• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(rumor) Was Nintendo Treehouse playing the retail/full version of Breath of the Wild?

It's probably safe to say that the game was in a near final or feature complete state at E3. Done would be overselling it, but it's not hard to imagine that they'd stretch the timeline to ensure it's fresh and ready for the Switch launch.

I've got no proof though, just seems reasonable to me.
Yeah I'd imagine it's at least been in a state where you could play through the game start to finish with any side quests, minigames etc already implemented and they've just been tinkering with bug fixes and performance stuff since then.

Just thinking about it gets me pretty stoked!

this is why I don't put much stock in the DF analysis since the demo build might be the same E3 build

It definitely wasn't the E3 build. It might be a month or two older though as they had to get that demo ready to show weeks in advance. There might be a few tweaks but the demo was like very close to the final version.

Wouldn't be the first Zelda they've sat on a while before they released it. Wasn't Majora's Mask already done for like a year before its release date?
You mean Majora's Mask 3D (the N64 version being complete in that time would make it short development cycle minuscule). From the USK rating survey date (27.03.2014) the answer is yes considering the February 2015 release (USK require copies of the game to play though).

Also there is speculation about Twilight Princess being held back for the sake of the Wii version so Breath of Wild being held under the same thoughts would be no surprise.

Yeah, it's pretty close to retail build. Comparing the area at E3 and this one, there's been tweaks to the Sound Design (sheathing weapons has new sounds for each one), animations (especially the Flurry Rush which looks WAAAAAY better than it did at E3), balancing (Blue Bokoblins use reinforced Boko Clubs rather than Soldier Broadswords), camera transitions are smoother, Link's animations line up correctly now while at E3, Link's footsteps didn't line up properly when running or walking up stairs.

Persona7

Banned
Reggie unboxed the special edition and they had actual copies in a different stream so maybe it has entered full production already.

tanooki27

It's probably safe to say that the game was in a near final or feature complete state at E3. Done would be overselling it, but it's not hard to imagine that they'd stretch the timeline to ensure it's fresh and ready for the Switch launch.

I've got no proof though, just seems reasonable to me.

you're prob 3/4 right. they needed this as a launch title. but I'm sure they've been at least touching it up since e3

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Retail? Hell no.

Near finalized code? Surely

The demo on the floor meanwhile looked like it was just the Switch version of the E3 demo. So that was likely a several month old build (at least) unless Nintendo was crazy enough to rebuild a near identical demo.

This game has been done since before E3...

No it hasn't, Miyamoto mentioned how Nintendo was having trouble with the physics system (which is probably reflected in the Wii U version's framerate from the E3 build too), and Aonuma publically told attendees of one of the Zelda concerts that the dev team willingly gave up their holidays to finish the game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
One would think so being like 6 weeks from launch. They have a lot of copies to produce and I'd imagine proprietary game cards probably take longer to produce in bulk than standard DVD or Bluray discs.

Garou

In the Japanese stream when they did the stage-demo they said they were playing the retail-version(製品版).

jschreier

There were two Zelda demos on the show floor at the Switch event in NY. One was the E3 2016 demo. The other, which the attendants wouldn't let attendees play, showed some new chunks of the game including some stealth and a Guardian monster. An attendant told me that Nintendo didn't want people playing that second demo because it was the entire game.

Apathy

881f6d4953c5614219ee09586fdd8774.png

The Patriots control nintendo, I knew it

Hattori

Banned
There were two Zelda demos on the show floor at the Switch event in NY. One was the E3 2016 demo. The other, which the attendants wouldn't let attendees play, showed some new chunks of the game including some stealth and a Guardian monster. An attendant told me that Nintendo didn't want people playing that second demo because it was the entire game.
I knew it

If there is, it's usually to enable things like online features.

Yes, I'm pretty sure I remember SSB4 3DS (or some other online-enabled 3DS title) receiving a day-one patch on the eShop as a pre-load before the launch of the software itself, purely for online compatibility.

BY2K

Membero Americo

You're telling us this is 6 months old code?

Syriel

Gonna say that's not the retail cart pictured, LA-H-AAAAA-USA certainly seems like a placeholder. not sure about the stream though, it's possible.

Nintendo used that as a product code because Zelda's not just a triple-A game.

It's so good it requires five whole As.
:p

Making the sd cartridges is slower than prints discs?

Yes. Disc production is faster than producing silicon chips.

The Boat

You mean Majora's Mask 3D (the N64 version being complete in that time would make it short development cycle minuscule). From the USK rating survey date (27.03.2014) the answer is yes considering the February 2015 release (USK require copies of the game to play though).

Also there is speculation about Twilight Princess being held back for the sake of the Wii version so Breath of Wild being held under the same thoughts would be no surprise.

We know TP was delayed because of the Wii version, but they didn't just sit on it, they kept developing the game and adding stuff. They talk about it in an Iwata Asks I think.

It's really interesting then that the Switch version of Zelda is 900p docked if it is just the E3 demo while Splatoon 2 is 720p

The Jimmy Fallon demo was likely the full game as well.
Dont' see them making a separate demo just to showcase 20 seconds on a talk show.

Interesting, I wonder if the final build was 1080p while the E3 build was 900p. That could explain the confusion from the Nintendo rep. I don't suppose you could tell from watching it?

Anyway, the fact that people are having a hard time telling should indicate how little it actually matters.

Hattori

Banned
It's really interesting then that the Switch version of Zelda is 900p docked if it is just the E3 demo while Splatoon 2 is 720p
Splatoon still has ways to go, most likely wanted to target 60fps. There is still time to polish things up.
Wait, did the Switch demo have that new weather forecast bar at the bottom of the screen?
Nope. Surprisingly the Japanese Experience demo didn't have it either.

tsab

Interesting, I wonder if the final build was 1080p while the E3 build was 900p. That could explain the confusion from the Nintendo rep. I don't suppose you could tell from watching it?

Anyway, the fact that people are having a hard time telling should indicate how little it actually matters.

He's saying the demo content was the same content shown in E3 2016 for the Wii U not compile/build in June 2016.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wait, did the Switch demo have that new weather forecast bar at the bottom of the screen?

It did not. But the weird thing is that Death Mountain showed more detail. You could see the lava trails running down it which the Wii U E3 demo did not. I think overall there was less fog and some other minor increased details.

He's saying the demo content was the same content shown in E3 2016 for the Wii U not compile/build in June 2016.

As others have said, it makes no sense that they'd make a brand new build just to include the same content as the E3 build. It makes far more sense that they simply ported the E3 build to the Switch, as seen by the lack of weather forecast icons.

Not that I think this somehow limits the resolution, but at the very least it appears like it's running that exact same build from 7 months ago.

Josh7289

In the Japanese stream when they did the stage-demo they said they were playing the retail-version(製品版).

Do you have a link to this in a video?

From what I can tell it was Ver.12S at the Japanese stage demo (see this timestamp: https://youtu.be/yYnYWgwsJhE?t=4m27s), which is the same version that was on the floor at the public Switch events, as far as I can tell from other videos online.

Meanwhile the version played by Treehouse was Ver 1.0.0, which sounds more like a final retail version number to me.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do you have a link to this in a video?

From what I can tell it was Ver.12S at the Japanese stage demo (see this timestamp: https://youtu.be/yYnYWgwsJhE?t=4m27s), which is the same version that was on the floor at the public Switch events, as far as I can tell from other videos online.

Meanwhile the version played by Treehouse was Ver 1.0.0, which sounds more like a final retail version number to me.

Yeah that Japanese demo also lacks the Weather Forecast icon, just like the E3 build. So I would be surprised if that was retail version.

Caelus

No, but it might be something activated later on in the Shiekah Slate.

There are a lot of differences otherwise from the E3 demo, like different sound effects and lighting.

Vena

Most likely, Jason's info simply tells us that they likely didn't spend much effort on the show floor demo and it is highly likely to not be very optimized at all. It sounds like they just moved the code over, compiled, debugged, and let it loose.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
No, but it might be something activated later on in the Shiekah Slate.

There are a lot of differences otherwise from the E3 demo, like different sound effects and lighting.

That very well may be the case, but they did say they disabled the weather effects for the E3 build because of the fact that it was causing performance problems at the time. Which would make sense to then remove the Forecast icons since there wouldn't be any weather to forecast. I'd have to run through all the various videos but I don't think any of the recent footage from the Plateau demo had weather in them.

Top Bottom