• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

Call of Duty seems to be doing fine. Even the Wii one.

Jesus, Call of Duty doesn't rely on ad hoc. Capcom even explicitly stated that if they brought MH3G to the West they'd have to add internet because there isn't big enough of a base here to support the ad hoc play that made it such a phenomenon in Japan. This has already been discussed to death in this very thread.

Luigiv

Call of Duty seems to be doing fine. Even the Wii one.

Local Ad-Hoc Multiplayer and Online Multiplayer are 2 different things altogether.

In Online Multiplayer, the match making is done for you automatically and you're fellow players can be pooled from all around the globe. A split userbase is fine. As long as each version sells well enough, no one should have any sort of regular issues finding other players.

In Local Ad-Hoc, You need to find playmates yourself and from within relatively close proximity to you too. If the user base is split, then trying to organize random match-ups on your public transport commutes (as the Japanese do) becomes a much bigger hassle. Not only do you have to find other players playing the same game, you know have to find them playing it on the same platform too. Depending on the sales, this could lead to many customers getting screwed.

What a wicked twist of fate that would be.

It'd be hilarious. :D

le.phat

Why are people so eager to shoot this rumor down ?
Since this IS a MH thread, shouldn't everyone here be exhalted over the possiblitiy of a monster hunter with 2 sticks, beautiful graphics, and a fully integrated online community where ever you go ? Think about this one then: Monster hunter. trophies. Who in their right mind wouldn't want this ?

Since this IS a MH thread, shouldn't everyone here be exhalted over the possiblitiy of a monster hunter with 2 sticks, beautiful graphics, and a fully integrated online community where ever you go ? Think about this one then: Monster hunter. trophies. Who in their right mind wouldn't want this ?
Why would someone want something that in the end will not benefit the series? (I don't care much about moving to semi-HDness of Vita and 3DS seems to have the upped edge in control options, but trophies will be awesome imho; so I don't see if it will meaningfully improve beside trophies - and we can't be sure if they won't add it to 3DS some point either)

Anyhow, if MH Vita helps the series, why not? However, I believe it will actually hurt it mid-term and long-term, regardless of whether Vita version is in itself improved over 3DS or not. Changing platforms is fine, but being on both of them at once, no.

Luigiv

Well I meant as long as you don't commit suicide or anything. That wouldn't be as hilarious. :(

Seriously though, I doubt Capcom would release a MHD game on the PSV within it's first year. Doesn't really make any marketing sense, since the MHD target demographic (Casual female players and merchandise fan's who already own a PSP) just isn't going to be amongst the early adopters of a 25,000 yen device. MHD would make much more sense for for 3DS this early in the generation, to be perfectly honest.

It's certainly possible to achieve this same effect by releasing completely different titles on each platform, the question is just why. Putting the franchise on 3DS in the first place, and announcing two games at once, suggests something about Capcom: that they want to keep development costs for the franchise down and concentrate the userbase in one place so they can transfer the enormous, monolithic PSP base to a new system. The way to do that is to send very clear messages about what system people need to own to play the games -- which they've done, and which has been a significant factor in the 3DS' revival. Now that they've done that, what would be the benefit of a Vita release? It'd cost way more to develop and sell way fewer copies.

As Ignis Fatuus helpfully posted for me already, going multiplatform is likely to damage the franchise and reduce overall sales going forward. If they love money, the smart choice is to pick the viable platform with the lowest dev costs, immediately signal that it's the new home of Monhan, and start aggressively building a fanbase there ASAP -- which is exactly what they've done by announcing two MH games for 3DS.

Capcom has a reputation for constantly engaging in outright illogical platform choice, but it mostly comes from them wriggling out from under their ill-advised GameCube support last generation. "It's Capcom" is a dumb reason to give for why they'll do something that doesn't make sense -- it was dumb when people used it to argue for stuff like SSF4 Wii or Mega Man Powered Up XBLA or whatever and it's dumb here.

Putting it on the 3DS in the first place was extremely illogical. The series has already gone multiplatform. The damage on the franchise and declining in overall sales that you suggest would already be taking place with MH3G.

Capcom went from selling another 4+ million copies of a "MHP3G" on PSP to hoping to sell 2 million copies of MH3G on 3DS. Of course there were Nintendo's moneyhatz in play, which must have been enough to cover those lost sales for Capcom.

Going by what you were saying and suggesting, they should have kept the series on PSP for the foreseeable future. I'm sure they would have if outside factors didn't influence their decisions.

Sony absolutely, positively NEEDS to moneyhat a huge Japanese franchise as they have none right now for Vita. Final Fantasy X remake is not it, the series is declining and will probably do better on PS3, they do not have DQ on it, Persona 4 remake is not it either and Persona is not a huge franchise. Monster Hunter, as mediocre of a series as it is, is a major seller in Japan for some reason and that's the game Sony needs on Vita, much more so than Nintendo. Sony does not have a Mario Kart, SMB, or Pokemon; and at 25000Y it won't sell without major system selling games.

Capcom has proven that, if the moneyhat is large enough, they will take it. It's just a matter of Kaz Hirai or Shuhei Yoshida wanting to write that large check.

Capcom went from selling another 4+ million copies of a "MHP3G" on PSP to hoping to sell 2 million copies of MH3G on 3DS.

MH3G is a means of starting the userbase transfer early in preparation of MH4. It's not meant to do MHP3 numbers and never was; Capcom's own projections demonstrate this. They couldn't keep the franchise on PSP forever which is why Capcom is now working on moving the fans to 3DS.

MH3G is a means of starting the userbase transfer early in preparation of MH4. It's not meant to do MHP3 numbers and never was; Capcom's own projections demonstrate this. They couldn't keep the franchise on PSP forever which is why Capcom is now working on moving the fans to 3DS.
I wonder how it would sell on a console that sold less than it's predecessor on its second week ... It's pretty obvious if there was going to be a MH not on 3DS, it should have been on PSP and not PSV.

For Capcom's bottom line, it would be better to release on PSP than on 3DS as 2+ million extra sales cannot be ignored. Make no mistake about it, the franchise moved to 3DS thanks to Nintendo's aggressive and smart business approach. It's not about keeping the franchise on PSP forever, it's about releasing a game on PSP while the platform is still very relevant in its territory and would undoubtedly ensure high sales for another MH game on it.

It is not Capcom's responsibility to ensure 3DS' or Vita's success; or even to move MH fans from PSP to those platforms. That's Nintendo and Sony's responsibility respectively, and Nintendo is doing something about it.

For Capcom's bottom line, it would be better to release on PSP than on 3DS as 2+ million extra sales cannot be ignored. Make no mistake about it, the franchise moved to 3DS thanks to Nintendo's aggressive and smart business approach. It's not about keeping the franchise on PSP forever, it's about releasing a game on PSP while the platform is still very relevant in its territory and would undoubtedly ensure high sales for another MH game on it.

It is not Capcom's responsibility to ensure 3DS' or Vita's success; or even to move MH fans from PSP to those platforms. That's Nintendo and Sony's responsibility respectively, and Nintendo is doing something about it.
The point is, it doesn't matter when you start switching platforms, it is almost a sure thing that the first game on the new platform will not sell as much as its predecessor.

That is, it is true if 3G was released on PSP it could sell more, probably around 3m; however, that would mean MH4 on 3DS wouldn't sell as much as it is going to sell now:
Higher 3G(PSP) + Lower MH4(3DS) ~= Lower 3G(3DS) + Higher MH4(3DS)

It also gave them the opportunity to test 3DS viability as a MH platform with a much less major game than MH4. There are very strong reasons why it was a better business move to release 3G on 3DS rather than PSP.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Said it before , will say it again- even if MH comes to Vita i'll be playing it with the claw because i want to be able to use my thumb on the right hand side and not -the claw- finger on that side to flick through items.

I need to be able to look at the monster, move around the monster in close proximity and ready a new set of items - maybe even be creating new items on the fly.

One MASSIVE thing that playing MH3rdP on the Vita has taught me : the start button is way too small and a pain to hit (needed to bring up the menu system for item creation)

MH3G is a means of starting the userbase transfer early in preparation of MH4

and splitting out MH4 and 4th would be a perfect way to give the two games completely different identities, giving two tranches that will appeal to the hardcore fans, and will give owners of both machines a chance to play Monster Hunter.

Kyon

Banned
^^ splitting the future games in multiple platforms is a bad idea considering the adhoc/local play situation. But yeah keeping the Portable and other half of the series different might work

EDIT: i basically repeated what you said :lol

They could want to support monster hunter on multiple platforms to prevent rival games from gaining popularity.

Exactly.

I just read that Gameloft sells over 50 Million games a year on iOS and Android, and over 80% of their products are complete rips on other publishers' games.

MH Ripoffs were already gaining ground on the PSP and even PC. Not having one on the Vita, which is probably seen more as the MH successor console than 3DS, would leave a huge hole I'm sure SquareEnix, Sega, or Namco would be willing to fill with their clones that were already successful on the PSP

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

We already have a portable MH playable with two sticks, we also know the next chapter in the series will! In facr we know that those version will have the best controls possible on a portable since it also sports TWO shoulder buttons, shouldn't that EXCITE you more then?!
MonHun3G has beautiful gfx! MH4 seems even better!
We could have had online in 3G and we didn't get it, so having a Vita version wouldn't magically add online.

As for trophies, I guess that could excite11!! trophy lovers so yeah that'd be nice for you guys. But probably people are more excited at the prospect of having a chance to play a fully localized version again thanks to Nintendo, more than importing a japanese MonHun meant only for aficionados.

People who care for the franchise first and foremost want to see the main entries succed and they believe splitting the userbase will only harm it in the end.
People who absolutely want MH on Vita hailing its supposed superiority and playing the waiting game are the same people who wouldn't touch MH Tri with a stick, ie they don't really care that much for the series.
Nothing wrong with wanting another good game available for their platform of choice, just don't try to make it look like it's something else

Raide

All they need to do is make a Multi-platform Monster Hunter game and everyone uses the same servers. Since the game does no focus around competitive play, you could easily mix VITA, 3DS, 360, PS3 and Wii-U owners. Even with the difference in graphics, it would still play the same on each format.

I know it will never happen...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why would someone want something that in the end will not benefit the series? (I don't care much about moving to semi-HDness of Vita and 3DS seems to have the upped edge in control options, but trophies will be awesome imho; so I don't see if it will meaningfully improve beside trophies - and we can't be sure if they won't add it to 3DS some point either)

Anyhow, if MH Vita helps the series, why not? However, I believe it will actually hurt it mid-term and long-term, regardless of whether Vita version is in itself improved over 3DS or not. Changing platforms is fine, but being on both of them at once, no.

You talk about 'damaging the series', yet you have no issue with capcom moving the portable version to an entirely new platform? You don't think vita would have made the most sense from a continuity pov?

Surely having it on two platforms (where one of those is the successor to where your previous games were) is less damaging? New gamers can choose which platform to buy for, and those with existing psp games don't get forced to buy a new machine that won't play their old games

Kyon

Banned
All they need to do is make a Multi-platform Monster Hunter game and everyone uses the same servers. Since the game does no focus around competitive play, you could easily mix VITA, 3DS, 360, PS3 and Wii-U owners. Even with the difference in graphics, it would still play the same on each format.

I know it will never happen...
Because you are looking at a strategy that would work in the western region which this game isn't catered to. Keeping it on portables is the best idea.

DCharlie

People who care for the franchise first and foremost want to see the main entries succed and they believe splitting the userbase will only harm it in the end.
People who absolutely want MH on Vita hailing its supposed superiority and playing the waiting game are the same people who wouldn't touch MH Tri with a stick, ie they don't really care that much for the series.
Nothing wrong with wanting another good game available for their platform of choice, just don't try to make it look like it's something else

Now sir, that's a hell of a lot of assumption in one post!

In facr we know that those version will have the best controls possible on a portable since it also sports TWO shoulder buttons

please explain how having two shoulder (i assume you mean three total?) buttons solves any of the existing issues with Monster Hunter? I mean - i'm playing without Frankenflap so i have no idea what those buttons map to - so i'm curious as to which of the control issues it solves.

Dash Kappei

Said it before , will say it again- even if MH comes to Vita i'll be playing it with the claw because i want to be able to use my thumb on the right hand side and not -the claw- finger on that side to flick through items.

I need to be able to look at the monster, move around the monster in close proximity and ready a new set of items - maybe even be creating new items on the fly.

One MASSIVE thing that playing MH3rdP on the Vita has taught me : the start button is way too small and a pain to hit (needed to bring up the menu system for item creation)

and splitting out MH4 and 4th would be a perfect way to give the two games completely different identities, giving two tranches that will appeal to the hardcore fans, and will give owners of both machines a chance to play Monster Hunter.

I honestly can't understand for the life of me why the hell they fucked up the Start button so bad in the
Vita? Was there a virus running to make the worst possible buttons on next gen's handhelds? 'Cause the worst offender is easily the 3DS and its awfully placed/carved/shaped/useless Select and Start buttons, go try to play some GBA's ambassador games like LoZ:Minish Cap, shit's infuriating. What the fuck were they thinking, straight out botching the possibility to ever use them in a game efficiently. One of the main reasons I'll jump on a 3DS revision if they fix those (they've got to, ffs).

Putting it on the 3DS in the first place was extremely illogical. The series has already gone multiplatform. The damage on the franchise and declining in overall sales that you suggest would already be taking place with MH3G.

Err... whut? 3DS is a brand new platform. Monster Hunter is transferring to a new system because the generation is over and they need to start moving to the fanbase to one of the systems that's still being supported.

Seriously, I don't understand why people think this is even a point:

Capcom went from selling another 4+ million copies of a "MHP3G" on PSP to hoping to sell 2 million copies of MH3G on 3DS.

Because the goal is to migrate the fanbase so they'll all be in place for MH4 (which will release at a time when the PSP will be in decline.) The entire reason it's Tri G instead of MH4 (or even MHP3G) right off the bat is to build up a fanbase with something besides the biggest event (i.e. new main numbered release), the same way SE does with DQ spinoffs at the start of a new gen.

Of course there were Nintendo's moneyhatz in play

Capcom seems to have approached Nintendo, not the other way around. There are no "lost sales" here, only an investment in the franchise's future.

Sony absolutely, positively NEEDS to moneyhat a huge Japanese franchise as they have none right now for Vita.

Moneyhats aren't magic (as Microsoft certainly discovered in trying to deal with the Japanese market.) They can't really convince third-parties to do things they never would do otherwise; mostly they work to tip publishers over from considering something to committing to it.

There is literally no franchise up for the taking in Japan that Sony can acquire for Vita just by paying out cash -- that's exactly the problem they have to overcome with the system, and something many of us were pointing out would be challenging even before the Vita announcement. Monster Hunter is pretty well situated now. FF entries will come but the mainline games will always stay on consoles. DQ is 100% locked up on Nintendo systems for now. KH could do a Vita project but not anytime soon. What else is even out there, that already exists, that would be on its own a major selling point for the system?

(This is why I've been saying Sony needs to focus on getting a lot of niche development by aggressively targeting smaller devs and pubs -- they have a much better chance of making the system desirable through diversity of library than through having big, must-have exclusives.)

You talk about 'damaging the series', yet you have no issue with capcom moving the portable version to an entirely new platform? You don't think vita would have made the most sense from a continuity pov?

Continuity is really kind of irrelevant. At the time they announced this, nobody even owned a Vita yet -- so there was no audience of people getting "burned" because they "expected" MH to be a Vita-exclusive franchise -- and everyone who wants to play the latest MH needs to buy a brand-new system either way. Capcom's brand is more relevant to people than what previous console(s) they own in making a buying decision, so they really had a huge amount of leeway to pick either handheld system (as best fit their other business reasoning) and rebuild the audience there.

Dash Kappei

Now sir, that's a hell of a lot of assumption in one post!

please explain how having two shoulder (i assume you mean three total?) buttons solves any of the existing issues with Monster Hunter? I mean - i'm playing without Frankenflap so i have no idea what those buttons map to - so i'm curious as to which of the control issues it solves.

I see no reply there, so I dunno what I'm supposed to say. If you think those are all baseless assumptions maybe you should re-read MonHun Wii and MonHun 3DS threads more carefully, that probably explains your 800k "prediction" tho.

I was replying to le.phat who was in disbelief at people being (supposedly) not excited as he was for a MH game playable with 2 analogs, so I was just making him aware of why that might be: 'cause the 3DS versions have those already, and then some. There's no problem to be fixed per se, some people vastly prefer to play with the claw even if a second stick is available, and there doesn't need to be a game-breaking one: it's a matter of choice.

I see no reply there, so I dunno what I'm supposed to say. If you think those are all baseless assumptions maybe you should re-read MonHun Wii and MonHun 3DS threads more carefully, that probably explains your 800k "prediction" tho.

I was replying to le.phat who was in disbelief at people being (supposedly) not excited as he was for a MH game playable with 2 analogs, so I was just making him aware of why that might be: 'cause the 3DS versions have those already, and then some. There's no problem to be fixed per se, some people vastly prefer to play with the claw even if a second stick is available, and there doesn't need to be a game-breaking one: it's a matter of choice.

You don't even need to use the claw in the 3DS version...it's got touch camera controls...

DCharlie

see no reply there, so I dunno what I'm supposed to say. If you think those are all baseless assumptions maybe you should re-read MonHun Wii and MonHun 3DS threads more carefully, that probably explains your 800k "prediction" tho.

my 800k prediction has nothing to do with any feelings towards the 3DS or the series, my post history backs up how i feel about both those items.

No - i'm genuinely curious if the second shoulder button actually maps to something like "menu". I've not bought the frankenstick because i'm fairly happy with how MH plays without it , so i was curious if there is a secondary advantage beyond the second stick.

Personally - 2 analogues is absolutely nothing to be excited about for me personally, but i'm happy that both the 3DS and Vita offer some sort of relief for those who do like it (and , i guess for PSV playing PSP gamers, a chance to go back to *almosT* true (albeit fiddled) MH1 controls)

Tenbatsu

You can actually use ZL and ZR to pan the camera.
So you can actually have 4 methods to pan the camera: the dpad, the touch screen, ZL/ZR and the right analog. Overkill I know but it rocks :)

DCharlie

You can actually use ZL and ZR to pan the camera.
So you can actually have 4 methods to pan the camera: the dpad, the touch screen, ZL/ZR and the right analog. Overkill I know but it rocks :)

hell, the more options the better

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DCharlie said:
Surely there could be a dramatically more comfortable way to do this - through back-touch for instance.
I mean I understand the game became a phenomenon with this particular control scheme, so maybe the 5milion would never want to change, but I sincerely doubt it's the most optimal scheme possible on the wealth of control options you get on Vita.

Surely having it on two platforms (where one of those is the successor to where your previous games were) is less damaging? New gamers can choose which platform to buy for, and those with existing psp games don't get forced to buy a new machine that won't play their old games
Not when PSV is almost two times as expensive as 3DS, has much less edge over 3DS compared to PSP vs DS, and at least for now doesn't seem to have a bright future at all, and is getting much less support and games compared to 3DS. It's BC isn't hassle free at all either.

I would say moving MH to PSV, would serve as forcing PSV upon general MH gamers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Not when PSV is almost two times as expensive as 3DS, has much less edge over 3DS compared to PSP vs DS, and at least for now doesn't seem to have a bright future at all, and is getting much less support and games compared to 3DS. It's BC isn't hassle free at all either.

I would say moving MH to PSV, would serve as forcing PSV upon general MH gamers.
What is a hassle with the PSP BC on Vita?

And it is forcing 3DS just as much on MH gamers. It doesnt matter which platform it is as long as you have to buy one specific platform for a game. Not everyone feel the same about a platform, so it will be "forcing" regardless of which platform it is.

Wazzim

Banned
Let's hope it isn't a shitty port or something.

Edit: oh the thread is filled with people who never even touched MH again. Surprising.

I don't see a split of the userbase too drastic tbh. As others have pointed out it could be a way to attract new players for the game and increase its recognition even further.

What strikes me as odd about the rumour is the date (2012H2). That pretty much confirms (for me anyway) that it would not be MH4. But what would a port of MH3G or MHP3HD achieve shortly before MH4 launches on another platform? I'd guess they would want to release MH4 on both systems in relatively timely fashion to maximize the effect.

I also hope this wouldn't ruin the chances of localisation. If we assume Nintendo helps out with bringing the games to the west like they did with Tri, they surely would have secured an exclusivity deal of some sort. If that is indeed not the case we can only hope Capcom will see a release overseas as a viable investment. Going by MHP3, which released on a much more viable platform in terms of userbase as PSV will be in 2012H2 it would at least be uncertain.

Wazzim

Banned
Uhm I think you are forgetting the Portable series and MH Frontier.
It could also be a 'close enough' Pokke Village cat game lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Edit: oh the thread is filled with people who never even touched MH again. Surprising.

So who are posting then? :p

I've only played the demo but I'm aware of the mainline, Freedom, and spinoff series... Hope I still count. :p

What is a hassle with the PSP BC on Vita?
It doesn't support UMDs?

And it is forcing 3DS just as much on MH gamers. It doesnt matter which platform it is as long as you have to buy one specific platform for a game. Not everyone feel the same about a platform, so it will be "forcing" regardless of which platform it is.
Well, of course people would prefer to pay nothing for a new system yet play next MH; but I believe it is obvious why people would want to pay much less and own a system with a much more certain future. Not to mention they will be able to play all the DS games as well.

Defuser

It doesn't support UMDs?

Well, of course people would prefer to pay nothing for a new system yet play next MH; but I believe it is obvious why people would want to pay much less and own a system with a much more certain future. Not to mention they will be able to play all the DS games as well.

Do you really want a UMD drive?

Wazzim

Banned
So who are posting then? :p

I've only played the demo but I'm aware of the mainline, Freedom, and spinoff series... Hope I still count. :p

Previous threads became 'boy wars instead of threads about the games, that's what I was referring to ;p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Previous threads became 'boy wars instead of threads about the games, that's what I was referring to ;p

I know that. :p

There's no denying a MonHan game will eventually come to the Vita, may it be a Freedom game or a Poka Poka game. I just wish nobody hopes for no MonHan game will come to the Vita ever.

Do you really want a UMD drive?
That's the least important issue of PSV; but yes, I prefer to have my disks already lying around than to have to downlnot more than a ' hassle', but yet I wouldn't like to have to download each of them through a verification stage when I feel like playing them. In Japan specially, retail is much more relevant that digital. So maybe unlike me, they would even prefer to buy new games retail as well, instead of digital.

patsu

When Sony surveyed Japanese users' "most wanted" Vita accessories a few months ago. One of the top requests is a UMD drive for Vita.

It will eat into Vita's battery life though.

C_H_T

When Sony surveyed Japanese users' "most wanted" Vita accessories a few months ago. One of the top requests is a UMD drive for Vita.

It will eat into Vita's battery life though.

Release an external UMD-drive with built-in battery pack.

Top Bottom