• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roy Moore and the white Alabama voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zok310

Banned
Its more repubs than white people, the repubs are all about party over country, very despicable party.

You might be surprised to find that most probably didnt vote Moore on the basis of 'because fuck blacks' but because of deeply seeded religious beliefs, misguided beliefs that for whatever reason Republicans will bring jobs and shit like 'mah guns!!'

Of course some also likely voted Republicans because they hate blacks and minorities, but assuming all votes for Republicans come back to hating blacks and other minorities is more than a little ignorant.

It doesn’t matter to black people why a white person would vote for an anti black candidate. The action is all the same.

Zog

Banned
What's the story with this pedophile stuff. Did he admit to it? Was he convicted of it?

Can't tell if this is a flawed argument or a troll.

Regardless, keep attacking people that you feel are afraid of you and you want to have support your political causes. I'm sure that will have fantastic results, especially when targets you are attacking have major overlap within your own voting bloc.

There's an argument in the thread about Republicans doing party over country, but frankly I think that's happening with both our parties in the race to define who is the scummiest of scum. I predict the next administration will be "removing Trump's legacy" as sort of a vindication on what Trump has tried to do with Obama's.

I think back to First Lady Obama's "When they go low, we go high", statement. I wish that's what we did. As a whole, Democrats don't seem to be going high. We just seem to be getting pulled down into deep along with them, caring about tweets, hurling insults back and forth, including copying those sponsored by the rightists; even copying Trump's incoherent style of writing, calling everyone and anything that moves racist, and so forth. Our Democratic Senators and Representatives aren't really putting forward solutions to get shot down; they just get caught up in the fray of attacks. We barely seem any better.

Kapsama

NeoGaf posters more mad at the thread starter for insulting white people, than the white people in Alabama who voted for a confirmed statutory rapist who thinks homosexuality should be illegal and that America was last great when Slavery was still around.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
"The case against white people".... SMFH.

Roy Moore is an awful person but when you generalize a whole race like that you aren't much better.

NeoGaf posters more mad at the thread starter for insulting white people, than the white people in Alabama who voted for a confirmed statutory rapist who thinks homosexuality should be illegal and that America was last great when Slavery was still around.

Why not both though? Moore is a despicable people, but the outcome doesn't make any kind of statement of "white people". Moore being a moron doesn't mean this isn't a moronic thread.

Moneal

Did he confirm that he was a statutory rapist, or was he just accused?

Its funny we get an exact quote on Moore about the slavery answer, but only a blurb about the question. Why is there no quote stating the exact question? If the question was about America being great during slavery, his answer could be appropriate, but we don't even know what the exact question was

appaws

Banned
What's the story with this pedophile stuff. Did he admit to it? Was he convicted of it?

Hyperbole and partisanship. And it worked. Weaponizing accusations of sexual misconduct is going to be a trend in American politics (by both sides) now for years going forward.

Moneal

Right. Can these people wake up? Southern African Americans are just as religious if not more than southern whites

But they didn't run to the polls to vote for a pedophile. Why?

Because black conservatives are called naive, self hating, co-opted, uncle tom, coon, or worse by Black leaders and the community. Its hard to identify as part of a group when you would be attacked personally. Ive seen it on many occasions in my own family and even on this board. That doesn't even take into account that the community spouts the whole racist republican angle. Most black people that might even agree with conservatives on many issues just aren't going to vote republican because they don't want to be labeled as anti-black, or for racists by their community.

Because black conservatives are called naive, self hating, co-opted, uncle tom, coon, or worse by Black leaders and the community. Its hard to identify as part of a group when you would be attacked personally. Ive seen it on many occasions in my own family and even on this board.
You’re right. 90+% of black people are voting for one party in fear of being called names

Hyperbole and partisanship. And it worked. Weaponizing accusations of sexual misconduct is going to be a trend in American politics (by both sides) now for years going forward.
What the hell is your problem? 8 women came forward with credible, verified claims. If you don’t want sexual misconduct weaponized against you, don’t engage in sexual misconduct. It’s that simple.

Zog

Banned
What the hell is your problem? 8 women came forward with credible, verified claims. If you don’t want sexual misconduct weaponized against you, don’t engage in sexual misconduct. It’s that simple.

8 verified claims? Verified by who and why isn't this person on trial if the claims are verified?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Why focus on the negative. The important thing is that Alabama did not vote for Roy Moore.

Focus on the positive. We need it for 2018.

You said the 8 claims were verified though. Who verified the claims?

The press?

There were several intentionally false claims right wing organizations threw at the media in hopes they would run them and damage their credibility, but they were all exposed. Just goes to show how rigorous the press was in performing their due diligence.

Moneal

You’re right. 90+% of black people are voting for one party in fear of being called names

Its not that they are afraid of being called names, its that they don't even think to examine the other side in any meaningful way, due to the rhetoric. Why would anyone look at people like Larry Elder, David Clarke, or other black conservatives to see what they are saying, when they are called uncle toms or coons.

Its not that they are afraid of being called names, its that they don't even think to examine the other side in any meaningful way, due to the rhetoric. Why would anyone look at people like Larry Elder, David Clarke, or other black conservatives to see what they are saying, when they are called uncle toms or coons.

Just stop. Black people aren’t dumb. They know what the other side is saying and they don’t like it.

Zog

Banned
The press?

There were several intentionally false claims right wing organizations threw at the media in hopes they would run them and damage their credibility, but they were all exposed. Just goes to show how rigorous the press was in performing their due diligence.

So if it weren't for the statute of limitations, you believe that there is enough evidence to convict?

DEATH™

Just stop. Black people aren’t dumb. They know what the other side is saying and they don’t like it.

Agree on first part, disagree on second part. Blacks get called Uncle Toms for being conservative.

But then, its not just blacks tho. Women are also called names for not voting on blue lines. Same as Hispanics.

Moneal

The ones I have spoken to don't know or care what the other side are saying. I never said they were dumb. I said they don't take the time to listen to someone the leaders of their community say are racists or coons.

So if it weren't for the statute of limitations, you believe that there is enough evidence to convict?

I don’t know? We haven’t seen all the evidence. And this kind of thing is incredibly hard to prove to courtroom standards anyway.

Why are you so invested in protecting a pedophile?

daman824

I mean, come the fuck on. This is some disgusting shit. Moore is a racist, sexist, homophobic piece of trash. A ton of women came out against him, the press did their homework and found the story’s to be most likely true.

Moore himself admitted to dating 17-18 year olds when he was in his mid/late 30’s. Dude was a fucking creep. And the white people in Alabama should be ashamed.

Honestly, and I know the mod suggested against this, but we all should be. I’m white and I know exactly the sentiments that caused this. If you’re white, and live in a white community, you should too. This kind of stuff comes up. Our job should be to put it down when it does.

The ones I have spoken to don't know or care what the other side are saying. I never said they were dumb. I said they don't take the time to listen to someone the leaders of their community say are racists or coons.

You must be pushing this point is because you think there is something lost in the black community avoiding the Republican Party. Do you think black people have legitimate reasons to be voting for republicans? A party whose strategy is to decrease black turnout as much as possible?

Zog

Banned
I don’t know? We haven’t seen all the evidence. And this kind of thing is incredibly hard to prove to courtroom standards anyway.

Why are you so invested in protecting a pedophile?

I am invested in learning why you are calling him a pedophile since he hasn't been convicted. You should call him an alleged pedophile.

I am invested in learning why you are calling him a pedophile since he hasn't been convicted. You should call him an alleged pedophile.

Richard Nixon was never convicted so I guess he isn’t guilty of anything either. It’s all just allegations, right? LOL

You’re defending a pedophile btw

Zog

Banned
Richard Nixon was never convicted so I guess he isn’t guilty of anything either. It’s all just allegations, right? LOL

You’re defending a pedophile btw

I just believe that before you label someone, it should be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

pramod

Banned
I thought Republicans just passed the test. They didn't elect Roy Moore. Why is everyone still so upset?

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and with a lot at stake will Democrats pass the same test? I mean they voted for Bill Clinton twice.

Moneal

You must be pushing this point is because you think there is something lost in the black community avoiding the Republican Party. Do you think black people have legitimate reasons to be voting for republicans? A party whose strategy is to decrease black turnout as much as possible?

Democrat policies have done nothing for blacks in Chicago or Baltimore, or LA or other democrat ran cities, or democrat policies like the war on drugs.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just believe that before you label someone, it should be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

I generally do as well, but with Roy Moore there was too much smoke for there to be no fire, and he was almost elected to the US Senate before he could ever possibly be convicted of this in a court of law. A bullet was dodged.

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and with a lot at stake will a liberal state like California pass the same test?
A sitting Democrat senator was just ousted from office by people in his own party over sexual misconduct allegations that aren't anywhere near as bad as fucking teenage girls. Anthony Weiner's career went down the shitter and now he's in jail. I'm pretty sure no alleged pedophile would ever make it to the ballot as a Democrat in a hard blue state.

Democrat policies have done nothing for blacks in Chicago or Baltimore, or LA or other democrat ran cities, or democrat policies like the war on drugs.

I just learned Nixon was a Democrat.

I thought Republicans just passed the test. They didn't elect Roy Moore. Why is everyone still so upset?

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and with a lot at stake will Democrats pass the same test? I mean they voted for Bill Clinton twice.

Only 9% of Republicans voted for someone who wasn’t Moore. You call 9/100 passing? LMAO

Moneal

I generally do as well, but with Roy Moore there was too much smoke for there to be no fire, and he was almost elected to the US Senate before he could ever possibly be convicted of this in a court of law. A bullet was dodged.

A sitting Democrat senator was just ousted from office by people in his own party over sexual misconduct allegations that aren't anywhere near as bad as fucking teenage girls. Anthony Weiner's career went down the shitter and now he's in jail. I'm pretty sure no alleged pedophile would ever make it to the ballot as a Democrat in a hard blue state.

I just learned Nixon was a Democrat.

Ever heard of Bill Clinton

appaws

Banned

Roy Moore might be guilty of being a creep, but that is about it.

40 years later we see these accusations...and right before a hotly contested election. What a coincidence.

Credible, verified...! Lolz.

This is going to be what elections are like going forward. GOTCHA! he said/she said accusations tried and convicted in the media. It is going to be pure ugly, on both sides.

daman824

40 years later we see these accusations...and right before a hotly contested election. What a coincidence.

This is going to be what elections are like going forward. GOTCHA! he said/she said accusations tried and convicted in the media. It is going to be pure ugly, on both sides.
I can’t think of many people with political power who have had false claims pushed against them. Franken, Moore, Trump. They’re all most likely true.

So they’re not credible and verified? This statement that flies right in the face of facts is your position? Grow a brain.

The way people like Zog and appaws talk about these types of accusations is so illuminating. It’s almost like they’re defending themselves and not the person in question.

rokkerkory

Franken is stepping down. Trump should too.

Dude Abides

Banned

Nobody knew about the accusations because before the Washington Post started digging nobody cared. Alabama media certainly didn't.

Do you think all these women were put up to it and paid with (((Soros))) money?

Do you insist that Osama bin Laden be called the alleged 9/11 mastermind? How about the guy in the Port Authority this week, are you going to try to police every thread about that and wave your finger at anyone who doesn't call him the "alleged" bomber?

RefigeKru

Banned
Zog, people are calling him a pedophile because they believe the accounts of people coming forward more than they believe his denial. Simple as that really.

In the recent Vice video where they interview the Alabama Republicans who will vote for Roy Moore no matter what I noticed something. The refreshing honesty of a guy who when asked why 96% of African American's are going to vote Democrat he said they would be stupid to vote Republican, because Republican's were going to actively make their lives worse. He really meant it, and he was still going to vote republican. That casual indifference to huge swathes of the population is why Black people don't vote Republican.

It's no different here in the UK, where the Conversatives show persistent indifference to the plight of minorities (in some cases, they actually generate new issues within groups) and exhibit racist, xenophobic and nationalist tendencies. Even more as of late, and they've been losing more and more of the minority vote because it's obvious they will in the grand scheme make your life worse. It's why I laugh when people get angry that they're called racist for voting for Trump, despite his qualities being known to everyone, voting for him and and his ilk was even worse than maintaining an already unjust status quo. To take pride in that? Yuck.

The contrasts to the Tory gains across the country could not be any starker. They gained seats like Derbyshire North (1.9 per cent ethnic minority); Middlesbrough South (2.5 per cent); and Clacton (2.6 per cent). In England the average size of the ethnic minority electorate in seats where that the Conservatives gained is 4.5 per cent – for Labour, the figure is 14 per cent. Ultimately, the keys to Number 10 are still decided by the white vote.

However, the Brexit was perhaps the best example of the racial fault line in British politics, with 53 per cent of white voters wanting to leave and 73 per cent of black people voting to remain. If Britain was as diverse as America, the ethnic minority vote as a whole would have kept the nation in the EU. But Britain is not America – and beginning the mobilisation of the ethnic minority vote can only take Labour so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...s-class-and-turnout-how-britain-voted-in-2017

Fundamentally, so many of the actions of these parties are devoid of any empathy - even to those they pretend to represent, and do well to suppress in order to maintain their position within society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpdt7omPoa0

"White people" put #45 in office. Stop acting like Moore is an isolated incident.

The problem I have with this is that it suggests something is unique about white people that makes them prone to bad decisions en masse. Humans are who they are. We are tribal and prejudiced. It's easy to play on our fears because we have a very primal desire to stay safe by keeping others away.

I'm just not convinced that other races in power wouldn't behave similarly. My mom's side of the family is all from Mexico and LOL if you think they don't say horrendously racist stuff. They just don't wield power so the stakes are lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom