• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy Moore and the white Alabama voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever heard of Bill Clinton

Yes, this thread is funny when you think the US had a president who used to fly on the fucking lolita express.

Don't want to support pedophiles ? Stop voting. Republicans or Democrats, it doesn't matter.

The political world is infested with predators. It's nothing new really...

The problem I have with this is that it suggests something is unique about white people that makes them prone to bad decisions en masse.
Yes? It’s called racism. How else can you explain poor white folks put out of work voting for candidates who want to lower corporate taxes?

No other working class group does this lol

appaws

Banned
So they’re not credible and verified? This statement that flies right in the face of facts is your position? Grow a brain.

The way people like Zog and appaws talk about these types of accusations is so illuminating. It’s almost like they’re defending themselves and not the person in question.

You should learn that it is possible to make a post disagreeing with someone without dropping personal insults or weird allusions.

Accusations are just that, accusations. Yes, some guilty people will face public retribution. But also, there will be innocent people destroyed because they are on the wrong side of a he said/she said that fits into a media narrative of the moment.

It is a difficult situation for democratic government when weaponized accusations that don't require a legal standard of proof will decide many elections. Al Franken and Roy Moore are just the beginning.

You should learn that it is possible to make a post disagreeing with someone without dropping personal insults or weird allusions.

Accusations are just that, accusations. Yes, some guilty people will face public retribution. But also, there will be innocent people destroyed because they are on the wrong side of a he said/she said that fits into a media narrative of the moment.

It is a difficult situation for democratic government when weaponized accusations that don't require a legal standard of proof will decide many elections. Al Franken and Roy Moore are just the beginning.

What part of verified and credible do you not understand. The press isn’t running just any story. They fact and timeline check to ensure the accusations make sense. If any of them were bullshit it would be easy to hit them with libel suits. Why do you think this hasn’t happened.

pramod

Banned
The most racist people on this planet are actually Japanese and Koreans, you know they abort any mix-raced babies in North Korea, but I guess that's for another topic...

^The whataboutism is strong with this one. Why would that be relevant in a thread about racism among white Alabamans? We already know that racism exists all over the world. Does racism in the east nullify western racism similar to the balancing of scales?

But her emails

sans_pants

avec_pénis
The most racist people on this planet are actually Japanese and Koreans, you know they abort any mix-raced babies in North Korea, but I guess that's for another topic...

yeah sure white people are racist, but why aren't we talking about the other people that are even more racist?

pramod

Banned
yeah sure white people are racist, but why aren't we talking about the other people that are even more racist?

It's always helpful to have some perspective. I'm sure even the most racist Alabaman is still less racist than the average Japanese or Korean.

Wanting lower corporate taxes makes you a racist, holy fucking shit.
You’re not very smart are you? Corporate tax cuts are completely against the interests of the working class. So is every other republican economic plan. So why are working class whites voting for them? Perhaps they have other interests the GOP are meeting.

where are these people?

appaws

Banned
It's always helpful to have some perspective. I'm sure even the most racist Alabaman is still less racist than the average Japanese or Korean.

All human beings are "racist" to a certain extent, or at least tribal.

I mean, the Harvard sociologist Robert Putnam almost didn't publish part of his own book because he was so dismayed with the findings that people who live in diverse areas are less happy, less trusting, and have less social capital than those who live in areas that are ethnically monolithic.

There is a deep seated fear of the "other" in human beings. We all have to work to overcome it and judge people as individuals.

Alabamans are no more deserving of the sneers of our urban cognoscenti than anyone else.

sans_pants

avec_pénis

"its fine, because they arent as racist as these other people" isnt a useful perspective. it's obfuscating the issue

Nice to see that I’m juniored. I guess the mod team didn’t consider the optics of silencing the most prominent black voice on NeoGAF while ignoring those who defend pedophiles.

Bolivar687

Banned
You’re not very smart are you? Corporate tax cuts are completely against the interests of the working class. So is every other republican economic plan. So why are working class whites voting for them? Perhaps they have other interests the GOP are meeting.

All economic plans advanced by both parties are against the interests of the working class.

Not everyone shares your view of economic goals, not everyone buys the left batshit stupid idea of distribution of wealth and how to achieve it, the marxist perspective of the "working class" isn't as commonly accepted as you seem to think, but more than anything, and this might surprise you, people having different political views might mean anything other than them being a racist. I tried to remain civil with you and I haven't used any kind of personal attack and I must ask you to do the same to me. Not calling you dense isn't easy for me too.

Come out and say what you mean, don't dillydally. What are these "interests" white people seem to have?

Kapsama

Why not both though? Moore is a despicable people, but the outcome doesn't make any kind of statement of "white people". Moore being a moron doesn't mean this isn't a moronic thread.

Notice how I said that they're MORE mad at the thread starter. The two shouldn't be even anywhere close on the upset making scale. Someone accusing a group of racism versus a creep who preyed on teenage girls, sexually molested them, wants to make homosexuality illegal, doesn't want Muslims in Congress and fondly recalls pre 1860s America.

Did he confirm that he was a statutory rapist, or was he just accused?

Its funny we get an exact quote on Moore about the slavery answer, but only a blurb about the question. Why is there no quote stating the exact question? If the question was about America being great during slavery, his answer could be appropriate, but we don't even know what the exact question was

Yes actually he did confirm it when he said that he never dated them without their mother's approval. Also It's not up to the perpetrator to confirm their crimes. Otherwise out prisons would be empty.

Credible witnesses with a history of voting Republican, lifelong Journalists, former colleagues at the DA, mall officials etc. have all corroborated the story. What more are you asking for?

You said the 8 claims were verified though. Who verified the claims?

Witnesses, Journalists, Mall Officials, Colleagues at the DA office that served with Moore.

Most black people that might even agree with conservatives on many issues just aren't going to vote republican because they don't want to be labeled as anti-black, or for racists by their community.

Or maybe the religious and economic beliefs a minority share with Republicans are by far outweighed by Republican efforts to take away Black voting rights, economic and educational opportunities for the Black community, taking away healthcare access from many less well off Blacks.

I thought Republicans just passed the test. They didn't elect Roy Moore. Why is everyone still so upset?

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and with a lot at stake will Democrats pass the same test? I mean they voted for Bill Clinton twice.

Are you really comparing the 90s to today? Al Franken was just forced out by the Democrats for grabbing the asses of several women and taking a lewd video.

The RNC and Trump went to bat for a confirmed teenage girl molester and 67% of white people (all Republicans btw) voted for him.

Yes, this thread is funny when you think the US had a president who used to fly on the fucking lolita express.

Don't want to support pedophiles ? Stop voting. Republicans or Democrats, it doesn't matter.

The political world is infested with predators. It's nothing new really...

The Democratic party just forced out a super popular senator and a congressman for allegations. To compare the Dems to the Republicans on this issue is asinine.

The 90s aren't the 2010s. A lot has changed in terms of women's rights in society since then. But the Republicans are behaving like it's still 1992.

Both sides are just as bad.

No they're not. Not even close.

Wanting lower corporate taxes makes you a racist, holy fucking shit.

If hurting yourself is worth it as long as the minority suffers more, then yes that makes you a racist.

Why would it not stay open? I thought they only ban right-wing trolls around here.

Defending Roy Moore as innocent is not being a right wing troll?

Not everyone shares your view of economic goals, not everyone buys the left batshit stupid idea of distribution of wealth and how to achieve it, the marxist perspective of the "working class" isn't as commonly accepted as you seem to think, but more than anything, and this might surprise you, people having different political views might mean anything other than them being a racist. I tried to remain civil with you and I haven't used any kind of personal attack and I must ask you to do the same to me. Not calling you dense isn't easy for me too.

Come out and say what you mean, don't dillydally. What are these "interests" white people seem to have?

So poor/working class people don’t want to move up the ladder? What economic goals do they have then? You think they go to bed hoping and praying that things will get better for people who have more money than they will ever have in their lifetime?

White working class people are persuaded against economic policies that uplift them through racism. Obamacare is bad because it’s Obama’s doing. Welfare is bad because “lazy black people” benefit. Free/debt-free college is bad because “illegal immigrants” benefit. Ask yourself why Medicaid, Medicare, and social security are such coveted programs despite the fact that they are welfare/wealth distribution before telling me that poor whites are not racist but simply principled against “Marxism” LMFAO

The top predictors of trump support:

Belief Obama is a Muslim born outside the USA
High racial resentment score

But no, they just have alternative views on how to extricate poor/working class folk from their situation

If hurting yourself is worth it as long as the minority suffers more, then yes that makes you a racist.

Honest question here, do you actually think anyone votes thinking to themselves "this will hurt me and it's against my interests, but I'm going to do it anyway because fuck black people"? Even if they do it at a subconscious level, do you think anyone that realizes he's getting fucked by the system is going to vote for the system because they really dislike black people? Do you think that is more reasonable than people voting for what they perceive as their best interest?

So poor/working class people don't want to move up the ladder? What economic goals do they have then? You think they go to bed hoping and praying that things will get better for people who have more money than they will ever have in their lifetime?

White working class people are persuaded against economic policies that uplift them through racism. Obamacare is bad because it's Obama's doing. Welfare is bad because ”lazy black people" benefit. Free/debt-free college is bad because ”illegal immigrants" benefit. Ask yourself why Medicaid, Medicare, and social security are such coveted programs despite the fact that they are welfare/wealth distribution before telling me that poor whites are not racist but simply principled against ”Marxism" LMFAO

I don't feel like I need to explain laissez-fair capitalism to you, or that when you raise corporate tax too high you risk corporations fucking bailing on your ass, or that people aren't against "moving up the ladder" but rather that they are against economic interventionism. I think you're already aware of that but you choose to disregard it anyways because the only explanation for a different political inclination is racism.

Let me ask you something, do you think white people elected Donald Trump to fuck with black people? If white people are so dead set on screwing black people and they are powerful enough to elect the president of the United States to that purpose, why are we still seeing some social progress on that end (granted the problem is far from solved, but it's arguably getting better or at the very least it isn't getting worse)? Isn't that counterintuitive?

Zog

Banned
The way people like Zog and appaws talk about these types of accusations is so illuminating. It's almost like they're defending themselves and not the person in question.

This is unnecessary and I officially ask a mod to look at this post. Not wanting to label someone who has not been found guilty in a court of law does not make me guilty of anything.

The American corporate tax rate is average relative to the rest of the world’s and the effective tax rate is even lower than that. Not to mention that the economy has been improving for several years now with consistent job growth. Find a better excuse.

And I don’t think they vote with a specific intention, but rather just responding to the emotions the republicans stir up in them. They’re very good at crafting moral panics.

Honest question here, do you actually think anyone votes thinking to themselves "this will hurt me and it's against my interests, but I'm going to do it anyway because fuck black people"? Even if they do it at a subconscious level, do you think anyone that realizes he's getting fucked by the system is going to vote for the system because they really dislike black people? Do you think that is more reasonable than people voting for what they perceive as their best interest?

I don't feel like I need to explain laissez-fair capitalism to you, or that when you raise corporate tax too high you risk corporations fucking bailing on your ass, or that people aren't against "moving up the ladder" but rather that they are against economic interventionism. I think you're already aware of that but you choose to disregard it anyways because the only explanation for a different political inclination is racism.

Let me ask you something, do you think white people elected Donald Trump to fuck with black people? If white people are so dead set on screwing black people and they are powerful enough to elect the president of the United States to that purpose, why are we still seeing some social progress on that end (granted the problem is far from solved, but it's arguably getting better or at the very least it isn't getting worse)? Isn't that counterintuitive?

People do not want hands off economics, or less intervention. 90% of Trump voters don't actually want that. They like mixed economies because it has given them more advantages and prosperity, and want nothing resembling what was going on even 100 years ago. They want lower taxes but still want the services.

The problem? The southern strategy has been a cultural wrecking ball filled to the brim with manipulations and falsehoods. It's why they hate globalization due to job losses in certain industries that they are employed in, but corporations need governments to create standardized/advantaged trading rules to aid expansion around the world and offer cheaper domestic prices.

It's why they want to sacrifice food stamps, but still use them heavily.

daman824

This thread is illuminating and really says a lot about the state of this forum.

I'm white, and grew up in a majority white community. I've seen and heard incredibly racist things on a regular basis. I find it insane that a lot of people in this thread are getting so up in arms about what the OP was saying when there are huge issues with racism in our communities. It's not isolated to Alabama, it's everywhere.

Who cares about how racist "every one else" is. They don't have the power. They don't elect someone like Trump because they're upset the last president was black. Also, other races are punished for their racism. They're punished way more than white people. Roy Moore is racist, openely homophobic, admitted to dating 17 year olds when he was in his late 30's, and raped a 14 year old. There isn't a single state in this country where a poc politician could get away with that. Yet white people voted for him and Trump encouraged everyone to do so. Trump openly admitted to grabbing women "by the pussy" without asking. To kissing them without asking. He's fine with calling his daughter a piece of ass, and he was previously taken to court for discriminating against minorities. Yet he's now the president. White politicians make successful careers out of hating minorities.

I know that the other white posters on this forum are fully aware of what goes on in their families, workplaces, and communities. Yet they get so defensive when a minority calls it out.

Zog

Banned
This thread is illuminating and really says a lot about the state of this forum.

I'm white, and grew up in a majority white community. I've seen and heard incredibly racist things on a regular basis. I find it insane that a lot of people in this thread are getting so up in arms about what the OP was saying when there are huge issues with racism in our communities. It's not isolated to Alabama, it's everywhere.

Who cares about how racist "every one else" is. They don't have the power. They don't elect someone like Trump because they're upset the last president was black. Also, other races are punished for their racism. They're punished way more than white people. Roy Moore is racist, openely homophobic, admitted to dating 17 year olds when he was in his late 30's, and raped a 14 year old. There isn't a single state in this country where a poc politician could get away with that. Yet white people voted for him and Trump encouraged everyone to do so. Trump openly admitted to grabbing women "by the pussy" without asking. To kissing them without asking. He's fine with calling his daughter a piece of ass, and he was previously taken to court for discriminating against minorities. Yet he's now the president. White politicians make successful careers out of hating minorities.

I know that the other white posters on this forum are fully aware of what goes on in their families, workplaces, and communities. Yet they get so defensive when a minority calls it out.

People who are not racist don't appreciate being lumped in with people who are. To generalize about an entire race is not defensible.

daman824

People who are not racist don't appreciate being lumped in with people who are. To generalize about an entire race is not defensible.
Most white people are racist though. And if they aren't, they certainly benefit from it.

Take me for example. My grandparents are incredibly racist. Yet I still go to their house over the holidays, accept their gifts, and will take the money they give me when they die. Did I ask to have them as my grandparents? no, but that's not the point. I'm benefiting from them and the systems put in place that give me an edge. The least I can do is empathize with a minority who generalizes about my race.

When a black man generalizes about white people, what's the worst that could happen? We have all the power. When a white man generalizes about black people, it further entrenches that racism in society. That white man making generalizations is more likely to have the power to mess with other peoples lives. They elect the politicians, they make the laws.

A black man calling you cracker is nothing compared to you calling him a n*****. The history behind the words and the power at play isn't even comparable. For those same reasons, it's not that big of an issue when someone complains about "white people" on an internet forum.

Hell, all white people aren't overtly "blacks should get in line" racist. But pretty much every white community has these issues. If you aren't racist, then work towards dealing with the issues.

Ubername

Banned
Most white people are racist though. And if they aren't, they certainly benefit from it.

We're all the same and saying white people are more inclined to be racist, is just as racist as any other sweeping generalization about people of a particular color.

JordanN

Banned
America takes race too seriously. Both Dems and Republicans.

Idealistically, I rather ditch the "black vs white" grouping and just focus on improving America as a whole.

But wait, I know what you're about to say. "But Jordan, whites hold all the power. And the whites who back the Republicans know this and aren't willing to give that up".

True, but they can't stop you from building your own communities, building your own wealth, and compete with them so that you can actually win them over monetarily or have enough influence to challenge them.

But I know another thing you're about to say "But the poor don't have equal opportunities to raise themselves and compete". Not true. Again, being poor doesn't stop you from banding together with similar people and work together to become successful. This is why I cherish freedom of movement. People should be allowed to live anywhere in order to always find prosperity.

daman824

We're all the same and saying white people are more inclined to be racist, is just as racist as any other sweeping generalization about people of a particular color.
That's not what I said. I'd appreciate if you responded to my actual point or not at all. Thanks.

RefigeKru

Banned

Idealistically, I rather ditch the "black vs white" grouping and just focus on improving America as a whole.

But wait, I know what you're about to say. "But Jordan, whites hold all the power. And the whites who back the Republicans know this and aren't willing to give that up".

True, but they can't stop you from building your own communities, building your own wealth, and compete with them so that you can actually win them over monetarily or have enough influence to challenge them.

But I know another thing you're about to say "But the poor don't have equal opportunities to raise themselves and compete". Not true. Again, being poor doesn't stop you from banding together with similar people and work together to become successful. This is why I cherish freedom of movement. People should be allowed to live anywhere in order to always find prosperity.

I thought you hated socialism.

daman824

But they do have less opportunities. If they didn't, don't you think the things you're suggesting would have already happened?

-"that can't stop you from building your own communities, building your own wealth"

Gee you're the first person who's ever thought of that. If only minorities would just listen huh?

JordanN

Banned
I thought you hated socialism.
???

A strong component of libertarianism/ancap are social contracts. Exchanging voluntary services with each other has nothing to do with socialism.

Socialism is more closer to the democrats position on race, i.e, make the government directly intervene or establish laws around race.

daman824

I read your post and took issue with the part I quoted, which you did say. And save your insincere gratitude for a place that values your pretense
Could you point out where I said white people are more inclined to be racist? Because I certainly didn't in that quote.

JordanN

Banned
But they do have less opportunities. If they didn't, don't you think the things you're suggesting would have already happened?

-"that can't stop you from building your own communities, building your own wealth"

Gee you're the first person who's ever thought of that. If only minorities would just listen huh?

Please don't twist my words.

Nothing of what I said is meant to disenfranchise minorities. Quite the opposite.

I'm saying it's better for the government to not act as a beneficiary for either race.
Republican party violates that because they put white interests above others.
Democratic party violates that because they do the same but for non-whites.

Government should be neutral, leading to empowered societies popping up on their own because they are neither made to be dependent or directly being oppressed by said government,

People do not want hands off economics, or less intervention. 90% of Trump voters don't actually want that. They like mixed economies because it has given them more advantages and prosperity, and want nothing resembling what was going on even 100 years ago. They want lower taxes but still want the services.

The problem? The southern strategy has been a cultural wrecking ball filled to the brim with manipulations and falsehoods. It's why they hate globalization due to job losses in certain industries that they are employed in, but corporations need governments to create standardized/advantaged trading rules to aid expansion around the world and offer cheaper domestic prices.

It's why they want to sacrifice food stamps, but still use them heavily.

Of course people want the best scenario where they don't have to pay for shit while keeping all of the advantages, but I have to question this 90% number since 1- the average person really doesn't understand how economy works so he has a lot of conflicting interests and 2- I think you made up that number anyway lol.

I don't think the problem is the "southern strategy". There is no problem really, right wing politics isn't just "hating blacks and keeping them down" or whatever shit like that, being conservative when it comes to economic policy perspective is a thing, it's not a subconscious way to be fucking racist. When you want lower taxes and subsequently less regulation on businesses leading to a much more controlled government spending, you are not being manipulated into that due to some shady conspiratory reasons because wanting those things I mentioned by itself is very reasonable.

Corporations don't need governments to do anything, they take advantage when the governments fuck it up by meddling in things they shouldn't be meddling in. And the food stamps example is like people asking someone who identifies as a communist why they don't live in Cuba.

daman824

Please don't twist my words.

Nothing of what I said is meant to disenfranchise minorities. Quite the opposite.

I'm saying it's better for the government to not act as a beneficiary for either race.
Republican party violates that because they put white interests above others.
Democratic party violates that because they do the same but for non-whites.

Government should be neutral, leading to empowered societies popping up on their own because they are neither made to be dependent or directly being oppressed by said government,
I never said you're trying to disenfranchise minorities. I'm saying that you're not the first person to have ever thought of that. In fact, plenty of minorities have thought of doing the things you suggested and plenty have tried. The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to do so for reasons that have already been pointed out in this thread.

I disagree with your beliefs on the governments role on race. For example, the Civil Rights Act was passed by the government and I believe it was a pretty good use of the governments power.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member

All Republicans are racist. That's just the way it is.

Please avoid this kind of dismissive partisan stereotyping.

It isn't conducive to real discussion between distinct viewpoints. We'd like you to consider acting as you would in mixed company in a real world social setting when discussing politics or social issues.

JordanN

Banned
In fact, plenty of minorities have thought of doing the things you suggested and plenty have tried. The problem is that it's incredibly difficult to do so for reasons that have already been pointed out in this thread.

In what way?

America is a huge country. There are business opportunities around every corner. The idea of small businesses/communities growing themselves up only to fail is absurd, when the country was founded on immigrants who had nothing but the clothes on their backs.

daman824 said:
I disagree with your beliefs on the governments role on race. For example, the civil rights act was passed by the government.
It was also government that passed laws that discriminated against non-whites.

daman824

In what way?

America is a huge country. There are business opportunities around every corner. The idea of small businesses/communities growing themselves up only to fail is absurd, when the country was founded on immigrants who had nothing but the clothes on their backs.

It was also government that passed laws that discriminated against non-whites.
I think it's hard for communities to come together and pool their resources if they don't have much to pool together. Again, if what you're suggesting is so easy or even really possible, then why hasn't it happened yet? It sounds nice to say that the African American community should just come together and become a major economic and political powerhouse. But that would be a really difficult thing to do in this country. There are some good examples of what you're saying though, black wall street would be one, you should look it up.

And yes, it is possible for the government to pass laws that hurt minorities. They've passed plenty. And they'll probably pass more. That doesn't mean they should stop passing laws that deal with race altogether, it means they should stop passing harmful ones.

You're basically saying that African Americans should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps. I believe the issue is a bit more complex than that. The fact that the Civil Rights Act even had to be passed should be proof of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom