• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Just reached 300 hours played, My 4th most played game ever right behind...

OG FF X-2 - 999 Hours (X2)
SO4 - 866 Hours
OG FF 12 - 330 Hours

Edit

Good to see HZD is still selling well

Bold One

I don't see it as a natural fit. Most of the interesting mechanics come from having wildly asymmetrical encounter design. Human-on-human combat is pretty dull. It's taking on a huge mechanical beast or a pack that gets interesting. Designing control mechanics for each of the creatures would be a heavy lift just to include multiplayer, and you'd lose a lot of what makes Aloy interesting: slow motion focus mode and slides don't work when the frame tick has be to roughly synchronized across all the players.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, but it does mean that I'd dismiss the idea if I were in their shoes. Without a compelling reason to do otherwise I don't see it.

I see it more as a co-operative MP than a competitive one...

Asynchronous online world ala Destiny would be pretty dope

So I'm trying to do everything in this game, Something I usually don't do but I don't want to let the game go.

Anyway, I got all crafting upgrades expecting some sweet trophy. I got nothing. NOTHING... except personal fullfillment knowing my character is fully decked out. Still I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed. Especially the freaking racoon skins were a b to get. Only got a few plants and 1 statue left then I have all the collectables. Woop woop!

mauaus

Just finished, what a game! my GOTY (For now still have to play p5 and nier, already finished Zelda, this takes it for the story and combat)

danthefan

I have that annoying how long left do I have question... I'm in the
Grave Hoard
mission, have I much story left? Amazing game but I need to move onto other stuff tbh. Would love to get it finished this weekend.

So, uh, guys, I think my game/save might be corrupted (ha) :(

So, I'm very early in the main story, currently doing the
Revenge of the Nora
Mission. I haven't gotten to
Meridian
yet, but I have
cleared the two corrupted zones
before heading to the Carja border.

After
The Proving
, as soon as you
awaken from within the mountain and gain your freedom
, I explored a little (and now I'm thinking a little too much). I did a bunch of side missions (hey, the game told me to!). I found a few oddities in my game insofar as game progression goes, but I didn't think anything of it. I also see random out of place objects floating about, like a log in the sky, things like that. The way I remember it happening is that as soon as I
overrode that first Strider
, I traveled down a main path and found a bunch of random things to do that seemed out of the ordinary. Go here, talk to this person, help this caravan, find this dude's sister, etc. I honestly thought nothing of deviating from the main storyline missions, because it's an open world game, right? But I started noticing that the game was referring to things as if Aloy already knew about them, including enemies I had never encountered before. One side quest in particular (
the one where the caravan needs help, then the member runs off with the others' belongings),
I had to start off with a pack of Watchers and Scrappers. Then a Longleg came out with more Scrappers. Then I had to chase the guy down and defeat a Stalker. I had never been introduced to those enemies aside from the Scrappers and Watchers before.

Then at the end of one the side missions, I was told to go into the first
Cauldron
because nobody knew what was there. I went, had to fight ShellWalkers along the way (never saw those before), then a Fire Bellowback that killed me 8x before I could defeat it (never saw that before either).

So at this point, the game is just randomly introducing new enemies to me before they come up in the story, or before the game usually introduces them to the player (I'm reading several Wikis and WalkThroughs and they all say these enemies come in later and in later areas of the game than when I encountered them). It was really hard, but doable. Well, now I'm stuck.

So,
Revenge of the Nora
. I'm clearing out the
3 camps before going into the main one to blow it up
. I notice the guides telling me that if I
disrupt the guards and they ring the alarm
, Corrupted Watchers and Scrappers will join the fight. I
cleared the first one out, was spotted
, but nothing came aside from some more guards.

Then,
I tried the second one. The alarm sounded
. And instantly I was frozen. Something froze me and I was stuck, lost 3/4 of my health and then a Corrupted Scrapper came and killed me instantly. So I restarted from the nearest save, and found out what happened. The game is now sending Corrupted Glinthawks at me. 3 of them, along with 6 corrupted Scrappers. I have no idea how to defeat a Glinthawk, I don't even know if I have the right weapons yet to defeat them. In fact, according to the walkthroughs I've read, I don't get access to better weapons or armor than what I have now until I reach the
Carja fort.

So, I'm literally stuck with enemies that are much too tough for me, probably without proper equipment. Yes, I may have explored, farmed, and leveled up too much. And I'm assuming that's why the game is throwing enemies at me that are supposed to come later on. But that's how I like to play RPGs, especially open world ones. The game told me as soon as I finished
The Proving
to help other people and explore the lands. But I feel like I'm being royally punished for it now because I can't even progress my save any longer. Even just roaming the lands now, I am surrounded by Fire and Freeze Bellowbacks, and Sawtooths. A grouping of enemies usually includes two of each, just roaming around.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could work this out, or do I need to just delete my game and start over?

prophecy0

I have that annoying how long left do I have question... I'm in the
Grave Hoard
mission, have I much story left? Amazing game but I need to move onto other stuff tbh. Would love to get it finished this weekend.

Just a few more story missions left. You could easily power through them over the weekend.

UnNamed

Banned
There's something i didnt' catch with the story,
My personal interpretation:

At first, there was the Glitch/Anomaly. Someone hinted FAS robot were hijacked by an unknown enemy with some sort of virus, but i don't think this is the case. For me, the Glitch was just a bug that prevented the robots to stop replicating themselves. A stupid mistake created by the arrogance of Ted Faro.

Then Sobek create the Zero Dawn project and, with the Alpha team helps, she creates GAIA and the other modules. Creator of Hades says Gaia nature tends to hide her intention to HADES, so they had to lift GAIA from her duties when Hades is activated, at the same time HADES can damage GAIA destroying Cauldron or machines or shelters if he's too powerful.

They also revive the Odissey project where they put the embryos and a copy of APOLLO in a spaceship in orbit, but the project failed soon. Maybe a copy of APOLLO is still there and safe. Later Faro delete APOLLO module and kill the Alpha team.

The planet is destroyed. Hundreds of years later, GAIA manage to reverse the code to stop Faro machines forever. Cauldrons and Machines were created.

Without APOLLO, humanity stay ignorant. When they left the shelters, they begins to create community, and what whe know as Nora, Carja, Oseram, ecc.

Time pass, suddendly GAIA receive an unknown signal wich corrupt subordinate modules which begin to be self aware and alerts HADES, who begins the plan to wipe out life on planet again. Was HADES corrupted or just follow the order to redo everything everytime an iteration goes wrong for whatever reason, and the machines didn't work as expected was a good reason for him?

Was Sylen trying to understand the tecnology left from Old Ones result to create the signal and the new anomaly? I don't think he's a robot, a former android created by FAS, but i ask myself why he have that implants in his body.

Gaia couldn't stop HADES directly, but she prevented further moves from him detonating herself.
Was HADES responsable for machine becoming ostile to human? I don't think so, maybe is because ARTEMIS (Animal module), surely it can be GAIA trying to protect herself.

Why HADES hates Aloy? Because he think she can reactivate GAIA?

Falchion

Did anyone ever pick the "Then Good Riddance" option in the Rost goodbye scene?

And if you did, the fuck is the matter with you?

Me when Aloy threw down her necklace.

myIMu3q.gif

There's something i didnt' catch with the story,
My personal interpretation:

Time pass, suddendly GAIA receive an unknown signal wich corrupt subordinate modules which begin to be self aware and alerts HADES, who begins the plan to wipe out life on planet again. Was HADES corrupted or just follow the order to redo everything everytime an iteration goes wrong for whatever reason, and the machines didn't work as expected was a good reason for him?

HADES was corrupted and freed, just like the other subroutines, and starts the extinction protocol because that's what it is programmed to do - whenever activated, wipe out life to begin anew. If working normally, GAIA would've been the one to figure out if HADES needed to be activated and why, HADES just did his thing.

Was Sylen trying to understand the tecnology left from Old Ones result to create the signal and the new anomaly? I don't think he's a robot, a former android created by FAS, but i ask myself why he have that implants in his body.

The origin of the signal isn't known yet. The implants/body modifications Sylens has (glowy fiber optics things) are a Banuk shaman thing.

Was HADES responsable for machine becoming ostile to human? I don't think so, maybe is because ARTEMIS (Animal module), surely it can be GAIA trying to protect herself.

HEPHAESTUS is the one responsible for the Derangement - the machines getting aggressive, hostile, actually. It's the subroutine that was responsible for designing and manufacturing the machines. Without GAIA, it started seeing humans as dangerous and detrimental to the terraforming efforts (what with all the robot hunting), so it weaponized the robots and started designing some specifically to cull the human population.

Why HADES hates Aloy? Because he think she can reactivate GAIA?

Probably because it knows she's able to interfere with its activities and is programmed to executed them to the best of his capabilities.

By the way, we have a spoiler thread :D

So, uh, guys, I think my game/save might be corrupted (ha) :(

So, I'm very early in the main story, currently doing the
Revenge of the Nora
Mission. I haven't gotten to
Meridian
yet, but I have
cleared the two corrupted zones
before heading to the Carja border.

After
The Proving
, as soon as you
awaken from within the mountain and gain your freedom
, I explored a little (and now I'm thinking a little too much). I did a bunch of side missions (hey, the game told me to!). I found a few oddities in my game insofar as game progression goes, but I didn't think anything of it. I also see random out of place objects floating about, like a log in the sky, things like that. The way I remember it happening is that as soon as I
overrode that first Strider
, I traveled down a main path and found a bunch of random things to do that seemed out of the ordinary. Go here, talk to this person, help this caravan, find this dude's sister, etc. I honestly thought nothing of deviating from the main storyline missions, because it's an open world game, right? But I started noticing that the game was referring to things as if Aloy already knew about them, including enemies I had never encountered before. One side quest in particular (
the one where the caravan needs help, then the member runs off with the others' belongings),
I had to start off with a pack of Watchers and Scrappers. Then a Longleg came out with more Scrappers. Then I had to chase the guy down and defeat a Stalker. I had never been introduced to those enemies aside from the Scrappers and Watchers before.

Then at the end of one the side missions, I was told to go into the first
Cauldron
because nobody knew what was there. I went, had to fight ShellWalkers along the way (never saw those before), then a Fire Bellowback that killed me 8x before I could defeat it (never saw that before either).

So at this point, the game is just randomly introducing new enemies to me before they come up in the story, or before the game usually introduces them to the player (I'm reading several Wikis and WalkThroughs and they all say these enemies come in later and in later areas of the game than when I encountered them). It was really hard, but doable. Well, now I'm stuck.

So,
Revenge of the Nora
. I'm clearing out the
3 camps before going into the main one to blow it up
. I notice the guides telling me that if I
disrupt the guards and they ring the alarm
, Corrupted Watchers and Scrappers will join the fight. I
cleared the first one out, was spotted
, but nothing came aside from some more guards.

Then,
I tried the second one. The alarm sounded
. And instantly I was frozen. Something froze me and I was stuck, lost 3/4 of my health and then a Corrupted Scrapper came and killed me instantly. So I restarted from the nearest save, and found out what happened. The game is now sending Corrupted Glinthawks at me. 3 of them, along with 6 corrupted Scrappers. I have no idea how to defeat a Glinthawk, I don't even know if I have the right weapons yet to defeat them. In fact, according to the walkthroughs I've read, I don't get access to better weapons or armor than what I have now until I reach the
Carja fort.

So, I'm literally stuck with enemies that are much too tough for me, probably without proper equipment. Yes, I may have explored, farmed, and leveled up too much. And I'm assuming that's why the game is throwing enemies at me that are supposed to come later on. But that's how I like to play RPGs, especially open world ones. The game told me as soon as I finished
The Proving
to help other people and explore the lands. But I feel like I'm being royally punished for it now because I can't even progress my save any longer. Even just roaming the lands now, I am surrounded by Fire and Freeze Bellowbacks, and Sawtooths. A grouping of enemies usually includes two of each, just roaming around.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I could work this out, or do I need to just delete my game and start over?

Doesn't sound like a bug, I fought Glinthawks on the third camp on my first playthrough and I explored just the initial area. You're just supposed to fight humans, everything else could join because proximity. Personally I just killed the humans and then died, the mission gets completed anyway. The same happened with another camp and Scrappers. Just focus the humans and the camp will get cleared regardless the machines.

The Bellowbacks are in a close area but they shouldn't be on those camps, don't go near them.

Machines just live in the world, they're not "presented first" in the story.

Garlador

Beat the game earlier today. Got all the achievements. Not ready to say goodbye to this game yet so I'm tracking down ALL the text and audio logs I missed.

Megatron

Are side Quest missable? I am extremely early on, and got the quest to find the girl's brother who was banished for ten years. But it's 600 yards away. If I go do a story mission I won't lose it, right?

antipod

Finally beat it, took little over 72 hours on hard earning the platinum trophy. Having a kid and being in the middle of moving, playtime was scarce. Bought the game on release day. :)

What a ride it was. Favorite game this generation by far. The wait for an expansion and sequel now... *sigh* :/

Anyway, time to join the fun in the spoiler thread.

Alienous

I've just gotten the ability to get a mount and the game has been a chore up until this point.

How much longer until I get into the meat of the game?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Garlador

I've just gotten the ability to get a mount and the game has been a chore up until this point.

How much longer until I get into the meat of the game?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Define "meat".

Travel gets super easy the further in you get. After you can summon a mount at will, or get infinite fast travel...

The "meat" for me was story missions, lodge hunts, cauldrons, and typically being woefully underprepared whenever a Stormbird flew over me as I was climbing cliffs...

Alienous

Define "meat".

Travel gets super easy the further in you get. After you can summon a mount at will, or get infinite fast travel...

The "meat" for me was story missions, lodge hunts, cauldrons, and typically being woefully underprepared whenever a Stormbird flew over me as I was climbing cliffs...

I basically mean "how much longer until I get into the core gameplay loop".

Like, if this were The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it would be leaving the Grand Plateau. From that point on the game is sort of in your hands.

For Horizon: Zero Dawn I feel like I'm shuffling between story moments, and I'm wondering where that ends and I get control of the direction of the game. Having just gotten a mount I still feel like I'm going through a tutorial, despite having played for hours.

Garlador

Like, if this were The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it would be leaving the Grand Plateau. From that point on the game is sort of in your hands.

For Horizon: Zero Dawn I feel like I'm shuffling between story moments, and I'm wondering where that ends and I get control of the direction of the game. Having just gotten a mount I still feel like I'm going through a tutorial, despite having played for hours.

I'm not sure how far in you are. Game is pretty massive and open almost from the get-go (at least after you leave the Nora village). After you get the ability to hack and get a mount, I was able to pretty much go anywhere, stumble upon towns, side-quests, cauldrons, challenge trials, etc.

The main story is the focus and meat, but along the way you just do sidequests and challenges as you discover them (usually along routes the story takes you through).

That's the core gameplay loop. Get a quest (main or side), typically hunt down the machine or bandits responsible, gathering resources and experience along the way, culminating in rewards and story progression that allows you to upgrade your character and her inventory to tackle bigger, stronger enemies and more ferocious challenges from newer quests and missions you'll encounter as you progress the story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Where are you in the game because the opening has like 3 sections in my opinion and doesn't really and truly open up until you
finally leave the Nora lands

Can someone tell me how far I am in the main story and how many main quests I still have left to go?

Can't remember the quest name but I just went past the fort and on my way to myridium to meet Olin.

In a panel discussion related to the documentary shown on Dutch TV there were some shots of data gathered during playtesting which are interesting to see:

vUvh8r1.jpg

These were the paths taken in playtesting and one thing noted was that players swam across the lake center-left a lot as their quest marker indicated that was where they should go. This lead to the quest arrow using roads for indicating directions and the strange situations you have where the destination is 150 away while the arrow indicates 200 going the wrong way. Playtesters also managed to get outside the marked map area and the bottom left area was not visited enough.

rk6nTIQ.jpg

This was not talked about which is a shame, please ask GG on Twitter what all this means.

The whole panel is here, in Dutch without subtitles: https://vimeo.com/213811915

-SG

Would you guys consider this to be a game that can be played in 30 min - 1 hour chunks? I want to pick it up but my gaming time is somewhat limited for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for game that I can chip away at whenever I have time.

Would you guys consider this to be a game that can be played in 30 min - 1 hour chunks? I want to pick it up but my gaming time is somewhat limited for the foreseeable future, so I'm looking for game that I can chip away at whenever I have time.

I have a friend that played it that way, he's on the final mission but he eventually ended up playing in larger chunks of 3 or 4hs. Started like you said because he doesn't have much time (parenting and all that) but he was so engaged that managed to make more time for the game.

Can't add much else. :/

At what point can I start getting rid of resources? I'm at capacity even with 100 slots for resources and I have pretty much every Shadow weapon/armor I could want. If I could ditch skins/bones/etc that would save me a ton of space.

Alienous

Horizon really isn't clicking for me.

- The framerate feels poor. There seems to be dips in most fights with robots, whenever they kick up dirt.

- I keep losing track of my mounts. It seems like I have to keep an eye on them to have them stick around. Replacing them is a chore.

- That quest design is just... eugh. The intro and outro dialogue seems done well enough, but the actual tasks are generic as hell.

- It's so mechanically cluttered. I'm hunting for a particular type of meat to expand my inventory, I open a chest and get loot boxes within them, I can't keep track of what resources I need and which I should forget about.

- The human enemies are a chore to fight. There's nothing dynamic about people running into a arrow aimed at their head, or standing still and just firing shots at you.

- The game doesn't look as good as SunhiLegend's .gifs. The game has its moments but at least on a regular PS4 I'm finding those few and far between, and the novelty of a lot of the impressive parts (such as faces) has already begun to wane. It's pretty, but I'd have taken half of the fidelity for more solid performance.

It's strange, because my tastes in games don't tend to deviate from the widely accepted as good.

The only thing I'm really getting into is the story, because they're setting up a pretty compelling mystery here.

I'm not sure how far in you are. Game is pretty massive and open almost from the get-go (at least after you leave the Nora village). After you get the ability to hack and get a mount, I was able to pretty much go anywhere, stumble upon towns, side-quests, cauldrons, challenge trials, etc.

The main story is the focus and meat, but along the way you just do sidequests and challenges as you discover them (usually along routes the story takes you through).

That's the core gameplay loop. Get a quest (main or side), typically hunt down the machine or bandits responsible, gathering resources and experience along the way, culminating in rewards and story progression that allows you to upgrade your character and her inventory to tackle bigger, stronger enemies and more ferocious challenges from newer quests and missions you'll encounter as you progress the story.

Where are you in the game because the opening has like 3 sections in my opinion and doesn't really and truly open up until you
finally leave the Nora lands

I appreciate the responses but man, I just can't seem to get into this. I'm past the points you've mentioned.

Garlador

Horizon really isn't clicking for me.
Let my address some of these and share my experience. Interesting how they differ.

- The framerate feels poor. There seems to be dips in most fights with robots, whenever they kick up dirt.
This is odd. Performance was rock-solid for me, and I'm on the original PS4 standard. Never dipped for me in 60 hours, even as I was being blasted, hammered with rocks, in the midst of intense weather effects, etc. Not saying you didn't experience them, but I'm surprised. Analysis and testimony paint this as one of the most technically smooth games released in ages.

- I keep losing track of my mounts. It seems like I have to keep an eye on them to have them stick around. Replacing them is a chore.
Don't rely on mounts. They're only really for main paths. When you venture off-road, they are far less useful. Fast travel kits are faster and easy to craft, and the game map updates to let you know WHERE mounts can be found. Eventually, you can just summon a mount at will along with unlimited fast travel. Hoof it on foot when you can, if only to get resources. You have infinite sprint too. It works when swimming too.

- That quest design is just... eugh. The intro and outro dialogue seems done well enough, but the actual tasks are generic as hell.
There are better ones. Much better. One "side quest" I did ballooned into an epic, kingdom-altering ordeal that changed history.

- It's so mechanically cluttered. I'm hunting for a particular type of meat to expand my inventory, I open a chest and get loot boxes within them, I can't keep track of what resources I need and which I should forget about.
Tip: every item has a description of what it is used for. Sell anything that is "sell to merchants for shards" only. Sell mods that are green and merely uncommon. If you have more than 100 of something, you can typically sell extras. Also, if you need a resource, there is the option to "create a job" which will create a quest for that resource.

- The human enemies are a chore to fight. There's nothing dynamic about people running into a arrow aimed at their head, or standing still and just firing shots at you.
They get more advanced. You're starting off with dumb ones. Soon they get armor that prevents headshots, they get powerful weapons, and they start doing things like flanking, using enslaved machines, and having snipers and rushers team up.

- The game doesn't look as good as SunhiLegend's .gifs. The game has its moments but at least on a regular PS4 I'm finding those few and far between, and the novelty of a lot of the impressive parts (such as faces) has already begun to wane. It's pretty, but I'd have taken half of the fidelity for more solid performance.
Again, standard PS4. Not one issue. I'm not sure why for you. It's absolutely like Sunhi for me. I suggest investing in new skills and weapons (and ammo types) to make combat far, FAR more versatile. Bombs, tripwires, ropecasters, tear ammo, etc. No enemy is weak to the same strategy. Stay on your toes. Leverage your environment. Get abilities that address your weaknesses and boost your strengths. Use mods that do the same. I had a sneaking suit with stealth mods for half the game with stealth skills prioritized. It was great.

It's strange, because my tastes in games don't tend to deviate from the widely accepted as good.
Experiment around a bit. If one approach isn't working, try another. Everything for weapons to outfits to skills to mods can radically shape progression.

The only thing I'm really getting into is the story, because they're setting up a pretty compelling mystery here.
It only gets better.

I appreciate the responses but man, I just can't seem to get into this. I'm past the points you've mentioned.
I'm not sure how far past it. I'll say this; I was stumbling upon giant, sprawling towns over and over that I initially missed and started encountering new machines, cultures, and quest variety after Meridian. Everything else really is just extra fun - bandit camps, metal flowers, trials, etc. - but you'll get some decent quests in every major town and settlement.

HStallion

Yeah I was playing on the OG PS4 and I was absolutely amazed at how smooth the game ran even with the huge fights I would get into. I was in with Rock Breakers, Behemoths, Glint Hawks and all kinds of insanity and I don't think there was a single hiccup the entire time. Perhaps your PS4 is having issues because its one of the more amazingly smooth open world AAA experiences and puts most of its competitors to shame in this area.

Alienous

Let my address some of these and share my experience. Interesting how they differ.

This is odd. Performance was rock-solid for me, and I'm on the original PS4 standard. Never dipped for me in 60 hours, even as I was being blasted, hammered with rocks, in the midst of intense weather effects, etc. Not saying you didn't experience them, but I'm surprised. Analysis and testimony paint this as one of the most technically smooth games released in ages.

Don't rely on mounts. They're only really for main paths. When you venture off-road, they are far less useful. Fast travel kits are faster and easy to craft, and the game map updates to let you know WHERE mounts can be found. Eventually, you can just summon a mount at will along with unlimited fast travel. Hoof it on foot when you can, if only to get resources. You have infinite sprint too. It works when swimming too.

There are better ones. Much better. One "side quest" I did ballooned into an epic, kingdom-altering ordeal that changed history.

Tip: every item has a description of what it is used for. Sell anything that is "sell to merchants for shards" only. Sell mods that are green and merely uncommon. If you have more than 100 of something, you can typically sell extras. Also, if you need a resource, there is the option to "create a job" which will create a quest for that resource.

They get more advanced. You're starting off with dumb ones. Soon they get armor that prevents headshots, they get powerful weapons, and they start doing things like flanking, using enslaved machines, and having snipers and rushers team up.

Again, standard PS4. Not one issue. I'm not sure why for you. It's absolutely like Sunhi for me. I suggest investing in new skills and weapons (and ammo types) to make combat far, FAR more versatile. Bombs, tripwires, ropecasters, tear ammo, etc. No enemy is weak to the same strategy. Stay on your toes. Leverage your environment. Get abilities that address your weaknesses and boost your strengths. Use mods that do the same. I had a sneaking suit with stealth mods for half the game with stealth skills prioritized. It was great.

Experiment around a bit. If one approach isn't working, try another. Everything for weapons to outfits to skills to mods can radically shape progression.

It only gets better.

I'm not sure how far past it. I'll say this; I was stumbling upon giant, sprawling towns over and over that I initially missed and started encountering new machines, cultures, and quest variety after Meridian. Everything else really is just extra fun - bandit camps, metal flowers, trials, etc. - but you'll get some decent quests in every major town and settlement.

Thanks a ton for the response. There is a lot to like in this game, when you're trying to use your wits to take down some of the most dynamic creatures I've seen in a game, so I'm really eager to have the game fully click.

I'll try the game on a different TV - I'm using a much older one than I generally do, so that could be contributing to the performance issues I'm perceiving, along perhaps with the graphics not grabbing me. I might use my PSVR headset, actually, to see if that's really the cause.

pswii60

I've just finally spent my first two hours with Horizon.

Let me first say that I really didn't think this game would be for me. I'm not a big fan of open world games and the 'Ubisoft game' label had been seriously putting me off. I also didn't think much of Killzone.

Well.. holy fucking shit I was wrong. I can't remember the last time a game sucked me in so much instantly from the outset. It's everything! The music is stunning. The facial expressions and eyes of the characters really draw you in to the screen. The atmosphere is sublime. The animations are flawless. The controls feels instantaneous with no lag. The game looks mind-bending, jaw-dropping on my PS4 Pro (in HDR on OLED).. it constantly makes my hairs stand on end.. I've never seen anything like it. Not a jaggy in sight. And it's so damn polished. And it has that sense of discovery and exploration, but no in the usual gamey way.. but like I've been transported directly in to the vast world of an amazing epic movie. Wow.

I can't wait to get back to it. And yes, I've already played through BotW. But it didn't make me feel so tingly when I was playing it like this has in the last couple of hours!

Garlador

I've just finally spent my first two hours with Horizon.

Let me first say that I really didn't think this game would be for me. I'm not a big fan of open world games and the 'Ubisoft game' label had been seriously putting me off. I also didn't think much of Killzone.

Well.. holy fucking shit I was wrong. I can't remember the last time a game sucked me in so much instantly from the outset. It's everything! The music is stunning. The facial expressions and eyes of the characters really draw you in to the screen. The atmosphere is sublime. The animations are flawless. The controls feels instantaneous with no lag. The game looks mind-bending, jaw-dropping on my PS4 Pro.. it constantly makes my hairs stand on end.. I've never seen anything like it. Not a jaggy in sight. And it's so damn polished. And it has that sense of discovery and exploration, but no in the usual gamey way.. but like I've been transported directly in to the vast world of an amazing epic movie. Wow.

I can't wait to get back to it. And yes, I've already played through BotW. But it didn't make me feel so tingly when I was playing it like this has in the last couple of hours!

I haven't really talked about Horizon's music, but you're right. The main theme, training music, and City on the Mesa are all songs I've frequently got on rotation lately.

HStallion

The music is great and they really went all out with it. The songs the Sun Priests sing as sunrise and sunset are really cool as well. Stuff like that really added to the atmosphere and the feeling of being there.

Skux

Well.. holy fucking shit I was wrong. I can't remember the last time a game sucked me in so much instantly from the outset. It's everything! The music is stunning. The facial expressions and eyes of the characters really draw you in to the screen. The atmosphere is sublime. The animations are flawless. The controls feels instantaneous with no lag. The game looks mind-bending, jaw-dropping on my PS4 Pro (in HDR on OLED).. it constantly makes my hairs stand on end.. I've never seen anything like it. Not a jaggy in sight. And it's so damn polished. And it has that sense of discovery and exploration, but no in the usual gamey way.. but like I've been transported directly in to the vast world of an amazing epic movie. Wow.

Welcome! You're gonna love it :)

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
The music is great and they really went all out with it. The songs the Sun Priests sing as sunrise and sunset are really cool as well. Stuff like that really added to the atmosphere and the feeling of being there.

I didn't know that was a thing. I wish the cities were more interesting because there is so many little touches like that in the game. Its just missing like one little element to really tie the world together.

Melchiah

Why not learn Call Mount from the Forager skill tree?

EDIT:
I haven't really talked about Horizon's music, but you're right. The main theme, training music, and City on the Mesa are all songs I've frequently got on rotation lately.

The second part of the soundtrack is my favorite as a whole, particularly tracks like Trails in the Darkness and Territory of None, whereas the third is the least.

This animation reel from the lead animator is amazing

https://vimeo.com/215179034

Thanks for sharing that.

Smidget

Is there a recommended "getting started" guide to work with? I'm about 8 hours in and doing a ton of side quests but don't feel like I know what I'm doing with weapons. What is the path I should take with those? Got to a hunting challenge that I need to freeze stuff with... but don't have that yet. Thanks!

Top Bottom