• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2017 (Sep 11 - Sep 17)

MoonFrog

It's just a thread. If you like the MH games, want World, etc. don't let it get to you.

I've got to imagine MH itself is a bigger deal to fans than internet discussion of MH.

Idk. I'm not a MH person, personally.

(To the "MH go die" bit above)

Capcom just is in a weird way and they're going out on a questionable limb, as a business, and people also question whether it even makes sense to be on that questionable limb. There's a lot to hem and haw over in that in an industry discussion thread. Given the nature of MH historical sales, there's a lot to hem and haw over in these threads in particular.

I'd like to think some of the discussion around Capcom's financials and decisions were in good faith, but I feel like a lot of it is thinly veiled anger because the latest Monster Hunter game isn't on the person's console of choice. We'd at least get to the heart of this merry-go-round if people were a little more honest. I get being upset about a lack of localization for XX, but it feels like there's more to it than that.

Pachael

Need to push more mobile games news baby.

Well, most of what I'm reading in gamebiz.jp and Gematsu seem to be standard similar-ish domestic-centric mobile gaming with established IP as well as some new IP that might struggle due to their lack of differentiation in design. Looking at Bamco's new Layered Stories Zero, it looks like a standard cross-media effort with modern setting with monsters with the only differentiation being the '360 movement' gameplay where battles are in a small arena that might look interesting.

Also, a lot of those IPs are not going to be localised so there's little interest in that, and from what I seen in TGS it doesn't really look at latching onto heavy trends outside the domestic market (mobile MOBAs, MMOs, UE4, e-sports, battle royale genre, push into China etc) which is I see where publishers are putting increasing focus on.

Sandfox

I'd like to think some of the discussion around Capcom's financials and decisions were in good faith, but I feel like a lot of it is thinly veiled anger because the game isn't on the person's console of choice. We'd at least get to the heart of this merry-go-round if people were a little more honest.

These type of discussions about Capcom were going on long before MHW was announced.

These type of discussions about Capcom were going on long before MHW was announced.

Were they this pervasive back then? I could be wrong about my feelings on the matter, of course, but I don't recall this amount of "spirited" discussion before. Maybe it was just as bad when the series started skipping Sony's hardware? It seems the shoe is on the other foot now.

Mario007

Were they this pervasive back then? I could be wrong about my feelings on the matter, of course, but I don't recall this amount of "spirited" discussion before.
They started when Capcom dared not supporting the Switch at launch and not putting the XX on it at first.

Aters

Were they this pervasive back then? I could be wrong about my feelings on the matter, of course, but I don't recall this amount of "spirited" discussion before.

Oh most certainly there were. SFV, DR4, RE7, MHXX - these are the under-performed titles before MHW was even announced.

notaskwid

It's a shame that capcom-san and nintendo-chan don't have the good relationship they once held, but so is life, sometimes people just grow apart for one reason or the other...

StormKing

I'd like to think some of the discussion around Capcom's financials and decisions were in good faith, but I feel like a lot of it is thinly veiled anger because the latest Monster Hunter game isn't on the person's console of choice. We'd at least get to the heart of this merry-go-round if people were a little more honest.

It shows how dumb of a video game publisher Capcom is and why their financials are terrible. They should expand their audience not abandon part of it (portable fans and Nintendo fans). It's why Square Enix and Bandai Namco are thriving while Capcom is failing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'd like to think some of the discussion around Capcom's financials and decisions were in good faith, but I feel like a lot of it is thinly veiled anger because the latest Monster Hunter game isn't on the person's console of choice. We'd at least get to the heart of this merry-go-round if people were a little more honest. I get being upset about a lack of localization for XX, but it feels like there's more to it than that.
When you aren't doing to well people will react even stronger to decision they don't agree with. In a vacuum MHW on those systems isn't a big deal... But if you add all the stuff with Capcoms recent console games under performing and them using the 3DS MH money on failed mobiles experiments... You can see why some people are wondering what there end game is here.

PS4/Xbox One are in there 4th year now and Capcoms output of new games on those systems has been lackluster all things considered. I think most of us would prefer Capcom to be in a strong position so they can develop more new games again.

MoonFrog

Idk.

I think that cuts both ways.

I think a) it is a questionable choice:

-they are risking their core market
-they are putting a lot of resources into it
-they don't know that they can make up their losses in a new market

At the same time b) it is possible to see why they might make it:

-complete lack of faith in sustainability of Japanese portable market
-attracted to platforms with a more established history of GaaS
-potential Vacuum in between Nintendo portables

While it is also c) possible to question these reasons.

There is plenty of seeming down-playing of a), which can, if we're not generous, look like "rah rah Sony."

There is also plenty of seeming complete dismissal of b), which can, if we're not generous, come across as "rah rah Nintendo."

C) tends to fold back into debates punting between a) and b).

Or we could just be generous and try and elevate the discussion rather than assuming bad faith :p.

I recall Capcom catching a lot of shit for releasing a bare-bones SFV, yes. I'm not too familiar with the Dead Rising 4 criticisms (they must have been rather muted). Regarding Resident Evil VII, was that mostly to do with their decision to go first-person and bring the game back to its roots? With XX, I know there was a lot of (justified) anger over a lack of localization, but it was exacerbated and fueled by World being announced for everything but the Switch. If World was also releasing on the Switch, I don't think the lack of localization would have been as big of a deal. Looking at it a little more, it seems like Capcom ignited a small fire that turned into an outright conflagration with their decisions surrounding Monster Hunter.

Yeshua

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 25 to Oct 29):

[NSW + 3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors (32 days) - 100000
[PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (25 days) - 70000
[3DS] Mario & Luigi: RPG1 DX (25 days) - 70000
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (11 days) - 150000
[PS4 + PSV] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (11 days) - 50000
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (3 days) - 350000

fortunato

Banned
When you aren't doing to well people will react even stronger to decision they don't agree with. In a vacuum MHW on those systems isn't a big deal... But if you add all the stuff with Capcoms recent console games under performing and them using the 3DS MH money on failed mobiles experiments... You can see why some people are wondering what there end game is here.

PS4/Xbox One are in there 4th year now and Capcoms output of new games on those systems has been lackluster all things considered. I think most of us would prefer Capcom to be in a strong position so they can develop more new games again.

Yeah, Capcom's issues go way back Monster Hunter's strategy. I'm happy we agree on this as well!

They released very few new games on PS4 and Xbox One, and all of them underperformed. Dead Rising 3/4; Street Fighter V; Umbrella Corps; Resident Evil VII; the new Sengoku Basara pushed the franchise into irrelevance; Dragon's Dogma Online saw moderate success. Add to that vaporwares like Deep Down, and an extreme overload of collections/ports/HD revisions, and the absence in the mobile landscape... Even if World will be a breakout hit, Capcom needs some wakeup call.

If that was the only game not coming to some people personal console of choice maybe you would have a point.

Aters

I recall Capcom catching a lot of shit for releasing a bare-bones SFV, yes. I'm not too familiar with the Dead Rising 4 criticisms (they must have been rather muted). Regarding Resident Evil VII, was that mostly to do with their decision to go first-person and bring the game back to its roots? With XX, I know there was a lot of (justified) anger over a lack of localization, but it was exacerbated and fueled by World being announced for everything but the Switch. If World was also releasing on the Switch, I don't think the lack of localization would have been as big of a deal.

DR4 is a bad game that nobody bought. RE7 is a highly divisive game and many fans are very vocal about why they don't like it. It also doesn't sell well. MHXX is a game nobody asked for and underperformed. It has nothing to do with localization. Japan don't love it either.

If that was the only game not coming to some people personal console of choice maybe you would have a point.

Well, I mention that specifically because of its recent history as an ostensibly exclusive series on Nintendo consoles. It was treated as such in a lot of discussions I came across regarding the odds of it releasing on a non-Nintendo console. Some said it made no financial sense, that Capcom had some secret deal with Nintendo, or that they liked Nintendo's marketing too much to risk it.

People built up this narrative that Monster Hunter would always appear on Nintendo hardware from here on out, so to see that partnership come to an end must have been shocking for some die-hards. It was followed by the spreading of FUD with claims that it was "Westernized" to an unrecognizable degree (thanks to a bogus 4chan rumor) — even when we had official word to the contrary. There were individuals flat-out saying Capcom was lying about it being the new generation, not a spin-off.

Capcom managed to support the 3DS quite well, so I don't understand why people are freaking out so soon into the Switch's launch. Give it another year, at least.

fortunato

Banned
In a month we will have more information about the SMT HD project.

Really curious about this. SMT is a popular series, but it has yet to reach a wider appeal as Persona was able to reach with the 5th installment.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, Capcom's issues go way back Monster Hunter's strategy. I'm happy we agree on this as well!

They released very few new games on PS4 and Xbox One, and all of them underperformed. Dead Rising 3/4; Street Fighter V; Umbrella Corps; Resident Evil VII; the new Sengoku Basara pushed the franchise into irrelevance; Dragon's Dogma Online saw moderate success. Add to that vaporwares like Deep Down, and an extreme overload of collections/ports/HD revisions, and the absence in the mobile landscape... Even if World will be a breakout hit, Capcom needs some wakeup call.

Mega Man titles getting announced and cancelled. Mega Man Legends 3 in particular getting cancelled and blaming the fans.

StormKing

Well, I mention that specifically because of its recent history as an ostensibly exclusive series on Nintendo consoles. It was treated as such in a lot of discussions I came across regarding the odds of it releasing on a non-Nintendo console. Some said it made no financial sense, that Capcom had some secret deal with Nintendo, or that they liked Nintendo's marketing too much to risk it.

People built up this narrative that Monster Hunter would always appear on Nintendo hardware from here on out, so to see that partnership come to an end must have been shocking for some die-hards. It was followed by the spreading of FUD with claims that it was "Westernized" to an unrecognizable degree (thanks to a bogus 4chan rumor) — even when we had official word to the contrary. There were individuals flat-out saying Capcom was lying about it being the new generation, not a spin-off.

Capcom managed to support the 3DS quite well, so I don't understand why people are freaking out so soon into the Switch's launch. Give it another year, at least.

It is shocking to see Capcom abandon their core audience (Japan) to chase after the Western install base. But looking at all of Capcom's failures lately: SFV failure, RE:7 sales under performance, Dead Rising 4 sales failure, MVCI bad critical reception and mobile division flops. Now the Monster Hunter XX and Monster Hunter World decisions make more sense. Capcom simply has no idea what they're doing business wise.

Thanks for the replies, by the way. I think I have a better understanding of the situation now that a lot of it has been put into perspective.

In a month we will have more information about the SMT HD project.

Really curious about this. SMT is a popular series, but it has yet to reach a wider appeal as Persona was able to reach with the 5th installment.
it needs a much bigger marketing campaign to reach that wide audience in my opinion

noshten

PREDICTION LEAGUE OCTOBER 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from Sep 25 to Oct 29):

[NSW + 3DS] Fire Emblem Warriors (32 days) - 95000
[PS4] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (25 days) - 70000
[3DS] Mario & Luigi: RPG1 DX (25 days) - 60000
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport (11 days) - 130000
[PS4 + PSV] Itadaki Street: Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary (11 days) - 60000
[NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (3 days) - 430000

fortunato

Banned
Bigger marketing campaign won't do many things if gameplay isn't appealing and even if it brings extra buyers the profit for that strategy must exceed the additional cost.

Also, Persona breakout was built across the years by nurturing a specific and receptive segment of the gaming market. Persona was able to grow because it had the potential to grow; and Atlus was constant in releasing games and other stuffs. Shin Megami Tensei might not be able to do so unless major stylistic changes are undertaken. Nevertheless, I think it can grow a bit from previous entries, and reaching 350-400k if Atlus plays well. But we have yet to see everything about the game so it's a bit early to say anything.

They started when Capcom dared not supporting the Switch at launch and not putting the XX on it at first.

The big problem with some of the MH discussion is the presumes that World isn't going to hit the Switch and then works itself backwards to justify the narrative that Capcom made just that bad of decision.

When we now know the game is releasing in January of next year and it's extremely late in development. Like, you could make the argument against it if it was far off. But it's quite literally 4 months away. And we know there's a PC version a little after that.

Since there's no exclusivity deal and because it's built on the MT Framework engine, it'll hit the Switch when they've finished up development and can actually dedicate resources towards down porting it.

And then those people will look foolish, because World will be on Switch, and it'll sell in Japan.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Bigger marketing campaign won't do many things if gameplay isn't appealing and even if it brings extra buyers the profit for that strategy must exceed the additional cost.

It needs waifus and Dating sims mechanics.

I have only played PS4G.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If you want to add double pack to the total it's multiplied by 2.

US/UM is the big question of how much will be affected at sales. 2m+ was the barrier for previous entries. It's the only non Switch game that will pull big numbers at holidays.

L~A

Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 is pretty much the same thing as USUM: new games set in same region, with a few new stuff. More than a mere third-version, but not really a brand new game either. Came out after the successor of the platforms they're on was released.

Famitsu (via GDL) has:

- Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 1.618.621 / 3.019.274

LTD doesn't seem likely atm, though pre-orders will tell us if there's going to be higher sales than expected. I think LTD should at least reach FW of B2W2.

With dual-pack + digital, should be doable.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I am playing stories on 3ds
I am angry about XX not get localized and I am playing the Japanese demo on switch
I am going to buy world on ps4

Capcom take on the Switch in general still makes no sense

fortunato

Banned
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 is pretty much the same thing as USUM: new games set in same region, with a few new stuff. More than a mere third-version, but not really a brand new game either. Came out after the successor of the platforms they're on was released.

Famitsu (via GDL) has:

- Pokémon Black 2 / White 2 - 1.618.621 / 3.019.274

LTD doesn't seem likely atm, though pre-orders will tell us if there's going to be higher sales than expected. I think LTD should at least reach FW of B2W2.

With dual-pack + digital, should be doable.

Is it, though? UltraSun and UltraMoon are a re-telling of the same story seen in Sun and Moon, with a few additional plot-lines/characters. Black 2 and White 2 were, in fact, sequels. UltraSun and UltraMoon are closer to a third version than a true sequel.

Also, Black 2 and White 2 came from a pretty successful entry, while Sun and Moon are the worst performing mainline entry in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
US/UM lacks forward compatibilitty this time. 3DS users could play the new versions, Switch users can't. That's a big minus at sales although it comes out one year earlier than B2/W2.

US/UM seem more like third versions but separated into versions like the main games instead of a single game like Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, Emerald. B/W2 on the other hand were new games set in the same region. In terms of content this is a significant difference and it's probably a key reason as to why B/W2 performed the best.I wouldn't expect US/UM to perform anywhere near as well. Maybe it'll hit 2m LTD.

but what if this time it can.Takes octopath traveler for example and use the ww audience this time(I know this is a media create thread but still),the reception upon the focus on it in the direct combining with a released demo,it turned a kinda niche jrpg with retro-sprites that no one talked about after the January presentation into a pretty anticipated switch game,lots of people talks about that game right now.I think some kind of marketing like that with the help from Nintendo could help
Good material for a visual novel.
it will end with Nintendo killing Capcom in the Mushroom castle and hides Capcom's body away.3 months later Phoenix Wright comes to the mushroom kingdom to find the killer, while defending Rockman-san,who everyone believed to be Capcom's killer(Rockman-san had heats with Capcom in the past due to Capcom killing his franchise so this could be him getting revenge on Capcom).After 20 trials,12 breakdowns,the Evil Nintendo is finally brought out to the light,setting up the events for the upcoming Nintendo vs. Capcom game,PS4/X1/PC with the switch being skipped as usual:p
Am I doing it right?

A company can release quality titles and still make bad financial/business decisions, or having such titles underperforming (also, World has yet to release so it's a bit early to call it a quality title). Resident Evil VII is a quality title, but also a very divisive one: not all Resident Evil fans liked it, or liked the game as a Resident Evil entry, hence lower sales.

Remember that Capcom, contrarily to Konami, doesn't have any fruitful mobile game to fall on. It's living off the legacy of its old catalogue. I mean, ROI is driven by the n-th port of Resident Evil 4.

As a comparison, think about if Square Enix had released an underperforming Final Fantasy, and the year after would have focused all of its resources (as Capcom is doing for World, as you mentioned) on the worldwide release of Dragon Quest, hoping it will be a breakout success able to improve the company's prospect... Without having any MMORPG/mobile game/Western division to fall on (but yeah, Final Fantasy VII is selling well on Steam).

such an apt analogy

Oregano

Good to see Koei Tecmo put their money where their mouth is and announce an actual somewhat relevant new game for Switch.

Funny how there was apparently worries about the technical challenges of a Switch version but now not only is it not a problem but there's a Vita version too.

fortunato

Banned
Good to see Koei Tecmo put their money where their mouth is and announce an actual somewhat relevant new game for Switch.

Funny how there was apparently worries about the technical challenges of a Switch version but now not only is it not a problem but there's a Vita version too.

Koei Tecmo know that their business must be focused on multi-platform development. That's how they were able to succeed within the PlayStation environment: PS3/PSV first, then PS3/PSV/PS4, then PSV/PS4. Some franchises didn't decline as fast as they would have if only focusing one platform. Some franchises were even able to grow a bit. Now that PS3 and PSV are almost dead, Koei Tecmo need another platform to accompany PS4 entries, and Switch is reasonably the only one in Japan.

Top Bottom