• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Capcom could have continued the series on VITA, they decided that 3DS was a better choice, so they did that.

So where's my Monster Hunter Freedom 3G or 4? :p

test_account

XP-39C²
? By exact same experience I mean exact same game.

Capcom could have continued the series on VITA, they decided that 3DS was a better choice, so they did that.

This rumor is as baseless as the rumors before TGS that said a MH VITA game would be announced (people seem to forget that this was a rumor from a very credible source that had a lot of other rumors right).

I feel we'll have to endure this rumor through the whole generation, or until one of the handhelds dies at least...
Sorry, i missed the dual version :) But it still wouldnt be the same experience. Just the graphics and different controls alone would make it a different experience.

Alrus

Sorry, i missed the dual version :) But it still wouldnt be the same experience. Just the graphics and different controls would make it a different experience.

The control wouldn't be that different, and while graphics would be better, it probably wouldn't be anything drastic. (See Sengoku Basara Wii/PS3).

The necessity of a second stick for MH is greatly overstated.

test_account

XP-39C²
The control wouldn't be that different, and while graphics would be better, it probably wouldn't be anything drastic. (See Sengoku Basara Wii/PS3).

The necessity of a second stick for MH is greatly overstated.
Exactly how much different it would feel is quite subjective, and the graphics probably wouldnt be a huge improvement indeed, but it still is a different experience =)

But i doubt that there will be a Vita/PSP multi release. A Vita/PS3 version would make more sense if something like that is happening.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You know what makes the absolute most sense?

Release MH3G on the 3DS -first-

THEN release MH3rdG on PSP after that because sure as hell no one would buy the 3DS version if the PSP version comes first. That gives you residual revenue from a "last hurrah" PSP game and you may or may not throw Vita a bone with a HD version (or farm it out to Sony to do or something), this way you still have the message that we're leaving the PSP behind.

Hell, call it MH Portable FINAL or something or , as per other thread, have it download only so you can burst the 2gig limit and pack in all the monsters to keep PSP fans occupied possibly forever.

Infact - thinking about it - that's probably yet more bad news for sony because then Capcom further entrench those users into PSP rather than hurrying them across to Vita. :/

End of the day - i am 100% certain that we're going to see Monster Hunter on as many platforms as they can ram it onto with there being "nintendo" Monster Hunter and "Sony" Monster hunter.

and the graphics probably wouldnt be a huge improvement indeed

whilst the PS3 was choking on this , i'd be thrilled if we could get a Monster Hunter that looked close to either Lost Planet 2 or Dragon Dogma on the Vita. That's a lot of dev bucks though so unless Sony already paid out the backside a year or so i go i seriously doubt there'd be much motivtion for a full overhaul BUT it DOES have to happen at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr5HVz1Eml0

I am probably torturing myself but i just cannot imagine that Dragon Dogma is anything but a trial run for the new monster hunter engine (unlikely to be for Vita if it is)

Generation is over? That's news to me. We have one 8th generation system that has launched WW and this generation is over?

The handheld generation is over, yes. DS and PSP are legacy systems now, neither will be supported going forward and publishers need to be moving franchises that appeared on either onto 3DS/PSV.

Capcom's goal is to make as much money as possible, not to hope to migrate a fanbase to a system they make no money on.

Monster Hunter, like any successful franchise, is an asset, and must be managed for long-term value. It's worth putting out a single game that does only 2.5m worldwide (or whatever) if it cements the fanbase on a new system and allows Capcom to release two, three, four titles that sell 4+m over the course of the gen. Conversely, they might sell 5m PSP copies today but if the result is difficulty migrating the franchise, it'll cost them much more in the long run.

There isn't always an exactly right answer here (3G for PSP now and 4 for 3DS in 6 months might've worked out better, conceivably) but it's absolutely correct for Capcom to be thinking about the long-term health of their franchise far more than the success of any one title, and making an early play to move platforms is certainly well within the range of reasonable ways to accomplish that.

Re: the Capcom/Nintendo thing, I can't dig up a good source on it, but I seem to recall it being mentioned somewhere -- maybe an Iwata Asks or something?

They certainly can. Money talks. I certainly don't think you're naive enough to think that ToV, SO4, and other JRPGs were being considered as 360 (timed) exclusive and the MS talk just made the publishers commit to it.

That's kind of the point, though. Moneyhats got Microsoft bupkis. They weren't able to draw in any system-seller franchises or move the needle on 360 performance in Japan, and the only two notable titles to come out of the whole effort (SO4 and ToV) were both given significantly improved PS3 versions right away. That's with a desperate Microsoft with a wide-open checkbook casting about for anything that could possibly make 360 a success in Japan. (Nobody else in the industry has ever come even within orders of magnitude to Microsoft's specific willingness to cut co-marketing deals with third parties.)

Monster Hunter is now, over the course of a generation, something like a billion dollar franchise. The plausible amounts of money a platform-holder can spend are not actually very large at all in comparison. If Capcom expects to make an extra $300m over the course of the generation by picking a specific platform or moving at a specific time, Sony can't possibly offset that.

Niche developers are not gonna do anything. They are already situated and very happy on iphone and android.

o_O

When I say "niche developers" I'm talking about a) in Japan and b) games that sell 50-200k at retail prices right now, not $1 ultra-indie stuff -- Nippon Ichi and the like.

As far a "franchise up for the taking", Sony doesn't really have a choice, do they?

No, they don't, which is part of why people have been saying Sony had a hard hill to climb in Japan for years now. I agree that Sony's in a tough spot on this, I just don't think they have very many outs.

Looking at Vita's sales in Japan, I really don't see how you can honestly say that Sony needs indie developers more so than the franchises you mentioned.

I didn't say that; I said that Sony has somewhere between a very slim chance and no chance whatsoever to get most of those franchises on their system, so focusing on building up a wide library of smaller titles (and hoping to find another breakout hit somewhere in the process) is their best available bet.

If all they had to do was pick a new handheld system, you would think they would have waited until the system was up and running with a well established userbase before making the decision.

Why would they do that? Monster Hunter is the single biggest franchise in Japan. They're a kingmaker. Within remotely reasonable bounds, the platform they pick will succeed just by virtue of having MH on it. Capcom has the advantage here; they can afford to look at the online infrastructure, development costs, licensing arrangement, likely regional success outside of Japan, or whatever else they want about each platform and make a decision solely on those factors because their franchise will do well with either choice.

whilst the PS3 was choking on this , i'd be thrilled if we could get a Monster Hunter that looked close to either Lost Planet 2 or Dragon Dogma on the Vita. That's a lot of dev bucks though so unless Sony already paid out the backside a year or so i go i seriously doubt there'd be much motivtion for a full overhaul BUT it DOES have to happen at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr5HVz1Eml0

I am probably torturing myself but i just cannot imagine that Dragon Dogma is anything but a trial run for the new monster hunter engine (unlikely to be for Vita if it is)
They'll have to cut corners somewhere, I don't think LP2 would run at an acceptable framerate on PSV.

Regarding DD, isn't that running on MTFramework? They have that up and running on 3DS, maybe MH4 will use it as well?

Agent X

I would still like to know what happened between sony and capcom.

Ever since the end of the ps1 they have been putting most of there eggs in anyone but sony's basket, Dreamcast, then gamecube, then 360, RE psp probably turning into RE Revelations and now this whole monster hunter thing.

Did someone at sony run over someone at capcom's dog around the turn of the millennium?

Capcom was extremely enthusiastic about the PSP for the first couple of years that it was out. I even remember reading about a board meeting they had, where one of the top executives pulled a PSP out of his pocket and declared it "the future". That's why Capcom released so many games for PSP early on (2005-2006), but drastically pared back PSP support once the DS started running away with the ball.

(This is why I've been saying Sony needs to focus on getting a lot of niche development by aggressively targeting smaller devs and pubs -- they have a much better chance of making the system desirable through diversity of library than through having big, must-have exclusives.)

That would be a good idea. There's always a chance that some promising new game could suddenly blossom into "the next big thing". Sometimes it's better to grow and promote new concepts rather than chasing after the shadows of yesterday's past hits.

DCharlie

They'll have to cut corners somewhere, I don't think LP2 would run at an acceptable framerate on PSV.

Unless i'm going absolute balls crazy, i could have sworn LP was already mentioned for Vita, but regardless it would need some corner cutting.

Regarding DD, isn't that running on MTFramework? They have that up and running on 3DS, maybe MH4 will use it as well?

Yup - not running particularly great either at TGS in terms of frame rate. I did note that some of the game play elements in the MH4 trailer (jumping on, climbing around monsters) were present in the open field demo too - so yup, i'm sure there's scope for cross over.

Hope they change the co-op system then. Because in its actual state, it's going to be the worst MH game ever made.

yup, it's effectively single player with bots. So it would be pointless. Again, hoping they aren't putting multi in there simply because this is the -test run- game :D

patsu

Capcom was extremely enthusiastic about the PSP for the first couple of years that it was out. I even remember reading about a board meeting they had, where one of the top executives pulled a PSP out of his pocket and declared it "the future". That's why Capcom released so many games for PSP early on (2005-2006), but drastically pared back PSP support once the DS started running away with the ball.

Ouch. Hopefully Capcom sees value in the Playstation userbase. ^_^

That would be a good idea. There's always a chance that some promising new game could suddenly blossom into "the next big thing". Sometimes it's better to grow and promote new concepts rather than chasing after the shadows of yesterday's past hits.

Yap but it should be balanced by familiar titles too. The PS3 basically went through the same thing.

DCharlie

Just to also point out regarding Monster Hunter that it's beyond just being just a game now - the sheer amount of related goods can fill stores on their own and i'm sure Capcom are now driving to once and for all solidify the series in a way that makes it an ever lasting seller in the mould of Pokemon.

And it has every possibility of doing so.

Apenheul

Just to also point out regarding Monster Hunter that it's beyond just being just a game now - the sheer amount of related goods can fill stores on their own and i'm sure Capcom are now driving to once and for all solidify the series in a way that makes it an ever lasting seller in the mould of Pokemon.

And it has every possibility of doing so.

The maybe that's the reason for moving the franchise onto Nintendo platforms. if they want to make the franchise that popular worldwide. And when 3G is published worldwide they release multiplatform again.

Takao

Banned
I think their need for annual sequels and releases all in the same genre will ultimately make it so Monster Hunter won't be a Pokemon. Capcom is doing the exact same thing they did with Megaman, and we all know how that turned out.

Boney

Banned
I think their need for annual sequels and releases all in the same genre will ultimately make it so Monster Hunter won't be a Pokemon. Capcom is doing the exact same thing they did with Megaman, and we all know how that turned out.

Wasn't Pokemon on DS yearly not counting spinoffs?

DCharlie

i think they've managed it fairly well so far.

All they need to do is have a yearly target , then stick out a HD version for whatever partnering console is available 6 months down the line, then release G update to both another 6 months in.

and each year hit December, after a G cycle you skip to give more dev time for the next franchise boost.

E.g.
Dec 2013 : MH4
June 2014 : MH4 HD
Dec 2014 : MH4 G
Dec 2015 : MH5 - cycle repeats

Takao

Banned
Wasn't Pokemon on DS yearly not counting spinoffs?

This was the release of main Pokemon games this gen:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl - 2006
Pokemon Platinum - 2008
Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver - 2009
Pokemon Black/White - 2010

The difference between Pokemon, and Monster Hunter is that the former has already been established as a main stay. There's also different levels of push the games got. In between the main series games there was 4 years, but between the main series evolution there was an expansion and a remake. The expansion and remake weren't pushed as "THE NEXT POKEMON GAME" they were pushed on the values of being a remake, and an expansion.

This is recent Monster Hunter main games:
Monster Hunter Tri - 2009
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd - 2010
Monster Hunter Tri G - 2011

There is no distinction in push for Monster Hunter titles. Portable is a more popular series than the non-Portable ones, but they're treated the same equally. Monster Hunter Tri was "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER", and then Portable 3rd was "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER", and now Tri G is "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER". The "G" games are the expansion packs, but they're given the push and marketing that a non-expansion pack would receive.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
^ of course everyone knows the G games are "just" expansions too and they're pushed on the merits of their additions to the last.

Erethian

Unless i'm going absolute balls crazy, i could have sworn LP was already mentioned for Vita, but regardless it would need some corner cutting.

LP2 was never announced for Vita, it was just a tech demo to illustrate how easy it was to port HD games to the system, and what MT Framework Mobile can pull off.

Sega did the same thing when they showed a cutscene from, I think it was Yakuza 4, running on Vita.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope it's true. But I wish it would be a ground up Mon Hun game for Vita instead of just some upgraded port or something. I mean somehow they manage to keep the new Monster Hunter series games in the "PS2-generation" hardware for all eternity. It was on PS2, then PSP, then on Wii, then on 3DS. I'd like them to finally make a Monster Hunter officially for an HD console please. The possibilities are quite endless. And I don't mean that Frontier PC title or whatever it is, gross!

Ah well, it'll probably be a third port of some other Mon Hun game or something. Still, I'd take it if it gets an official full fledged online mode on the go. That's the reason I play Mon Hunt games, so that's what I want. Definitive edition; best graphics, best controls, online play. I love the Monster Hunter games (at least the console ones; I've avoided the retread handheld titles to date) but it's hard not to feel like the franchise is running in place at this point.

Takao

Banned
and platinum and hgss weren't?

they had 3 variations of 3 and now they're moving on to 4. I don't get your point.

Platinum and HG/SS weren't promoted as the next things in Pokemon. They were promoted as a remake, and an expansion. They sold accordingly. They didn't outsell D/P, and B/W will outsell them. However, Tri G has outsold Tri, and Portable 3rd outsold them both combined. The pecking order in the Monster Hunter franchise is very weird.

There's actually a 4th variant of Tri (though I should mention, Tri and Portable 3rd are not the same game, they share assets and junk, but they're not the same) - Portable 3rd HD... There's also Monster Hunter Frontier which offers the exact same gameplay experience, but that's kind of off the map since it's a PC and 360 game.

LP2 was never announced for Vita, it was just a tech demo to illustrate how easy it was to port HD games to the system, and what MT Framework Mobile can pull off.

Sega did the same thing when they showed a cutscene from, I think it was Yakuza 4, running on Vita.

I guarantee we'll see a Yakuza title on Vita. They've got a bunch of PS3 stuff to pull from. I'm just assuming they're waiting until after Black Panther 2 is released to let the cat out of the bag.

The expansion and remake weren't pushed as "THE NEXT POKEMON GAME" they were pushed on the values of being a remake, and an expansion.

Portable is a more popular series than the non-Portable ones, but they're treated the same equally. Monster Hunter Tri was "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER", and then Portable 3rd was "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER", and now Tri G is "THE NEXT MONSTER HUNTER".

Yeah, I'm gonna call bullshit on this. People who follow both of these series understand and track the distinctions like the remake vs. new game and expansion vs. original game thing and I don't think you can make a serious argument that one of the two is less tolerant of annual releases because of some minor distinction in positioning that may or may not exist.

Luigiv

Hell, call it MH Portable FINAL or something or , as per other thread, have it download only so you can burst the 2gig limit and pack in all the monsters to keep PSP fans occupied possibly forever.

Why would they need to go over the 2GB limit? The PSP engine and assets are really lightweight. All PSP Monster Hunters have shipped on single layer UMDs with room to spare. I can't imagine this hypothetical game needing to be more then maybe 1.1GB. That'd easily fit on a dual layer UMD (1.8GB).

Edit: Hmm, double checking, apparently portable 3rd was already 1.1GB. My mistake. Still plenty of room for more monsters and maps, though.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I hope it's true. But I wish it would be a ground up Mon Hun game for Vita instead of just some upgraded port or something. I mean somehow they manage to keep the new Monster Hunter series games in the "PS2-generation" hardware for all eternity. It was on PS2, then PSP, then on Wii, then on 3DS. I'd like them to finally make a Monster Hunter officially for an HD console please. The possibilities are quite endless. And I don't mean that Frontier PC title or whatever it is, gross!

Ah well, it'll probably be a third port of some other Mon Hun game or something. Still, I'd take it if it gets an official full fledged online mode on the go. That's the reason I play Mon Hunt games, so that's what I want. Definitive edition; best graphics, best controls, online play. I love the Monster Hunter games (at least the console ones; I've avoided the retread handheld titles to date) but it's hard not to feel like the franchise is running in place at this point.

That's what I've never understood about Capcom and this series. If they really want this game to be big in the west and evolve, they'd make it on one of the platforms that actually has an amazing online experience and watch the success of the series. Make an X360 version to get everyone to get their XBL friends to buy it (which is how many co-op games become successful, the social aspect), and the game would be huge. Make a PS3 version of the game, obviously, and if they want it on handhelds, make a PSV version since the system is so capable wrt graphics and online.

Kyon

Banned
That's what I've never understood about Capcom and this series. If they really want this game to be big in the west and evolve, they'd make it on one of the platforms that actually has an amazing online experience and watch the success of the series. Make an X360 version to get everyone to get their XBL friends to buy it (which is how many co-op games become successful, the social aspect), and the game would be huge. Make a PS3 version of the game, obviously, and if they want it on handhelds, make a PSV version since the system is so capable wrt graphics and online.
360 main audience here would not bother with a game like MH, its not that simple.

Needs guns.

DMeisterJ

Banned
360 main audience here would not bother with a game like MH, its not that simple.

Needs guns.

I think it's selling the 360 audience too short. There's a lot of shooters successful on the platform because that's what publishers are making. I at least think it's a better idea than trying to make the platform more successful in the west by launching it on a portable.

theBishop

Banned

Seriously. Online play for fuck's sake. If Capcom did it right on Vita with the scale of a modern game, and a good online party system, I could get into this series.

Kyon

Banned
I think it's selling the 360 audience too short. There's a lot of shooters successful on the platform because that's what publishers are making. I at least think it's a better idea than trying to make the platform more successful in the west by launching it on a portable.
It will never be popular here that's the point. It would have to play/look totally different to be successful here imo.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yes, making a MH on 360 would've been the best choice for the series

whaaa

Didn't read?

Making a Monster Hunter on the HD platforms would ensure more success in the western markets versus on a handheld. The best choice for the series would be for it to be on as many platforms as possible.

I guarantee we'll see a Yakuza title on Vita. They've got a bunch of PS3 stuff to pull from. I'm just assuming they're waiting until after Black Panther 2 is released to let the cat out of the bag.

there are already PSP Yakuza games....guess its just a matter of when the series will be Vita-ized and when they will be localized to NA

Boney

Banned
Didn't read?

Making a Monster Hunter on the HD platforms would ensure more success in the western markets versus on a handheld. The best choice for the series would be for it to be on as many platforms as possible.

so sacrifice the home turf for a slight off chance of making it on the west?

Boney

Banned
we're opening a totally new can of worms that I don't wanna get involved with right now, good night boys

Orayn

No, you wouldn't sacrifice sales on the home turf because you'd downport the PS3 version of the game to the PSV.

But making that version would be a hell of a lot more expensive than just making new ones for portable platforms. Why would Capcom risk it when the series already sells like hotcakes in Japan. Have you seen Monster Hunter Portable 3rd's sales figures?

Top Bottom