• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Minutes of New Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Gameplay

brawly

I'm baffled by all these "add feedback, the enemies don't react" posts.

There is feedback. Even the big guy at the beginning reacts to the cuts every now and then. It would be incredibly simple to button mash if every cut staggered even the bigger enemies. This ain't no MMO.

My only dislike is the closeness of the camera out of combat.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
God Hand is a beat 'em up, similar to Anarchy Reigns. Way different than what this is going for.

The idea behind the gameplay is very similar including the camera placement. Just because its not a goofy and over the top style doesn't change that.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Few shit quality gifs of enemies reacting to hits, in case you didn't watch that far into the vid.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The weird thing is that games like Dark Souls have no real visual feedback for some enemies, and they're heavily praised for their combat.

Sound design is far more important.

Yeah that's what I mean. Nioh blows Souls combat out of the water but the big enemies (and smaller ones, to an extent) react the exact same way when you hit them.

This is giving The Order: 1886 vibes - technically stunning but rote, linear and heavily scripted throughout. Hope I'm wrong, but visuals like this rarely come without trade-offs.

Hope I'm wrong of course, the team seems really dedicated to the project and have clearly poured heart and soul into.

Sounds like my type of game tbh.

I liked the combat. It is methodical as a Soulslike, isn't?
Maybe it drags for too long, other than that I enjoyed.

NeoRaider

I liked what i saw, but it feels like enemies never die...

I dislike camera angle and FOV. I really hope that there is FOV slider in the game.

LordKasual

Banned
My only real issue is how terribly limiting the lock-on mechanic clearly is.

The camera position is one thing, but how she just locks onto a single enemy with another right on the side of her swinging is pretty silly looking. Especially for how weighty the combat feels. It takes the nice animations they have and just kind of makes them feel stiff by association with that rigid ass camera.

This game and God of War feels like it's just wasting its potential with this walking simulator "SUPER IMMERSION" angle.

But it's cheap, so i see no reason not to pick it up.

HStallion

Regardless the thing that separates Hellblade apart is it's slow pacing, atmosphere, and story, things that God Hand did not have.

I'm talking about the the actual gameplay and the close over the shoulder camera in relation to this. That's it. Again not talking about quality or visuals and I've said that several times now. Are you going to bring up that God Hand starred a man not a woman next?

SDCowboy

The combat looks...tiresome to me. Like, it looks like it takes too long.

Also, the hell is up with the camera position?

I'm talking about the gameplay and camera focus in relation to that. That's it. Again not talking about quality or visuals and I've said that several times now. Are you going to bring up that God Hand starred a man not a woman next?

Imo, both games are really different to me is all I'm saying.

HStallion

Imo, both games are really different to me is all I'm saying.

Yeah and the gameplay that is driving it is similar in style and idea to God Hand. I'm fairly sure the developers even mention it in their developer diary videos.

LordKasual

Banned
The weird thing is that games like Dark Souls have no real visual feedback for some enemies, and they're heavily praised for their combat.

Sound design is far more important.

This game's feedback looks amazing, honestly. Don't know where people are getting that from.

The issue with it on this game though is how the enemies are being heavily staggered, yet seemingly taking no damage, because she has to hack them like 20 times before they actually fall.

In Dark Souls, typically if you get hit and are sent flying, you're either about to die or already dead. Attacks that blow enemies away or stagger them heavily do a proportionate amount of damage.

So yeah the problem with the feedback on this game is that it's visually amazing, but from a gameplay perspective, it looks superficial.

Gbraga

I really enjoyed it, though I did think this combat section was a bit too long, we'll see how it goes in the final game.

The sound design is way too heavy handed, at least with headphones. The constant left right whipsering loses its mystique and gets annoying almost immediately. The general theme does give me a Soul Reaver spectral plane vibe though.

I think that's by design. These voices torment Senua, they're not just cool characters, they're making her life hell. I don't think it's an issue that they're annoying. It was also used in a very interesting way, gameplaywise. Having a voice telling you "behind you" to prevent you from getting unfairly hit from an out of camera attack seems to be a pretty clever design choice that fits the game's themes.

It's kinda insane how little know-how they seem to have retained from DmC. Are the combat designers from that game working on this one at all?

Rahni Tucker is the combat designer for DmC, and I don't think she's involved in this game. She was directing the Definitive Edition while Hellblade was already in production, so I'm assuming she's directing one of the other 3 projects they have going on at the moment. I hope I'm right, she obviously has a ton of potential, at least as far as action games are concerned.

I liked how they worked voices in your head into hey that means you can be attacked from all sides because one of the voices can warn you on the other hand the mental environment of the protoganist is so similar to mine it makes me wonder if I am schizophreniac.

The combat looks...fine?

I'm not sure what people were expecting. Ninja Theory have come out and said that the combat was not the main focus of the game.

How are more people not talking about the horrendous camera angle/location? The character blocks almost half the damn screen.

It looks like a standard OTS camera. The FOV along with character distance looks fine.

It's hardly RE6 levels of zoomed in camera.

SDCowboy

How are more people not talking about the horrendous camera angle/location? The character blocks almost half the damn screen.

Gbraga

This game's feedback looks amazing, honestly. Don't know where people are getting that from.

The issue with it on this game though is how the enemies are being heavily staggered, yet seemingly taking no damage, because she has to hack them like 20 times before they actually fall.

In Dark Souls, typically if you get hit and are sent flying, you're either about to die or already dead. Attacks that blow enemies away or stagger them heavily do a proportionate amount of damage.

So yeah the problem with the feedback on this game is that it's visually amazing, but from a gameplay perspective, it looks superficial.

This is a good point, and I feel like an interesting way to solve both this and the "combat takes too long" issues would be adding a difficulty mode in the vein of KH's Critical Mode. You can deal quite a bit of damage, but you'll also die very quickly. It may even intensify Senua's fragility, which is something they want to convey through the story already.

By making it an optional mode, they don't have to fear negative feedback due to people complaining that you die too fast.

Enemies taking damage that looks proportionate to the animation feedback would be great for this no-HUD style of gameplay, and would make fights end quickly, while also having you on the edge of your seat all the way through them, which would also make them feel even faster.

SDCowboy

It looks like a standard OTS camera. The FOV along with character distance looks fine.

It's hardly RE6 levels of zoomed in camera.

It doesn't even really look like full OTS to me (maybe I'm wrong). The camera looks to often be around butt level. It seems especially bad during combat.

Arklite

I think that's by design. These voices torment Senua, they're not just cool characters, they're making her life hell. I don't think it's an issue that they're annoying. It was also used in a very interesting way, gameplaywise. Having a voice telling you "behind you" to prevent you from getting unfairly hit from an out of camera attack seems to be a pretty clever design choice that fits the game's themes.

I'm sure of the bolded, but the frequency and pitch is too high. You can convey the same effect without it becoming grating. The incessant left/right balance shift in particular takes it from an atmospheric piece to a gimmick.

Anyway, the combat looks OK for a cinematic game. Dodging, blocking, a parry, a stunning knee, and a meter with some different runes probably relating to powers, of which we only saw bullet time. The parry barely gives you much reward though, and the player relies on chopping down the lumbering health tanks through frequent bullet time.

DrZeus

Eh game looks ok. Very linear and combat doesn't seem to have depth. Was that a puzzle technically? I just wish Sony license platinum for a Heavenly Sword sequel.

It doesn't even really look like OTS. The camera looks to often be around butt level. It seems especially bad during combat.

I don't know, I think it looks fine.

This kind of camera would be shit if it had a low FOV, but it doesn't. You can even see how the camera switches to a wider view after combat ends, giving the player a greater view distance when they explore the environment.

killroy87

Weird that Ninja Theory would make a game with such basic looking combat. That said, the graphics are gorgeous, and the price is right, so I'll probably pick this up.

LordKasual

Banned
This is a good point, and I feel like an interesting way to solve both this and the "combat takes too long" issues would be adding a difficulty mode in the vein of KH's Critical Mode. You can deal quite a bit of damage, but you'll also die very quickly. It may even intensify Senua's fragility, which is something they want to convey through the story already.

By making it an optional mode, they don't have to fear negative feedback due to people complaining that you die too fast.

Enemies taking damage that looks proportionate to the animation feedback would be great for this no-HUD style of gameplay, and would make fights end quickly, while also having you on the edge of your seat all the way through them, which would also make them feel even faster.

Yeah, honestly combat that looks this weighty and realistic would heavily benefit from a more Bushido Blade style damage system, where getting hit once or twice basically kills you, so the majority of fighting is actually just parries and dodges.

If my character is weighty and sluggish, yet it still takes 10 clean body strikes with a sword to drop some guy, what's the point? You might as well just let me double jump and air combo then, because this combat isn't fooling anyone with being realistic lol

SDCowboy

I don't know, I think it looks fine.

This kind of camera would be shit if it had a low FOV, but it doesn't. You can even see how the camera switches to a wider view after combat ends, giving the player a greater view distance when they explore the environment.

I guess I just wish the camera was zoomed out more, and stayed there.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
That's exactly what Hellblade wants to be, but being sold at half the price makes the trade off more reasonable. Assuming the story is better than The Order.

Fair point - personally speaking, I think TO's issues were more considerable than a lack of value proposition. Even at £19.99, I would've still felt it was a pretty but forgettable experience.

I think that's what I get from this snippet.

GavinUK86

Looks incredible and exactly what I was hoping for. The voice work at the end was phenomenal. I love that they're using binaural audio for the different voices in her head.

I cannot wait to play this in a dark room with headphones. Gonna be an insane experience.

SMH, no hit feedback at all. It's like swinging at air.

Found another video of a boss battle where it's even worse.

Hard pass on this amateur shlock.

Too bad they aren't SSM. They will never measure up to God of War with this pleb budget and team, which is exactly what they where trying and failing to do here since they've always said that the focus was on over the top combat... Also --> This vid. How anybody can listen to that and not think GoW... I don't know man. Bonus if you noticed the vomit inducing hit detection in that video too.

Raptor

That had to be a boss right?

No health bars that I can see.

she takes hits and its interrupted by some distorted camera and stuff.

They take too many slashes, thats not good.

Few shit quality gifs of enemies reacting to hits, in case you didn't watch that far into the vid.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yeah that's what I mean. Nioh blows Souls combat out of the water but the big enemies (and smaller ones, to an extent) react the exact same way when you hit them.

Are the enemies made of clouds?! SMH

How do they get away with this?

Whats going on with the "the enemies don't react on hits!" talk? Lol.
That's not true at all.
Looks like solid / standard hit reaction, or staggering on the big enemies.

Nothing special, but also nothing wrong with it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So 4 of the 10 minutes is spent fighting the same enemy and performing the same combat moves, many of which don't offer much feedback as to their effectiveness?

Top Bottom