• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

kodecraft

Just bought this last night. Played for 2 hrs....hm, maybe I waited too long and the hype just isn't there because I am not feeling this. I'm not having fun at all. I'm just doing the objectives and semi exploring...but the way Laura controls, the lackluster villains....its all just comes across dull.

Maybe it's Doom and Killer Instinct that I've been playing for the most part is what has me feeling uninspired to continue to play this game.

Chitown B

Just bought this last night. Played for 2 hrs....hm, maybe I waited too long and the hype just isn't there because I am not feeling this. I'm not having fun at all. I'm just doing the objectives and semi exploring...but the way Laura controls, the lackluster villains....its all just comes across dull.

Maybe it's Doom and Killer Instinct that I've been playing for the most part is what has me feeling uninspired to continue to play this game.

it's not as good as the reboot. Kinda more of the same.

Peru

Just got this on the PC the other day. Holy crap it blows the 2013 TR out of the water, and that one was already pretty good.

Amazing visuals, more tombs, better tombs, MUCH better combat, stealth killing. Great set pieces. It strikes the perfect balance between linearity and exploration - it always keeps you progressing and seeing something new but you still get the satisfaction of going back to unavailable secrets and tombs with new tools. Better storytelling and plotting as well.

Honestly it's about as much fun as I've had in gaming in the past few years. A real high mark for the genre.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah man. I had many concerns for the series after the last game but they knocked it out of the park with RotTR. I can totally roll with this formula for the future adventures of NuLara.

Protip: Gas arrows.

Montresor

Finished the main game, and finished the Baba Yaga story DLC. Both were very, very, very good.

I'm starting the Cold Darkness DLC which also seems to showcase the best of this game: cold, dark, snowy environment, puzzle solving (re: the towers), and stealth game play.

I need someone to confirm the following for Endurance Mode though.

#1 Is there any puzzle solving whatsoever in Endurance Mode?
#2 Are there any save files or saving of any kind in Endurance Mode?

If not, that confirms that I will not purchase that DLC at all. I'm good with just Baba Yaga and Cold Darkness in that case.

Montresor

I just finished Cold Darkness. Wow that was incredible! I absolutely did not expect a mode relegated to the crappy challenge / score attack system could be so fun. I guess it helps big time that Cold Darkness actually has save files / save points. You can quit at any time and resume.

More importantly, the puzzles are what impressed me the most. I don't think I've ever in my life playing video games seen such a neat implementation of If > Then puzzles... For example, "If the fuse boxes have less than 6 red fuses, then perform task Y. If not then perform task X."

What was so lovely was Nadia's voice acting too. I loved how she's reading from her manual, giving you the precise If > Then instructions, and then goes "No-no-no-no stop Lara! Stop I was reading the wrong page! Let me restart!" Heh, it was great. I loved the nervousness in Nadia's voice. Whenever you ask her to repeat the If > Then instructions, she says "What? Again? Okay let me pull up the page again..."

The ending of Cold Darkness was annoying though... those damn enemies kept bugging me / hitting me whenever I was trying to line up a shot on the end-game targets. Urgh.

Edit: They should make an entire co-op game entirely comprised of puzzle-solving game play with If > Then instructions. Imagine two different co-op partners walking around a haunted house full of dangerous contraptions/puzzles/traps. One co-op partner has tools (wrench, screwdriver, hammer, etc...) and the other co-op partner has an instruction booklet. The co-op partner with the booklet is the only person who can see the instructions. The other co-op partner is the only person that can actually physically solve the puzzle or interact with the puzzle... Writing it out like that seems boring, I just realized - but I'm just really floored by the If > Then puzzle structure found in Cold Darkness. I want more games with this.

Here's a game that sort of has that concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn71KuoUTpE&feature=youtu.be.

Iorv3th

Got this game in the steam sale and am just past geothermal valley area and game is crashing the display driver pretty frequently. Temps on GPU is around 65 and CPU around 60 at the high end, dropps down into 50's frequently.

Have a 970 and have fresh drivers installed running DDU previously. Don't know what to do.

Got this game in the steam sale and am just past geothermal valley area and game is crashing the display driver pretty frequently. Temps on GPU is around 65 and CPU around 60 at the high end, dropps down into 50's frequently.

Have a 970 and have fresh drivers installed running DDU previously. Don't know what to do.
Settings? VXAO is a bit buggy and DX12 isn't great on the 970.

DX11. VXAO isn't on it's set to FXAA. For some reason after the game crashes and I go back to reload it the clock rate and everything on the GPU is very low. Like 500mhz. Staying in low power state for some reason unless I reset windows. .

Do you get a driver crash error from windows after the game crashes?

What you're describing (the low clock until you reboot) is exactly what happens when the gpu recovers after crashing due to being overclocked to the point of being unstable.

As other said, lower your clockspeed and see if it still happens.

Just because an overclock is stable in one game or in a benchmark it doesn't mean it's stable in every game.

My gpu (also a gtx 970) is stable in 3d mark at 1510mhz, but in some games it failed exactly like that (and in 3dmark when I tried 1550mhz :p), had to lower it to 1490 and then it was stable in everything (everything I tried so far). I ended up just putting the clockspeed at 1475 for peace of mind.

Ape

Banned
On Xbone and the game keeps freezing and sometimes crashing my system?bloke 15% done with Soviet base.
How do we fix this

googly

Same problem... Any solutions?

Oh no, I have the same problem. I heard one solution is to load an older save from the Load Game menu by clicking LT + RT. My game freezes right when I get to the main menu screen though, I can't even get to the load game screen.

Edit:

It looks like if you set your Xbox One to offline mode the game will work. Not a great solution but at least I can play.

NeoBob688

One thing annoying about this game is if I find a tomb entrance, but don't have the equipment to open the entrance, on the map icon the tomb is sometimes displayed as "grayed out" (already explored) as opposed to white (not yet explored) making it confusing to keep track of tombs that I haven't explored yet.

Ambitious

I started playing the PS4 version today and just reached the first camp fire. For some reason, 16 out of 16 outfits are unlocked. Surely, this is not intended?

edit: Oops, I just realized that there's a separate thread for the PS4 version. Gonna re-post there.

Saad

I'm at the Research Base and I think my game is broken... The objective says
repel the trinity attackers
but I can't reach the objective location and it is not even showing when I activate the survival instinct... Help

mclem

A question, as non-spoilery as possible if you can, since I've just started!

I've just started the PS4 version of the game, and on getting to the first checkpoint, I unlocked a *ton* of costumes. Similarly, later, when getting to the first checkpoint after securing my first pistol, I again seemed to have a suspiciously large number of weapons, with only the presence of the baseline one and the one I'd collected a couple of parts towards making any actual sense.

I'm guessing a big chunk of these are GOTY/special edition freebies, but what are the baseline costumes that I should have from the outset (trying to avoid using any with bonusses if I haven't earned them) and the baseline weaponry (Is it just the revolver for now?)

Top Bottom