• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

How do I find out who likes what? They don't mention what they like when you talk to them.

Anyways Alex is my secret Santa, what does he like or how can I find out?

Some characters reveal their interests as you progress with your friendship, and some tell you their family members likes/loves gifts too.

Anyway, Alex is always working out... So you cant go wrong with eggs.

His best gifts (love) is two cooked dishes.
Complete breakfast and Salmon dinner

funo

Started a new farm with the express purpose of getting max fishing as soon as possible
so that I could catch The Legend, which I accomplished! Got level 10 fishing on Spring 19 of the first year and caught The Legend on the same day. Also managed to fish up a dinosaur egg and neptune's glaive super early on, so I'm feeling pretty good about continuing on with this save.

Yup, fishing makes a ton of money if you spend a lot of time with it.

Is there any way you could write up (or link to) a short-ish guide on how to achieve this?

I've put 100+ hours into the PC version of this game and for the life of me cannot start a game on the Switch without a specific path to min/max a certain thing.

I've restarted the game 20+ times now because something went wrong during the first couple of days ... I cannot "let go" and just play without things working out perfectly :/

Thanks. I was hoping I didn't have to use a guide. Oh well!

Yeah, I feel you. Just using it for what I call "clerical" stuff. If you can only give your suitors 2 gifts a week, you should probably make them count. For example, I learned quickly Haley doesn't like dandelions..what?? lol.

Naar

Yeah, I feel you. Just using it for what I call "clerical" stuff. If you can only give your suitors 2 gifts a week, you should probably make them count. For example, I learned quickly Haley doesn't like dandelions..what?? lol.

How do you make barn animals mate?

Venfayth

Is there any way you could write up (or link to) a short-ish guide on how to achieve this?

I've put 100+ hours into the PC version of this game and for the life of me cannot start a game on the Switch without a specific path to min/max a certain thing.

I've restarted the game 20+ times now because something went wrong during the first couple of days ... I cannot "let go" and just play without things working out perfectly :/

Honestly just fish all day as much as you can, make sure you fish from the river at the south of town (or the river farm layout), ESPECIALLY during rain. You get way more money/exp fishing from the river during the rain. Try to catch catfish as best as you can, they're pretty hard at the start of the game, but if you get lucky you can get a few.

Spend your money on getting new fishing poles as soon as you can. As soon as you can buy the first fishing rod you should start filling it with bait. Spending 500 on 100 bait is absolutely worth it because of how much it increases fishing speed.

I spent a few days working on my farm, so it's not super difficult to do, you just really need to spend all day fishing. You can only
catch The Legend at 10 fishing while it's raining at the lake outside the mine
so just once you get your fishing high enough, stock up on Dish O' The Seas and cork (or lead) bobbers from Willy. I'd recommend 3 of each, that should last you all day. Then when you get a rainy day just head out there, pop your food, put on your bobber and pray. It's still pretty luck based trying to secure the catch. It can give you nice patterns, or awful ones.

I need to vent. Have already put 25+ hours into Stardew and have been keeping it in sleep mode when not playing. I have this Elite Player backpack that carries my dock, cables, and 3 pro controllers. Never know where I’ll be located for the job, plus might visit friends or family between shifts.

H9isj4r.jpg

Nintendo, why do you make your pro controller trollers socsensitive?! I had my back pack in my lap while using the Switch in table top mode looking through my friends list. Decided to set it down and all of my pro controllers turned on and moved the cursor through the menus while clicking buttons.

Note: I did not throw or manhandle the backpack. I lifted it up from my lap and leaned it down.

I look up and somehow the controller clicked on my friends Mario Kart hours and said “ yada yada Start game?”. I was like “Oh no!” but the controller still clicked A on itself. Next popped up “Do you really want to close your game?” I was determined to not close it so tried my best to gently let go of the backpack and let it rest on the chair. What happens? It clicks A again and closes my game anyways.

Why do Joycons take a double home press to start but pro controllers are so sensitive?

Damn, that sucks. If you're caught in that position again I would try immediately pressing the power button on the Switch to put it to sleep so button presses won't be registered

Oh man I'm so glad it's not just me. This has been driving me nuts. It only happens after I've been playing for a while. So far closing the game and relaunching it is the only fix I've found :-/

Yeah I'm also having this issue and I thought it was the switch but looks like it is the game. I've restarted it 3 times and it hasn't fixed it yet so maybe a couple of tries it might? I don't know...it sucks a lot though.

---

I need some help on mining. I'm scared to do it because I feel like I don't have enough money to risk dying in there and losing everything but at the same time, I don't even know if I'm fully equipped. What have some people been doing for mining?

Brakke

Banned
Artisan Goods are generally safe bets for gifts. Almost everybody appreciates some nice, fresh mayo. Honey's a solid gift, too. Pick something that's easy to produce which near everybody likes, then add a "loved" gift for your lover and something to cover the whiners. Everybody except Penny likes Mead (put Honey in a Keg), which is probably the best general purpose gift? Until you can mass-produce Diamonds, anyway.

Stardew Valley is the Dark Souls of farming games I suppose. Read the item descriptions! Dandelion says it's "Not the prettiest flower, but the leaves make a good salad.". Ditsy bimbos ain't out here tryna get salads as gifts.

How do you make barn animals mate?

It just kind of happens. If you speak to an animal twice so you get the little status screen with name and heart level, you can disable pregnancy. But as far as I can tell there's no way to force it with "potions" or whatever like there was in Harvest Moon.

Mediking

That cutscene of Linus digging through trash reminds me of the homeless guy in Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life who would also dig through trash for food.

Small rant.

Tried this on the PC, but it never clicked for me. Thought I'd give it another go on the Switch and it's definitely been worming it's way into my brain more and more - but it's also bringing out one of my least favorite aspects of how I play games.

Min/Maxing.

I normally start of a play session doing good - just enjoying running around and doing tasks as they come up. Farm a little, fish in the afternoon, give gifts to villagers if I see them. Check on Community Center bundles.

But inevitably, something triggers my 'IS THIS THE SMART THING TO DO?' panic. Am I selling the right crops? Hell, am I *growing* the right crops? Which building to add on to my farm? Am I giving the villagers the right gifts??

And then I'm off to the wiki to read up on something simple like the Coop, which then spirals into the 20 other things related to that and then I end up feeling completely overwhelmed.

The kicker is that the game seems really forgiving for these things. I've not actually encountered a hard 'you can't get this now because you didn't grow this specific thing at this specific time'. But it's hard to just relax and roll with the punches in this game when so much of it seems only discoverable via wiki.

Tazmin

Neo Member
New - Year 1, Day 18 of Summer. I’ve been hoarding my gold and silver star crops. Should I still keep a hold of them or just sell them?

JakeD

New - Year 1, Day 18 of Summer. I’ve been hoarding my gold and silver star crops. Should I still keep a hold of them or just sell them?

Have you checked out the community center yet?

There’s also a thing in fall where it might be worth holding onto a few (10ish) gold star items. Otherwise, make that $

Mumei

Artisan Goods are generally safe bets for gifts. Almost everybody appreciates some nice, fresh mayo. Honey's a solid gift, too. Pick something that's easy to produce which near everybody likes, then add a "loved" gift for your lover and something to cover the whiners. Everybody except Penny likes Mead (put Honey in a Keg), which is probably the best general purpose gift? Until you can mass-produce Diamonds, anyway.

Items are generally universally liked / neutral / disliked / hated; the exceptions are with the characters rather than the items. So, Mead is universally liked, except for a handful of characters who dislike it for character specific reasons (like being too young, like Vincent or Jas, or having family issues with alcohol, like Penny) or characters who don't just like it, but love it. Or most characters dislike, say, Void Eggs, except for several that love it. You can probably guess who.

Basically, if one character at least likes an item, it's probably a pretty safe bet that most other characters will like it—and you can often guess the exceptions as you get to know the characters.

Zzoram

How do I find out who likes what? They don't mention what they like when you talk to them.

Anyways Alex is my secret Santa, what does he like or how can I find out?

They do sometimes mention what they like. Some of the villagers also tell you what the others like. You also do some trial and error and guesses based on their personality and profession.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Items are generally universally liked / neutral / disliked / hated; the exceptions are with the characters rather than the items. So, Mead is universally liked, except for a handful of characters who dislike it for character specific reasons (like being too young, like Vincent or Jas, or having family issues with alcohol, like Penny) or characters who don't just like it, but love it. Or most characters dislike, say, Void Eggs, except for several that love it. You can probably guess who.

Basically, if one character at least likes an item, it's probably a pretty safe bet that most other characters will like it—and you can often guess the exceptions as you get to know the characters.

jas and vincent actually like mead, despite it being an alcoholic beverage. wasted youth of stardew valley.

Yeah, I was you a week ago. A crash at the end of a pretty good loot day. Disgusted, I decided to stop playing until a patch come out.

Of course, the next day I was playing again. This game is too strong.

Also had my first crash today going to bed Winter 10!

On a side note... this game man, has it's hooks in! 29 hours have gone by in a blink with it and feel that I still have so much left to do.

I completely avoided the pc release as I wasn't a fan of Animal Crossing, and never played Harvest Moon. But it's just the perfect little relaxing game I was looking for. Ideal match for the switch.

i've been through over 10 crashes i'd say and the game still has it's hooks in. felt like quitting each time though. if the game wasn't so good i'd have said "screw this" ages ago. the crashes are really unacceptable.

Yes this. This game has the ability to make you want to play it constantly, but the moment you stop, you just feel like...what the hell was I doing? Was that even fun?

Yep, as soon as I woke up, I was like “I still need to upgrade my hoe before Spring. I still have to go get gold and iron for my sprinklers. Gotta upgrade my axe to cut down those logs! Who cares about the crash, going back in!”

27 Winter now and Penny almost loves me, got the Minecarts running after realizing I have everything I need, have the layout for Spring ready, and almost died in the Skull Caverns!

Just reached 31+ hrs

Any item you lost to a crash should be there again if you repeat the day exactly. (Meaning, the random hoeable worm spots should be where they were. Not sure about mines but I would guess it’s the same) At least that’s how it’s been for me

I was wondering what those little worms were. Have found 8 books for the library so far now!

StrmSrg

Neo Member
Welp, it finally happened. I got my first game crash in the middle of autumn right when I went to bed, and on a day where I caught one of those rainbow sea cucumbers. I literally yelled out in frustration when it happened.

Don't know if my will power is gonna hold up, but I'm gonna try and wait for the patch and maybe finish Steam World Dig in the meanwhile.

BSpot

Ok. I have a silo. I have a barn. I have some cows. How do
I fill the barn with hay? I mean, like, what actions do I do? The silo is full of hay. Do I interact with the silo somehow to hold hay in my backpack or something? I can’t figure this out...

Makonero

Ok. I have a silo. I have a barn. I have some cows. How do
I fill the barn with hay? I mean, like, what actions do I do? The silo is full of hay. Do I interact with the silo somehow to hold hay in my backpack or something? I can’t figure this out...

There's a hay dispenser in the barn that comes directly from the silo. Go up to it (in the barn) and press Y to get your hay and then put it in the four spots.

Also you can let the cows eat the grass instead so you don't deplete your hay.

BSpot

There's a hay dispenser in the barn that comes directly from the silo. Go up to it (in the barn) and press Y to get your hay and then put it in the four spots.

Also you can let the cows eat the grass instead so you don't deplete your hay.
Thanks. Maybe I missed where to interact. And it’s been raining the last 2 days which is why I cared about hay vs grass.

Thanks

Neku89

I've passed the 80 hour mark (end of Year 2) and, while I've been completely enamored with the game until now, I must admit it's beginning to feel like the one-man project it really is. Massive amounts of (non-gamebreaking) bugs notwithstanding, some areas feel like they lack a proper function or balancing:

- almost no one notices that you've married. I married Penny and aside from her mother, no one even mentions anything about it (not even Jas and Vincent who spend a lot of time with her!). On a related note, I can't seem to figure out why the spouse's hearts change so fast: often I have 12 hearts on evening (daily cuddles, weekly Diamond gifts) and 10 hearts the following morning, without having given anything to other bachelor/bachelorettes that day.

- some skills requirements are bizarre... I mean, I spent three in-game months mining everything in my path only to see my Mining skill go up from 8 to 9. I decided to look up on the internet (something which I've tried to avoid so far) and... lo and behold, breaking regular rocks inside the mine doesn't contribute to your skill. In other words, mining inside a mine doesn't increase your Mining skill. :/

- animal balance is non-existent. Chickens are way more profitable than anything else that goes in a coop, and the same could be said for pigs in barns especially if you have chosen the double forage profession. (On a related note, some professions seem useless, but I cannot say for sure since this is my first playthrough.)

These are the main gripes I have with the game, but on the other hand I must repeat myself and say that these 80 hours have been some of the finest I have ever spent in gaming. Props to ConcernedApe.

Kangi

- almost no one notices that you've married. I married Penny and aside from her mother, no one even mentions anything about it (not even Jas and Vincent who spend a lot of time with her!). On a related note, I can't seem to figure out why the spouse's hearts change so fast: often I have 12 hearts on evening (daily cuddles, weekly Diamond gifts) and 10 hearts the following morning, without having given anything to other bachelor/bachelorettes that day.
If you raise your hearts with Vincent he will actually start mentioning how he wants to grow up and marry Miss Penny one day, even if you already married her.

I hope when I marry Sam, Jodi will stop acting so very put-upon.

- animal balance is non-existent. Chickens are way more profitable than anything else that goes in a coop, and the same could be said for pigs in barns especially if you have chosen the double forage profession. (On a related note, some professions seem useless, but I cannot say for sure since this is my first playthrough.)

To be fair, pigs are useless in the winter. Agreed on professions; the worst is when you wind up picking a good level 5 ability that turns into awful level 10 abilities.
Miner
and
Rancher
stand out here, if only for the strength of the
Gemologist
and
Artisan
perks the other choice winds up offering.

So, this is the radius of scarecrow. So much for limited radius

If true, I’m wasting some space lol

To be fair, pigs are useless in the winter. Agreed on professions; the worst is when you wind up picking a good level 5 ability that turns into awful level 10 abilities.
Miner
and
Rancher
stand out here, if only for the strength of the
Gemologist
and
Artisan
perks the other choice winds up offering.

Well crap. I picked one of those. Now I feel like starting a new farm. Only halfway through year 1 tho.

Pro tip for latest page:

Crash bug seems to have 2 triggers, either turning in a tool for Clint to upgrade or having empty spaces between items in your refrigerator inventory. If you get a crash, those are the things to try. Sort the refrigerator inventory and/or don't upgrade a tool.

Omg. I just tried the fridge thing and it worked for me!!!! Thank you so much! I can lay down and play again. Now I have two farms, one on pc and one on switch!

Blues1990

So, are some fish are tied to a specific season or something? Different bait? The fish stuff is the last thing I need to complete, but most of the fish I have caught can’t even be registered.

Brakke

Banned
So, are some fish are tied to a specific season or something? Different bait? The fish stuff is the last thing I need to complete, but most of the fish I have caught can’t even be registered.

Different fishing spots (river, mountain lake, ocean), different seasons, different times of day, and different weather too.

“Livin’ off the land” TV show is good about telling you what’s up with fish at the start of a season if you’re paying attention.

Mistle

All I need is a damn Walleye and Fiddlehead Fern to complete the community centre. No idea where they are :( (don't tell me :p)

Brakke

Banned
Fiddlehead Fern was the last thing I got. Had everything else done for a full month before I got one. It only shows up in
Summer
season.

I am about three hours in and haven’t done anything really yet. I like it but I feel a little overwhelmed now. It’s like: wake up, water stuff, collect money, clean up, time for bed.

Blues1990

Different fishing spots (river, mountain lake, ocean), different seasons, different times of day, and different weather too.

“Livin’ off the land” TV show is good about telling you what’s up with fish at the start of a season if you’re paying attention.

I usually tune in to that television show before going off to do farm stuff, but I'll pay closer attention to the fish stuff. Thanks. :>

What are you all doing during winter?

I save the Winter to go spelunking in the caverns.

Naar

Im a few days into year 2 and feel overwhelmed because i had good profits in year 1 and as soon year 2 started i made a massive farm, but now it takes me half a day to water it and cant really do much else.

I'm gonna upgrade my watering can to lvl 3 and see if that helps

Ventara

Im a few days into year 2 and feel overwhelmed because i had good profits in year 1 and as soon year 2 started i made a massive farm, but now it takes me half a day to water it and cant really do much else.

I'm gonna upgrade my watering can to lvl 3 and see if that helps

Definitely will, but look into making the tier 2 sprinklers as well. IIRC, it's only a gold, iron and a quartz bar to make one, which should be easy unless you've ignored the mines.

Naar

Definitely will, but look into making the tier 2 sprinklers as well. IIRC, it's only a gold, iron and a quartz bar to make one, which should be easy unless you've ignored the mines.

I dont have gold ores though and im lvl 75 in mines

Top Bottom