• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo First-Party Thread: The Teams, The Games, The Future

Really hope Next Level are working on Luigi's Mansion 3, Dark Moon was good but a few changes could make it great

Every now and then I just think about how great Luigi's Mansion would play and look on the Switch. Really hoping we get that sooner rather than later.

Really hope Next Level are working on Luigi's Mansion 3, Dark Moon was good but a few changes could make it great

If Next Level are assigned to a follow-up to something they've done already, my first choice by a considerable margin would be Mario Strikers.

Like I've said many times before, people seemed to think Federation Force was some bizarre nonsensical thing that Nintendo greenlit for no good reason and to no perceptible demand, but I can understand why putting Next Level on a project like that was a good idea when Dark Moon was precisely a case of taking an exploration-based game, breaking it into mission-sized chunks for portable play, and implementing a multiplayer mode on top—all to considerable success, especially in Japan, where its performance was unprecedented for a western-developed entry in a first-party IP.

I liked Dark Moon well enough despite the blandness of the ghost designs, and would love to see Luigi's Mansion back, but I don't know if what NLG did well with Dark Moon would necessarily translate to a good LM3 that brings back a console-scale experience in a more seamlessly traversable environment.

Neiteio

I'd also love Next Level Games to make another Mario Strikers. The Strikers series is one of the best Mario spinoffs — second only to Mario Kart, IMO.

Mario Strikers Charged, in particular, was incredible. Just loads of style, humor, and rainbow-hued darkness. Everything about it was SO COOL — from the sound of rolling thunder on the menu screen, making you feel like you were revving up for a fight... to the bloodthirsty crowds and creative stage gimmicks, like cows flying across the field during a storm... to the delightful antics of the characters: Waluigi's crotch chop, Daisy licking her finger and touching her butt in a sizzle of steam, etc.

Strikers is a game where every character is "The Luigi Death Stare." It's hilarious. The action is intense, and the atmosphere is off the charts. I want another one! A game like this, where the camera is drawn back, would benefit greatly from HD resolutions. Also, imagine feeling every bone-crunching tackle with HD Rumble!

I really, really, REALLY want a Mario Strikers: Third Strike. But barring that, I'd also happily accept a Luigi's Mansion 3. A new LM with Switch's graphics would melt minds. :)

I'd also love Next Level Games to make another Mario Strikers. The Strikers series is one of the best Mario spinoffs — second only to Mario Kart, IMO.

Mario Strikers Charged, in particular, was incredible. Just loads of style, humor, and rainbow-hued darkness. Everything about it was SO COOL — from the sound of rolling thunder on the menu screen, making you feel like you were revving up for a fight... to the bloodthirsty crowds and creative stage gimmicks, like cows flying across the field during a storm... to the delightful antics of the characters: Waluigi's crotch chop, Daisy licking her finger and touching her butt in a sizzle of steam, etc.

Strikers is a game where every character is "The Luigi Death Stare." It's hilarious. The action is intense, and the atmosphere is off the charts. I want another one! A game like this, where the camera is drawn back, would benefit greatly from HD resolutions. Also, imagine feeling every bone-crunching tackle with HD Rumble!

I really, really, REALLY want a Mario Strikers: Third Strike. But barring that, I'd also happily accept a Luigi's Mansion 3. A new LM with Switch's graphics would melt minds. :)

More online game would be a good idea. Might help Nintendo 'justify' charging for online play.

Also because Strikers is awesome.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

The Mario Sports catalog has taken a nose dive in sales and quality the last few years. I think it may have to live on through Virtual Console for a while. I rather their internal and external first-party studios push to broaden the IP catalog anyway.

Next Level Games can only make so many games. I'm hoping Luigis Mansion 3 comes before Mario Strikers. I really enjoyed Mario Strikers, but with the big sales of Dark Moon I think Nintendo will want a LM3 first.

Guess I'm the only one who desperately wants a new Punch-Out!! from NLG.

I'd of course be happy with a new Luigi's Mansion or Mario Strikers as well.....but Punch-Out!! is my jam.

CazTGG

I'd of course be happy with a new Luigi's Mansion or Mario Strikers as well.....but Punch-Out!! is my jam.

The way I see it, Arms is a sort of spiritual successor to Punch Out!! (complete with questionable stereotypical designs) so perhaps that could fill that Little Mac void if it turns out to be good.

TheMoon

The way I see itl Arms is a sort of spiritual successor to Punch Out!! (complete with questionable stereotypical designs) so perhaps that could fill that Little Mac void if it turns out to be good.

I don't see how the gameplay is in any way similar to Punch Out warranting the spiritual successor connection or how there are questionably stereotypical designs.

LordKano

As long as NLG doesn't even think about approaching Luigi's Mansion or Metroid again, I'll be fine with whatever they release.

I want a new Mario Party in the vein of the N64 titles. I think Nintendo is listening and I can see Mario Party going back to its roots.

They tried the car mechanic and it was alright. I have no problem with trying something new, but it didn't work out.

The way I see it, Arms is a sort of spiritual successor to Punch Out!! (complete with questionable stereotypical designs) so perhaps that could fill that Little Mac void if it turns out to be good.

I'm dying to play ARMS (and hope for a Little Mac cameo!), but it definitely won't scratch the Punch-Out!! itch I've had for almost eight years.

Zalman

I want a new Mario Party in the vein of the N64 titles. I think Nintendo is listening and I can see Mario Party going back to its roots.

They tried the car mechanic and it was alright. I have no problem with trying something new, but it didn't work out.
Mario Party is such a perfect fit for Switch. Really hope they go back to the roots.

VDenter

Banned
Intelligent Systems is probably working on a new Paper Mario game. Color Splash started development as soon as Sticker Star was finished. Same goes for TTYD after the original. They seem to start working on the next entry immediately after the last one gets finished.

Aldric

As long as NLG doesn't even think about approaching Luigi's Mansion or Metroid again, I'll be fine with whatever they release.

Dark Moon was good, it just needed less handholding which seems to be something Nintendo has become aware of with Zelda and 3D Mario, so l'm confident LM3 could be pretty great.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Intelligent Systems is probably working on a new Paper Mario game. Color Splash started development as soon as Sticker Star was finished. Same goes for TTYD after the original. They seem to start working on the next entry immediately after the last one gets finished.

Three Fire Emblem games has definitely drained a lot of resources. Who knows. The Paper Mario IP like Mario Sports IP are both on downward spirals.

Next Level Games can only make so many games. I'm hoping Luigis Mansion 3 comes before Mario Strikers. I really enjoyed Mario Strikers, but with the big sales of Dark Moon I think Nintendo will want a LM3 first.

I was hoping for another Punch-Out but with ARMS emerging, it doesn't seem like a project Nintendo would fund at this moment.

Ninja Dom

The Mario Sports catalog has taken a nose dive in sales and quality the last few years. I think it may have to live on through Virtual Console for a while. I rather their internal and external first-party studios push to broaden the IP catalog anyway.

Mario Sports Superstars on 3DS is supposed to be very good.

I just hope a lot of the biggest franchises from the 3DS, including Luigi's Mansion, comes to the Switch. I mean, if the Switch really is the successor to the 3DS (and it should be), then they should all come to the Switch, including those that you normally would not see on a home console, like 2D Zelda.

ITSMILNER

With Luigi's Mansion 3, the 2 changes I would want them to make is to remove the mission based structure where they pulled you out every time you beat one and make better checkpoints. I would love big, open, multiple mansions again with various themes for each.

With Punch-Out, I would be happy with a HD Remaster of the Wii game.

Roo

I certainly would love a new Luigi's Mansion game. Loved the first one and Dark Moon was decent so I hope they get around the IP again soon.

Won't even bother to hope for a new Strikers game. As previously pointed out, the quality of all the sports focused games seems to get worse and worse with every new title.

To this day I still can't believe they released such a barebones game as Tennis Ultra Smash.
Wonder who looked at it and said: "Yes, this is good enough"

Cerium

Dark Moon was a worldwide best seller, a proven recipe for success, and also quite unique.

If I had to guess, I would say it is indeed Luigi's Mansion 3. I wonder if Next Level has the chops to take that next step in scale.

Axass

Next Level Games are a good developer, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Mario Strikers prove it, even though LM2 feels inferior to the original and Strikers is hard as nails.

Too bad they got stuck on Federation Force for who knows how much time.

I'm hoping for a Luigi's Mansion 3 as well, as long as they try to find a middle-ground between the original and their take.

Neither of these statements are true. The real truth lies in the middle. :D
The fact it reviewed badly is very much true if you ask me. :)

VDenter

Banned
I personally felt LM2 was a much superior game to the first one. The controls felt tighter and the game was way more fleshed out and had much more content . The original felt too shallow and short. Despite it having a much bigger Mansion to explore. I know some people felt turned off by the mission structure of the second game but to me it made perfect sense for a handheld game.

So i hope Next level is working on the third game. At the very least to help them recover from the last disaster they worked on.

With Luigi's Mansion 3, the 2 changes I would want them to make is to remove the mission based structure where they pulled you out every time you beat one and make better checkpoints. I would love big, open, multiple mansions again with various themes for each.

With Punch-Out, I would be happy with a HD Remaster of the Wii game.

I'm pretty sure they went with a mission structure because it worked better with a handheld. Nintendo looks at the Switch as a console so it should go back to being more open.

ITSMILNER

I'm pretty sure they went with a mission structure because it worked better with a handheld. Nintendo looks at the Switch as a console so it should go back to being more open.

That's what I'm hoping, I hated being pulled out of the levels all the time.

Realistically, can we expect more first party games being announced for release this year? Either remasters or something new?

Trevelyan

Banned

Realistically, can we expect more first party games being announced for release this year? Either remasters or something new?
Absolutely. Nintendo is most famous for doing that.

TheMoon

Remember the rumored Rabbids/Mario crossover RPG thing? That's still on the table. Plus they always announce more games for the 2nd half at E3.

ITSMILNER

Ahh forgot the Rabbids thing, plus the rumoured Smash Deluxe port. I wonder if Mario Maker Switch will also come this year?

Salvadora

I don't think it makes sense for Nintendo to port Mario Maker to Switch for a variety of reasons.

3DS version already exists (selling > 1m in Japan) & it would compete with Super Mario Odyssey during the holiday season,

Mario Maker 2 for 2018.

Yeah the Mario X Rabbids I can see being announced. Maybe a Smash port. Not sure if the Pokémon game is coming.

Remember the rumored Rabbids/Mario crossover RPG thing? That's still on the table. Plus they always announce more games for the 2nd half at E3.
Yep this is how Nintendo is. They never announce a full years schedule. E3 will have more Nintendo first party announcements for this year.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Every now and then I just think about how great Luigi's Mansion would play and look on the Switch. Really hoping we get that sooner rather than later.

I think the first party game that's using UE4 will be Luigi's Mansion 3. The material and lighting will be insane. LM2 already looks phenomenal on 3DS considering its very limited hardware. Look at the DF video of the visual leap between MK7 and MK8 then imagine the graphical leap in a LM game regardless of engine!

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

That's not a first-party game (at least not yet?). I doubt Nintendo is publishing the game anywhere. I also don't really think it's a Nintendo caliber holiday title as far as sales are concerned.

I don't think it makes sense for Nintendo to port Mario Maker to Switch for a variety of reasons.

3DS version already exists (selling > 1m in Japan) & it would compete with Super Mario Odyssey during the holiday season,

Mario Maker 2 for 2018.

That seems spot on. Nintendo probably made a decision Switch or 3DS, and 3DS offered the more straightforward port. We will probably see a true sequel sometime in 2018.

I believe the holiday tentpoles will be Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars.

A one two punch.

3D Mario. Smash DX and Pokemon. That's your holiday 2017 drivers.

Aldric

What about Sakurai? He's supposed to be working on a new game right? Could it be multiplatform or is it safe to say it'll be a Switch exclusive?

What about Sakurai? He's supposed to be working on a new game right? Could it be multiplatform or is it safe to say it'll be a Switch exclusive?
Yeah he said we was working on a new game last year I thought. Anybody else can make a Smash port while Sakuria makes a new game.

Also, Nintendo may not publish Mario X Rabbids like Ninja said. I think it would then belong to Ubisoft

In all honesty I don't see an enhanced Smash 4 Switch port happening at this point.

Like, what reliable rumors are even left for it at this point? Serkan Toto said it was happening, but he also said it would be out for launch, which obviously didn't happen. There's also Laura Kate Dale who's just LOL. Her source said that the last Smash amiibo were being held back for the port, but then look what happened. I think at this point, we're just expecting it because "well, they're doing it for Mario Kart..."

I think we need to rewatch the ending of the last Smash Bros. broadcast from December 2015. With the way Sakurai recounts the total amount of characters, stages, etc in the game, the way he does a big goodbye speech at the end, and how he caps off the whole thing with a bang and literally some fireworks at the end, it all makes it really loud and clear that he's very much finished with the game and that the entire Smash 4 project is over and done with. I just don't see Sakurai doing all of that, only to turn around and say "LOL JK here's some more shit".

I think he's probably just moved on to a new project similar to the likes of Kid Icarus or Meteos. It will probably be quite some time before we get news of a brand new Smash Bros.

Top Bottom