• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently color glasses are a scam

Spyxos

Gold Member
I wanted to buy my stepfather these color blind glasses for Christmas. This video has surfaced and apparently these glasses don't work at all. I can see normally so I can't judge it. But these promotional videos with actors? looked real to me. and I didn't question them at all. Seems like a dodged a bullet.

6,6 million views

11 million views

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've seen those videos in the past and they're very affecting.

I'm not colorblind either, but if I was, I might be convinced that I'm missing out on something dramatic that could be fixed relatively easily. What a shitty thing for them to have done.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

I was going to buy a pair about a decade back when I first heard about them.
I did a bit of research and heard the same thing.

Fucking huge let down.
I can't remember the site but it didn't even have a selection of what type of color blindness you had for what pair.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Wow. How can these companies continue selling bogus glasses for years and not get shut down?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Wow. How can these companies continue selling bogus glasses for years and not get shut down?
Looking on the website of one of the companies they do offer a 60 day guarantee, but they also say it takes 6 months for the full benefit to become clear.

Really shady. I bet when you start a refund request they ask you if you've been following their instructions for slowly increasing wear time, and that after 2 months the improvement can be subtle, etc.

They cite various scientific organizations that you likely haven't heard of, and a bunch of media organisations, so they seem legitimate.

It likely all ends up, that either You, the customer feel you aren't doing it right, or some people aren't so lucky and because of the money back guarantee, they seem to be honest. So nobody complains.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Oh, I thought this is about the blue lens glasses which are also a scam.
Shouldn't they work? I use the Low Blue Light on my monitor and it is pleasant for the eyes. I also had the glasses for a short time, but unfortunately I lost them when I moved flat.

Kadve

Last edited:

Tams

Fun fact: "Blue light filter" glasses are a scam too. There is no scientific study's that prove that prolonged exposure to Blue light is more harmfull than any other type. Mostly the effect is just placebo.

(edit) Blue light can disrupt your circadian rhythm. But that's not what these glasses are advertised as helping with.

The worst thing is they are forcing this on people who wear glasses now.

I need high end lenses to not end up having jam jars attached to my face. They only offer them with coatings that block blue light. This makes any colour accuracy work or experiences impossible, and gives all edges on white backgrounds a slight yellow halo (especially black ones).

I complained and protested that that wasn't acceptable and even immoral, and they just shrugged their shoulders.

I need a new optician.

Top Bottom