• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Then you can blame Nintendo exclusively for laying them out to look as weak as possible.
Those 'specs' are not meant to give a power envelope. What a part of gaf does running away with them is nothing short of amusing, though. Note that I'm not accusing you of anything - as you said, they'd have been posted in the same (or worse) form sooner than later. That does not make the reactions in that thread any less amusing, though. I'm not sure we can place the blame for that on nintendo.

My biggest fear now is that the conference will feature Metroid Blast, Balloon Trip Breeze, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Chasing Aurora (in other words, everything we know) and nothing more.
I'd be very vindictive if the conference did not feature those.

ozfunghi

It's far more complicated than that I'm afraid...

The CPU, whatever it actually is, seems to roughly match and possibly exceed a Phenom II clock for clock. Assuming IBM really managed to achieve that, which I doubt considering the 750 line is dead and buried for years, we'd be talking one hell of an "enhancement". Pentium M to Core levels, basically (and yes, the latest Core series of CPUs are pretty much "enhanced" Pentium Ms from 2003). And that's the main problem: Maybe the specs are technically correct, but they're extremely incomplete and the way they're presented is highly biased. It doesn't really tell us anything about GPU performance for example, but on the other hand, it only mentions RAM available to developers. I believe the PS3 initially reserved 96MB? But nobody claimed the PS3 had 160MB RAM.

So there you go. The specs tell us nothing about performance or featureset, or anything, really, but seem to be laid out in a way to make the system look as weak as possible. I don't expect it to be a beast or anything, but this is just bullshit.

Here's something i don't get: why does lherre confirm those specs point blank without any further context? He could just as well have said "it's not as simple as calling it a 3 core Broadway" or something along those lines, but he doesn't. So are we supposed to think he's trolling or is it indeed a clear cut case of slapping three Broadways onto each other and call it a day (figuratively speaking).

jmizzal

My biggest fear now is that the conference will feature Metroid Blast, Balloon Trip Breeze, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Chasing Aurora (in other words, everything we know) and nothing more.

I doubt they will show anything at the conf. about Trine 2 and Chasing Aurora outside of saying here are some eShop games and list all the eShop games.

I expect to get the final Activision lineup announced for the first time, BlackOps 2, Transformers Prime, 007 Legends and the final EA lineup, Need For Speed Most Wanted and prob MoH. Hopefully Capcom game will be announced.

tkscz

Then you can blame Nintendo exclusively for laying them out to look as weak as possible.

Any idea why Nintendo is keeping such information a secret, even from 3rd party devs? I mean, it has to be a little more than frustrating to be hampered down, not by the hardware, but by the manufacturer not telling you what exactly you're getting. For example, the GPU runs OpenGL 3.3, which can backport code from OpenGL 4.0. Well, what exactly can the WiiU backport? I mean, not knowing this/ having to figure it out on your own (and wasting your own money to do so) has to be annoying.

The_Lump

Banned
I disagree. Nintendo never published those specs. If they did, they would have presented the same specs in a way that makes them look as good as possible. You know, the same way Microsoft touted synthetic benchmarks and never, ever mentioned the abysmal IPC of Xenon.

Indeed and for this reason I think these sounded legit:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-premiere-wii-u-specs/

Whereas these new ones (which tell us nothing more, incidentally) do not sound like they came from anywhere official:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-wii-u-final-specs/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Here's something i don't get: why does lherre confirm those specs point blank without any further context? He could just as well have said "it's not as simple as calling it a 3 core Broadway" or something along those lines, but he doesn't. So are we supposed to think he's trolling or is it indeed a clear cut case of slapping three Broadways onto each other and call it a day (figuratively speaking).

Maybe because that's exactly what Nintendo said? And it doens't say "3 core Broadway"... the enhanced adds a fuzzy variable to the whole thing.

Rayman will be the breakout star of the launch.

But every review will include a "Wait for the PS3/360 version without these controller gimmicks."

I am not joking. I know reviewers who have basically already committed to evangelizing the "Wait for the port" slogan in their reviews.

tkscz

Either for Lonely1's reason, or the fact that he could lose his job if he gave anything too specific away. He knows more than he is letting on, but because Nintendo is keeping 3rd parties hushed, he's not allowed to tell all. I'd rather lherre keep his job than give us secrets.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I disagree. Nintendo never published those specs. If they did, they would have presented the same specs in a way that makes them look as good as possible. You know, the same way Microsoft touted synthetic benchmarks and never, ever mentioned the abysmal IPC of Xenon.

Yeah, well, I'm confident you're wrong on that one. No way either of us can prove the other right/wrong so I won't bother pushing the point further.

Any idea why Nintendo is keeping such information a secret, even from 3rd party devs?

As I said in the other thread, those aren't the 'specs' you use when working with devkits. That isn't all developers have to go off. They've got thorough documentation of the hardware specifications that probably won't ever be made public. They need this information, and naturally have access to said information, so they can better use the devkits and understand the hardware they're working with.

This leak is a blurb. A largely unspecific blurb. But a blurb none-the-less.

I can't speak for what Nintendo may or may not be holding back from third parties as I don't really know anything about it.

But every review will include a "Wait for the PS3/360 version without these controller gimmicks."

I am not joking. I know reviewers who have basically already committed to evangelizing the "Wait for the port" slogan in their reviews.

Can you slap these reviewers please? The whole Murphy/WiiPad thing looks pretty ingrained into the game. I don't doubt it'll get ports, but it won't for a while. Otherwise they'd just say, surely.

Everything I've heard is that those specs are correct, but that Nintendo has gone to pretty crazy lengths to offload the CPU's workload as much as possible. I don't know the technical jargon, but things that the 360 used the processor for, the Wii U won't follow 100% suit.

ozfunghi

Maybe because that's exactly what Nintendo said? And it doens't say enhanced 3 core Broadway... enhanced adds a fuzzy variable to the whole thing.

Even so, he could have provided more context without putting himself on the spot.

Also the question begs to be asked: just how much juice can be squeezed out of this "enhanced" 3 core broadway? What are the possibilities here? What can be enhanced and to what extent? And how would this compare to a PS360 CPU or some other point of reference.

I don't get it, why do they feel they have to do this?

I don't get it, why do they feel they have to do this?

De8ZZ.gif

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

Well, I'm shocked, Alberto.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Even so, he could have provided more context without putting himself on the spot.

Also the question begs to be asked: just how much juice can be squeezed out of this "enhanced" 3 core broadway? What are the possibilities here? What can be enhanced and to what extent? And how would this compare to a PS360 CPU or some other point of reference.

Well, ask him just that. Also for the clocks while you are at it.

Penguin

But how can people really commit to that.. without having the thing at home.. and playing final versions of games and the likes?

Which is why video game "journalism" is a fucking joke. It's a bunch of fanboys getting paid to write about shit.

JordanN

Banned
Everything I've heard is that those specs are correct, but that Nintendo has gone to pretty crazy lengths to offload the CPU's workload as much as possible. I don't know the technical jargon, but things that the 360 used the processor for, the Wii U won't follow 100% suit.

Is it really crazy or just natural tech evolution?

Hey, CPU's use to be responsible for all 3D processing yet now they've moved on to GPU's.

Funny you don't see people claiming anything made past 2000 is weaker than PS1!

hatchx

Banned

Reviews didn't steer people clear of Red Steel or direct people to Rayman Origins.

It won't matter this time either.

If Nintendo/Ubi market Rayman right and release it in a good window (ie; not around the time of NSMBU) then I think they will meet their expectations.

Seems like it would be a good idea to make a thread to round up the sites and in particular the specific reviewers that decide to push a message like that in their reviews. With any luck it'll lead to other sites picking up the story and shaming the sites and reviewers that have done that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm also going to wait for the ports...

... of their review scores so I don't give them click do ho ho.

ThaGuy

I appreciate everyone who contributes to this lobby whether good or bad. Bg along with others really kept this thread alive and interesting. Anyone who thinks differently can always ignore them if he/she wanted.

Regarding the Thursday conference, I think a lot of mystery questions will be asked during the hands on time portion of the event. There is no way an hour will cover every single inch of the Wii U imo.

Sheroking

I'm also going to wait for the ports...

... of their review scores so I don't give them click do ho ho.

IGN's reviews will come from Nintendo editors like Rich or Audrey, so actually, they wouldn't be the ones to say stuff like that.

It'd actually be the Giant Bomb's, the EGM's and the G4's.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
IGN's reviews will come from Nintendo editors like Rich or Audrey, so actually, they wouldn't be the ones to say stuff like that.

It'd actually be the Giant Bomb's, the EGM's and the G4's.

Mind you, Rich was responsible for a lot of Nintendoom articles with the 3DS.

And one of his articles about the hurdles the Wii U faces is currently illustrated on the front page with a sinking Wii U Gamepad and Mario swimming to safety.....

wiiu090712coverjpg-441051.jpg

Penguin

Because they aren't serious people doing a serious job.

Read the latest EGM.

That is not an uncommon sentiment.

I.. I mean.. as down as I am on the gaming press at times...

How does this make sense? I mean.. the only people it really benefit would be your own selfish taste.

It doesn't help developers/publishers because they lose out on sales for false reviews
It doesn't help consumers because reviewers aren't being honest with them.

Who do you serve with an attitude like that?

I think Rayman Legends will be a great game, but it's just not for me. I've played Rayman Origins as well, and I wasn't extremely impressed by it. While it's a very beautiful game, I actually prefer the clean, precise look of New Super Mario Bros. U.

Speaking of New Super Mario Bros. U, I saw a couple of new pictures today. One showed Mario and Yoshi on the flagpole at the end of a level. If only they took a picture a few seconds after that point so that we can see if we are allowed to take Yoshi to any level. Unfortunately, judging by the way GameInformer worded it, it's unlikely.

I also noticed that the World Map has a couple of Piranha Plants and Pipes in the middle of the path. Are map encounters still present?

One more thing. Has this been posted yet?

jI3PX.jpg

Even if it's legitimate, it'll probably be obsolete with the Europe Nintendo Direct and live blogs, though.

AzaK

Why would they try and offload as much as possible? Wouldn't having a great CPU and additional GPGPU capabilities be even better. I guess it's to do with overall price? Can a GPGPU do what it does with less heat than a CPU?

Mind you, Rich was responsible for a lot of Nintendoom articles with the 3DS.

And one of his articles about the hurdles the Wii U faces is currently illustrated on the front page with a sinking Wii U Gamepad and Mario swimming to safety.....

wiiu090712coverjpg-441051.jpg

Yeah I thought that image was a bit much. However I think there is an air of concern about Wii U and I do appreciate how even the Nintendo team isn't backwards in coming fowards about the issues they think Nintendo face. They come across as a bit more level headed that way.

One more thing. Has this been posted yet?

jI3PX.jpg

Even if it's legitimate, it'll probably be obsolete with the Europe Nintendo Direct and live blogs, though.
Incoming Megaton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom