• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 20% of Xbox One Gamers Finished The Witcher 3

If you are on Windows 10, the Xbox app has been updated and includes unlock percentage for achievements. This one was interesting:

gl1MP8l.png
Now I realize that most gamers don't beat games, but that's a disappointing amount. So only 2 out of every 10 Witcher 3 players finished it on Xbox One. Granted it's a long game. I still expected higher.

Rellik

Yeah, like you said, this is the norm. I see it all the time on the PS4 trophies percentages.

Not even the trophies for completing the tutorial levels in games are at 100%

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
To be fair the Witcher 3 is a huge fucking game. I didn't finish it for months after starting it and I'm a pretty hardcore gamer type. I can easily see a lot more casual people dropping out before the credits start rolling. That said its pretty common even in shorter and simpler games.

For a 50 hour plus game thats kinda impressive.

I think the competion percentage for your normal 6-10 hour game is only around 30 percent

I spent about 60 hours playing Witcher 3, and I'm not even close to finishing it. I was mostly running around clearing out question marks and challenging everyone I could to a game of gwent. This is the curse of open world games.

Is there a statistic like this for pc and ps4? Is there a higher percentage of people that completed the game on those platforms?

edit: I see 26% on steam, pretty interesting.

Like already mentioned, it's pretty impressive looking at PS4 trophies and seeing decently low percentages for trophies that are automatically given during the main game. For major games, too.

I don't think most people finish the video games they buy. Might be a consequence of just there being so much to play these days.

There are wayyyy shorter games out there that have similar or even lower %. It's actually fairly impressive that every fifth owner managed to finish it. There are tons of people who play it for hours and hours and are happy despite never finishing it and people who buy it from a sale (and the game has been on sale a ton at this point) and just check it out for a lil bit.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I played through a shit load of it at launch, I've played around 150 hours getting everything and doing sidequests but I still haven't completed the main story. I believe I only had 2-3 quests left.

Also check HITMAN. Nearly every achievement for that game is still a rare.

IIRC, borderlands was at like 25%, Mass Effect games in the high 30s. Witcher 3 is one of the longest games out there.

The average gamer is older now, and our attention spans are shorter. Plus there are so many games out. It's not a surprise at all. If your game isn't less than 10 hours, 8/10 people aren't going to finish it.

edit: I'd love to see Ni-oh completion rates in a few months.

Not surprised. My brother is a pretty avid gamer, but he rarely finishes a game. I think the last game he finished was Uncharted 4. I don't think he ever finished TW3.

Not surprising. You have alot of people who buy games off hype or huge discounts, Play it for about a week or so, get busy with other things or play games they can pick up and play more and forget about it, and then they get hyped on the next game and the cycle continues.

Ashtar

One of my hobbies is stalking trophies, completion trophies are woefully low.
I do wonder whats the highest completion percentage we can find for a retail game on Xbox or PS4
I doubt it'll be over 40%
edit: hmmmm I find the 40% figure hard to believe
edit 2: that website claims 27.7% of people platinumed AC2.... insanity!

When you've got over 100-200 hours of open-world bloat it's kind of understandable. I imagine it's probably nearly the same percentage with Fallout 4, or Dragon Age: Inquisition or any other modern open-world game.

Of course you still get those people that tell you not to bother with any of the side-content, which is ridiculous.

Pif

Banned
I thought that people who don't finish games were the minority.

I completed it a bit over 100 hours.

The GOTY edition has a separate achievement list, so that might effect the ratio in some ways.

Personally I double dipped with the Xbox version after beating it on PS4 and have only put in about 30 hours, so I'm part of the problem.

Mivey

"Only"? The Witcher 3 is massive, even if you just go for the main story and ignore almost all side content.

iidesuyo

Every Easter Holiday my little cousins stay at my family. They know I have a Playstation 3 & 4, so they bring all their games and play a few minutes before they got bored.

As a result I have countless games in my library that I never meant to play with a handful of trophies.

Top Bottom