• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Updated -

Added Games
1 2 Switch
Snipperclips
Mario Kart 8 DX
Splatoon 2
Super Mario Odyssey

Added Team Notes
Wii Sports team and Brain Age team merged. Developed Miitopia and 1 2 Switch under new producer Kouichi Kawamoto and co-producer Takayuki Shimamura.

RaidenZR

Man, I refuse to believe Mario Odyssey is internal by a top team. Looked like it lacked direction and a true tether to the Mario Universe. The hat had zero charm if that's the gimmick and even the logo looks fan-made.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The main weakness of the Switch right now is its first party support. 2017 is going to be rough for Nintendo.

But unified hardware means no droughts!!

Man, I refuse to believe Mario Odyssey is internal by a top team. Looked like it lacked direction and a true tether to the Mario Universe. The hat had zero charm if that's the gimmick and even the logo looks fan-made.

Mario looks great and the hat is perfect as a power up.

I think each slice looks great individually, but I do agree that I don't totally see the connections and direction for everything put together.

TheMoon

are we going through the 3D Mario routine again? :D

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Is that confirmed that 1 2 Switch is developed fully internally?

It's from Kouichi Kawamoto's internal group. There's also been parents for Nintendo programmers using the technology used in some of those mini-games. I bet Goro Abe is the director.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Production Group Tokyo No. 1 - DS Guide Series
Production Group Tokyo No. 2 - 3D Mario / Flipnote Studio / NES Remix - Making Super Mario Odyssey.

Yo, you sure about these two? Why would Group 2 be responsible for the Mario games when that was the first series Tokyo started?

KooopaKid

Banned
So there's 800 developers within Nintendo.
Quick estimation: Given that a big HD game needs about 100 developers over 2 years at the minimum, it means Nintendo can produce roughly 4 big HD games per year.
This year we have Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath Of The Wild/MK8D (Counting them as 1 as dev is finished). Arms isn't that big, so it looks there's room for Pikmin 4 or something.
Naughty Dogs alone is 1/4 of Nintendo internal teams.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yo, you sure about these two? Why would Group 2 be responsible for the Mario games when that was the first series Tokyo started?

Takao Shimizu (VS Excitebike, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Stadium) was the producer of Tokyo Group 1. When Koizumi was promoted from director to producer, he split off into group 2 to continue the 3D Marios series. Then Koizumi got promoted again to General Manager, and Koichi Hayashida became new group 2 manager.

So there's 800 developers within Nintendo.
Quick estimation: Given that a big HD game needs about 100 developers over 2 years at the minimum, it means Nintendo can produce roughly 4 big HD games per year.
This year we have Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey and Breath Of The Wild/MK8D (Counting them as 1 as dev is finished). Arms isn't that big, so it looks there's room for Pikmin 4 or something.
Naughty Dogs alone is 1/4 of Nintendo internal teams.

There's a reason why Platinum Games has 200 developers and make 3-4 HD games at a time. They heavily outsource art. Nintendo has started outsourcing art as well. Technically Nintendo does the lead art and hires out the filler asset work.

So speculation Time
[Nintendo]

Production Group No. 1- Mario Kart / Nintendogs - Making Arms and Mario Kart 8 DX possibly Mario Kart 9?
Production Group No. 2- Splatoon / Animal Crossing - Making Splatoon 2 and Animal Crossing Mobile possibly Animal Crossing Switch?
Production Group No. 3- Zelda 3D / Zelda 2D - Making The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Production Group No. 4- 2D Mario / Pikmin - ????possibly NSMB Switch?
Production Group No. 5- Wii Fit / Star Fox / Steel Diver - Making Tank Troopers (co-developed with Vitei)
Production Group No. 6- Brain Age / AR Games and Wii Sports / Nintendo Land - Making Miitopia and 1 2 Switch possibly Nintendoland Sequel?
Production Group No. 7- Tomodachi Life / Miitomo / Rhythm Tengoku - ???? possibly Rhythm Tengoku Switch?
Production Group No. 8- Band Brothers / etc. ??
Production Group Tokyo No. 1 - DS Guide Series
Production Group Tokyo No. 2 - 3D Mario / Flipnote Studio / NES Remix - Making Super Mario Odyssey
Smart Device Production Group - Miitomo / Super Mario Run (co-development with above teams)
External Production Groups - Fire Emblem / Kirby / Style Savvy / Pokemon / etc.

[Additional 1st Party / 1.5 Party Developers]

Nintendo Software Technology - Developed Super Mario Maker for 3DS and Mini Mario & Friends - Amiibo Challenge. possibly Mario Maker Switch?
Nintendo Technology Development - Developing technology for Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo European Research & Development - Developed emulator for NES Mini and DS emulator for Wii U.
Nintendo Network Service Database - Developed network software?
ND Cube - Developed Mario Party: Star Rush and Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival.possibly Mario Party Switch?
Retro Studios - Developed Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. possibly DKCR3 or Metroid Prime 4?
Monolith Soft - Developed Xenoblade Chronicles X, now developing Xenoblade 2/
1-Up Studio - Graphic Cooperation Studio.
Mario Club - Debug Cooperation Studio.

HAL Laboratory - Developed Kirby: Planet Robobot and Picross 3D Round 2.possibly Kirby Switch?
Intelligent Systems - Developed Fire Emblem Fates and Paper Mario: Color Splash.possibly Fire Emblem Switch?
Creatures - Developed Great Detective Pikachu.
Pux Software - Developed software tools.

AlphaDream - Developed Mario & Luigi series.possibly Mario & Luigi Switch?
Arzest - Developed Mini-Games for Streetpass Mii Plaza DLC and Mario & Sonic Olympics.possibly Mario & Luigi at Pyeongchang and Tokyo Olympics?
Camelot - Developed Mario Tennis, Mario Golf, and Golden Sun series.possibly Golden Sun Switch?
Chunsoft (of Spike-Chunsoft) - Developed Mini-Games for Streetpass Mii Plaza DLC and Mario & Sonic.
DeNa - Co-Developed My Nintendo, also involved in assisting Nintendo mobile games.
Eighting - Helped develop the Mini-Games found in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo.
Genius Sonority - Developed Pokemon Shuffle for 3DS and Mobile.
Good-Feel - Developed Yoshi's Woolly World and Streetpass Mii Plaza DLC. possibly another Yarn game for Switch? Epic Yarn 2, Wooly World 2?
Game Freak - Developing Pokemon Sun / Pokemon Moon.possibly Pokemon Stars?
Grezzo - Developing Ever Oasis.possibly Ever Oasis Switch port?
Grounding - Developed Nintendoji and Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword.
Headstrong Games - Developed Disney Art Academy and Pokemon Art Academy.possibly Battalion Wars... nah its going to be art academy switch
Indies Zero - Developed Realistic Escape Game and Co-Developed NES Remix.
Jamworks - Developed small budget games like Culdcept Revolt and Nintendo Pocket Football.possibly Culdcept Switch?
Jupiter - Developed MyNintendo Picross and Quiz Travel Nicky.
Next Level Games - Developed Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.possibly Luigi Mansion Switch?
Prope - Developed Mini-Games for Streetpass Mii Plaza DLC.
Sora - Content planning for Smash Bros. series and Kid Icarus series.possibly Smash 4 Port?
Skip - Still alive sort of, developed Chibo Robo and Artstyle series..possibly Chibi Robo Switch?
Syn Sophia - Developed Style Savvy series. possibly AKI Wrestling Switch... nah its going to be style savvy
Tantalus Media - Developed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD.they seem to work on a port?
Valhalla Games - Developed Devil's Third and developing Momotaro Dentetsu.Momotaro sold pretty well on 3DS and probably saved their asses.. so another game?
Vanpool - Developed Chibi Robo: Zip Lash and Dillon's Rolling Western.possibly Dillon Switch?
Vitei - "Extension of Nintendo" that co-developed games like Steel Diver series, Tank Troopers and Theta.possibly Tank Troopers Switch?

I was a little disappointed at the lack of "small" titles at their unveiling, as one thing I'm hoping the Switch allows is for Nintendo to simultaneously work on "big" titles (BOTW, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, etc.) while also releasing budget releases (ALBW, Mario 3D Land, Captain Toad, etc.). I hope we'll see games that reflect this model, as it'll really ease the game between releases of their big budget games. More experimental titles, maybe weird remakes of older games? Weird Kirby games, uprezzes of old NES/SNES classics, ports/remasters of the Zelda remakes, etc would all be nice to see.

MDX

I was a little disappointed at the lack of "small" titles at their unveiling, as one thing I'm hoping the Switch allows is for Nintendo to simultaneously work on "big" titles (BOTW, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, etc.) while also releasing budget releases (ALBW, Mario 3D Land, Captain Toad, etc.). I hope we'll see games that reflect this model, as it'll really ease the game between releases of their big budget games. More experimental titles, maybe weird remakes of older games? Weird Kirby games, uprezzes of old NES/SNES classics, ports/remasters of the Zelda remakes, etc would all be nice to see.

You see ARMS as a big Nintendo title?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Not much news to report, but Band Brothers (Jam With The Band) might be coming to Switch. The original 3 titles were developed in-house, while the most recent 3DS outing was produced by Nintendo but developed by IS.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
One project not accounted for: at this point we don't know who's on the Pikmin adventure for 3DS, do we?

Most likely it's co-developed by the Nintendo EPD Pikmin team and maybe Vanpool? Or Arzest? Who knows. I doubt it's completely outsourced but we will probably find out soon.

Jubenhimer

One thing I would really like to see is a New IP from EPD 7, AKA, the Rhythm Heaven team. I personally think they're Nintendo's most creative studio, and I'd like to see what kind of game they'd come up with while not doing WarioWare or Rhythm Heaven.

Is this thread regularly updated like the other two? Hopefully getting my Switch this month (God willing lol) and definitely want some updates on what WiiU games are coming over to Switch. So far, I have Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario bought and pre-ordered. Are their any rumors to Smash brothers being ported?

The Giant

Banned
Is this thread regularly updated like the other two? Hopefully getting my Switch this month (God willing lol) and definitely want some updates on what WiiU games are coming over to Switch. So far, I have Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, and Mario bought and pre-ordered. Are their any rumors to Smash brothers being ported?

It will be updated after the next direct and when E3 happens.

Pretty much. Nintendo is being very quiet at the moment. Hoping for a late April Direct and E3 this June for some major bombs to update the thread.

The big (and scariest) question is: what if they don't reveal everything at the E3? This might lead to the conclusion they are facing internal structural problems, hence the recent over secrecy. Really, they should at least reveal something during this time period. This whole silence makes the situation suspicious, actually.

The big (and scariest) question is: what if they don't reveal everything at the E3? This might lead to the conclusion they are facing internal structural problems, hence the recent over secrecy. Really, they should at least reveal something during this time period. This whole silence makes the situation suspicious, actually.
Zelda seems to be keeping the Switch's sales up, and Mario Kart is not that far away now. I don't think they need to be in a rush yet.

Zelda seems to be keeping the Switch's sales up, and Mario Kart is not that far away now. I don't think they need to be in a rush yet.

I agree. A big 1st party game every month or so is a great strategy, at least commercially if not for the hardcore owners with too much time on their hands…

I agree. A big 1st party game every month or so is a great strategy, at least commercially if not for the hardcore owners with too much time on their hands…

Big first party about once a month with smaller titles, 3rd parties, and indies in between. Hopefully we also get VC releases soon as well.

Josh5890

Pretty much. Nintendo is being very quiet at the moment. Hoping for a late April Direct and E3 this June for some major bombs to update the thread.

I fell like an April direct is almost a guarantee. But then again we are talking about Nintendo lol

Yea, I don't get some people. I have a pretty decent amount of free time after graduating from college, and I am finding myself with too many games to play. Nintendo doesn't need to release a new game every two weeks to make me happy. Indies do a great job of filling the library for me. All I need is that VC Nintendo

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

I really don't think there is anything to worry about. I'm kind of believing we will see a retail first party game every month this year. There's definitely a strong second half they have yet to announce for the Switch. Truthfully, they also have a ton of 3DS localizations and supposedly a few surprise first party games left to announce.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Updates
- Denyu-sha confirmed they developed/co-developed Swapdoodle for 3DS. (as expected)
- Eighting confirmed they developed the 2 mini-games found in Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome Amiibo. Nintendo developed the expansion in-house with the two mini-games assisted by Eighting. One of the mini-games being a port from NDCubes work on Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (as previous posted)
- Arzest has been linked by Australian Classification Boards as developer/co-developer of Hey Pikmin for 3DS.

Top Bottom