• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

MightyKAC

Then Charelquin is in denial because he's explained repeatedly already that splitting the ad hoc userbase for MH portables would likely result in less sales of both. If Capcom loves money it makes more sense to stick to one platform this generation.

This would only happen if the user base sticks with only one platform. In Japan the hardcore handheld gamers (i.e. those most likely to play MH in the first place) own multiple systems and would most likely double dip if there was enough of a difference (FYI Tri and MHP3rd are pretty different).

There's really nothing keeping MH from selling 1mil on the 3DS AND the Vita in Japan at all.

This would only happen if the user base sticks with only one platform. In Japan the hardcore handheld gamers (i.e. those most likely to play MH in the first place) own multiple systems and would most likely double dip if there was enough of a difference (FYI Tri and MHP3rd are pretty different).

There's really nothing keeping MH from selling 1mil on the 3DS AND the Vita in Japan at all.
So, Japanese not only are going to both get the systems and also double-dip, but also are going to take two handhelds with them out? It doesn't sound totally far-fetched to me, at all.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I believe it. I've yet to come across a single Nikkei Trendy prediction that turned out to be wrong.

Or right

MightyKAC

So, Japanese not only are going to get both the systems and double-dip, but also are going to take two handhelds with them out?

You've never been on a train in Japan before have you? I've seen a woman pull out 2 cellphones a DS and a PSP out of her purse while riding to work. Anecdotal I realize but I can honestly see them buying 2 systems to play 2 similar games if they love the series.

And the Japanese LOVE MH.

Takao

Banned
So, Japanese not only are going to both get the systems and also double-dip, but also are going to take two handhelds with them out? It doesn't sound totally far-fetched to me, at all.

You don't think a sizeable amount of the people who purchased a PSP in Japan at one point owned a DS?

hatchx

Banned
It has been discussed to death why porting MH on two handhelds will most probably heart both its sale and appeal with a hard to recover damage

I understand the point that was made, but I'd disagree.

Every 360 and PS3 game have separate online play and separate multiplayer. Why is splitting it on PSV and 3DS really any different?

I like predictions. I remember I used to loved that section back in the EGM days in the 90's. Of course, very few of them ever came true, if any.

it won't be surprising if this happens, because Capcom, you know? but i don't think it's a big win for Vita unless it can regain EXCLUSIVITY of the franchise. remember how much brand loyalty we saw for the games this gen that went multiplatform after being Sony exclusive last gen?

IE, basically none?

Sony still need a massive exclusive for the Japanese market. they still might find one, and they may even have regained exclusivity of the franchise... but a multiplatform Monster Hunter isn't really a good thing for them, if all the big exclusives remain on the 3DS.

tis good for Capcom though, however you slice it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Every 360 and PS3 game have separate online play and separate multiplayer. Why is splitting it on PSV and 3DS really any different?

Online verses local play... totally different scenarios...

weeskwee

Banned
Just came back from the future. This is all true! :)

But i also found out i will get stabbed to death in line for the Vita's midnight launch by a crazed Nintendo fan. Fuuuuuuuu :(

Because the logistics for local WiFi are completely different. You're dependant on far more variables for multiplayer then, so whatever you can do to reduce variables (like having different incompatible platforms) helps you. If MH were thriving in Japan thanks online community it'd a totally different matter and multiplatoform would make sense.

Thoraxes

Oh man, that comments section on the site is hilarious. They're as cynical as us :lol

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it though. A lot of people seem to really want cross-compatibility with the Vita and PS3, so maybe something like that will happen?

Well, if it's ever even true at all, cause it's well, a rumor.

watershed

Banned
I was saying just yesterday that what Sony needs to do is announce a much of big vita games now to drum up interest in the Vita. I hope this rumor/leak is just the beginning.

Any ideas yet on what MH game this is gonna be?

neptunes

Because the logistics for local WiFi are completely different. You're dependant on far more variables for multiplayer then, so whatever you can do to reduce variables (like having different incompatible platforms) helps you. If MH were thriving in Japan thanks online community it'd a totally different matter and multiplatoform would make sense.

I really don't buy that excuse, that same logic can apply to different installments of monster hunter. (is each iteration interoperable?) if not then there's no guarantee that two players have the exact same version of monster hunter to play even if the own the same handheld.

I see both handhelds getting their own Monster Hunter installments, both being unique enough to warrant their own release.

I really don't buy that excuse, that same logic can apply to different installments of monster hunter. (is each iteration interoperable?) if not then there's no guarantee that two players have the exact same version of monster hunter to play even if the own the same handheld.
Sequels tends to groom a base to "move up", the only real danger in that not happening is if the sequel fumbles key components in making that desirable. Like FFXI to FFXIV for example.

Takao

Banned
You don't believe this rumor? In order for this not to be true I think Nintendo would have to have bought complete exclusivity of the franchise.

Even if it does happen I'm not convinced there will be a sizeable audience who'll buy a Vita to play MH when they have a 3DS and their own MH titles.

You don't think a sizeable amount of the people who purchased a PSP in Japan at one point owned a DS?
The point is not only in owning both consoles, but is you and your friends having both of them all the time, AND having bought both the versions as well.
The situation with MH is different almost solely because it is a 'local multiplayer' game in contrast to being single player, or online focused.

You've never been on a train in Japan before have you? I've seen a woman pull out 2 cellphones a DS and a PSP out of her purse while riding to work. Anecdotal I realize but I can honestly see them buying 2 systems to play 2 similar games if they love the series.

And the Japanese LOVE MH.
I didn't say there is no single person... I also believe those persons can be interested in owning two systems for various reasons other than double dipping.

hatchx

Banned

I didn't realize the local play was so popular in Japan.

I would assume MH3G is the last MonHun to NOT have online play. Am I foolish for that assumption? If MonHun 4 has wifi, is it really going to hurt sales if it goes multiplatform?

FoneBone

If MonHun 4 has wifi, is it really going to hurt sales if it goes multiplatform?
Yes. Local play is still what's going to drive the series for the foreseeable future. Maybe it could transition to being online-driven, but not as soon as MH4.

And if there is an MH game on Vita, it won't be MH4... keeping two separate series going on 3DS and Vita would make far more sense than a bona fide multiplatform game (which would really split the userbase).

I didn't realize the local play was so popular in Japan.

I would assume MH3G is the last MonHun to NOT have online play. Am I foolish for that assumption? If MonHun 4 has wifi, is it really going to hurt sales if it goes multiplatform?

It'd depend on what Japan's online uptake would be. MH4 could be local only again and it wouldn't negatively impact it in Japan though, the problem is elsewhere.

Alrus

A 4 million selling game in Japan isn't targeted at "the hardcore players". Monster Hunter is very mainstream.

test_account

XP-39C²
For me, a Monster Hunter game for the Vita will be just as surprising as a 3DS redesign. In other words, not very surprising.

The Nikkei Trendy report on 3DS redesign is being debunked hard in the other thread and you guys thought it was a good idea to split this bit of information for a new thread for people who don't read threads and only thread titles/OP? Good job, mods.

1. Nikkei Trendy =/= Nikkei, no record of credibility.
2. Speculation =/= rumor.
Was it debunked? I thought it was just misreading/mistranslation, that the article said that the 3DS redesign was just an opinion. Is that the case with this MH stuff?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Was it debunked? I thought it was just misreading/mistranslation, that the article said that the 3DS redesign was just an opinion. Is that the case with this MH stuff?

It's not a rumor. It's just a prediction made by the editor.

It holds no weight whatsoever.

The piece on Nikkei trendy was apparently a prediction for the year, not a substantiated rumour... So yes, its being debunked. Their predictions could ring true, but then so could anyone's here.

duckroll

The 3DS Lite thing is definitely just a forecast by the editorial team. The MH Vita thing specifically says that there is an "industry source" backing back the prediction by the editorial team. That certainly falls under "rumor", so I'm leaving this thread open.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's not a rumor. It's just a prediction made by the editor.

It holds no weight whatsoever.
So both the 3DS redesign and the MH Vita game is just predictions by the editor? Or was it just the 3DS stuff?

The 3DS Lite thing is definitely just a forecast by the editorial team. The MH Vita thing specifically says that there is an "industry source" backing back the prediction by the editorial team. That certainly falls under "rumor", so I'm leaving this thread open.
Ah ok.

Gravijah

iiiinteresting. now we wait and find out what it is.

tri-g with online, of course~

duckroll

I just want to add that I'm not supporting the rumor. I think it's bullshit personally. But that's not a good reason to close the thread when it's a totally valid rumor from a random tech magazine that doesn't generally cover games. People can believe whatever they want to. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

The warning stating that these are speculation include "game release dates" specifically.
4bc9b7d3.jpg

muu

The way the statement is formed it's the "inside source" being quoted as predicting that "MH Vita will definitely come out this year." It's still nothing more than speculation, just that both the editors and their source is saying the same thing.

duckroll

The way the statement is formed it's the "inside source" being quoted as predicting that "MH Vita will definitely come out this year." It's still nothing more than speculation, just that both the editors and their source is saying the same thing.

That's what you call a rumor.

A 4 million selling game in Japan isn't targeted at "the hardcore players". Monster Hunter is very mainstream.

Sure, but still quite limited to a specific userbase rather than the wide audience that bought other 4-million sellers as Brain Training or Pokémon.

Top Bottom