updated. I guess for now the lesson is to be careful with sleep mode while charging :/

Thanks for the response. Best of luck with it. I haven't really had much opportunity to play on the go yet, but I think my default solution may be to power down the system fully when travelling with it — because in that case it seems only the power button will activate it, and that button's much less likely to be accidentally pressed than the home button or some random combination of inputs.

So apparently my dock just stopped working today. I noticed this morning that it didn't charge my Switch overnight. I put it in and out of the dock several times and the Switch wouldn't recognize it. I made sure everything was plugged in and had no issues there.

I unplugged the USB-C power cable from the dock and plugged it into the bottom of the Switch directly and it charged it just fine. So something is up with the dock itself. Any ideas?

I had this issue last week. I was convinced I was going to have to send it in, but thankfully didn't. I'm honestly not entirely sure what fixed it. First I unplugged everything for awhile out of frustration and just played in handheld mode. Then I removed the power adapter from a power strip and plugged it directly into the wall and used a different HDMI cable to go directly into the TV (I'm normally running into a 5 port HDMI switch and then a AverMedia capture device before the TV). It finally started working again.

I'm not positive but it seemed to happen initially when I plugged in my power bank to the dock to charge while the system was in TV mode. Did you plug in anything to the dock before this happened?

nickerous

This has happened to me several times. I keep pulling the switch out, put it back in sleep and try again. Eventually, I get the charging icon. My dock is not hooked to a tv, though. Only power.

FaintDeftone

I had this issue last week. I was convinced I was going to have to send it in, but thankfully didn't. I'm honestly not entirely sure what fixed it. First I unplugged everything for awhile out of frustration and just played in handheld mode. Then I removed the power adapter from a power strip and plugged it directly into the wall and used a different HDMI cable to go directly into the TV (I'm normally running into a 5 port HDMI switch and then a AverMedia capture device before the TV). It finally started working again.

I'm not positive but it seemed to happen initially when I plugged in my power bank to the dock to charge while the system was in TV mode. Did you plug in anything to the dock before this happened?

Nope, nothing plugged into the dock except for the power cable and the HDMI cable. I was fine the last time I played it on my TV but honestly I play it in portable mode more than anything. I'll play around with it again tonight.

Othello is on the US eshop in two days if you feel like waiting without tying funds to your Japanese account. But otherwise you can just log in to your Japanese account on a computer to easily add funds.
Ah! Didn't think it was ever coming to the US. I can wait. Thanks for the heads up!

Dracil

I've been doing it the same way since I bought it, I plug in the usb-c charger, turn the screen off and put it down. I assume I forgot to turn the screen off last night, but if I did it appears the auto sleep failed to work so it sat at the main menu with no activity for 24 hours. I know sometimes I will turn the screen off, then plug in the charger and the screen will turn back on, so then I will have to turn it off again. Maybe I forgot this time, but that definitely shouldn't be something you have to do every time.

I honestly can't remember if the screen was on or not when I picked it up tonight. I was more concerned/perplexed by how warm it was to really notice. But I definitely know I've left the system on once or twice (fell asleep, went to make dinner, whatever) and its always gone into sleep mode from inactivity.

I think I will call NoA even if the burn in fades over time because this to me suggests the auto sleep functionality is not working as intended.

Waking up in a bag/case is a concern of mine too. The Zelda case I have will cause the analog sticks to click in, so I always have the case open and put the Switch in its spot in the case with it plugged in, just so I know nothing will accidentally hit a button.

I'll keep everyone updated. I guess for now the lesson is to be careful with sleep mode while charging :/

Wait, which Zelda case do you have? The special edition sheikah case or something else? Because that sounds like a problem if it's gonna click onto sticks when closed.

I've read all around that people have buffering issues when watching videos on the eShop, has anyone been able to fix that using a plain old Wii/Wii U (or any 2.0) Lan adapter? And can anyone say if that helps with lag on games like Bomberman too? I'm really close to almost buying one (though i know that a 3.0 one would be better, it's just too expensive/unreliable where I live). I got through my whole Wii U's life just fine with the Wi-Fi, but I'm getting concerned that it might not be enough for the Switch...

I'm so excited for Virtual Console. It's a really pretty screen. Want to see some SNES / GBA on there. 🍴

The fact that Neogeo games and now the Seiken Densetsu Collection exist has me slightly worried about how soon we'll be getting an actual VC. I just hope it's sometime this year and not the typical Nintendo drip feed of titles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First time playing Zelda and first time docking to tv.

My joycons both seem to suffer interference :/ at one point I thought the camera was restricted where I was but it was just the right joycon ignoring my input for several seconds

I'm about 8ft from the dock with nothing between. Lots of electronics in the room - it sits next to my vita and 3DS. But it's about two feet to the right of my tv and 8ftvaway from my router

Jelle

I really wish the home screen / quick menu displayed battery percentage, and not just the bar.
There's an option for that. I only discovered this yesterday. You can also tap the battery icon to briefly display the percentage.

So I thought physical launch game purchases were going to be tracked for the whole My Nintendo thing. We didn't get any codes in the cases like we did for Club Nintendo.

Kudo

So I thought physical launch game purchases were going to be tracked for the whole My Nintendo thing. We didn't get any codes in the cases like we did for Club Nintendo.

Each cartridge has ID, press +/- in the start menu on the game thumbnail and you can redeem points for My Nintendo there.

tiijj

According to http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nts_on_nintendo_switch_physical_retail_copies

the direct my nintendo page is gone.

Just like on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, you'll be able to get Gold Points on Nintendo Switch. However, the new console offers two ways to earn them:

Digital purchases
You can earn points by getting your Nintendo Switch games digitally. Whether you purchase them directly on Nintendo eShop or redeem a download code, the points are collected automatically every time. This is similar to Wii U and Nintendo 3DS; however, it now works directly with your Nintendo Account instead of having to go through a Nintendo Network ID as well.

Game Cards
On Nintendo Switch, you can also earn points for games that you bought at a retailer. You can do this directly from the HOME Menu of your Nintendo Switch. Press the + or - Button while the icon of the game you want to register is selected to get to the Options screen . Then, go to "My Nintendo Rewards Programme" and select "Earn Points".

Persona7

Banned
There is a way to make the percentage pop up briefly with a controller too...Can't remember the exact button you tap twice while on the menu.

When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.

It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

Jeez, what the heck. Sorry to see that happen.

Call Nintendo if you haven't, and keep us posted!

My couch is just far enough away that my left Joy-Con doesn't work quite right. But when I move into an armchair that's a little closer, it works fine, even with the Dock behind the TV.

Sucks, but a minor annoyance for now until they inevitably come out with an improved Joy-Con.

valouris

Just go in the game settings while having the cartridge loaded, it's done online, automatically, no need for codes. Just make sure you are using it as the NNID you want to register it to.

Honest Question:

When can one expect a new version of the Switch?

Something like the 3DS -> 3DS XL; A change that fixes or improves the experience.

In the case of the Switch, I'm waiting for a version with improved battery life and less dock issues, and I'm willing to wait until there are more games on it too. (A price cut wouldn't hurt either, honestly.)

Any idea when that'll be?

jackal27

Banned
Honest Question:

Something like the 3DS -> 3DS XL; A change that fixes or improves the experience.

In the case of the Switch, I'm waiting for a version with improved battery life and less dock issues, and I'm willing to wait until there are more games on it too. (A price cut wouldn't hurt either, honestly.)

Absolutely no idea and it may never happen. I'd say you're at least 2-2 1/2 years out if it does get redesign. Their home consoles typically don't get redesigns and if they do, it's several years in. Handhelds get one about 2 years in.

oakenhild

Honest Question:

I would guess there will be small and not-announced revisions to the switch over the next 6 months (joy-con issues, bent dock, etc). Beyond that, the battery is already quite large in the switch, so you're going to be waiting for a while for that, probably 2 years for an actual XL-like revision.

Price cut happens much sooner than that.

jackal27

Banned
I would guess there will be small and not-announced revisions to the switch over the next 6 months (joy-con issues, bent dock, etc). Beyond that, the battery is already quite large in the switch, so you're going to be waiting for a while for that, probably 2 years for an actual XL-like revision.

Price cut happens much sooner than that.
This is wishful thinking at best. I honestly can't see a price cut in the next 6 months. Certainly not until 2018.

Honest Question:

honestly we have no idea as for one of your questions dont expect battery life to improve the switch already has a huge battery in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom