• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hans Gruber "Shoot the glass."

Status
Not open for further replies.
what about when he enters the party room, gives his speech while looking at his small book and then closes it? He totally looks like a evil preacher, love that scene. Rickman's faces are also priceless

youta said:
"You are nothing but a common thief"

"I am an exceptional thief!"

It always bothered me a bit that Hans had to shout "shoot the glass" in
English after he said it first in German... wouldn't it make more sense the
other way around?

Bothered me too. In fact, I assumed that's what this thread was going to be about.

Way too little Sense and Sensibility love in this thread, IMHO. He's awesome in that as well.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
80's action movies had the best villains. You just don't get classics like Hans Gruber or Clarence Boddicker anymore.

Sinatar said:
80's action movies had the best villains. You just don't get classics like Hans Gruber or Clarence Boddicker anymore.

Brain bug gave a convincing performance.

brainbug100.jpg

Ignatz Mouse said:
Bothered me too. In fact, I assumed that's what this thread was going to be about.

Way too little Sense and Sensibility love in this thread, IMHO. He's awesome in that as well.

I don't remember but was the guy even German? I thought they were mainly a German organization but had international members - like the Black American hacker.

shuri

Banned
Die Hard 4 was so awful; I don't even consider it as part of the die hard franchise.. It felt like fanfiction

Solo

zaccheus said:
thought it was kind of wierd that they got a british actor to play a german terrorist, i mean he still sounded british.. but i loved the movie oh so much

I see your British Alan Rickman playing a British-sounding German in Die Hard, and raise you a Scottish Sean Connery playing a Scottish-sounding Russian in The Hunt For Red October! Both John McTiernan movies, no less. Coincidence?

Solo

Rickman is one of those actors who is great in everything. I cant think of a single phoned-in performance from him. Most recently I loved him in Sweeney Todd.

He also does one of the best guest voices on King of The Hill.

e7gq52.png

"If her arms worked as hard as her serpent's tongue, there would be nary a speck of dust in the kingdom!"

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
chubigans said:
Wait, I didn't know this. I want the story!
Pretty sure they intentionally let go of him sooner than they told him they would.

Roi said:

"Wait a minute. Robin Hood steals money from my pocket, forcing me to hurt the public, and they love him for it? Well that's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and cancel Christmas!"

JdFoX187

Banned
Alan Rickman is God in that movie. Absolutely loved it. Might have to go home and watch these tonight thanks to this thread.

tomjr

Does anyone here speak German? I thought I saw somewhere, maybe AMC popup video, that they weren't speaking German.

Yeah, Hans shouting "Shoot the glass" was there for the English speaking audience. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

mollipen

Man, reading this thread makes me want to go watch Die Hard again. I can hear the voice of Hans saying all of the lines perfectly in my head.

Honestly, one of my favorite good guy / bad guy pairings out there.

youta said:
It always bothered me a bit that Hans had to shout "shoot the glass" in
English after he said it first in German... wouldn't it make more sense the
other way around?

It bothers me too. It didnt make sense.

Red Scarlet

Anasui Kishibe said:
what about when he enters the party room, gives his speech while looking at his small book and then closes it? He totally looks like a evil preacher, love that scene. Rickman's faces are also priceless

hanspreacher.gif

Doh, anasui got banned. :(

Frenck

Banned
tomjr said:
Does anyone here speak German? I thought I saw somewhere, maybe AMC popup video, that they weren't speaking German.

Yeah, Hans shouting "Shoot the glass" was there for the English speaking audience. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

Some of it is German and some is just made up angry sounding stuff :lol

You guys should see how creative we can be when we have to dub English movies where someone speaks German :lol

Obviously everyone in the movie already speaks German and it's a bit silly if none of them can understand proper German when they hear it. An example from Band of Brothers:

In the episode where Easy Company found the concentration camp one of the soldiers had to interpret as his superior asked a prisoner some questions. The problem is that in the German dub everyone speaks German the whole time. They were pretty clever about it and made the answers of the prisoner very vague, the interpreter didn't interpret anymore but he elaborated on what the prisoner could mean or the consequences of his revelations.

Most of the time we just change the nationality though. Hans Gruber is Jack Gruber here and the weird German couple from Malcom in the Middle are Danes in the German dub :lol

woeds

Frenck said:
Some of it is German and some is just made up angry sounding stuff :lol

You guys should see how creative we can be when we have to dub English movies where someone speaks German :lol

Obviously everyone in the movie already speaks German and it's a bit silly if none of them can understand proper German when they hear it. An example from Band of Brothers:

In the episode where Easy Company found the concentration camp one of the soldiers had to interpret as his superior asked a prisoner some questions. The problem is that in the German dub everyone speaks German the whole time. They were pretty clever about it and made the answers of the prisoner very vague, the interpreter didn't interpret anymore but he elaborated on what the prisoner could mean or the consequences of his revelations.

Most of the time we just change the nationality though. Hans Gruber is Jack Gruber here and the weird German couple from Malcom in the Middle are Danes in the German dub :lol
Geez, why go through all that trouble? Just subtitle it and get rid of the dubbing.

tomjr

Hans Gruber was one of the best euro-villians. Although I did like John Lithgow in Cliffhanger.

"Yew stewpid bahstud."

Alan Rickman was good in Quigley Down Under too (from what I remember).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My interpretation of "shoot the glass" german -> english in the movie was that Karl looks at him confused when Rickman says it in german, either cause he didnt understand him or because he doesnt know that McClane isnt wearing shoes, then rickman gets frustrated and says shoot the glass in english.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
He also does one of the best guest voices on King of The Hill.

e7gq52.png

"If her arms worked as hard as her serpent's tongue, there would be nary a speck of dust in the kingdom!"
Great episode. Most GAF hates king of the hill though.

GhostSeed said:
Alexander Godunov (aka: Karl) the worlds most badass ballet dancer.

ru0ivo.jpg
When Alexander Godunov first met Jacqueline Bisset, with whom he would have a long relationship, he asked her what color her lips were. "You're looking right at me." "I wasn't talking about those lips."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom