• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenRA C&C remaster project; includes Red Alert, Dune 2000, Tiberian Dawn

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder if they ever get around making Dune 2000 mod properly (as it is, it is clearly pre-alpha). Yeah, i get the originals and Tiberian Sun are priorities but still...
Thankfully real Dune 2000 is still playable on modern machines (*cough* is abandonware allowed on GAF? I should probably ask a mod, right?).

Oh, and damn EA for killing the wonderful franchise. We're probably never getting any new CnC at this rate :(

Anyway, the OpenRA project is actually an RTS engine, not just CnC-"remake", right? That has possibilities...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wonder if they ever get around making Dune 2000 mod properly (as it is, it is clearly pre-alpha). Yeah, i get the originals and Tiberian Sun are priorities but still...
Thankfully real Dune 2000 is still playable on modern machines (*cough* is abandonware allowed on GAF? I should probably ask a mod, right?).

Oh, and damn EA for killing the wonderful franchise. We're probably never getting any new CnC at this rate :(

Anyway, the OpenRA project is actually an RTS engine, not just CnC-"remake", right? That has possibilities...

Yeah, I agree. It was truly unfortunate with how badly EA killed the franchise after it seemed like they had brought it back stronger than ever at C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah, I agree. It was truly unfortunate with how badly EA killed the franchise after it seemed like they had brought it back stronger than ever at C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath

Hell, from the videos, CnC Generals 2 looked pretty good, and they still cancelled it...
It is great fans are keeping the series alive, kind of anyway.

Tagyhag

This is so cool, not sure if I should try it now or wait for the stable release. Red Alert 2 was my first C&C so I'd love to go back to the classics.

I know a lot of people didn't like Dune 2000 but I thought it was cool.

The playtests are fine. I'm not sure why they are distinguishing releases between "playtest" and "release", as they mostly play the same.

Try it. The download is super-small too.

Tworak

ahh dune 2000 love of my life
happytears.gif

too bad about no music (for dune 2000), but I probably shouldn't complain too loudly about it.

me0wish

Always thought that OpenRA is pretty amazing, I still think it needs a lot of work though, its runs slow and not as smooth as the original games. Single player needs a lot of work.

Sini

A new release came out yesterday

Most visible changes:
Support for installing assets from an English “The First Decade” DVD.
Adding the ability to view the map after a match completes.
Adding a notification when a game admin selects a map with custom rules.
Recording replays for single player missions.
Removing the “Enemy Detected” warnings from RA and D2K.
Fixing bottlenecks in the AI and harvesters to dramatically improve late-game performance. (This is a big one)
Other notable changes include:

Completely overhauled in-game music behaviour (don’t forget to install the music from Extras → Music!).
Capture screenshots (saved to the support directory) using Ctrl/Cmd+P.
Units will no longer pursue enemies after they disappear under the fog of war.
Improved aircraft and paradrop behaviour in RA.
Added missions Atreides01a and Atreides01b and FMV installation to D2K.

This is so awesome! I've got to contribute to this project! This and 0 A.D.! Gonna start learning C++ right now!
OpenRA is C# project btw.

I'm confused... How is this legal?

Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert and Dune 2000 are all free on EA's website.

It's just the open-source codebase, you have to install your own assets from the game CDs that you own.

You don't need to do this at all. The executable you download from the OpenRA website grabs the assets from the EA servers. Everything is automated. The user simply has to start the executable and everything installs itself.

Sini

You don't need to do this at all. The executable you download from the OpenRA website grabs the assets from the EA servers. Everything is automated. The user simply has to start the executable and everything installs itself.
They have their own content repositories, EA only has/had .iso's.

OpenRA also has steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/openra
Which isn't much active, but it would be more active if it had more people.

Woorloog

Banned
A while ago. Even Tiberian Sun is free and the OpenRA team is modifying it.

Check the website, dude. The project is awesome! :)

I know OpenRA, i was just surprised EA is offering Dune 2000... I only remember when they released CnC and RA for free, and then TibSun.

5taquitos

Oh cool, I honestly hadn't looked into this yet, just assumed it was like other open game projects. Sounds awesome and even easier!

smisk

How far along is single player implementation? If I've never played these games before should I try openRA or just play vanilla first?

How far along is single player implementation? If I've never played these games before should I try openRA or just play vanilla first?

The single player is barely implemented (only five or so missions are in for Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert). And it has progressed extremely slowly. Play the original games first if you want to experience the campaigns.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Sorta related Amazon has the C&C Collection for $5. You get 17 games.

• Command & Conquer
  • Command & Conquer The Covert Operations
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Counterstrike
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert The Aftermath
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun
  • Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun Firestorm
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 2
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert Yuri's Revenge
  • Command & Conquer Renegade
  • Command & Conquer Generals
  • Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour
  • Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
  • Command & Conquer 3 Kane’s Wrath
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
  • Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising
  • Command & Conquer 4 Tiberian Twilight

Origin only. No region locks.

Fucking bought.

Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 3 are my shit.

There was an updated release on Christmas Eve.

In addition, OpenRA now offers an additional way of scrolling the map similar to the way it worked in the original Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 (by right-clicking and moving the mouse). To use it, select the “Joystick” scrolling option in the input settings dialog.

A change we are sure many will rejoice to hear is that units will now start with the “Defend” stance by default. No more losing units that decided to hunt after enemies without your explicit orders!

Another big focus of this release has been overhauling our Dune 2000 mod. We have added Thumpers, spice blows, and rebalanced all unit and building statistics to more closely match the original game.

The Red Alert mod has received some much-needed balance changes, with a focus on making the country-specific units more interesting and useful. The changes are too numerous to list them all here, have a look at the changelog for all the details. There are also a total of five new missions for the Soviet single-player campaign, which means that it is the first of our campaigns to be 50% complete!

The Tiberian Dawn mod also includes two new single-player missions, as well as some minor balance changes and several new multi-player maps.

Sini

Yeah, the addition of scrolling with the right mouse cursor is a big deal for me. The lack of it was the one thing bugging me about the game; now it's fixed.

It almost got reassigned to middle mouse button since it caused a bug with attack move.

Really glad it made in though.

A new release was released last month. I think the changes are mostly under-the-hood.

We are proud to announce a new stable release of OpenRA!

Development for this release started about six months ago, and in this time 50 developers contributed a total of 1,232 commits that added more than 14,000 lines of code.

So what has changed?

A lot of work went into fixing minor bugs and omissions to make the game experience more pleasant:

Nod units in the Tiberian Dawn campaign finally use their original silver coloring.
Starting a game after installing a map no longer causes the player to be kicked from the server.
The lobby color validator will no longer complain as much as it used to.
Walls now reliably stop bullets.
Husks blocking refineries can now be targeted and destroyed.
We have also added the much-requested feature to restart missions and skirmish games, but this does not yet extend to multi-player games. Furthermore, the minimap radar will now also make use of team colors if those are enabled. Health bars can be set to only appear when the unit is damaged. Finally, the “Fragile Diplomacy” option has been removed.

UI-wise, issues with the left-click orders have been fixed. Additionally, it is now possible to zoom using Ctrl/Cmd+Scrollwheel (the spectator view and map editor offer two additional zoom levels). Two new modifier keys allow disabling line-building of walls (hold Shift during placement) and canceling an entire build queue (hold Ctrl when clicking).

Top Bottom