• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Bought an XB1 to play this. Was worried when the menus had lag delay. Is this actually anywhere close to being fixed? Started it yesterday and I have enjoyed it so far but the lag is quite annoying.

So gaf im playing this game and somehow the aiming seems quite off, ima playing it without any aim assist and tweeked trough sensibility many times but i have the impressions the aiming was way better in the previous games, any tip?

The game has input lag, I as a new player like you are annoyed by it haha.

Started playing the game again and I noticed a few new outfits in the outfits section. But what I find annoying is that I can't see what the required items are. One of them seems to be deer skin but the other two I have no idea about. Quite annoying. Any way to see what these items are? It concerns the Immortal Guardian outfit, Ancient Vanguard, Siberia Ranger and Nightshade. According to sites, some of these are DLC outfits but I never bought any DLC.

Warablo

Just finished the game. It was an alright game. I think this has a lot of potential for a Tomb Raider game, but somewhat chases a different theme for the game.

Also, the achievement concept art is amazing. Every game should include that as achievement art work. Makes great backgrounds on the XB1 too.

So I just started playing this again after over a month and I completely forget the controls lol. I'm sort of stuck now not knowing what to do. How do I take cover again? I'm failing miserably because I can't remember :(

dedhead54

I'm having so much fun playing through this game right now. I find myself spending a lot of time scouring the map to collect everything, just because it feels so good to traverse the areas. I definitely see myself putting a lot of hours in to it trying to 100% everything. The tombs are a definite improvement over the last game so far (I am only 6 or so hours in).

DarkFlame

Banned
Hey guys,i'm interested in buying this game and i wanna ask if Baba Yaga is the only story DLC planned since i don't care for survival modes or stuff like that.

Grisby

Welp, beat the babayaga stuff. There were one or two neat bits, and the final boss was ok, but it didn't feel particularity satisfying.

Now, endurance mode, man that is something awesome. Great add on. I always seem to have a 9 or 10 day run going and then the floor pit of spikes gets meh.

Hope the last dlc is as good as Endurance.

Teggy

Hey guys,i'm interested in buying this game and i wanna ask if Baba Yaga is the only story DLC planned since i don't care for survival modes or stuff like that.

We're not quite sure what the last DLC is but it sounds like a horde mode with some light story. Unclear at the moment.

Grisby

Got the ten day cheevo with the artifacts. Damn fun mode.

They really should just repackage endurance mode as a separate deal, add a few more maps and put it up on the marketplace. I'd buy the shit out of it.

Finally got around to playing RotTR after getting it for Christmas. Really solid game thus far... Enjoying that so far it's been more on discovery and less so on combat. I also like how each significant combat area can be approached as a puzzle, which really adds a lot to the game.

Dialog is cheesy but not terrible, graphics look good.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit thus far.

jesu

Got a survey from MS mainly asking about ROTR and what I thought about.
Asking about what I would want from a sequel too.

Interesting since it came from MS and not Square or Crystal Dynamics.

Downloaded a new patch last night that seems to have borked the game. Tried to start it 3 times, twice I got a "trying to update" message that froze my console and another time the game froze and crashed in the menus.

On X1.

Sorry for double post but this game is amazing. Wow...and the graphics are gorgeous. I loved the first TR 2013 and this looks even better. Must have for Xbox One.

Grisby

You ain't seen nothing yet Dark. It gets crazy.

Any impressions from the final dlc? Downloaded it but I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment.

Toa TAK

Banned
You ain't seen nothing yet Dark. It gets crazy.

Any impressions from the final dlc? Downloaded it but I'm too busy with other stuff at the moment.
It's fun. It's objective based and the enemies are definitely geared more towards stealth, with an occasional burst of waves. It's a lot more "involved" with characters, dialogue and an explosive finish. Looking forward to replaying it some more.

Grisby

It's fun. It's objective based and the enemies are definitely geared more towards stealth, with an occasional burst of waves. It's a lot more "involved" with characters, dialogue and an explosive finish. Looking forward to replaying it some more.
Good deal. I'll definitely have to give it a go after Quantum Break. Endurance Mode was a lot of fun.
It's Karen O, she's the singer of the band Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Which has a quite different sound, she has a great voice. She also has a solo album released not too long ago.
Thanks. I'm always looking for new bands.

Forsythia

The latest DLC sucks bigtime. I just play it to unlock the weapon and outfit, but it's too fucking dark and the tower puzzles suck ass. I have to check what Nadia said a hundred times, why can't that text be on screen all the time? And it's confusing as I can't see shit. Fuck this DLC, why not just give me the outfit and weapon.

Redhood

I think the DLC was ok! Quite eerie but not fully horde mode.

As for instructions they were visible after pressing R3.

New DLC teased???

Hey all,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Here is a note I can share on the topic!

"As some eagle-eyed Rise of the Tomb Raider players have discovered, two placeholder movies were accidentally included in the latest patch. This content was not meant to be released, but now that it is we wanted to respond to the questions we’ve received as a result. The movies are part of a DLC expansion we’re exploring for Rise of the Tomb Raider. Our fans continue to enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider and its DLC, including Cold Darkness Awakened which released on Tuesday, and we receive many requests for additional story content. We’re always listening to feedback from our fans; especially this year as we celebrate 20 years of the iconic Lara Croft and the Tomb Raider franchise together."

No, I can't answer any additional questions other than this. :p

Video in Question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqP1rdx46NY

Source:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=7561751&postcount=43

tci

So I haven't played this since Feb. and I had always decent performance. 40+ mostly. Now I came back and noticed the game is unplayable. Skipping, lagging and everything. Tried with low settings, mid, high, no difference. Also tested with and without DX12.

Using a GTX 780 with the latest drivers. Anyone else having issues? I am
at the Castle nearing the end I think.

So, I just finished the game and enjoyed it a lot. What's the general opinion on the DLC?

Endurance mode sounds the best to me, the Baba Yaga like it's okay (good but short) but I haven't heard much about the last DLC. Is it worth it?

Montresor

I started the Defensive Strategy mission in Geothermal Valley.

The mission involves collecting deer hide and wood and then returning to the mission giver.

The problem is I had the required materials before even starting the mission. As soon as I started the mission it said something like "you have collected the right materials, return to the quest giver".

It's glitched though. When I return to the quest giver there's a prompt to push X but pushing X does nothing.

Is there any fix for this? I really don't want to start the game over. Ugh.

Montresor

God dammit. I loaded my backup save (losing a couple of hours of game play). I started the Defensive Strategy mission again. This time, I didn't already have all the required materials (I still needed 3 deer hide). So I collected the deer hide, returned to the mission giver - same silliness. Mission giver has an X over his head but pushing X does nothing.

So I took a suggestion that I read in another forum, and I did the following:

1) On the XB1 OS, go to Settings > Network Settings > Go Offline
2) Uninstall Rise of the Tomb Raider
3) Reinstall the disc while offline (this guarantees you don't get any updates)
4) Load the save file and try the Defensive Strategy mission again

That let me know finish the mission. -_- But I still lost a couple of hours of game play. What an aggravating way to end the night. I really could've done without a couple of hours of troubleshooting after work.

Edit: I've gone back online and now when I try to play Rise of the Tomb Raider, the XB1 says it needs an update, and then "There was a problem with the update. Rise of the Tomb Raider needs an update, but something went wrong. For help, visit xbox.com/xboxone/update/help. Followed the steps there, which amounted to "Test network connection". The test was successful, but then it seemed like the update issue resolved itself. *shrug* Now I'm back online, with an updated Tomb Raider, and the stupid Defensive Strategy mission is complete. That was a bit of work.

I'm done for the night. =/

BroBot

So I started playing this game on friday. Figured I'd play it before UC4. So far, I'm not really feeling this. The supporting characters are bland, Lara isn't interesting to me, and nearly everything she touches seems to collapse/fall/break on her as if she's cursed or something. The gameplay is fun and improved. I love stealth. The tombs are enjoyable so far. I like the environment. I don't like how she gives hints in the tombs when I enter the survival instinct mode. I'm disappointed overall. I really liked the first one. I'm going to finish it since I'm a Tomb Raider fan but I hope the next game is more isolation and tombs and less of this cinematic destruction stuff. TR 2 and Anniversary still the greatest to me.

Lima

and nearly everything she touches seems to collapse/fall/break on her as if she's cursed or something.

Ah yes the doom magnet trope. You are going to see plenty more in Uncharted 4. They cranked it up to 11 in that game. Hell I'd say Uncharted was the game that really pioneered this. Everything that Drake touches or climbs on breaks and turns to shit. Like the universe really hates him.

Makes for awesome set pieces though which is obviously why Eidos copied it. Their set pieces are still a level behind Uncharted though.

Montresor

Test post

Edit: For some reason I couldn't see Page 62 and Lima's post at all (my subs kept saying there was a new post at 4:46pm EDT made by Lima). It didn't show up for me until I made this test post.

Montresor

Anyhow, I finally made back the couple of hours I lost after running into the Defensive Strategy mission glitch.

I've really enjoyed the last 5 or so hours of game play. I've honestly not touched the story line for those 5 hours - I've just been exploring Geothermal Valley, completing multiple tombs, challenges, missions, and looking for collectibles.

Also, after playing Quantum Break, I couldn't help but smile once I found the (Rise of the Tomb Raider spoiler)
Atlas
. It looks very similar to (Quantum Break spoiler)
William Joyce's countermeasure

danowat

Banned
Started this last night, first hour or so (before the first camp), blimey, that was a rush, things ramped up quickly!

Slowed down a bit once I hit the camp, but I am looking forward to playing more, it looks glorious also.

Is the DLC worth getting?

Lima

Is the DLC worth getting?

All of them yes.

The story DLC is amazing if a bit on the short side of things.

The endurance mode is incredibly fun and a mix between tomb raiding and survival. The last DLC piece is a horde mode with some creepy enemies, great fun though the worst DLC of them all.

Question regarding the Windows Store version of this game, is it hindered a lot? Is it not worth getting at all because of the shitty Windows Store limitations they put on games?

I'm asking because I got some money on my account from before I got rid of my Xbox One, and I still would like to play this game at some point, and was thinking about just buying it on PC.

Also, I have a GTX 760ti, how would this game run for me?

Montresor

Whew, I finally beat the main story. Fantastic game.

The season pass seems like a waste of money. I actually do plan on getting the three main DLC packs: Endurance Mode, Cold Darkness Awakened, and Baba Yaga.

But those three packs are only $10 each and together cost $30. The season pass is $40 (!!!). The additional content in the season pass appears to be outfits that I don't care about and randomized card packs. So I'll bite early on the three main packs and enjoy some more Tomb Raider goodness.

Does anyone have any obvious/special tips for the 1750/1750 or even for just the original 1000/1000?

Montresor

Okay, 100%'d the main story, and I got 960/1000 gamerscore for the base game. The only achievements I have left for the original 1000/1000 are "Get bronze in all score attack levels" and "Get gold in all score attack levels". Way too much of a headache so I won't tackle that. I'm more than happy with 960/1000.

I had a look at the DLC and decided I will skip Endurance Mode (I'm in no mood to play anything that requires you to scavenge for resources like Endurance Mode appears to). But I will be purchasing the Baba Yaga and Cold Darkness DLCs. Both sound really neat.

Grisby

Just beat Cold Darkness and it didn't do much for me. I liked the added story bits, and the idea of trying to fix each tower is neat, but it's not something I feel the need to play through again.

It's not really a horde mode either, IMO.

Endurance Mode was the real DLC winner here. Such a great time.
I think the DLC was ok! Quite eerie but not fully horde mode.

As for instructions they were visible after pressing R3.

New DLC teased???

Video in Question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqP1rdx46NY

Source:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=7561751&postcount=43
I'd love to return to ROTR again in the future. Something set at the manor (which is long overdue in the reboot) would be cool.

Top Bottom