• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda/Horizon: Zero Dawn Comparison Question

televator

Both good games, but ten years from now, only one game will be still talked about, and it won't be Horizon.

Will you stop people from bringing up the game in the retro threads in 10+ years?

I remember the days when seemingly nobody knew what Okami was...

KrawlMan

This thread was almost civil on the first page. That didn't last long :p

To OP - this guy sums up my experience:
Yup. Zelda is fun to explore, Horizon is fun to take down machines.

...Although contrary to what some people are saying about zeldas combat, I found it enjoyable as well. The difference is that most of my Zelda enjoyment was from exploration and getting stronger, but not the combat itself.

Thats cute. Wrong but cute. In 10 years Zelda BotW will be talked about a lot like Assasins Creed 1 gets talked about. Great game, nessecary change in direction but with an infinitely superior sequel.

Horizon will get much more love for being one of the best written stories of the decade, launching a new "Iconic" Character* and being almost the perfect encapsulation of open world gaming up until 2017.

*Actually Iconic, not Ubisoft Iconic. We will probably be so sick of Aloy in a decade. She's going to be everywhere.

I think you have a great point about Zelda. The game is excellent and pushes the franchise forward, but there's so much room for refinement that I expect (hope) that whatever they put out next truly eclipses it.

This thread reminds me of the old Nintendo mantra: story and gameplay are more important than graphics. Except when the competition has better combat and a better story. Then it's all about exploration.

D.Lo

This thread reminds me of the old Nintendo mantra: story and gameplay are more important than graphics. Except when the competition has better combat and a better story. Then it's all about exploration.
You want some pepper with all that salt?

You want some pepper with all that salt?

And what was salty about that? It was an observation. I don't root for console manufacturers or game franchises in general. Just interesting to see how people move goal posts to support their argument.

Last I checked Horizon has been praised for its story and combat. Usually these comparison with Nintendo start and end with "graphics aren't everything". Not this time, obviously.

MoonFrog

Nintendo associated with pushing story?!

It's always been story is built around a gameplay core and is relatively shallow, for the most part, from them.

And it's the same with BotW. Don't see any "moving goal posts." BotW is a very Nintendo game good in a very traditionally Nintendo way, even if it is revolutionary for them in some ways.

D.Lo

And what was salty about that? It was an observation. I don't root for console manufacturers or game franchises in general. Just interesting to see how people move goal posts to support their argument.
You invented a fictional 'Nintendo mantra' then argued against it incoherently. It's bizarre to say 'story' is important to Nintendo/Nintendo players. Nintendo games are among those with the least story, certainly the least dialogue and cutscenes, of any in the industry. And your argument about 'gameplay' is all over the place. Exploration is gameplay. Exploration is the gameplay core BOTW is built around and what all the reviewers praised.

Muffdraul

I bought Zelda at launch but I didn't start playing it until almost two weeks later because I was busy playing Horizon. After I finished Horizon I was very happy to finally be playing Zelda, but the opening section turned me off so much that I put it down and went back and played through Horizon a second time. Now thoroughly burned out on Horizon, I went back to Zelda, and this time it really clicked for me. I ended up spending over 250 hours on the Wii U version, and then after taking a break for about a week I finally got a Switch and put about 130 hours into that version.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd have to say I think Zelda is the better game. But both are masterpieces as far as I'm concerned.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
We're in the same boat, OP. I really want to play Zelda, but I'm not willing to pay over $400 for a console with literally just 1 game I want to play, and nothing of interest on the horizon. Hold off the Switch until there's more games you want.

KrawlMan

I bought Zelda at launch but I didn't start playing it until almost two weeks later because I was busy playing Horizon. After I finished Horizon I was very happy to finally be playing Zelda, but the opening section turned me off so much that I put it down and went back and played through Horizon a second time. Now thoroughly burned out on Horizon, I went back to Zelda, and this time it really clicked for me. I ended up spending over 250 hours on the Wii U version, and then after taking a break for about a week I finally got a Switch and put about 130 hours into that version.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd have to say I think Zelda is the better game. But both are masterpieces as far as I'm concerned.

That's an impressive investment of time for Zelda. Might I ask what compelled you to put 250 hours into the Wii U, then a full on 130 into Switch? I'd figure at 250 hours you'd have exhausted all the game had to offer.

I'm considering jumping in again, but not until the Master Mode / Master Trials is out - at least to freshen the experience a bit.

We're in the same boat, OP. I really want to play Zelda, but I'm not willing to pay over $400 for a console with literally just 1 game I want to play, and nothing of interest on the horizon. Hold off the Switch until there's more games you want.

If nothing on the horizon is of interest (Mario Odyssey, Mario x Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2 etc) then I question whether you'll ever want the system. Is there anything Nintendo has made in the past that was appealing?

GenG3000

Horizon has amazing graphics, but you can't interact with that world at all. Your attacks go through trees and obstacles with no visible effect. So not seeing how gameplay is better in Horizon beyond a more technical combat and skill system.

Answering the OP, if you are not sure about Zelda, wait for more games before getting a Switch.

Muffdraul

That's an impressive investment of time for Zelda. Might I ask what compelled you to put 250 hours into the Wii U, then a full on 130 into Switch? I'd figure at 250 hours you'd have exhausted all the game had to offer.

I'm considering jumping in again, but not until the Master Mode / Master Trials is out - at least to freshen the experience a bit.

It was always my plan to play the Wii U version first and then the Switch version, exactly like I did with Twilight Princess on GC and then Wii. It's not that odd for me to replay a game soon after beating it, that's an old habit I've had ever since Super Mario World. Putting 380 hours into BotW was most certainly NOT part of my plan, but I don't think any game's world has ever sucked me in the way BotW did. Oh and also I've been unemployed since Feb and living on a severance pay out so I've had nothing but free time all year. =P

Majora

Nintendo fans are probably the people who care least about story out of everyone, since the story is barely there in most Nintendo games. If story is important to you then I'd argue you're most likely to find Sony's software line-up appealing since they focus very heavily on the gritty, cinematic single-player games.

Your disdain for people preferring puzzles and exploration is misguided. Why do you think people like Bethesda's open world games so much? Even though the end result is quite different, it's for largely the same reason as BotW - the level of freedom and the joy of discovery. I think it's safe to say most people don't love their games for the melee combat.

Zelda actually has a very decent combat system, with lots of ways you can mix things up apart from diving in with your sword. Is it as good as Horizon's combat system? Probably not. But then Horizon's world feels flat and lacking in secrets, variety and the thrill of exploration compared to Zelda.

It's ok to prefer one component of an open world game over another. I totally respect that some people may prefer a more combat focussed, cinematic open world game to an exploration focussed, systems driven one. My preference is for the latter but I don't think people who prefer the other are wrong. Unlike you, apparently.

timberger

Well... this thread went as expected.

For those that have played both, if I am loving Horizon, and really don't need or want another open-world adventure game, should I skip paying $460 for the Switch and Zelda?

Sounds like you've answered your own question here. No one game is worth buying a console for.

(And I'm really not trying to turn this into a "one game sucks" and "the other game is great" thread, honestly.)

If you mention Horizon in the same breath as Zelda, Nintendogaf are unlikely to let it be anything else, unfortunately... as you can see.

Quasar

...Although contrary to what some people are saying about zeldas combat, I found it enjoyable as well. The difference is that most of my Zelda enjoyment was from exploration and getting stronger, but not the combat itself.

Though I'm playing Horizon and I'm loving exploring this world so far.

For those that have played both, if I am loving Horizon, and really don't need or want another open-world adventure game, should I skip paying $460 for the Switch and Zelda?
Yes.

Finish Horizon, then wait until you are in the mood for an open-world-game again. Then reconsider if you really need to pay $460 for a Switch or if there is maybe another PS4 open-world-game that you are interested in?

Hojaho

3) You claim to have literally scoured the world for every single major game marker, including one that is literally inside Hyrule castle, but then could not be bothered to finish it, when after that you would be so OP you could wander through the front doors of the castle and finish the game in 5 minutes.

I lost interest right in the last OoT dungeon back in the days, and never finished that game. It's very possible for that guy to have done the same, even if the end was barely 5 minutes away.

Mark1

This really feels like the new Halo/Prime discussion lol. Both great games but offer different experiences despite sharing a similar viewpoint.

In this case open world is the new first person.

KrawlMan

I lost interest right in the last OoT dungeon back in the days, and never finished that game. It's very possible for that guy to have done the same, even if the end was barely 5 minutes away.

It hasn't happened for me in a long time, but for several games in the PS1/N64 era I got to the last boss and just never finished. For *some* it's because they were too challenging, but others, I don't have a clue.

Horizon has a more beautiful world that is more interesting to explore.
The story is way better in Horizon and a main pillar of the game.
Another main focus is Horizons action gameplay, which is pretty unique and very fun once you get the hand of it.

Zeldas world is a vast sandbox, it conveys a sense of freedom and adventure that Horizon rarely achieves.
The gameplay is slower and more puzzle focused, but also more diverse.

Bottom line:
Horizon is a story driven, open world action game with tight action gameplay mechanics, probably the most beautiful open world to date and a very good sci-fi story.

Zelda on the other hand is an actual adventure game. The games share some themes and mechanics, but actually they are not even in the same genre if you ask me.

Another reason I'm on the fence is that PS4 has nothing interested in, besides TLoU2 and maybe God of War, while Switch has a number of cool games.

I guess I am making my choice typing the above lol
Get a switch. I have both, but my ps4 is my Netflix machine now. I guess I'm just tired of AAA story driven hand holding games, and I'm really enjoying Nintendo's focus on fun. I'm sure that'll shift after a while, but Zelda/Mario Kart/Arms have been a massive breath of fresh air.

SpokkX

Get a switch. I have both, but my ps4 is my Netflix machine now. I guess I'm just tired of AAA story driven hand holding games, and I'm really enjoying Nintendo's focus on fun. I'm sure that'll shift after a while, but Zelda/Mario Kart/Arms have been a massive breath of fresh air.

Echoed

Have all other consoles but have only been playing switch since release - just fun games

The epic AAA story driven handholding titles are just not as fun for me anymore

zMiiChy-

Banned
Don't buy a console for one game
I'd advise you to save your money

Personally, both games seem overrated as all hell to me.

Arklite

(And I'm really not trying to turn this into a "one game sucks" and "the other game is great" thread, honestly.)

Sounds like you really don't need to if Horizon has you covered. Also, if Zelda is the only game that interests you I'd just look for a craigslist Wii U to play it on.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
wow this thread hmm

I actually beat both. Started Horizon first, played about halfway through, then jumped onto swtich for zelda.

At first I was really into horizon, really loved it, but zelda was different, it was like horizon was the pinnacle of the open world third person action rpg game refined to a t, and then Zelda was the evolution of open world on a totally new level.

I played for about 120 hours of zelda beat the 'story' and jumped back into horizon, which felt jarring at first, but ultimately got my grove back with it and finally beat it.

My take is zelda is a better open world game, perhaps THE best open world game in existence. However as my first zelda, (aside of the original nes ) that i ever beat, its really light on story and I couldn't get into the lore at all. (Also i hated the ending)

Horizon's story was absolutely fantastic imo, very satisfying, but fairly weak exploration wise. Lack of that ability to climb anything really felt awkward after playing zelda.

Both games have strong points. Zelda has massively better exploration and game play mechanics, maybe the best in the business.

Horizon is a new ip, using the old open world formula. It was almost an experiment, and damed good one at that. Really glad it turned out well. I expect part 2 to be amazing.

if we could somehow get a combination of the two, it might end up being the best game ever created.

crosses fingers for cyberpunk.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
If nothing on the horizon is of interest (Mario Odyssey, Mario x Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2 etc) then I question whether you'll ever want the system. Is there anything Nintendo has made in the past that was appealing?

Not much, really (Xeno 2 could be neat though). I could probably count the Nintendo first party games I've cared about post-NES on one hand. So they'd have to get some really great third party exclusives (like they did with Eternal Darkness and Bayonetta 2 for GC and Wii U) for me to buy the Switch at its current price point. But I've been toying with just buying a cheap Wii U to play Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness, Bayonetta 2 and BotW.

Dunkley

Both are really great games and I'd recommend you to not skip Breath of the Wild just if you have played Horizon. They have different ambitions and do a great job at doing what they set out to do.

Horizon main focus is having a very strong narrative about Aloy's position in the incredibly interesting culture the game's world builds up. It has really satisfying combat too and neat exploration, but the game's core focus is its' story and characters and it does that really well.

Breath of the Wild has a story and memorable characters too, but all that gets put on the backburner outside of isolated setpieces to rather underline how the game's main focus is exploration and experimentation. While there could be some stuff said about the story, the game's intro focuses more on introducing your toolset to you step by step and encouraging you to go wild with it rather than setting up a big and indepth story.

What Zelda lacks in story, it makes up in exploration and screwing around with the physics engine. What Horizon lacks in exploration compared to Zelda, it makes up with a satisfying narrative and enjoyable combat gameplay.

Both games are great. Horizon still does have nice exploration, and Zelda does have nice combat/story, but both games set out to do different things and of course excel at them more than the other.

Now to return to your base question: Should I play BotW if I already played Horizon? My answer is yes, but your milage on the game will vary since they have different ambitions and liking one game doesn't necessarily mean you'll enjoy the other. Personally I'd recommend it, but I'd also say you should watch more gameplay and inform yourself if this is a game for you and base your decision on that rather than having liked Horizon.

Moose84

As with a lot of Nintendo games, Zelda felt fresh and brought something new to the industry, with great gameplay.

Horizon was a technical showcase, but iterative and simply a more polished version of what we've been playing for the past decade.

BotW and HZD are very different games.

I've poured in 50+ hours into both.

I've obtained master sword and got over 120 shrines in BotW, but i couldn't bring myself to finish it.

I've completed HZD and wanted more. On my way to obtaining platinum. Can't wait for DLC.

I'd just have to say that BotW just isn't my type of game, while i thoroughly enjoyed HZD.

bad liar. bad troll.

webrunner

if you like post apocalyptic open world games where you can ride a thing with antlers, fight robots that have been taken over by Red Evilness, and hit things with a Stick, have you tried Nier Automata?

Lifeline

This thread went about as well I as expected.

We seriously calling people trolls and liars for saying they liked Horizon more.

Deku Tree

I don't know if it is worth the money to you or if you want to play other Switch games like Arms or MK8 or later Splatoon or Mario. But Zelda BotW is one of the GOAT games.

HZD is a great game too.

Both great games. Not similar at all.

edit: wow at people exaggerating their like/dislike of one of the two to make it seem superior. How low can we go.

We seriously calling people trolls and liars for saying they liked Horizon more.

If you're talking about me then I want you to explain how Boogalogist post is possible. Would be happy to go this fast for my next play through when the new DLC hits.

Else your post is just as the same as Zelda trolls... just putting you on the other side.
This said liking on game or the other shouldn't be the question and if OP can and is ok to spend the money for Zelda then he should go for it. I'm sure he can enjoy both games while some here seems not being able to enjoy two games on two different consoles smh
-_-

Lifeline, you're being disingenuous. Nobody is being called a liar or a troll for liking Horizon more than Zelda.

Boogalogist's post got called out because he claimed to find over 120 shrines in 50 hours with the game
and while finding 120 shrines in 50 hours is incredibly unlikely but not technically impossible
finding over 120 is impossible
because there's only 120 shrines in the game.

Top Bottom