• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warships Enters Open Beta

grmlin

World of Warships is the most fun I ever had in a online competitive game, I think. It's slow, heavily depending on tactics and the free 2 play model is more or less for fast progression, only. Especially the slow pace is perfect for an old man like me (end 30s :D), I can't compete with the reflexes of a 16yo in a shooter anymore.

Premium ships are very nice though, but if you put 100s if not 1000s of hours into a game I think the developer deserves the money.

grmlin

Busy downloading this now.

Does anyone on EU have an invitation referral link?

You could use my referral code if you want to.
You can finde the details here: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.eu

You'll get two premium ships (T2 and T5) if I understand that correctly.

BTW: I highly recommend Notser and iChase for some informative videos about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLILnXuz8ffTNoyphsQt-1fSfeiskK6NlJ
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc05KETkgPsyZHIRZd980cO

You could use my referral code if you want to.
You can finde the details here: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.eu

You'll get two premium ships (T2 and T5) if I understand that correctly.

BTW: I highly recommend Notser and iChase for some informative videos about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLILnXuz8ffTNoyphsQt-1fSfeiskK6NlJ
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc05KETkgPsyZHIRZd980cO

Great, thanks! I saw some other referral links around but I figured asking here would be better, since I think you get a few things as I rank up.

Thanks for the videos too, I'll be sure to give them a look.

Unfortunately, the game is bigger than I thought (downloaded some, then installed, then started downloading again, ugh), so may only be able to finish the download next month. Joy of capped internet.

grmlin

Great, thanks! I saw some other referral links around but I figured asking here would be better, since I think you get a few things as I rank up.

Thanks for the videos too, I'll be sure to give them a look.

Unfortunately, the game is bigger than I thought (downloaded some, then installed, then started downloading again, ugh), so may only be able to finish the download next month. Joy of capped internet.

I don't know if it affects your download speed, but there is an option in the launcher to disable update seeding.

ZEtFmWD.png

And thanks for using my link :) I'll get some flags and moneys if you play

Yeah, I also play WoT so I turned that off. It's less the speed and more that its just too big for what I have left for this month. I'll just finish it on the 1st and study up till then.

DrSlek

Them English floating teabags sure die fast lol.

They're the very definition of glass cannons. Their own guns will overmatch their bow armour when front on. But their AP shells are less likely to bounce than any other nation, their torps are amazing in single fire mode, and the consumables they get are stellar.

So far I have the Caledon. Tonight I should be able to get the Danae. Once I get to the Emerald then I can start making proper use of the RN ships, as that's when they receive the smoke consumable.....it's just the grind through the Caledon and Danae which will be the hard part.

The one thing I really don't like about the RN cruisers so far is the high fire arc of their shells, similar to US destroyers and Cruisers. Its easy to get confused about how long your shells will take to reach the target. When I hold ALT I see my shells will take 7 seconds to reach a target 9km away. But they end up taking nearly 10 seconds, and my shells often end up landing behind the target. Most frustrating.

Bombless

They're the very definition of glass cannons. Their own guns will overmatch their bow armour when front on. But their AP shells are less likely to bounce than any other nation, their torps are amazing in single fire mode, and the consumables they get are stellar.

So far I have the Caledon. Tonight I should be able to get the Danae. Once I get to the Emerald then I can start making proper use of the RN ships, as that's when they receive the smoke consumable.....it's just the grind through the Caledon and Danae which will be the hard part.

The one thing I really don't like about the RN cruisers so far is the high fire arc of their shells, similar to US destroyers and Cruisers. Its easy to get confused about how long your shells will take to reach the target. When I hold ALT I see my shells will take 7 seconds to reach a target 9km away. But they end up taking nearly 10 seconds, and my shells often end up landing behind the target. Most frustrating.

I just XPed my way through until Emerald. And I still have around 140k free xp.

And the first 2 games I did with her I got deleted a couple minutes in haha. It's been a while since I had to learn to play a ship, this is great lol

mitchman

Gold Member
The Belfast is out in the EU shop now. Compared to the other UK cruisers, it has smoke, radar, hydro and not repair. Same 7s smoke, which I glided out of twice in my first and only match in it :)
Still, a single first match and I nailed both their DDs and a BB for 90k dmg, and sailed half the match with only 2000hp left after that first cap. Great fun, reminds me so much about how it is to play the Atlanta (if it had smoke). Sneak around, nail DDs while sitting in smoke with hydro and radar active.
I have the Emerald and it's nowhere near as fun, mostly because the AP is so situational.

grmlin

The Belfast is out in the EU shop now. Compared to the other UK cruisers, it has smoke, radar, hydro and not repair. Same 7s smoke, which I glided out of twice in my first and only match in it :)
Still, a single first match and I nailed both their DDs and a BB for 90k dmg, and sailed half the match with only 2000hp left after that first cap. Great fun, reminds me so much about how it is to play the Atlanta (if it had smoke). Sneak around, nail DDs while sitting in smoke with hydro and radar active.
I have the Emerald and it's nowhere near as fun, mostly because the AP is so situational.

So tempted to buy the Belfast, but I'm not interested in playing the RN cruisers atm, as I think the AP only approach is bullshit.
In a week everybody knows that any angle will reduce the damage a rn cruiser deals significantly. Especially the lower tier ships seem to be the worst cruisers yet

Bombless

So tempted to buy the Belfast, but I'm not interested in playing the RN cruisers atm, as I think the AP only approach is bullshit.
In a week everybody knows that any angle will reduce the damage a rn cruiser deals significantly. Especially the lower tier ships seem to be the worst cruisers yet

The thing with RN AP is plunging fire. You'll almost never hit citadels with it unless it's paper cruisers but it goes through deck armour like butter. Normal cruisers go HE at range and AP in close, RN cruisers shoot AP at range and torps up close.

It's challenging but fun. And most lower tier ships are crap ships anyway.

It's why I think the Belfast is not a good ship for learning RN since it has all consumables and HE shells.
It's overpowered as fuck though!

DrSlek

I just XPed my way through until Emerald. And I still have around 140k free xp.

And the first 2 games I did with her I got deleted a couple minutes in haha. It's been a while since I had to learn to play a ship, this is great lol
Had I known the RN was so close, I'd have saved my free XP. Now I feel like I've wasted it on my Tashkent.

After getting stuck on rank 15 I suddenly steamed through to 12 without a loss. Yeah, one loss, but it doesn't count if you're top of the board.:p

Some of the players in ranked though. There's a reason I got stuck. I especially have a beef with North Carolina captains. They are the worst long distance snipers in existance.

Bombless

I really do not see the point of taking any crate other than the wildcard one. At least as a premium account holder. Gimme all those crappy t1 t2 premium ships lol!

Edit : I've decided to take a break from WoWS until the Overwatch Halloween event ends, I want to grind some more loot boxes. The Royal Navy can wait. Also, holy shit at those Special packs prices on Belfast. It seems Wargaming has found their whales' sweet pricing spot.

Bombless

German BBs are great. They pack a punch and anyone stupid enough to try and close in on you hits the secondaries wall. I'm about to climb up to the Gneisenau myself, can't wait to upgrade to Bismark and have some fun with that 10km death zone.

In Halloween news, god damn, the event is so fun and SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING when people don't follow the fleet and play as a team. So glad I managed to bruteforce it once, I can concentrate on just playing normally now :D

DrSlek

In Halloween news, god damn, the event is so fun and SO FREAKING FRUSTRATING when people don't follow the fleet and play as a team. So glad I managed to bruteforce it once, I can concentrate on just playing normally now :D

The first game my mate and I played together was atrocious. We got to the last couple of kms and died. The only 2 players left abandoned the Transylvania to kill the Rasputin. With 5 mins left they both had to turn around and travel 2 miutes back into range of the ship. The cruiser managed to run himself aground while turning around, so that was great. Then on the way back he tunnel visioned and overshot behind the Transylvania while the entire rest of the team was screaming in chat to "TURN TO STARBOARD!"

Needless to say we lost.

grmlin

The first game my mate and I played together was atrocious. We got to the last couple of kms and died. The only 2 players left abandoned the Transylvania to kill the Rasputin. With 5 mins left they both had to turn around and travel 2 miutes back into range of the ship. The cruiser managed to run himself aground while turning around, so that was great. Then on the way back he tunnel visioned and overshot behind the Transylvania while the entire rest of the team was screaming in chat to "TURN TO STARBOARD!"

Needless to say we lost.

I tried it two times yesterday and I didn't enjoy it at all. Very meh, especially with the teams you have to deal with.

I think I'll live without the camo then.

DrSlek

I tried it two times yesterday and I didn't enjoy it at all. Very meh, especially with the teams you have to deal with.

I think I'll live without the camo then.
Even when losing I still manage to get at least 1 cam. The main benefit is the event being a magnificent credit farmer. You can get 70k credits just for killing 2 zombie ships. There's over 20 of them. 100k for getting 100k damage which is super easy in any ship.

Tonight I've had 2 games so far, and won 1. Both games had a BB go AFK near the start. So I'm surprised we won the second. I won't say no to 500+ free XP.

grmlin

In the end I play the game for fun :)

And this mode clearly wasn't fun, at least for me of course.

Good if you enjoy it :)

Bombless

In the end I play the game for fun :)

And this mode clearly wasn't fun, at least for me of course.

Good if you enjoy it :)

I got 2X camos out of it but at the end of the day I have plenty of cash and xp so i can confortably skip the event now that I've done it a couple times. Now that I think about it maybe that's why people keep going away on these runs, it's quite profitable to just do your missions and repeat.

German BBs are great. They pack a punch and anyone stupid enough to try and close in on you hits the secondaries wall. I'm about to climb up to the Gneisenau myself, can't wait to upgrade to Bismark and have some fun with that 10km death zone.

I'm currently having loads of fun with the Gneis. It helps having a 15 point captain with focus on secondaries. I love that moment in battle where you just can go in and start punishing small groups of enemies. Dd behind me? Focus secondaries on him and give some much needed attention to that BB in front.

grmlin

I gave these RN cruisers a try. FreeXP-ed the Emerald (T5).

OMG, that is by far the worst ship I ever played in WoWs. It's so unbelievable terrible, I can't believe they released these ships like that.
The AP bounces from anything down to a DD if it's angled and the damage itself is laughable.

I get that a ship like the Minotour would be really game breaking with HE, but those lower tier ships simply don't work without.

WTF was WG thinking?

Anyway, was very lucky with some containers lately and got 150.000 Free XP. Thats nice.

Reddit thinks the Missouri will be 800k Free XP, I think that's to expensive for my taste.

Bombless

I gave these RN cruisers a try. FreeXP-ed the Emerald (T5).

OMG, that is by far the worst ship I ever played in WoWs. It's so unbelievable terrible, I can't believe they released these ships like that.
The AP bounces from anything down to a DD if it's angled and the damage itself is laughable.

I get that a ship like the Minotour would be really game breaking with HE, but those lower tier ships simply don't work without.

WTF was WG thinking?

Anyway, was very lucky with some containers lately and got 150.000 Free XP. Thats nice.

Reddit thinks the Missouri will be 800k Free XP, I think that's to expensive for my taste.

Up to Emerald they're crap. The fun starts at the Leander. They require advanced play but are very rewarding.

I'm up to the Fiji now, halfway to Edinborough. Ship is good but I still get deleted once in a while.

Yeah, shells can bounce but your firing rate is good enough to adjust and if you know your shots will bounce then don't shoot. It only helps you get detected :D

Also fire into the superstructure. 6-9k volleys without citadels is hilarious.

I agree. RN were absolute crap up to T5. From there, I'm having AMAZING games. Fiji is tons of fun and beastly if used right.

German DD leaked this morning too... New split for IJN DD are coming very soon...

Missouri (and Steven Seagal event captain) is coming soon.

This game is at an amazing state right now. Give it a try.

grmlin

Everybody is so exited about the damage of AP in BB broadsides in RN cruisers. I don't get it, that the case with all AP shells basically.

Sure, the Minotaur an the Neptune maybe are extrem because of their insane fire rate, but up to them I can do the same in all other cruisers and switch to HE if this is not working.

I'll see if I can force myself to play them more, right now I'm very disappointed.

mitchman

Gold Member
Everybody is so exited about the damage of AP in BB broadsides in RN cruisers. I don't get it, that the case with all AP shells basically.

Sure, the Minotaur an the Neptune maybe are extrem because of their insane fire rate, but up to them I can do the same in all other cruisers and switch to HE if this is not working.

I'll see if I can force myself to play them more, right now I'm very disappointed.

Mostly because RN cruisers have much higher penetration and at slight angles it's much easier to get higher damage salvos than with other nations. So any angling doesn't necessarily negate damage at super structure.

grmlin

Mostly because RN cruisers have much higher penetration and at slight angles it's much easier to get higher damage salvos than with other nations. So any angling doesn't necessarily negate damage at super structure.

so the AP changes after T5? Because I get insane amounts of bounces from everything. It's incredibly frustrating.

Heck, even at T10, a Minotaur shot at me in my Hindenburg yesterday while I angled against her and it was "pling plong plong" all the time. I take more damage from a JP DD shooting HE at me.

mitchman

Gold Member
so the AP changes after T5? Because I get insane amounts of bounces from everything. It's incredibly frustrating.

Heck, even at T10, a Minotaur shot at me in my Hindenburg yesterday while I angled against her and it was "pling plong plong" all the time. I take more damage from a JP DD shooting HE at me.

No, I don't think the AP penetration changes significantly after T5, but the fire power does change a lot from the Fiji and up so some bounces is not the end of the world. But you still need to spread fire and focus on the super structure for angled ships and battleships in general. Fiji and up is where the line gets good, and great from the Neptune and up. Because ap is so much more situational, lack of HE in lower tiers in particular is problematic.
But just make sure you fire at the super structure if ships are angled.

grmlin

No, I don't think the AP penetration changes significantly after T5, but the fire power does change a lot from the Fiji and up so some bounces is not the end of the world. But you still need to spread fire and focus on the super structure for angled ships and battleships in general. Fiji and up is where the line gets good, and great from the Neptune and up. Because ap is so much more situational, lack of HE in lower tiers in particular is problematic.
But just make sure you fire at the super structure if ships are angled.

Well, for the moment I'll play US BBs first. Seagal needs a job. ;)

Wyoming's dispersion is good for a laugh every time lol

mitchman

Gold Member
Well, for the moment I'll play US BBs first. Seagal needs a job. ;)

Wyoming's dispersion is good for a laugh every time lol

Low tier US BBs work best within 10km where dispersion isn't such a problem and their great tanks can be used to its fullest :)

Move over American Piercing shells, British Ballistic Missiles are where it's at
Really though I love these boats, even if they have a tendency to lose 95% of their HP from a battleship firing from the other side of the galaxy.

grmlin

Low tier US BBs work best within 10km where dispersion isn't such a problem and their great tanks can be used to its fullest :)

well, thats the case for most lower tier bbs, no?

Had some decent games in the Wyoming already, looking forward to the rest of the line. I have an Amagi, too, but I stopped playing it a while ago because of the fucked T10 meta. I really hope they'll add some sort of DD cap in the future. 5 vs 6 DDs is like lottery.

mitchman

Gold Member
well, thats the case for most lower tier bbs, no?

Not really, no. IJN BBs are on the squishy side armor-wise, the brawlers are the US and KM BBs, both lines offering better armor protection. IJN does have the range and speed in its favor, though.

Bombless

Move over American Piercing shells, British Ballistic Missiles are where it's at

Really though I love these boats, even if they have a tendency to lose 95% of their HP from a battleship firing from the other side of the galaxy.

I love getting dreadnought medals with my tiny paper ship lol.

Fiji is so good, can't wait to level up to Neptune/Minotaur machine guns haha

DrSlek

Had a fantastic game with my Funkerque last night. Surrounded by 3 BBs, I killed a Warspite powering towards me by shooting the superstructure, but got flanked by a New Mexico and Fuso. I cit penned the Fuso and ordered my secondaries to focus him down.....While I rammed the New Mexico. Killed all 3 within a minute. I died from ramming obviously, but the Fuso was finished of by a fire my secondaries started after I was sunk.

Top Bottom