• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Can't get enough. :p
I like you bg, but ... $#%#$ @#$ $%#$!!!

For those familiar with NG3, do you think Tecmo could fix it, or is it so badly designed beyond repair from the start that no way it can be redeemed?

At first I was very interested in purchasing NG3 and Darksiders 2, but upon reading lukewarm/underwhelming reviews of PS360 versions I am more inclined to buy at launch instead Arkham city/Assassin's creed3/Mass effect3, I'm looking forward for hands-on to make myself an idea though.
I'd say that there is enough new to warrant trying the game yourself. Most of the complaints about the other versions are being addressed, but I doubt they can fix everything. I'd say buy it went its cheap, but Nintendo is publishing it.

I'll be going to the L.A. Wii U Experience on the 23rd. I don't think there's much to learn from such a short demo, but ask and I'll see what I can do.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
What's your opinion on the leaked specs? Can you vouch for them as well?

Like others have pointed out, there is nothing new in those leaked specs, i don't even understand why a topic was created about those. And they don't tell us a lot. And from what i've heard, enhanced must be bolded like 3 times for the tri-core broadway thingy. Wii U CPU isn't a super-calculator but clearly not a tri-core broadway 2.0

Banned
Just came back from the Wii U specs thread. So, 3 overclocked Wii CPU's (virtually 1999 tech), only support for shader model 4.0, and only 1GB of RAM?

denzelcantrcsxl.gif

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
The thing is ... it doesn't work, at least not reliably enough. If anything we might get something like that some day via face detection software.

I know, at least that is what Iwata said. But considering 3D, controller screens, and motion controls started off as peripherals (or, in controller screens-case, already had projects released taking advantage of it EX: Pacman Vs, FF:CC), I still held out hope that it would be a big factor with the WiiU.

Maybe Next-Gen? :/

Donnie

Sorry the delay but the info in the other thread is true/accurate.

I can't comment/discuss more about them, sorry.

That info seems to go against your earlier claim that WiiUs CPU has 2 threads per core. Would you at least comment on that?

wsippel

Banned
Just came back from the Wii U specs thread. So, 3 overclocked Wii CPU's (virtually 1999 tech), only support for shader model 4.0, and only 1GB of RAM?
Yeah, I don't know why EatChildren posted that shit either. Kinda depressing that this got almost ten times as many replies as my actual, properly sourced Wii U benchmarks in just a few hours...

Van Owen

Banned
Figured it was an upclocked broadway for awhile now. Easiest way to ensure BC with Wii.

Of course, people here called be a troll for saying so, but I'm vindicated once again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, I don't know why EatChildren posted that shit either. Kinda depressing that this got almost ten times as many replies as my actual, properly sourced Wii U benchmarks in just a few hours...

Oh come off it. If I didn't post it, someone else would have, and the results would have been the same.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

wat, i missed your Wwise test ? I hereby request a link ! (well, even if obviously we can't use a sound middleware to say if the CPU is weaksauce or not but it's always a nice information if read under a specific spectrum).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
If there's anything to that 2.5/3D stacking, a tear-down might not tell much?
Without having ever seen a 2.5D stack in person, I'd venture to guess that identifying an uncapped 'die' as a 2.5D stack by using as simple an equipment as a school-lab microscope would not be that hard. If it looks like a SiP, but features a funky substrate, chances are it's a 2.5D stack*. Yes, unfortunately WiiUs will be hurt in the process.

* It could be a 3D stack as well, if the year was 2015+.

Anth0ny

denzelcantrcsxl.gif

hehehe

there will be many meltdowns this week. I expected disappointing specs since the reveal at E3 2011, this news means nothing to me ;D

wsippel

Banned
Figured it was an upclocked broadway for awhile now. Easiest way to ensure BC with Wii.

Of course, people here called be a troll for saying so, but I'm vindicated once again.
Dude...

No, it's not an overclocked Broadway. That's pure conjecture, and it's pretty easy to see where this asinine assumption came from. Broadway had several unique features, and the Wii U CPU supports those things as well - and that's it. That doesn't make it a Broadway derivative.

Hoodbury

Like others have pointed out, there is nothing new in those leaked specs, i don't even understand why a topic was created about those. And they don't tell us a lot. And from what i've heard, enhanced must be bolded like 3 times for the tri-core broadway thingy. Wii U CPU isn't a super-calculator but clearly not a tri-core broadway 2.0

A couple weeks ago you were telling us to hype Hype HYPE because of the latest tweeks, updates, firmware upgrades, etc Nintendo had recently done to the latest Dev kits.

Hype us back up man, apparently we're going to lose some good folk here soon since Thursday can't seem to get here soon enough. People are going crazy here today.

EuroMIX

I don't understand why everyone's so upset when the rumours are largely what we were expecting anyway. The only bit that really threw me, and I suppose a lot of people, was the Broadway one, but being generally ignorant of hardware I'm not sure what it could mean.

Also, does the Broadway rumour conflict with other confirmations, such as the one from IBM?

Donnie

It isn't just an overclocked Broadway. That's probably why you get called a troll, because you try to make WiiU related info sound as bad as possible. If you'd said the CPU could be based on Broadway or something similar to it but improved and clocked higher I doubt anyone would have so much as blinked let alone call you a troll. Considering we've been discussing the possibility here for months now, and the idea certainly didn't come from you first.

As it is once again this is much ado about nothing. Very little significant info being taken as some kind of conclusive evidence of WiiU abilities.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A couple weeks ago you were telling us to hype Hype HYPE because of the latest tweeks, updates, firmware upgrades, etc Nintendo had recently done to the latest Dev kits.

Hype us back up man, apparently we're going to lose some good folk here soon since Thursday can't seem to get here soon enough. People are going crazy here today.

Well, those leaked specs (which i insist, bring nothing new), aren't in conflict with what i said about the improvements third-parties (and not directly Nintendo, my knowledge of first-party stuff is very limited, they are heavily lip-tight) managed to reach thanks to a lot of parameters.

For the hype, hey, a few hours to wait Hoodbury :)

Hoodbury

I was a Wii only owner this gen so I'm pretty sure I'll be blown away by the graphics of any Wii-U game. I just wish they would have been more open with what games I'll get to be blown away by. They were way too quiet from e3 til now(Thursday) and it was a major drag.

Games is what we all really want, and they really really need to show us some Thursday.

These specs should really be nothing new to everyone who reasonably expected something only slightly better than 360/PS3.

After going through some post histories and reading the posts of people who seem completely infuriated by the specs, it seems pretty clear to me that even if the tech was 3x that of current gen, the people who are complaining now still wouldn't get one because they hate Nintendo.

EDIT: I've owned every major console since the SNES/Genesis days and will continue to. I realize I sound like a Nintendo apologist above but I'm really just stating the obvious. Some people will never be able to shake their hate for Nintendo just like there are Nintendo fans who will swear against Sony and MS until the day they die. I guess the hate is just more prevalent around pre-launch for the new consoles.

D-e-f-

Banned
What's a game? Is that like a cpu?

let's talk about the specs of the box! will there be holes again? manuals or digital on-disc manuals only? can you hide a GCN memory card in them?

all those fascinating things ...

oh and yes, Trine 2 still looks awesome :)

AzaK

It's not hard to understand really. Your benchmarks leave room for disprooving Wii U to be a piece of shit, therefore it will be ignored by the haters. The OP in this thread, if you read it while standing on your head, looking at it through a piece of cellophane while covering one eye shows that Wii U is a piece of shit. Therefore it will get 100 posts a second.

After going through some post histories and reading the posts of people who seem completely infuriated by the specs, it seems pretty clear to me that even if the tech was 3x that of current gen, the people who are complaining now still wouldn't get one because they hate Nintendo.

Pretty accurate analysis.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

There's idiots on both sides of the fence, unfortunately. For every spec whiner who deep down has no interest in the platform to begin with, and wouldn't regardless of how weak or powerful the hardware was, there's another schizoid Nintendo fan rapidly swapping between "I don't care about graphics it's all gameplay who cares about specs" and "Retro/Monolith/EAD games will look AMAZING of course the Wii U is much more powerful than current gen" with every post they make.

These threads thrive off the insecurities and silliness of both groups, meanwhile the people who are trying to have a legitimate discussion and express personal opinions, positive or negative, are lost and/or misinterpreted.

Wait, so the specs are better than those posted by EC? Are they outdated? Wsippel, can I have a link to your post please? You've always been a great source of info!

These threads thrive off the insecurities and silliness of both groups, meanwhile the people who are trying to have a legitimate discussion and express personal opinions, positive or negative, are lost and/or misinterpreted.

Yep, but more than anything, they thrive off the lack of information and clarity. When there's little evidence, people are left to make up all sorts of scenarios, both ends of the spectrum.

Hoodbury

let's talk about the specs of the box! will there be holes again? manuals or digital on-disc manuals only? can you hide a GCN memory card in them?

all those fascinating things ...

I think we should talk about the health and safety warnings. I mean really, how unhealthy will this thing be? Will I need to take breaks every half hour? What is the spec sheet on the ratio of gametime played on the new gamepad to the ratio of my age divided by carpel tunnel syndrome levels? Will it cause seizures or won't it? Will it cause obesity? Or does Wii-fit cancel that out?

Health and safety warnings = important stuff.

EuroMIX

These specs should really be nothing new to everyone who reasonably expected something only slightly better than 360/PS3.

EDIT: I've owned every major console since the SNES/Genesis days and will continue to. I realize I sound like a Nintendo apologist above but I'm really just stating the obvious. Some people will never be able to shake their hate for Nintendo just like there are Nintendo fans who will swear against Sony and MS until the day they die. I guess the hate is just more prevalent around pre-launch for the new consoles.

I agree. There are people who I think couldn't care less either way and just want to complain. It's funny because I'm the type who often stays away from discussions about things that don't interest me, and by that I mean I wouldn't go into a Vita thread to doom-monger or bemoan about features or whatever, because I don't see that as productive. I know a lot of people relish the freedom to do whatever they want, even if they are just annoying other people.

I'm not a Nintendo apologist, because I don't defend every act as if they are somehow perfect, I'm more a Nintendo realist because I accept the former and embrace the good Nintendo does.

Tehalemi

What's a game? Is that like a cpu?

Currently in terms of visual style these days, a "game" as you say is nothing more than a steam pressed donut with aluminum foil super glued to each side.

Both mods and insiders can confirm this confidently of course.(Psshh no, and I only put this in parenthesis because I know someone's gonna go "omg, not one insider has even hinted at this once. Shut up!") :p

test_account

XP-39C²
The reason why people care about hardware is because of what it can do with games. For some it is less important, for some it is more important, but it all comes back to the games :)

Games News! IGN has an exclusive skills walkthrough video of Trine 2: Director's Cut for Wii U

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/09/11/trine-2-exclusive-skills-walkthrough

It looks beautiful.
For people who havnt played the previous Trine games, i highly recommend this. I recommend the first game too, but thinking about if people are getting a WiiU and havnt played any Trine games before.

cloudyy

This thread is indeed a vicious cycle.

I'm so glad I have no idea of what specs mean and can just ignorantly say YAY GAEMS.
GAMES for sure bro. Those specs talk are meaning-less.
I mean, some people might want 4 gigs of ram and 8 cores, water-cooled and Keplers and what-not. But I for one see P-100, Pikmin 3 and even that lego gta game looks fun. If those games doesn't interest you, I don't know why you're arguing about a nintendo console in the first place.

The reason why people care about hardware is because of what it can do with games. For some it is less important, for some it is more important, but it all comes back to the games :)

For people who havnt played the previous Trine games, i highly recommend this. I recommend the first game too, but thinking about if people are getting a WiiU and havnt played any Trine games before.

I was wondering if the games are anywhere near as fun as the visuals but I will try this one out anyway as I am a vivid color whore.

Van Owen

Banned

I actually have interest in the system, but I'm known as a troll for saying Wii U would be a slight jump over current gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom