• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I don't really see anything new from the latest specs thread. The only thing I gleaned is... No wonder we're hearing all these 3rd party complaints about the CPU. It's based on a chip none of them ever used...

I've come to the point that I can't stand discussions about specs. Soooooo much wankering over assumptions, undefined terms, and theoretical maximums. But in the end, no system is ever remember for its specs... so why give a damn?

I'm most excited for Wii U press conference because it means there will be at least a good 4 minutes of discussion about games (5 if I read slow)... granted, it'll come after the 6 hours over troll bait, but still...

//rocks back and forth//
Just two more days.
Just two more days.
Just 2 more days.
2 more days.
2 more day
2 more day 2moreday 2moreday 2mordays
2moredy 2more 2 2 2
2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
2 2 2

Anyone expecting big budget games at launch(they take a lot of time) are completely naive, those expecting them at E3 were somewhat sane.

Those expecting them Thursday are completely insane(though I hold out some hope).

People seem to forget Nintendo, they'll eventually show the new Mario and Retro game and everyone will forget about all the bullshit for a period of time, then go back to mocking.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
That's just it - he is not giving you bits of info. He is passing on what he reads on message boards and filling in some speculation.

Honestly I find it a little distasteful that they guy is basically purposely misleading people without the technical knowledge or experience to know better.

What actual information has he shared with you? That the Wii-U will heavily rely on compute shaders? That's his speculation based on leaks that it supports compute shaders in some form paired with rumors of a weakish CPU. From those two things it's tempting to conclude that the idea is for compute shaders to make up the difference, sure. Does he actually know that is the case? No. Absolutely not.

You guys are asking him stuff like "will ports from PS4 be possible" and "will Samaritan or UE4 run on this?" Wtf. The guy has never even done console development! How the hell does he know? Lol.

Is that PS4 game going to use compute shaders to implement a tiled forward rendering model? Well if the Wii-U compute shader support is not that good a port would require an engine rewrite. Is that the case? I have no idea and neither does bg. The idea that he can answer questions like those is absolutely crazy. You might as well just throw darts at a dart board.

Edit: For people saying he has real information: what is it?

Can someone make a clear and concise list of information bgassassin has provided that wasn't just taken from a message board? And I mean specific Wii-U information, not general PC component information.

Trust me dude, just drop it. Personally, I side with you here, but I believe BG hasn't done any real harm (unlike others) to deserve being relentlessly called out in the manner you have. In two days, hopefully these "prophets" will be a thing of the past, and we can move onto different (and imo better) topics.

Semi on-topic, It's pretty sad that we have a 20+ page WiiU Tech topic on the front page, but yet the main conversation of this thread is........
wait for it.....
Specs.

DynamicG

Dont get why people are suddenly turning hostile to BG and other sources. The leak today is nothing new at all.

Its the same recycled stuff that Gaf has discussed for months. The information leaked isn't even complete as they have left off things and misspoke on others.

This is what I don't get. There is little new information in that leak. Some of it was known a year ago. Even the rumors of 3 Broadway's strapped together is months old. The knee jerks and freak outs are pretty funny though.

Thanks nordique, but you don't have to do all that. It's not my intent to mislead anyone. I pursue accuracy over anything else. I wanted to know more about the console I hope to purchase and when the opportunities to gain info presented themselves, I jumped on it. And from there present the info in a tangible manner for others who want to know as well while not getting people in trouble.

And thanks blu. We all know how secret Nintendo is about this stuff. So I'm just trying to piece together as much info as possible and fill in the gaps till someone cracks open an actual Wii U.

Duuuuude your source is a random ign board user lol.

SHHHHH!!!! You're letting out all my secrets!

This is what I don't get. There is little new information in that leak. Some of it was known a year ago. Even the rumors of 3 Broadway's strapped together is months old. The knee jerks and freak outs are pretty funny though.

You're not doing anything to help the spread of misinformation.

Thanks nordique, but you don't have to do all that. It's not my intent to mislead anyone. I pursue accuracy over anything else. I wanted to know more about the console I hope to purchase and when the opportunities to gain info presented themselves, I jumped on it. And from there present the info in a tangible manner for others who want to know as well while not getting people in trouble.

And thanks blu. We all know how secret Nintendo is about this stuff. So I'm just trying to piece together as much info as possible and fill in the gaps till someone cracks open an actual Wii U.

SHHHHH!!!! You're letting out all my secrets!

If there's anything to that 2.5/3D stacking, a tear-down might not tell much?

I think people here continue to overestimate the extent of the correlation between Wii U's performance and its likelihood of getting multiplatform titles.

Trust me dude, just drop it. Personally, I side with you here, but I believe BG hasn't done any real harm (unlike others) to deserve being relentlessly called out in the manner you have. In two days, hopefully these "prophets" will be a thing of the past, and we can move onto different (and imo better) topics.

Semi on-topic, It's pretty sad that we have a 20+ page WiiU Tech topic on the front page, but yet the main conversation of this thread is........
wait for it.....
Specs.
Truth!

Posted?
Ayane goes playable in Wii U version of Ninja Gaiden III
I dont know if its new or not since I havent been following this much since the PS360 one was crap :\

For those familiar with NG3, do you think Tecmo could fix it, or is it so badly designed beyond repair from the start that no way it can be redeemed?

At first I was very interested in purchasing NG3 and Darksiders 2, but upon reading lukewarm/underwhelming reviews of PS360 versions I am more inclined to buy at launch instead Arkham city/Assassin's creed3/Mass effect3, I'm looking forward for hands-on to make myself an idea though.

Then they got nothing. If they can't get simple current gen 3rd party ports they might as well call it "The if-you're-lucky 3 interesting Nintendo games a year and lots of shovelware" console. If people thought 2011 was a year with little software for a Nintendo console you're in for a surprise, because it's certainly not going to get better.

Not Nintendo's fault at all that their easily portable new system isn't being used by third partys.

There's nothing they could have done any better to get current generation third party ports.

No one is buying the Wii U for third party games, they're just a bonus and a convenience that you can play them on the system if that's your primary system.

I wouldn't call endless IPs that are almost all guaranteed to be great to stellar games "nothing".

Nintendo fans are used to droughts.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dont get why people are suddenly turning hostile to BG and other sources. The leak today is nothing new at all.
People aren't. But hey, I'm always in for a good dose of skepticism! Doubly so when the latter is exercised on bg's back ;p Beats pages full of 'are we there yet' 3 out of 5 times ; )

Its the same recycled stuff that Gaf has discussed for months. The information leaked isn't even complete as they have left off things and misspoke on others.
Another non-complete leak which takes a good dose of contextual prior knowledge to even start comprehending, you say? No wonder individuals in the other thread already finished their conclusive analyses and declared their cell phones on par with the U.

NateDrake

For those familiar with NG3, do you think Tecmo could fix it, or is it so badly designed beyond repair that no way it can be redeemed?

At first I was very interested in purchasing NG3 and Darksiders 2, but upon reading lukewarm/underwhelming reviews of PS360 versions I am more inclined to buy at launch instead Arkham city/Assassin's creed3/Mass effect3, I'm looking forward for hands-on to make myself an idea though.

The new stuff will certainly add to the game but it won't make a mediocre game into a great one.

Does that rumor not exist now? I didn't say it was fact. I said it was a rumor.

I don't know what the WiiU CPU is. I don't really care. I want to play games made by Nintendo.

It's just a crude and sometimes convenient summary of what "enhanced Broadway" means. Fuck that.

wait for it.....
Specs.

Can't get enough. :p

If there's anything to that 2.5/3D stacking, a tear-down might not tell much?

Interesting point.

I think people here continue to overestimate the extent of the correlation between Wii U's performance and its likelihood of getting multiplatform titles.

I agree. As far as I'm concerned the market will be the primary determinant and not performance.

Not Nintendo's fault at all that their easily portable new system isn't being used by third partys.

There's nothing they could have done any better to get current generation third party ports.

No one is buying the Wii U for third party games, they're just a bonus and a convenience that you can play them on the system if that's your primary system.

I wouldn't call endless IPs that are almost all guaranteed to be great to stellar games "nothing".

Nintendo fans are used to droughts.

You're alive!

The_Lump

Banned

Because everyone is taking crazy pills. Me included.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Dont worry, it isnt needed.

Of course I see you post this, right after you so vehemently and boldly claimed that you would drop 300$ tomorrow for just a Wii with a HDMI port.
Claiming from your high horse that all the other consoles have to offer is Call of Duty and Battlefield and Nintendo is the only true savior. Pardon me if I don't think your opinion on the matter carries any weight.

At least most of the people discussing in this thread haven't been completely enveloped in the Nintendo isolation dome yet. :)

Maybe NG 3 Wii U will have Kasumi.
as a DLC
But she never appeared in a NG game before as a playable character.

oh well since Ayane has been a part of the NG story enough in the past it makes sense
I want to see it in motion on Thursday

I don't like to play hard as hell games that I will never finish sounds like this re-do is hard as the old NGs because they fixed everything they got wrong

Litri

Just going back to the technical end of the conversation... Has anyone been able to confirm whether the already shown Wii U titles are v-synced or not? By checking the videos from several events including the recent Gamescom it would seem so.

I was thinking that Nintendo has the chance to close the gap between Wii Remote and touch screen functionality by means of a clever stylus peripheral.

Imagine a stylus that plugs into the Upad port and features rumble and motion sensing capanilities. The stylus could also feature a preasure sensitive skin that detects grip, this could prove really useful and intuitive. For example the same type of inputs could easy double withouth over complicatingf the controls.

I wonder if it could be possible for them to integrate a Wii Remote type camera on the device so it can track the IR strip in the Upad or the sensor bar. Or a led in the tip that could be tracked by the Upad camera, like in the patent that has been around for some months.

The_Lump

Banned
Ok, what is this other thread claiming official specs?

It's possibly true but probably not unverified misinformation which we may or may not have previously unconfirmed as baseless absolute fact.

Somehow it's all BG's fault for being rude enough to kindly share it with us, whilst he was masquerading as EC. The bastard.

USC-fan

Banned

well some of them over shot by miles...

I will still wait for a tear down to find out what is in it but looks like I even over shot on the specs.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
As far as early accessories go, I'm still holding out hope for Biometric Feedback (Vitality Sensor).

Seems like a horrible move not to have it out day one and included in the box though.

but bans scare people :3

As long as there's legitimate discussion going on and not just people getting into pissing matches with each other over numbers and gigabytes... oh wait yeah.

As far as early accessories go, I'm still holding out hope for Biometric Feedback (Vitality Sensor).

Seems like a horrible move not to have it out day one and included in the box though.

They should launch it with Eternal Darkness II.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Ayane makes NG3 interesting for me. She's my favourite DoA character.

I can.
I was full of it before E3 even started :p

Hopefully we can get split tech/pre-launch threads for Wii-U after Thursday, would be awesome.

Haha.

I'd be fine with a split now that it's out of Community. And then in November/December the board can truly focus on the games since they'll be in (some of) our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom