• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earendil

let's talk about the specs of the box! will there be holes again? manuals or digital on-disc manuals only? can you hide a GCN memory card in them?

all those fascinating things ...

oh and yes, Trine 2 still looks awesome :)

It has to have at least 3 air holes for the hamsters that power it. One air hole per hamster per core.

Wait, so the specs are better than those posted by EC? Are they outdated? Wsippel, can I have a link to your post please? You've always been a great source of info!

What EC posted did not have clock speeds or ALU counts. So the basic specs could match what EC posted, but IdeaMan's comments may reflect increased clock speeds for the CPU and/or the GPU. Or it could simply be SDK improvements.

I agree. There are people who I think couldn't care less either way and just want to complain. It's funny because I'm the type who often stays away from discussions about things that don't interest me, and by that I mean I wouldn't go into a Vita thread to doom-monger or bemoan about features or whatever, because I don't see that as productive. I know a lot of people relish the freedom to do whatever they want, even if they are just annoying other people.

I'm not a Nintendo apologist, because I don't defend every act as if they are somehow perfect, I'm more a Nintendo realist because I accept the former and embrace the good Nintendo does.

I feel exactly the same way. I'll never see the point in complaining about things I have zero interest in.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was wondering if the games are anywhere near as fun as the visuals but I will try this one out anyway as I am a vivid color whore.
It is a subjective thing, so i can only speak for myself, but i've beaten both Trine games and i've enjoyed both of them. Fun platforming games :) No idea if others enjoy it just as much, but i'd still recommend people to check out the games at least.

Speaking of graphics, this is actually one good example where the graphics really matters in my opinion. It really highlight the atmosphere, making it feel like a magical world.

I think we should talk about the health and safety warnings. I mean really, how unhealthy will this thing be? Will I need to take breaks every half hour? What is the spec sheet on the ratio of gametime played on the new gamepad to the ratio of my age divided by carpel tunnel syndrome levels? Will it cause seizures or won't it? Will it cause obesity? Or does Wii-fit cancel that out?

Health and safety warnings = important stuff.
The health and safety warning happens to be my favorite 3DS app! ;)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Even Moar Games News! A NotEnoughShaders interview about Chasing Aurora on the Wii U eShop....

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/201...les-discusses-chasing-aurora-for-wii-u-eshop/

Features yet more Indie praise for Nintendo:

Nintendo is great to work with. They proposed to have us create a launch title for a major console which is an opportunity we simply had to do. Of course we keep other platforms in mind. While there’s nothing announced at this point, it might happen that we launch on additional platforms later. Our cross-platform tech allows us to bring the game to a wide range of platforms and we have successfully released other games on Steam, iOS as well as WiiWare.

Also:

Chasing Aurora is the first game of a series of games. We have not announced the second game yet. What I can say about it right now is that we’re already working on it and that it runs on the Wii U as well as other platforms.

So much news today.... Did some NDAs lift or something?!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This, this game's engine, it needs to be used on either a Super Metroid remake, or a new 2.5D metroid game. That looks so fucking beautiful.

New Super Metroid with that art style? YES PLEASE.

Rayman certainly has "award-winning artstyle" written all over it but I still see more flash than substance, I am hoping there will be some complex standard platforming levels with great inspiration.

I haven't played much of the new Rayman games but man, the boss fights in this game could be one of a kind amazing(if the games have them).

The_Lump

Banned
Dude...

No, it's not an overclocked Broadway. That's pure conjecture, and it's pretty easy to see where this asinine assumption came from. Broadway had several unique features, and the Wii U CPU supports those things as well - and that's it. That doesn't make it a Broadway derivative.

Thankyou. What I'd hoped to say but am far to un-eloquent.

There's idiots on both sides of the fence, unfortunately. For every spec whiner who deep down has no interest in the platform to begin with, and wouldn't regardless of how weak or powerful the hardware was, there's another schizoid Nintendo fan rapidly swapping between "I don't care about graphics it's all gameplay who cares about specs" and "Retro/Monolith/EAD games will look AMAZING of course the Wii U is much more powerful than current gen" with every post they make.

These threads thrive off the insecurities and silliness of both groups, meanwhile the people who are trying to have a legitimate discussion and express personal opinions, positive or negative, are lost and/or misinterpreted.
I dont see much of the former. No one here does that, that I have seen. I will tell you the truth I was more dissapointed in Wii not having HD graphics than WiiU not being this somewhat power house or whatever. It seems like I could care less now. It just doesnt seem like it matters that much anymore in all honesty. And for the record I will be buying Sony or Microsofts next console as well. Nintendo in HD a brand new horizon though the game pad experience is new. This will be totally all brandnew experience all along. All I see from ps4/720 is more or less this gen based off watch_dogs and star wars.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
My biggest fear now is that the conference will feature Metroid Blast, Balloon Trip Breeze, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Chasing Aurora (in other words, everything we know) and nothing more.

Tehalemi

Trine 2 looks amazing, hopefully it will be reasonably priced, seems like a great game to play on the gamepad.

Owning it on Steam, just on an atmospheric/artistic level, I can say this baby even on low settings is one of the most breathtaking 2Dish experiences you will have.

The fact that it's on Wii U makes me more confident that I'll double dip, heh. :D

Hoodbury

there's another schizoid Nintendo fan rapidly swapping between "I don't care about graphics it's all gameplay who cares about specs" and "Retro/Monolith/EAD games will look AMAZING of course the Wii U is much more powerful than current gen".

Please, do tell what you really think of us. :p

wsippel

Banned
Wait, so the specs are better than those posted by EC? Are they outdated? Wsippel, can I have a link to your post please? You've always been a great source of info!
It's far more complicated than that I'm afraid...

The CPU, whatever it actually is, seems to roughly match and possibly exceed a Phenom II clock for clock. Assuming IBM really managed to achieve that, which I doubt considering the 750 line is dead and buried for years, we'd be talking one hell of an "enhancement". Pentium M to Core levels, basically (and yes, the latest Core series of CPUs are pretty much "enhanced" Pentium Ms from 2003). And that's the main problem: Maybe the specs are technically correct, but they're extremely incomplete and the way they're presented is highly biased. It doesn't really tell us anything about GPU performance for example, but on the other hand, it only mentions RAM available to developers. I believe the PS3 initially reserved 96MB? But nobody claimed the PS3 had 160MB RAM.

So there you go. The specs tell us nothing about performance or featureset, or anything, really, but seem to be laid out in a way to make the system look as weak as possible. I don't expect it to be a beast or anything, but this is just bullshit.

Hoodbury

Yep, it has co-op :) Not sure about online, but at least local.

How long was it roughly? And how much replayability was there in your opinion? I mean, is it a go through it once and be done type of thing, or are there different things to do that could make you want to go through it a couple times?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So there you go. The specs tell us nothing about performance or featureset, or anything, really, but seem to be laid out in a way to make the system look as weak as possible. I don't expect it to be a beast or anything, but this is just bullshit.

Then you can blame Nintendo exclusively for laying them out to look as weak as possible.

test_account

XP-39C²
Rayman certainly has "award-winning artstyle" written all over it but I still see more flash than substance, I am hoping there will be some complex standard platforming levels with great inspiration.

I haven't played much of the new Rayman games but man, the boss fights in this game could be one of a kind amazing(if the games have them).
If Rayman Origins is anything to go by, Rayman Legends will be great in my opinion. I wonder if it will have Chase The Chest levels. I has Land Of The Dead level at least. These are levels that automatically move forward, but you got to nail every jump etc.. I love that.

Seik

Banned
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/11/rayman-legends-castle-rock-footage

Also IGN has a reveal of another musical stage from Rayman Legends

0wPik.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
My biggest fear now is that the conference will feature Metroid Blast, Balloon Trip Breeze, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Chasing Aurora (in other words, everything we know) and nothing more.
Actually, I believe this is what we should except for the sake of our own sanity.

Earendil

It's far more complicated than that I'm afraid...

The CPU, whatever it actually is, seems to roughly match and possibly exceed a Phenom II clock for clock. Assuming IBM really managed to achieve that, which I doubt considering the 750 line is dead and buried for years, we'd be talking one hell of an "enhancement". Pentium M to Core levels, basically (and yes, the latest Core series of CPUs are pretty much "enhanced" Pentium Ms from 2003). And that's the main problem: Maybe the specs are technically correct, but they're extremely incomplete and the way they're presented is highly biased. It doesn't really tell us anything about GPU performance for example, but on the other hand, it only mentions RAM available to developers. I believe the PS3 initially reserved 96MB? But nobody claimed the PS3 had 160MB RAM.

Where was your Wwyse thread? I have an I7 and an A4 I wouldn't mind trying that on.

EDIT: nvm, I found it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490039 (for anyone else looking for it)

If Rayman Origins is anything to go by, Rayman Legends will be great in my opinion. I wonder if it will have Chase The Chest levels. I has Land Of The Dead level at least. These are levels that automatically move forward, but you got to nail every jump etc.. I love that.

It's funny they've added musical stages now, because Chase the Chest levels came down to that; getting the perfect rhythm, jumping across paperthin platforms and building up enough momentum to make a jump.

Best 2D platformer I've played in years, hopefully Legends will follow suite and not tone down the difficulty.

test_account

XP-39C²
How long was it roughly? And how much replayability was there in your opinion? I mean, is it a go through it once and be done type of thing, or are there different things to do that could make you want to go through it a couple times?
Unfortuatenly i dont remember the length, but i would say at least 5 hours. It depends on how much you want to explore to find the magic flasks and chests etc. around the levels. And also depends on how fast you solve the puzzles. The game did not feel short to me at least.

About replaying, there are some challenges that can be done (and finding the collectables if you missed some the first time). I dont remember if the challenges adds anything besides trophies/achievements, but i dont think so. Nothing too major besides this regarding replaying. Playing co-op can also give a reason to replay.

It's funny they've added musical stages now, because Chase the Chest levels came down to that; getting the perfect rhythm, jumping across paperthin platforms and building up enough momentum to make a jump.

Best 2D platformer I've played in years, hopefully Legends will follow suite and not tone down the difficulty.
Yeah, the first demoed musicial stages is pretty similar to Land Of The Dead level (which again is similar to the Chase the Chest), so it is cool that Legends will have this type of levels as well.

Great game indeed :)

wsippel

Banned
Then you can blame Nintendo exclusively for laying them out to look as weak as possible.
I disagree. Nintendo never published those specs. If they did, they would have presented the same specs in a way that makes them look as good as possible. You know, the same way Microsoft touted synthetic benchmarks and never, ever mentioned the abysmal IPC of Xenon.

AzaK

With Cave, Chasing Aurora and Trine 2 coming to the eShop it's starting to look like this might actually be a 1/2 decent part of the system. I can actually seeing myself starting out on the Wii U with less retail games and spending that money on a few DD until some of the retail ports hit lower prices.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree. Nintendo never published those specs. If they did, they would have presented the same specs in a way that makes them look as good as possible. You know, the same way Microsoft touted synthetic benchmarks and never, ever mentioned the abysmal IPC of Xenon.

"GPU RSX at 550MHz 1.8 teraflop floating point performance". Never forget.

With Cave, Chasing Aurora and Trine 2 coming to the eShop it's starting to look like this might actually be a 1/2 decent part of the system. I can actually seeing myself starting out on the Wii U with less retail games and spending that money on a few DD until some of the retail ports hit lower prices.

It certainly looks better than the early days of the 3DS eShop.

NBtoaster

Your benchmark didn't paint a better picture. Half as good as a mid-range 2011 component isn't something to be excited about.

Page 163 of this thread is basically 'And this is why software sells systems'.

Ughf! They keep making me want this thing! All I need is some 2013 sexy info and am fucking there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom