• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

Luigiv

I don't even get how an attachable UMD drive would even work. Where the hell would you fit it on the device in such a way that;

A) It secure enough and
B) It doesn't get in the way of regular functionality (that includes back touch, btw).

You just can't. There's no space.

Takao

Banned
Release an external UMD-drive with built-in battery pack.

Include third analog stick.

I don't even get how an attachable UMD drive would even work. Where the hell would you fit it on the device in such a wat that;

A) It secure enough and
B) It doesn't get in the way of regular functionality (that includes back touch, btw).

You just can't. There's no space.

Given you're wanting to play PSP games that don't use the back touch simply cover that space up. Want to play a Vita game that uses back touch? You must take the device off. It's that simple.

test_account

XP-39C²
It doesn't support UMDs?
I know, but to me you made it sound like the current PSP emulation on Vita had problems, so was wondering what hassle there is with the PSP BC running on Vita. The PSP BC on Vita is only with digital downloads. The UMD support is non excistant, so that cant really be a hassle then :) You download the PSP games and they run fine from what i have read of impressions.

EDIT: The UMD "transfer" program doesnt really have much to do with BC in that sense. This program is just a way to get a discount on the digital download version of the same game.

Well, of course people would prefer to pay nothing for a new system yet play next MH; but I believe it is obvious why people would want to pay much less and own a system with a much more certain future. Not to mention they will be able to play all the DS games as well.
I didnt mean that they dont want to pay nothing for a new system. I think that it is good that they move on and make games for new systems. What i ment is that everyone arent equally interested in the same system. There are someone that are hardly interested in the 3DS, but that are really interested in the Vita, and vice versa. So if a MH fan have pretty much no interest in the 3DS, then he is "forced" to buy a 3DS. There isnt any difference on this regarding which system it is =)

Luigiv

Given you're wanting to play PSP games that don't use the back touch simply cover that space up. Want to play a Vita game that uses back touch? You must take the device off. It's that useless.

Fixed. If you have to constantly take it off for normal play then no one would use it in the first place. Gamers are lazy.

But yeah, instead of asking for useless things, you guys should have prepared better, like I did. All my PSP games (except for 1) are soft copies. /troll

Takao

Banned
Fixed. If you have to constantly take it off for normal play then no one would use it in the first place. Gamers are lazy.

But yeah, instead of asking for useless things, you guys should have prepared better, like I did. All my PSP games (except for 1) are soft copies. /troll

What do you mean "you guys"? I'm one of the 120 who own a PSP go, so a good chunk of my library is digital. The only ones I have UMDs of are games that I'm a huge fan of, didn't get a PSN release, or are too much money on PSN.

Luigiv

What do you mean "you guys"? I'm one of the 120 who own a PSP go, so a good chunk of my library is digital. The only ones I have UMDs of are games that I'm a huge fan of, didn't get a PSN release, or are too much money on PSN.

Well not you specifically but the guys asking for an attachable UMD drive.

I know, but to me you made it sound like the current PSP emulation on Vita had problems, so was wondering what hassle there is with the PSP BC running on Vita. The PSP BC on Vita is only with digital downloads. The UMD support is non excistant, so that cant really be a hassle then :) You download the PSP games and they run fine from what i have read of impressions.

EDIT: The UMD "transfer" program doesnt really have much to do with BC in that sense. This program is just a way to get a discount on the digital download version of the same game.
huh? I thought it made them completely free in Japan? I don't see people general being interested in PSV for BC purposes at all if this is the case.

I didnt mean that they dont want to pay nothing for a new system. I think that it is good that they move on and make games for new systems. What i ment is that everyone arent equally interested in the same system. There are someone that are hardly interested in the 3DS, but that are really interested in the Vita, and vice versa. So if a MH fan have pretty much no interest in the 3DS, then he is "forced" to buy a 3DS. There isnt any difference on this regarding which system it is =)
Well, yes. But 1. I believe those who are interested in 3DS are much more compared to those in PSV, if simply because 3DS is getting much more games and support, and that it has all the DS library 2. You will be forcing something half-expensive to them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, so backward compatibility is important for people buying new machines, yet continuity isn't important for MH. One or the other please. Yes it's a new generation, but if BC is genuinely important, its because people want to continue to play their catalogue on a new machine.

And whatever happened to 'everything is multiplatform'? It constantly gets quoted as the only way developers can get a good return on their investments. Yet there are posters in this thread saying its better for the franchise to have a clean break, to only be on one platform.

This place can be confusing sometimes

Hmm, so backward compatibility is important for people buying new machines, yet continuity isn't important for MH. One or the other please. Yes it's a new generation, but if BC is genuinely important, its because people want to continue to play their catalogue on a new machine.

And whatever happened to 'everything is multiplatform'? It constantly gets quoted as the only way developers can get a good return on their investments. Yet there are posters in this thread saying its better for the franchise to have a clean break, to only be on one platform.

This place can be confusing sometimes
Well, you brought PSV being backward compatible up yourself, and it seems Vita isn't strong in that point particularly

What happened, was that previous games that got multiplat weren't games this heavily dependent on local community play

test_account

XP-39C²
huh? I thought it made them completely free in Japan? I don't see people general being interested in PSV for BC purposes at all if this is the case.
Not that i know about. Sony doesnt own all the games, so they cant give them away (at least not if there isnt any deal made with the publishers first).

People have already bought many PSP games through the PS Store, and these games works fine on the PS Vita.

Well, yes. But 1. I believe those who are interested in 3DS are much more compared to those in PSV, if simply because 3DS is getting much more games and support, and that it has all the DS library 2. You will be forcing something half-expensive to them.
Well, in the end it is simply a personal preference, that is mostly what i wanted to say =) I have no idea how the consumers in general thinks about this as a whole.

The point is, it doesn't matter when you start switching platforms, it is almost a sure thing that the first game on the new platform will not sell as much as its predecessor.

That is, it is true if 3G was released on PSP it could sell more, probably around 3m; however, that would mean MH4 on 3DS wouldn't sell as much as it is going to sell now:
Higher 3G(PSP) + Lower MH4(3DS) ~= Lower 3G(3DS) + Higher MH4(3DS)

It also gave them the opportunity to test 3DS viability as a MH platform with a much less major game than MH4. There are very strong reasons why it was a better business move to release 3G on 3DS rather than PSP.

For Capcom's bottom line, it absolutely matters when you switch platforms. That's why, before this coming generation, DQ only released after a platform was well established with a healthy userbase. Publishers only care about sales of their games and money in their pockets. As they should. Nintendo moneyhatting Capcom allowed them to release 3G on 3DS, that is a genius move as they now have ALL million seller franchises on their machine.

Your second paragraph is complete conjecture and not necessarily a true statement.

Err... whut? 3DS is a brand new platform. Monster Hunter is transferring to a new system because the generation is over and they need to start moving to the fanbase to one of the systems that's still being supported.

Seriously, I don't understand why people think this is even a point:

Generation is over? That's news to me. We have one 8th generation system that has launched WW and this generation is over? Again, it's Nintendo and Sony's responsibility to ensure their new toys are successful, Nintendo is doing something about it.

Because the goal is to migrate the fanbase so they'll all be in place for MH4 (which will release at a time when the PSP will be in decline.) The entire reason it's Tri G instead of MH4 (or even MHP3G) right off the bat is to build up a fanbase with something besides the biggest event (i.e. new main numbered release), the same way SE does with DQ spinoffs at the start of a new gen.

Capcom's goal is to make as much money as possible, not to hope to migrate a fanbase to a system they make no money on. Everything else being equal, they would have made more money releasing the game on PSP. I don't know how that's even debatable.

Capcom seems to have approached Nintendo, not the other way around. There are no "lost sales" here, only an investment in the franchise's future.

Opinion or fact? Regardless, there are "lost sales" here, 2+ millions lost sales. Maybe you meant there are no "lost revenues" or "lost profits" here due to the incentive by Nintendo. I never claimed that Nintendo's investment was bad or mean or whatever the hell. Quite the opposite, it's really smart, aggressive, and forward thinking.

Moneyhats aren't magic (as Microsoft certainly discovered in trying to deal with the Japanese market.) They can't really convince third-parties to do things they never would do otherwise; mostly they work to tip publishers over from considering something to committing to it.

They certainly can. Money talks. I certainly don't think you're naive enough to think that ToV, SO4, and other JRPGs were being considered as 360 (timed) exclusive and the MS talk just made the publishers commit to it. Money makes the world go 'round and in business it's no different, the moneyhat Nintendo gave Capcom is most likely not straight up cash, but marketing deals for the game in the west. Capcom, along with SE, foolishly hopes they can recreate the success of their franchises in the west and seeing that Nintendo has that with most of their franchises, they probably believe and hope they can achieve that by simple marketing from the big N.

There is literally no franchise up for the taking in Japan that Sony can acquire for Vita just by paying out cash -- that's exactly the problem they have to overcome with the system, and something many of us were pointing out would be challenging even before the Vita announcement. Monster Hunter is pretty well situated now. FF entries will come but the mainline games will always stay on consoles. DQ is 100% locked up on Nintendo systems for now. KH could do a Vita project but not anytime soon. What else is even out there, that already exists, that would be on its own a major selling point for the system?

(This is why I've been saying Sony needs to focus on getting a lot of niche development by aggressively targeting smaller devs and pubs -- they have a much better chance of making the system desirable through diversity of library than through having big, must-have exclusives.)

Niche developers are not gonna do anything. They are already situated and very happy on iphone and android. Besides Angry Birds, which is everywhere, there's no real indie system seller.

As far a "franchise up for the taking", Sony doesn't really have a choice, do they? You pretty much make my point for me. All those franchises are on 3DS for the foreseeable future, and unless Sony does something about it, they won't come back. In Japan, that's pretty much a death sentence. Looking at Vita's sales in Japan, I really don't see how you can honestly say that Sony needs indie developers more so than the franchises you mentioned. That's almost a laughable proposition for me in this context, unless you are wanting and hoping the 3DS will succeed and have a monopoly for all the franchises. That's actually perfectly understandable as you would only have to buy one toy for all your gaming needs and, after playing GTAIII on ipad, I'm actually hoping all major franchises I personally care about go to iOS/android.

Continuity is really kind of irrelevant. At the time they announced this, nobody even owned a Vita yet -- so there was no audience of people getting "burned" because they "expected" MH to be a Vita-exclusive franchise -- and everyone who wants to play the latest MH needs to buy a brand-new system either way. Capcom's brand is more relevant to people than what previous console(s) they own in making a buying decision, so they really had a huge amount of leeway to pick either handheld system (as best fit their other business reasoning) and rebuild the audience there.

If all they had to do was pick a new handheld system, you would think they would have waited until the system was up and running with a well established userbase before making the decision. At the time of the announcement, 3DS did not have that and Nintendo was setting up the perfect storm in a perfect manner with a 40% price drop, Mario Kart, SMB, and Monster Hunter.

ElFly

If all they had to do was pick a new handheld system, you would think they would have waited until the system was up and running with a well established userbase before making the decision. At the time of the announcement, 3DS did not have that and Nintendo was setting up the perfect storm in a perfect manner with a 40% price drop, Mario Kart, SMB, and Monster Hunter.

That only works for Yuji Horii and Dragon Quest. Everyone else has to keep pumping out games all the time. And since a game takes like two years to pump out, they have to take their decisions early. Like, even before a platform launches if you want to be on it in the first year.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!

Drek

I don't get why Sony doesn't make use of the Demon's Souls IP and sub a Vita only entry to From Software in that series to replace their reliance on Monster Hunter.

Hell, even if From won't do it now that they've moved on to Dark Souls, construct an internal team at Sony and do it yourself. Its your damn IP and it would be a very good fit to target the same audience.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
People calling for UMD player add on that attaches to the Vita : Sony have released a unit that enables PSP UMD backwards compatability, 100% works - even has it's own (removable!!!) battery and it's own screen - second hand units available for next to nothing to.

.... you don't need me to draw you a picture do you?

(yes, i know - i'm not entirely serious here)

I don't get why Sony doesn't make use of the Demon's Souls IP and sub a Vita only entry to From Software in that series to replace their reliance on Monster Hunter.

Again - here we are at 3 weeks out of launch sniffing dead Vitas. For all we know theres GT-V, Dark Forest, MH-Oasis, Infamous-V, FF11-V, Portal-V, etc etc all lined up ready to go. We simply don't know yet and whilst you have to point at Sony partly for that - they JUST got done with launching the machine -and- with a good software line up.

But yes - hoping that Dark Forest is a Vita game. I'd take a Dark Souls port any day of the millenium though.

Luigiv

Hell, even if From won't do it now that they've moved on to Dark Souls, construct an internal team at Sony and do it yourself. Its your damn IP and it would be a very good fit to target the same audience.

From Software only finished Dark Souls like 6 months ago. Shit would take time dude and that's assuming FS would even agree to the proposal in the first. A once again multiplat Dark Souls 2 would have much more profit potential for them and would be a though contract to pass up.

Handing the project to another team is possible, though it could really backfire on them at the same time. Sony would have to tread carefully with such a move.

And even then. The D___ Souls, whilst popular, aren't exactly encroaching in on MH's domain. The hypothetical game you mention would have to make a lot of changes from the original formula to even have a chance of that. A lot of the essential changes would be considered sacrilegious to existing fans (Such as lightening up the atmosphere considerably and introducing cute mascot characters). MH has a very broad audience in Japan, which includes a lot of casual, elderly and female players who just wouldn't appreciate the Souls games.

C_H_T

From Software only finished Dark Souls like 6 months ago. Shit would take time dude and that's assuming FS would even agree to the proposal in the first. A once again multiplat Dark Souls 2 would have much more profit potential for them and would be a though contract to pass up.

Handing the project to another team is possible, though it could really backfire on them at the same time. Sony would have to tread carefully with such a move.

And even then. The D___ Souls, whilst popular, aren't exactly encroaching in on MH's domain. The hypothetical game you mention would have to make a lot of changes from the original formula to even have a chance of that. A lot of the essential changes would be considered sacrilegious to existing fans (Such as lightening up the atmosphere considerably and introducing cute mascot characters). MH has a very broad audience in Japan, which includes a lot of casual, elderly and female players who just wouldn't appreciate the Souls games.

Just make a (big budget) MH clone, look at God Eater, it has sales of >500k.
They can use Toro as their mascot for their game :)

Alrus

Just make a (more budget) MH clone, look at God Eater, it has sales of >500k.

Yeah but God Eater was on a platform which had all the MH fans, and it released at the right time (MHP3 was still quite far away and MHP2G was out for a while). Other MH clones haven't fared that well (and GE already showed signs of decline with Burst).

And while a 500k+ game is pretty good, Sony really needs game with more potential than that.

BadWolf

How do Demon Souls/Dark Souls sales compare to MH sales prior to the series exploding on PSP?

I think the games have potential to make it big on a handheld.

DCharlie

Sony and games companies have known about Vita for well over a year now - Sony were likely talking to a number of third parties back then and , if they were clever, will have approached From about doing a tailored-for-Vita Souls game which could reuse code and assets from the PS3 version of DS.

Also - not EVERY game has to be the new Monster Hunter. There's no point trying to be the new monster hunter - games need to do their own thing and the games that will "win" this generation (i.e. the break out hits) will -almost certainly- be completely new franchises.

Alrus

How do Demon Souls/Dark Souls sales compare to MH sales prior to the series exploding on PSP?

Worldwide? The Souls game have done much better than the PS2 MH game (afaik the first one bombed in the west and the second one was never localized).

In Japan, I think MH2 sold better than both Souls game, not sure about MH1.

C_H_T

Yeah but God Eater was on a platform which had all the MH fans, and it released at the right time (MHP3 was still quite far away and MHP2G was out for a while). Other MH clones haven't fared that well (and GE already showed signs of decline with Burst).

And while a 500k+ game is pretty good, Sony really needs game with more potential than that.

In Japan, which of the owned franchises by SCE can have sales more than 500k. I can only think of HSG and GT.

Alrus

In Japan, which of the owned franchises by SCE can have sales more than 500k. I can only think of HSG and GT.

Yeah they're the only ones (and GT PSP much less than 500k). It's one of Sony's biggest weakness in the handheld market imo, their first party output just aren't big sellers.

But again, making a MH clone doesn't guarantee great sales at all, it's not that easy.

DCharlie

One thing regarding "someone could make a clone" - it's got to be on the cards at some point that Capcom -HAVE- to make a home console version of Monster Hunter for the exact reason that if they don't , someone else will make as close a copy as they can.

C_H_T

Yeah they're the only ones (and GT PSP much less than 500k). It's one of Sony's biggest weakness in the handheld market imo, their first party output just aren't big sellers.

But again, making a MH clone doesn't guarantee great sales at all, it's not that easy.

Yeah, I agree it's not easy to make a MH clone with great sales. However, they should give it a try and release it on the PSP.

Btw, does anyone has the LTD of GT PSP (Japan)?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, I agree it's not easy to make a MH clone with great sales. However, they should give it a try and release it on the PSP.

Btw, does anyone has the LTD of GT PSP?

Wasn't it at 2M WW?

If we're talking about Sony scooping up some exclusives, did Lost Planet have any success in Japan?

I'd like to see Capcom bring back Lost Planet, go futher down the Monster Hunter road and release it on Vita. I liked some of the decisions with Lost Planet 2 but there were still some major issues IMO. Seemed like they were one game away from nailing the formula they were after

I mean its not going to do MH numbers out of the gate but it does seems like a franchise ripe for being built up into something big and I haven't seen any news of a part 3

That or making a new Megaman Legends game thats just monster hunter with a megaman skin. RIP Legends 3 :(

Luigiv

Sony and games companies have known about Vita for well over a year now - Sony were likely talking to a number of third parties back then and , if they were clever, will have approached From about doing a tailored-for-Vita Souls game which could reuse code and assets from the PS3 version of DS.

Definitely true but that still doesn't change the fact that FS only just finished Dark Souls and shit would take time. Sony isn't going to announce a game without anything to show.

Also - not EVERY game has to be the new Monster Hunter. There's no point trying to be the new monster hunter - games need to do their own thing and the games that will "win" this generation (i.e. the break out hits) will -almost certainly- be completely new franchises.

Hey it was drek who suggested that Sony should use Dark Souls to sub in for Monster Hunter, I was just explaining why that wouldn't work. You're right though, the gen is young and we've still yet to witness "the new hotness" that will take over and rise to glory. I just wouldn't bet on the new hotness been Souls Portable. That thunder (young existing franchise exploding due to portable shift) was only going to strike once anyway. It's definitely going to be a new IP, like you say.

C_H_T

I agree.
The reason why everyone wants their own MH is, because it (can) sells millions.
Outside Japan people are making FPS, because of the success of Call of Duty. That explains everything.

DCharlie

It's definitely going to be a new IP, like you say.

haha, or something horrible....

like "Unhappy Frogs" , "Miffed Squirrels" or "Discontent Ferrets" (no ideas please, Gameloft)

NeonZ

One thing regarding "someone could make a clone" - it's got to be on the cards at some point that Capcom -HAVE- to make a home console version of Monster Hunter for the exact reason that if they don't , someone else will make as close a copy as they can.

Do game companies really want to do that though? We saw a couple of MH clones for the PSP and even DS, but I don't remember any for consoles.

The clones did well on the PSP, but, if their performance on consoles would be proportional to the difference between console and portable Monhun, they might not be worth it...

That only works for Yuji Horii and Dragon Quest. Everyone else has to keep pumping out games all the time. And since a game takes like two years to pump out, they have to take their decisions early. Like, even before a platform launches if you want to be on it in the first year.

Prior to this generation Capcom didn't have that luxury as they didn't have a game selling over 4 million copies in Japan. Monster Hunter, as flawed as it is, does not fall into the "keep pumping out games all the time" category.

Indeed. Leave the Souls series formula alone. Still hoping for a Demon's Souls 2.....on PS3. SCEJ is too incompetent to make that happen though.

What about Japan?

Shipment + downloadable figures puts GT PSP at 2.69 mil WW and 350K in Japan as of September 2011.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The funniest thing about all MH discussions is that people assume that a release of MH3G PSP would magically mean 4+million sales, when an extremely similar game already sold that and was released not too long ago..

There's also the other big assumption that if they released a dual version between VITA and PSP, that move would help players migrate to the newer platform, IMO that move would make most of the fanbase stay on the PSP, why would you buy new hardware when you can get the exact same experience on the one you already have?

The last funny assumption is that a MH VITA game would sell better because MH fans have platform loyalty (lol).

Exactly.

I just read that Gameloft sells over 50 Million games a year on iOS and Android, and over 80% of their products are complete rips on other publishers' games.

MH Ripoffs were already gaining ground on the PSP and even PC. Not having one on the Vita, which is probably seen more as the MH successor console than 3DS, would leave a huge hole I'm sure SquareEnix, Sega, or Namco would be willing to fill with their clones that were already successful on the PSP
This can really go either way, but history for dedicated closed game systems tends to point in the other direction. Looking at FPS as an example, it's not like the absence of Goldeneye or Halo on PS1 and PS2 allowed other similar games to rise up to big sales on these platforms. In fact the big secondary FPS those generations ended up being on N64 and Xbox, despite those systems being orders of magnitude less successful. Indeed no PlayStation really seemed to have a strong ecosystem for FPS until PS3, and PS3 also happens to be the first PlayStation to get the genre king on it (COD).

Genre ecosystems are usually driven by the genre giants, not by the lack of them. Even this generation look at JRPGs on Wii vs JRPGs on PS3, Monhan clones on DS vs PSP, platformers on PS360 vs Wii, Animal Crossing clones on PSP vs DS, and so on. I think it's very much an open question of how God Eater or Phantasy Star would do on Vita in the absence of Monster Hunter, my guess is likely worse than they did on PSP and worse than they would on 3DS.

The funniest thing about all MH discussions is that people assume that a release of MH3G PSP would magically mean 4+million sales, when an extremely similar game already sold that and was released not too long ago..

There's also the other big assumption that if they released a dual version between VITA and PSP, that move would help players migrate to the newer platform, IMO that move would make most of the fanbase stay on the PSP, why would you buy new hardware when you can get the exact same experience on the one you already have?

The last funny assumption is that a MH VITA game would sell better because MH fans have platform loyalty (lol).

The other funny assumption is that Capcom will be loyal to the 3DS forever now because making a Monster Hunter on Vita or iOS would mean lost sales and revenue.

MHP3G might not have sold 4+ million on PSP, but you would have to be a fool to say it wouldn't sell more than MH3G on 3DS and it would be hard to convince me that it wouldn't have sold at least 2x as much.

weeskwee

Banned

not all gamers are lazy and many want the external umd attachment. i'd gladly use it to play all my 70+ umds if it means i dont have to fire up the old psp anymore. we still want the better screen and dual analog support on Vita.

i have been collecting umd games for years, long before any mention of PSP Go or Vita. the digital downloads were not so common back at the beginning.

that's just great you have been preparing and have a lot of digital games, but not everyone is in that same boat. this device is useless to you but you act as if you are the norm. if we want one, cut with the "lazy" and "useless" insults and go fondle all your digital games in the corner.

Alrus

Genre ecosystems are usually driven by the genre giants, not by the lack of them. Even this generation look at JRPGs on Wii vs JRPGs on PS3, Monhan clones on DS vs PSP, platformers on PS360 vs Wii, Animal Crossing clones on PSP vs DS, and so on. I think it's very much an open question of how God Eater or Phantasy Star would do on Vita in the absence of Monster Hunter, my guess is likely worse than they did on PSP and worse than they would on 3DS.

I never really understood why people say Phantasy Star is a MH clone though... They are very different, outside of being third person game with a focus on coop play. (and Phantasy Star used that formula way before MH). God Eater on the other hand is a much more straightforward clone.

Unless the Vita doesn't sell at all, I think a future Phantasy Star Vita would do good relative to its franchise.

weeskwee

Banned
did anyone notice IGN put an article up saying Monster Hunter IS coming to Vita and using this thread as the source? :eek:

C_H_T

did anyone notice IGN put an article up saying Monster Hunter IS coming to Vita and using this thread as the source? :eek:

Just found it:

http://uk.vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215771p1.html

A Monster Hunter title is coming to PlayStation Vita, according to a report (flagged on GAF).

The report claims that the popular series will come to Sony's new handheld at some point in the second-half of 2012. Details at this point are vague; it's unclear as to whether the game will be another spin-off or a port of Monster Hunter 4, which is a 3DS exclusive at the moment.

What would you want from a Vita Monster Hunter game? Let us know in the comments down below.

test_account

XP-39C²
This applies to pretty much every system and every game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
The other funny assumption is that Capcom will be loyal to the 3DS forever now because making a Monster Hunter on Vita or iOS would mean lost sales and revenue.

MHP3G might not have sold 4+ million on PSP, but you would have to be a fool to say it wouldn't sell more than MH3G on 3DS and it would be hard to convince me that it wouldn't have sold at least 2x as much.
On VITA it would mean lost sales, it has been discussed that the game's appeal is the local multiplayer, so splitting the userbase means exactly lost sales, the appeal of the game is reduced.

On iOS and consoles this is not true, because the local multiplayer needs only one copy and nobody can seriously think the iOS game is a real MH, I don't think there would be a problem releasing it on iOS (as there is on VITA), because the iOS and 3DS markets are fundamentally different, but the 3DS and VITA markets are essentially the same.

About the platform, sure, your number is still pure speculation, and the reason why MH3G exists, is to warm up the fanbase for MH4 3DS. That game would not have existed on the PSP because there is no reason to release it there; it doesn't mean lost sales. If Capcom wanted to continue on the PSP, they would be developing a new game for it, but not releasing a game that is already released there with a few changes. MH3G could have gone VITA or 3DS, and the sanest decision was 3DS.

I never really understood why people say Phantasy Star is a MH clone though... They are very different, outside of being third person game with a focus on coop play. (and Phantasy Star used that formula way before MH). God Eater on the other hand is a much more straightforward clone.

Unless the Vita doesn't sell at all, I think a future Phantasy Star Vita would do good relative to its franchise.
Yeah, it's less of a clone but the Portable games definitely rode Monhan's coattails.

I expect PS Victory will probably do around the ~200k that's normal for the series outside the Monhan base. That's around what PSO did on DC/GC, PSU did on PS2 and PS0 did on DS.

The only Vita Monhan clone we really have for comparison is Lord of Apocalypse vs Arcana, but that's not a great comparison since the sequel was also on PSP.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This applies to pretty much every system and every game.
? By exact same experience I mean exact same game.

Capcom could have continued the series on VITA, they decided that 3DS was a better choice, so they did that.

This rumor is as baseless as the rumors before TGS that said a MH VITA game would be announced (people seem to forget that this was a rumor from a very credible source that had a lot of other rumors right).

I feel we'll have to endure this rumor through the whole generation, or until one of the handhelds dies at least...

Top Bottom