• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Minutes of New Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Gameplay

KORNdoggy

what i'm seeing is what i was worried about. the combat looks terrible with no feedback at all when attacking enemies. you may as well be fighting air. and the bits in between, while looking graphically nice, don't seem to be very interesting to play.

i'm still kind of intrigued by the title, but i certainly ain't paying it's launch day asking price. i'll wait for a sale.

Mieu

It looks like Heavenly Sword is better in terms of combat.

But the gane releases soon, so we'll see. I hope it's good.

Looks visually good.

jmaine_ph

what i'm seeing is what i was worried about. the combat looks terrible with no feedback at all when attacking enemies. you may as well be fighting air. and the bits in between, while looking graphically nice, don't seem to be very interesting to play.

i'm still kind of intrigued by the title, but i certainly ain't paying it's launch day asking price. i'll wait for a sale.

While not the best I think the game has some pretty decent feedback. The smaller enemies had great feedback while he big guy reacted after taking several hits. For a small budget game that's going for $30, I think it looks justifiable and the visuals still look great.

MaLDo

I need perfect framerate to buy this game. Including those hitches where it seems to load the level after the doors.

Gurish

The smaller enemies do react though, it's only the big guy who stands still while getting hit.

taoofjord

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Where's the feedback?

Stygr

Banned
Combat system with no feedback, 3 or 4 type of attacks, the camera in that position in an action game is awful. Meh, the graphics are cool.

I don't think this is going to be anywhere near as good as DmC and Enslaved based on that footage.

It'll be better than Heavenly Sword though, so there's that.

KORNdoggy

The smaller enemies do react though, it's only the big guy who stands still while getting hit.

all enemies should react though. nothing she did paused or delayed it's animations or anything, she may as well have been hitting him with a feather it would have had the same results.

...plus the camera is too close in and the movement too clunky. heavenly sword...hell, enslaved! had better looking combat than this. but i knew that right from the beginning of development. what i was hoping for was the parts in between being more compelling. but even that looks dull.

i'll pick it up when it's a tenner on PSN or something.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
all enemies should react though. nothing she did paused or delayed it's animations or anything, she may as well have been hitting him with a feather it would have had the same results.

...plus the camera is too close in and the movement too clunky. heavenly sword...hell, enslaved! had better looking combat than this. but i knew that right from the beginning of development. what i was hoping for was the parts in between being more compelling. but even that looks dull.

i'll pick it up when it's a tenner on PSN or something.

If every hit staggered the boss then it'd be trivial. I see where you're coming from but the combat looks perfectly fine to me. Looking forward to playing it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Visually impressive and clever, but it really doesn't seem like it'd be much fun to play.

KORNdoggy

If every hit staggered the boss then it'd be trivial. I see where you're coming from but the combat looks perfectly fine to me. Looking forward to playing it.

who said every? there should be at least SOME feedback there though. instead she's basically pirouetting around an enemy that's randomly doing attack animations but having no impact on the scene at all. it's just gash.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Combat system with no feedback, 3 or 4 type of attacks, the camera in that position in an action game is awful. Meh, the graphics are cool.

The camera in that position can easily work as stuff like God Hand has shown but this doesn't appear to be anywhere near the level of God Hand, not that I was expecting that kind of quality either. I'll have to get my hands on it but I admit I'm not exactly feeling the combat from what I'm looking at. Its not even the lack of feed back but the actual gameplay itself doesn't look very interesting. Also the animations for stuff like the rolls look off, they're very quick and jerky.

Zeextremekid

Neo Member
Dunno if I'm just not seeing the intricacies of the combat, but man it looks boring. Like none of the attacks have any impact on the enemies, they are just punching bags with no visual response.

Could just be the person playing the game for the video of course. But I haven't been sold on this game at all.

Despera

Banned
Struggled to finish the clip. That's... not good.

Ever since the game's announcement I was hoping the focus on 1-on-1 combat would result in some interesting and fun gameplay. What was shown here was neither fun nor interesting :/

Stygr

Banned
The camera in that position can easily work as stuff like God Hand has shown but this doesn't appear to be anywhere near the level of God Hand, not that I was expecting that kind of quality either. I'll have to get my hands on it but I admit I'm not exactly feeling the combat from what I'm looking at. Its not even the lack of feed back but the actual gameplay itself doesn't look very interesting. Also the animations for stuff like the rolls look off, they're very quick and jerky.

They are pushing the graphical and narrative side more than the actual gameplay.

Ricky_R

What do you guys mean when you say there's no feedback? I mean, there are some attacks that cause no reaction (there's blood at least), but there are some that the enemies react nicely.

I don't know, combat doesn't look that bad to me. I'm no expert in these kind of games though.

I don't mind the combat, i actually kinda dig the fact that you have to respect every enemy move. Would be interested in trying it out if I ever get my hands on it.

But what bothers me for real is... literal pointless backtracking. So, only way to get forward is to go to that boat... and look back in the room you were in to make a ladder appear. That's like taking all those cases where you need to go to a room to press the switch to open the door... but removing all pretenses. You literally go forward a little than back, with no actual interraction with the world to make those changes.

Game is dark and gloomy, very pretty and atmospheric, with minimum hud, and Andy Serkis doing his best angry graspy voice.

And then during combat there is this fire works of bright blue glyphs all over the screen wtf. Not going to touch this.

Kazuhira

Game surely looks beautiful,which engine is this again? i hope it runs good on pc.
Combat seems serviceable,definitely better than the last time i saw it(thank god the fov was tweaked).
I haven't followed the game that much but is there any info about the combat system? Might buy it just for the eye candy-ness.
Also,i really like the animations during combat.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
who said every? there should be at least SOME feedback there though. instead she's basically pirouetting around an enemy that's randomly doing attack animations but having no impact on the scene at all. it's just gash.

Like this?

giphy.gif

Sure, there could be more, but as someone who's just come off 60 hours of Nioh, it doesn't look any worse than other games on the market. There actually looks to be more feedback than usual on smaller enemies.

i mean i don't think it looks THAT BAD but saying its perfectly fine is a stretch

'Perfectly fine'. Not the best I've ever seen, but also not terrible. Looks like straightforward fun.

Stygr

Banned
Game surely looks beautiful,which engine is this again? i hope it runs good on pc.
Combat seems serviceable,definitely better than the last time i saw it(thank god the fov was tweaked).
I haven't followed the game that much but is there any info about the combat system? Might buy it just for the eye candy-ness.
Also,i really like the animations during combat.

Unreal Engine 4, if they don't fuck up with the PC version, the game will be fine.
Nvidia just released drivers for Hellblade if you are interested.

Even though I am very excited about this game, the close camera in these kinds of games are always a concern. That and the slightly-off combat impact. Other than that, I think I will love this game

CHC

This looks a lot like Ryse: Son of Rome but taking place almost entirely in what look like dream sequences.

Unfortunately both of those are things that I strongly dislike, so.... maybe going to pass unless this gets rave reviews.

To cut & paste a comment I made in another topic:

Not entirely sure I'm a fan of what they're going for with the gameplay. The graphics and presentation are amazing, but the combat against the big guy looks pretty repetitive as he's really hard to stagger and her range of moves seems limited, unless perhaps there's a skill tree and it opens up later. And I know one of the core themes is tackling schizophrenia and mental health issues, but I'm not a fan of the voices whispering to her constantly and I strongly dislike the enemies just spawning in when she defeats the previous ones. Will probably need to see more but based on this I think I won't be pre-ordering.

Yeah I think I'll wait until it drops in price. Combat looks alright, graphics are pretty good.

Is it going run at 60fps on PS4?

JOKERACN7

Too much walking, a desperate attempt at making it cinematic and atmospheric, camera angle is kinda limited and finally, uninspiring,monotonous and run-of-the-mill combat

Too much walking, a desperate attempt at making it cinematic and atmospheric, camera angle is kinda limited and finally, uninspiring,monotonous and run-of-the-mill combat

It's not a desperate attempt, that's what the team was going for. Have you seen any of the dev diaries?

So, I was trying to remember what game this particular style of combat reminds me of, with consant, pretty much mandatory locking, this particular style of approach to dealing with multiple enemies, this level of danger from every potential enemy attack and having to respect anybody flanking you, even what seems like trash.

No, not Dark Souls... God Hand. Look to them side to side and tell me, the way game's basic actions flow, camera position, enemy behavior and intendend means of dealing with it don't look like baby's first, awkward and shallow god hand.

Top Bottom