• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

Mind you, Rich was responsible for a lot of Nintendoom articles with the 3DS.

And one of his articles about the hurdles the Wii U faces is currently illustrated on the front page with a sinking Wii U Gamepad and Mario swimming to safety.....

wiiu090712coverjpg-441051.jpg

I suspect that's a lot trying to be objective.

Follow the dude on twitter. He spent a day calling out Analysts and Investors for their Nintendo is doomed rhetoric, and generally seems pretty excited about the system.

Rayman will be the breakout star of the launch.

But every review will include a "Wait for the PS3/360 version without these controller gimmicks."

I am not joking. I know reviewers who have basically already committed to evangelizing the "Wait for the port" slogan in their reviews.

"Why would anyone want the Wii U port of Arkham City or Mass Effect 3, you can play those games elsewhere!...But I will wait for the 360 port of Rayman Legends even though I can play it elsewhere much earlier."

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they try and offload as much as possible? Wouldn't having a great CPU and additional GPGPU capabilities be even better. I guess it's to do with overall price? Can a GPGPU do what it does with less heat than a CPU?
Because Nintendo likes predictable performance.

test_account

XP-39C²
IGN didnt say that. Mitch Dyer, one guy working for IGN, said that :)

Seems like it would be a good idea to make a thread to round up the sites and in particular the specific reviewers that decide to push a message like that in their reviews. With any luck it'll lead to other sites picking up the story and shaming the sites and reviewers that have done that.
As long as the reviewers simply mention that there is a fairly big chance that a PS3/Xbox 360 version will come, i dont see any big problems with that. If it is said in a way to downplay the WiiU version, then that isnt good, but if it is written in a way as a simple guess/information, i dont think that this matters much.

So... Less options/No change = Better? Well that's pretty fucking stupid.
Hell look at our own forum brethren.

They compare modern low powered parts to 2005 era tech, and blame the Upad for the lack of system power. These people will always chose more power over gimmicks. And they'll always judge you for choosing otherwise.

It doesn't help that some of you guys in here are willing to fight tooth and nail about the technical proficiency of ports. Showing that to a degree the "power" in these systems means something to you all as well.

I've said it before, and it will always be true. If you could have Pixar level 3D right now for no added cost, you'd take it. This is how you guys should take it. Instead of knocking technical advancement, put your own spin on it.

I've got no problem admitting that the tech underneath the games gives me more than a little excitement. I've also got no problem admitting to this day some Wii games are beautiful. But I've tried to be one that can separate technical excellence from artistic merit. So there is no cognitive dissonance in my case.

I can say at the same time "Mario Galaxy is the prettiest game I've ever seen." and "It has none of the technical proficiency of Ratchet and Clank."

IGN's reviews will come from Nintendo editors like Rich or Audrey, so actually, they wouldn't be the ones to say stuff like that.

It'd actually be the Giant Bomb's, the EGM's and the G4's.

Giant Bomb defoes will, they probably won't pay much attention to any of the games tbh.

IGN though - UK's Keza's review of Xenoblade is just dreadful; basically its an utterly amazing game but it should have been out before everyone traded in their Wii's [Someone must have rebought those Keza] and the game is given a 7/10 for visuals cause "This is the best that the Wii can do, but it's not really up to modern standards. The artistic direction makes up for a lack of technical grunt." - as if anyone clicking on the review was stupid enough to think it would be in HD!

/endrant it was just irritating cause the review is otherwise fine.

Do expect some 'WiiU should be more powerful in reviews for games like ZombiU' though and some criticism of no Zelda/Metroid launch titles as the reviewer complains Nintendo is just playing an Activision with NSMBU.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Why would they try and offload as much as possible? Wouldn't having a great CPU and additional GPGPU capabilities be even better. I guess it's to do with overall price? Can a GPGPU do what it does with less heat than a CPU?
GPGPU is often a form of 'offloading' the CPU.

JordanN

Banned
There's nothing stopping Nintendo from having a great CPU while offloading performance.

Again, around 2000, there was an offload of polygons from CPU to GPU yet would you claim those systems* are weaker than the PS1?

*N64,Dreamcast,PC's etc

Penguin

"Why would anyone want the Wii U port of Arkham City or Mass Effect 3, you can play those games elsewhere!...But I will wait for the 360 port of Rayman Legends even though I can play it elsewhere much earlier."

I think it was NWR this week that summed it up best, "The Wii was a system in which reviews were pre-dominantly focused on what they weren't"

And I think that's the attitude will continue with the Wii U

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
IGN though - UK's Keza's review of Xenoblade is just dreadful; basically its an utterly amazing game but it should have been out before everyone traded in their Wii's [Someone must have rebought those Keza] and the game is given a 7/10 for visuals cause "This is the best that the Wii can do, but it's not really up to modern standards. The artistic direction makes up for a lack of technical grunt." - as if anyone clicking on the review was stupid enough to think it would be in HD!

I hope he gives 360/PS3 games 7/10 for graphics because we all know PC games look better.

AzaK

GPGPU is often a form of 'offloading' the CPU.

Sure, I understand that. However why would, as suggested, Nintendo be working really hard to make their system so they can offload to the GPGPU at the expense of the CPU. I realise why having the GPGPU do some things is better, but wouldn't it be even more awesome if the GPGPU could take care of its job, and the CPU be left to do wicked AI or somesuch.

i.e Why gimp the CPU just because you want to use the more optimal GPGPU for a more niche range of tasks?

I think it was NWR this week that summed it up best, "The Wii was a system in which reviews were pre-dominantly focused on what they weren't"
And I think that's the attitude will continue with the Wii U

Yeah I heard that podcast too and thought that point was quite poignant. It seems that that attitude is carrying across to Wii U even though Nintendo are eliminating some of the "weren'ts" like terrible online and HD/Pretty grunty system.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont think that these comments are that much about "playing the games elsewhere". It has been more about "i've already played those games a long time ago". The same will apply with Rayman Legends too for the people who own a WiiU. Not much need to buy a port later on when you've already played it before. For example, would you have much interest in buying Rayman Legends again for PS3 or Xbox 360 if you already played the WiiU version many months ago? :)

I know that a preferred choice these days for someone who wants to crack encryption on a password, say a WiFi router password for example, a GPU I think with CUDA will bruteforce many, many more phrases per second than any CPU. That's some sort of benchmark in my mind for why some might preference GPU over CPU. That might be really poor example though. *Nurse, my nappy needs changing.*

Donnie

Price, small size, quiet, a desire to design something efficient that has predictable and consistent performance. That seems to be Nintendo's MO. We already know they have a DSP and IO processor in there to offload audio and IO work from the CPU. So it's not just about GPGPU. As an example of how that can help with price, heat, efficiency etc audio processing in a 360 game can take up as much as half a 3.2ghz Xenon core. WiiU's 120mhz DSP can do the same work.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The entire gaming journalism industry is littered with bias and blind sighted idiocy, and it's largely due to the young age of the medium and audience it attracts. And I say this as someone who writes in the industry, and admits his own bias on certain topics. Everybody has a personal preference, naturally knows more about that preference than anything else, and assumes themselves an expert on the entire medium because of the little corner they're most fond of. And it is from that corner they'll gauge and judge everything else, under the literal expectation that everything should fit their idea of interactive entertainment.

It's not really surprising, as you see it with gamers too. Everybody wants what they like the most, and too many lack the humility to accept their preference and taste is subjective, and of no greater importance to the many other equally subjective tastes and preferences that compose the medium.

The_Lump

Banned
Giant Bomb defoes will, they probably won't pay much attention to any of the games tbh.

That's just pitiful. I mean you don't judge a games visuals compared to all other games visuals on every platform ever! Using the same scale, nothing on 3DS could ever score above a 5 for graphics cos that's the best it can do. And Journey would probably be a 6 cos it didn't look as good as God of War 3. Insanity. How does that guy/gal have a job? /rant

So glad I have not read/clicked/smelt IGN in so long. Bleurgh.

I'm going back to print journalism.

AzaK

I know that a preferred choice these days for someone who wants to crack encryption on a password, say a WiFi router password for example, a GPU I think with CUDA will bruteforce many, many more phrases per second than any CPU. That's some sort of benchmark in my mind for why some might preference GPU over CPU. That might be really poor example though. *Nurse, my nappy needs changing.*

I'm obviously failing to explain myself :(

Why can't we have both. Sure have a GPGPU to crunch shit it's good for, but also put in a great CPU for other things, and therefore have more "combined" POWA then just going "Hey, let the GPGPU do everything and we'll chuck a piece of shit CPU in there to get us past the boot sequence."

The entire gaming journalism industry is littered with bias and blind sighted idiocy, and it's largely due to the young age of the medium and audience it attracts. And I say this as someone who writes in the industry, and admits his own bias on certain topics. Everybody has a personal preference, naturally knows more about that preference than anything else, and assumes themselves an expert on the entire medium because of the little corner they're most fond of. And it is from that corner they'll gauge and judge everything else, under the literal expectation that everything should fit their idea of interactive entertainment.

It's not really surprising, as you see it with gamers too. Everybody wants what they like the most, and too many lack the humility to accept their preference and taste is subjective, and of no greater importance to the many other equally subjective tastes and preferences that compose the medium.

After being on NeoGAF for about 18months and reading way more on gaming than I did in the past, I've think I've come to the conclusion that it's far healthier just do something else and play games when they come out.

The_Lump

Banned

Why can't we have both. Sure have a GPGPU to crunch shit it's good for, but also put in a great CPU for other things, and therefore have more "combined" POWA then just going "Hey, let the GPGPU do everything and we'll chuck a piece of shit CPU in there to get us past the boot sequence."

Cost? Can't have it all when your trying to be decently priced and make a profit.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

One thing is being biased, another thing is recommending people products that don't even exist (officially) based on that bias.

Donnie

There's nothing stopping Nintendo from having a great CPU while offloading performance.

Again, around 2000, there was an offload of polygons from CPU to GPU yet would you claim those systems* are weaker than the PS1?

*N64,Dreamcast,PC's etc

Actually neither N64 or Dreamcast offloaded polygon work to the GPU. GameCube was the first console to do that.

USC-fan

Banned
Everything I've heard is that those specs are correct, but that Nintendo has gone to pretty crazy lengths to offload the CPU's workload as much as possible. I don't know the technical jargon, but things that the 360 used the processor for, the Wii U won't follow 100% suit.

LOL gpgpu just wont die! Not going to happen...

Price, small size, quiet, a desire to design something efficient that has predictable and consistent performance. That seems to be Nintendo's MO. We already know they have a DSP and IO processor in there to offload audio and IO work from the CPU. So it's not just about GPGPU. As an example of how that can help with price, heat, efficiency etc audio processing in a 360 game can take up as much as half a 3.2ghz Xenon core. WiiU's 120mhz DSP can do the same work.

Sorry for being a mental midget whenever i try to talk about these tech things, but are there other things that nintendo can do to offload some work off the cpu besides the ways you listed above?

This is true. I think its just sometimes the 'bias/opinion' moves into this sort of 'group mocking' - which is fine for a blog or tweet but for a big site it should be challenged. Not as bad as it once maybe was as new voices seem to be coming into the industry.

It'll be interesting in the future to hear retrospectives of the Wii from the people that grew up with it though.

How does that guy/gal have a job? /rant

Shes a decent writer just needs to take more notice of who her reviews are catering towards. Shes done some pretty good stuff for the 3DS (quick google there showed she gave OoT a 10/10 which is better than IGN did and was pretty hyped about the visuals)

So glad I have not read/clicked/smelt IGN in so long. Bleurgh.

I went off it for a 'long' time, but they've been winning me back - I came to them from gamespot after their horrendous (it wasn't bad just non-existant) DS coverage and now am back for their generally interesting 3DS coverage.

Dunno man. It might be pointless with the GPGPU style of architecture!?! Like the RAM situation, people just want to hear more numbers but can't explain why. As long as 1GB won't hinder it, then there's no issue. For me, I'm more worried about Dx10.1 equiv & shader 4.0 and if that will be a cause of devs not porting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One thing is being biased, another thing is recommending people products that don't even exist (officially) based on that bias.

I'm not defending it, but it's all rooted in a bias. Gaming is basically impossible to define beyond 'interactive entertainment'. The scope of what composes interactive entertainment is so unfathomably large and diverse that it makes for a wide breadth of tastes and preferences.

Unfortunately you have a ton of people unable to break free of their personal preferences and assume the entire medium must live up to their tastes and expectations. They seem a pattern in hardware evolution, game design, and means of interactivity (via peripheral) that they're drawn to more than anything else, and use this as a dumb standard to rate everything. This is their idea of gaming and they can't see it as anything else.

Thus you get stupid shit like "hurr hurr this is a tablet and tablet controls are dumb you dont even need them it should have a traditional controller PS also I like Xbox/PlayStation and it would be better there. 6/10 but wait for the 360 port". It's the same shit we saw with the Wii. It's the same shit we saw with the DS. It's the same shit you hear from some Nintendo fans dribbling obnoxious "graphics don't matter", and equivilent "it's not cinematic like uncharted 2/10 nonsense.

It really just boils down to "This is my favourite platform and my favourite type of game", and that's okay. But then some idiot decided to give these people a platform to rant from, and a bloated sense of authority and ego, and worst of all pay them for it.

Kiryu

I don't believe any of Wii U leaked/rumored spec until I see it from Official Nintendo website or dissecting Wii U.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So NoA does the press event, NoE does a Nintendo Direct. Guess Nintendo Japan will do the pre-TGS thing.

As long as the reviewers simply mention that there is a fairly big chance that a PS3/Xbox 360 version will come, i dont see any big problems with that. If it is said in a way to downplay the WiiU version, then that isnt good, but if it is written in a way as a simple guess/information, i dont think that this matters much.

Why not just review the game for the system that it's currently announced for? Could it be ported elsewhere? Sure. But as of now (and likely as of Legends release) it's a Wii U-only title and it should be reviewed as such. Those same reviewers can create separate articles if they want to talk about the possibility of ports happening for certain games.

EatChildren

Japan can look forward to a special one hour, thirty minute event special hosted by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, in which launch line-up, price and further details will be revealed exclusive to the Japanese market...

...sometime mid 2013.

I'm not defending it, but it's all rooted in a bias. Gaming is basically impossible to define beyond 'interactive entertainment'. The scope of what composes interactive entertainment is so unfathomably large and diverse that it makes for a wide breadth of tastes and preferences.

Unfortunately you have a ton of people unable to break free of their personal preferences and assume the entire medium must live up to their tastes and expectations. They seem a pattern in hardware evolution, game design, and means of interactivity (via peripheral) that they're drawn to more than anything else, and use this as a dumb standard to rate everything. This is their idea of gaming and they can't see it as anything else.

Thus you get stupid shit like "hurr hurr this is a tablet and tablet controls are dumb you dont even need them it should have a traditional controller PS also I like Xbox/PlayStation and it would be better there. 6/10 but wait for the 360 port". It's the same shit we saw with the Wii. It's the same shit we saw with the DS. It's the same shit you hear from some Nintendo fans dribbling obnoxious "graphics don't matter", and equivilent "it's not cinematic like uncharted 2/10 nonsense.

It really just boils down to "This is my favourite platform and my favourite type of game", and that's okay. But then some idiot decided to give these people a platform to rant from, and a bloated sense of authority and ego, and worst of all pay them for it.

This is all very true, but it feels like things have only gotten worse. Maybe I'm just remembering things with nostalgia glasses on, but things seemed different in the 90's. It seemed to me that mags like EGM, and specially Gamefan were much more open minded. Less focused on the system a game was on, and more focused on the game.

Not just that, but it seemed like they put people on games that genuinely enjoyed those genres. I can't remember if it was IGN or Game Informer that put a writer who HATED 2D fighters on reviewing the latest King of Fighters. Ofcourse he gave it a shitty score, what the fuck was the point of that. What logical thinking person thought that was a good idea?

Hero

Pretty sure stuff like this existed even back in the SNES/Genesis days as well, it's just that it was limited to magazines at the time. Now that the internet has given everyone a voice as well as areas to express their voice, it's a lot more noticeable.

This is all very true, but it feels like things have only gotten worse. Maybe I'm just remembering things with nostalgia glasses on, but things seemed different in the 90's. It seemed to me that mags like EGM, and specially Gamefan were much more open minded. Less focused on the system a game was on, and more focused on the game.

I'll have to disagree here. I remember reading an Official Playstation Magazine back in the day, and every other page there was a joke about how shit the N64 was. Fanboyism sells. Competition sells.

Tehalemi

So NoA does the press event, NoE does a Nintendo Direct. Guess Nintendo Japan will do the pre-TGS thing.

Seems that way at least for now, though it would be kinda neat to have the NY conference, and the NoE/NCL Directs happen synchronized at 10am Thursday. I suppose I can wait another week or so for NCL news. :)

Seems like you put a lot of thought into this over some time... you said you were a game journalist correct? Why not write an article displaying your feelings on the subject? Pretty much have half of it done already.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I'll have to disagree here. I remember reading an Official Playstation Magazine back in the day, and every other page there was a joke about how shit the N64 was. Fanboyism sells. Competition sells.

Yep. Even when I used to own an Atari ST (showing my age here) it was a regular joke for the ST-specific magazine cover floppy disks to label the Desktop Trash Can (Recycle Bin) with "Amiga" (the name of the rival computer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom