• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

jimmypython

most likely it would be MHP3G for both PSP and Vita with some touch/3G/trophy features for the Vita version if SCEJ is willing to make some effort.

DarkMehm

It was always on the cards. They did not get rid of the "Portable"-Name of the 3DS-Versions for nothing. A possible MHP 3G and MHP 4 will come to the Vita eventually.

Murkas

Excellent...

Hopefully it will have a proper online system as well, no jumping through ad hoc party/xlink kai (which to be fair wasn't THAT much of an inconvenience).

Acosta

Of course, I don't understand why anyone could doubt it.

It is Capcom, this is what Capcom always does.

BY2K

Membero Americo
This is surprising how? Of course there was going to be a Monster Hunter on Vita, it certainly wasn't going to be 3DS exclusive.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

The nikkei these rumors is like the jp version of the wall street journal, it's a business and economy news source. Nikkei Trendy is something else, not exactly the establishment nikkei is. The way the it's printed here seems more fluff then hard rumor.

Given the emphasis Sony has placed on Vita being a gaming device with deeply embedded social features, a well featured MH game that uses them would be pretty awesome for fans of the series.

Nikkei Trendy != Nikkei, so grain of salt time. For the reasons charlequin has posted about in recent Media-Create threads, this makes little sense unless it's a spinoff with drastically different gameplay from the proper MH series; splitting the userbase for a local multiplayer-driven handheld series seems likely to result in lower total sales for both 3DS and Vita installments. I guess we'll see before too long, though.

teepo

hopefully they'll use sony's tools properly and develop a ps3 version along side it with proper online support and crossplatform play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What if this is actually Monster Hunter Freedom 4th? :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nikkei Trendy != Nikkei, so grain of salt time. For the reasons charlequin has posted about in recent Media-Create threads, this makes little sense unless it's a spinoff with drastically different gameplay from the proper MH series; splitting the userbase for a local multiplayer-driven handheld series seems likely to result in lower total sales for both 3DS and Vita installments. I guess we'll see before too long, though.

Doesn't Capcom already juggle different versions? Tri/Portable3rd -> 4/Portable4th? Nintendo/Sony -> Nintendo/Sony? There's already people walking around with both different lines on different handhelds, not able to play with each other.

In that formula, 4 would be the first time that line launched on portable vs home, but I don't know if there's much advantage for Capcom in making the distinction, in Japan anyway. And I can't see them unifying the strands to have just one line in the future - leaving money on the table to do that.

spwolf

i never understood why so many people here thought there would be no more MH for PS.
That seemed so ridiculous.

Famassu

Vita is already dead in Japan and won't launch outside Japan, why would Capcom release Monster Hunter game for it?

BadWolf

No online, no buy.

I've played a ton of 2, freedom and portable 3rd single player so unless they incorporate online multiplayer, I'm out.

i never understood why so many people here thought there would be no more MH for PS.

?

No one thought that, everyone just feels that its too early.
So if there is MHvita, will people want to buy MH4 on 3ds if there may be MH4vita in 9 mths?

But this is Capcom and they made a lot of strange move like this before(re4 ps2 announced before GC out etc)

Doesn't Capcom already juggle different versions? Tri/Portable3rd -> 4/Portable4th? Nintendo/Sony -> Nintendo/Sony? There's already people walking around with both different lines on different handhelds, not able to play with each other.

In that formula, 4 would be the first time that line launched on portable vs home, but I don't know if there's much advantage for Capcom in making the distinction, in Japan anyway. And I can't see them unifying the strands to have just one line in the future - leaving money on the table to do that.
Different lines (on handhelds) right now is purely due to generational transition, that's hardly evidence of anything.

The argument against separate lines on competitive handhelds going forward is that's it's going to split the 4m+ fanbase and could hurt the series since it's almost entirely dependant on local multiplayer. Going all in on either 3DS or Vita would curcumvent that, but not on both.

Darryl

Banned

i can imagine that a game series like MH (or any other game that thrives on local multiplayer) would grow faster with a larger user base, so splitting that user-base into two doesn't seem like a very good move

Ultratech

MHP3G HD for Vita.

Let's do this!

Or they could just release MH4 and Vita will break millions in the East. (Assuming MH4 is good.)

fr4nz

if I was capcom, I'll release Monster Hunter Portable 3rd G on PSP UMD/PSN for the summer.
There will be no much effort to release a game on a system that's still healthy in japan, and Vita user could download it and play via the psp emulator.

ace3skoot

this rumour was sponsored by Sony! because beleiving things makes then true!

But seriously i welcome new Monster Hunter in all its glorious forms, some PS3/Vita MH seems inevitable at some point.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Different lines (on handhelds) right now is purely due to generational transition, that's hardly evidence of anything.

The argument against separate lines on competitive handhelds going forward is that's it's going to split the 4m+ fanbase and could hurt the series since it's almost entirely dependant on local multiplayer. Going all in on either 3DS or Vita would curcumvent that, but not on both.

I think they'd have to manage it carefully so the base's attention was on one or the other at a given point in time, but I can't see Capcom giving up the dual-line thing one way or the other. It would not surprise me if Capcom thinks the appetite is strong enough to support two portable lines at alternating points in time, or indeed if they think it would be preferable for both lines to launch on handheld. If they're different enough and spaced out enough, I think they might be right. I am sure Capcom is thinking of ways to make the 2/Tri/?? line as popular as its sibling...launching it on handheld rather than on home systems might be one tactic to try.

I do not think they'd mention another '4' game before 4 is out, but if the Portable 3rd line gets another variant on Vita, I'd take it as a signal that Capcom isn't finished with that machine wrt the franchise.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
this rumour was sponsored by Sony! because beleiving things makes then true!

But seriously i welcome new Monster Hunter in all its glorious forms, some PS3/Vita MH seems inevitable at some point.

Obviously Sony paid off this magazine to run a MH story to get people to buy their Vita now and the 3DS Lite story to get people to hold off from buying a 3DS. It all makes sense.

PS3/Vita MH is such a bad idea. PS3/Vita is a great idea in theory but nobody is actually going to buy a Vita if they can play all their crap on a PS3.

Top Bottom