• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(rumor) Was Nintendo Treehouse playing the retail/full version of Breath of the Wild?

First time making a thread here I think so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules but...

Based off of evidence myself and other people have found it appears that Treehouse was playing the retail version of the game. I will post some evidence possibly showing this below.

First, the version number of the Treehouse stream in comparison to the floor demo. The Treehouse stream is playing with version 1.0.0
f8b96e24ef161251c27dcbeb6adc3745.png

For comparison, the version number that is/was on the show floor is version 12S as shown below.
9bc5e980959d9814d58dc4f047b7e01a.png

Lastly, we have seen what looks like the retail game cart, not sure exactly where this was shown whether it be on the Treehouse stream.
881f6d4953c5614219ee09586fdd8774.png

More than anything, with this being a possibility I wonder if there are any differences in the videos we have showing either minor framerate fixes or visual things that are different. Has anyone else noticed this at all and if so has there been any discussion on it? In addition I wonder what the version number was that was shown off for the E3 2016 build of the game. It's definitely possible the game is gold and that they do have retail carts for QA purposes and that the demo on the show floor is purposely made to not trigger story stuff among other things.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's possible.

The game is less than 2 months away, it's probably getting printed as we speak.

dalindeck

Neo Member
Not sure if it was a release version, but it was definitely a newer version than was on the show floor. Also, that picture of the cartridge is from the Treehouse stream.

Storm360

Gonna say that's not the retail cart pictured, LA-H-AAAAA-USA certainly seems like a placeholder. not sure about the stream though, it's possible.

The game is about to go gold so there is no reason that whatever they used wouldnt pretty much be the final copy. Whatever Treehouse has access to is pretty much what we are going to be playing outside of a few fixes here and there.

iFirez

Ash from GameXplain got a glimpse at the quest log as the rep playing pressed LT while in the UI and he saw some quest which he thought seemed pretty late game.

wrowa

Likely, but the game card looks like a prototype, though, considering AAAAA doesn't look like a real product code.

Gaardus

The game comes out in six weeks and four days. If they want the game on store shelves on time, it pretty much has to be done already.

Berordn

Game development doesn't work like that no. Unless this is a bad joke I'm missing.

It's probably safe to say that the game was in a near final or feature complete state at E3. Done would be overselling it, but it's not hard to imagine that they'd stretch the timeline to ensure it's fresh and ready for the Switch launch.

I've got no proof though, just seems reasonable to me.

Zedark

It would make sense that the retail version is done, considering a game like Uncharted 4 went gold on march 18th and still had to be delayed to may 10th for a worldwide simultaneously launch, so I think Zelda definitely needs 5-6 weeks of shipping as well.

Jito

Banned
Makes sense seeing as the game is out so soon, why does it matter though?

Also that main menu is shit.

TheMoon

Gonna say that's not the retail cart pictured, LA-H-AAAAA-USA certainly seems like a placeholder. not sure about the stream though, it's possible.

Yup, that's not the product code. Demo card.

edit. wait - it actually might be?!

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aacca/index.html

that really is their new format. 1-2-Switch is AACCAA so it is entirely possible that BotW is AAAAAA
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/software/switch/index.html
product codes have always been used for URLs. zelda doesn't use one since it's for both Wii U and Switch versions.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I wonder why the playable version would be different from the Treehouse one. Aside from just delimiting the area.

Playhouse needed to switch between games and other things to showcase stuff. Where as showfloor needed to be tamper proof. GameXplain said in their QA vid that pressing the Home button was disabled. So I'm guessing all those Switch units were running some modified version of the system so only those very specific demo versions could be played. Lot of people messing around with the devices, don't want anyone accessing and messing with stuff they shouldn't/isn't meant to be shown yet.

SRTtoZ

Are Nintendo games known for day 1 patches changing anything drastically? Like resolution/framerate?

-shadow-

I think so actually. The game launches in six and a half weeks, it's very likely being pressed right now. But:

Is it just me, or does the red label actually just look glued/sticked on like a sticker?

Are Nintendo games known for day 1 patches changing anything drastically? Like resolution/framerate?

Never something like this. NintendoLand did incorporated a patch for Miiverse, but I think that's the biggest Day One patch.

KHlover

Banned
Game development doesn't work like that no. Unless this is a bad joke I'm missing.

Wouldn't be the first Zelda they've sat on a while before they released it. Wasn't Majora's Mask already done for like a year before its release date?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is it just me, or does the red label actually just look glued/sticked on like a sticker?

Looks like the whole label, there is a subtle border around the entire thing but the red of the Switch logo provides the most contrast.

Bottom left is rather apparent as well.

Pachinko

This game has been done since before E3...

If this were the EZA podcast I'd be using a prove it ticket on that.

I feel like the Wii U version of Zelda might have been ready in late October but it too has likely had another layer of polish poured on top.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, that means that the final release will still have shit performance? Great... Yeah, no reason to get this if you have a Wii U.

The demo isn't the final version to not spoil that you can play as a girl from the beginning.

#HopeWillNeverDie

Really like the title screen switching that I saw. Looks neat!

AmyS

I'm glad this thread was created.

Hopefully it can be used as a place to post info about any revisions of Zelda BotW and any differences (if any) between what we saw last week, and what ver. the final release is.

Edit:

I mean, obviously the game is done, but with such a massive game, there almost sure to be minor things optimized, fixed, etc. post release.
It happens all the time with far smaller games, Nintendo's included.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I mean there is always the chance final retail version will be like 1.0.1 or something as that does happen with games and the Treehouse version was near final version. Not sure about Nintendo specifically though and how they handle these things. But yeah they are at the point where time is up and they have to start assembling carts and shipping them out.

Eolz

It's probably safe to say that the game was in a near final or feature complete state at E3. Done would be overselling it, but it's not hard to imagine that they'd stretch the timeline to ensure it's fresh and ready for the Switch launch.

I've got no proof though, just seems reasonable to me.

I mean yes, it was probably in a good state at that point, but you don't polish a game in some months. Even without counting the localization, even more bugs appear during that polish phase if you want it to be great, and even more than that in an open world and/or sandbox game. You also obviously usually don't fix those issues in some days.
And above all (unless you're Ubisoft using petty arguments), you don't sit on a game when it's done.

"Feature complete" is definitely not the same as "done" (or close to it in some cases) :p

Wouldn't be the first Zelda they've sat on a while before they released it. Wasn't Majora's Mask already done for like a year before its release date?

Considering that MM was developed in a bit more than a year, no.

this is why I don't put much stock in the DF analysis since the demo build might be the same E3 build

The footage I saw on the Treehouse stream looked like 900p too. It's fully plausible that this was the final build given the game comes out in what, eight weeks?

Top Bottom