• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Gvaz

Banned
I'm pretty bummed, I came back for the free couple of days and legacy did nothing to persuade me and they broke my social dancing items.

HBroward

I'm pretty bummed, I came back for the free couple of days and legacy did nothing to persuade me and they broke my social dancing items.

Good news, an upcoming patch will reenable them, they were glitched and could lock people in place until they typed /dance to break out. And who thinks to type /dance when they are already dancing.

Lilsnubby

This gameneeds two things related to travel:

Faster speeders - level 25 "speeder" should be 100%, 40 110% and 50 120%. The zones are too big and the slow speeders make it feel like riding around in fucking Rascals.

The ability to land your ship on any unlocked bind point on the map. Provide xp or incentive for landing at spacedock for the 1st time but then open it up. Fast travel to ship as well. I really wish the anims of the ships taking off and landing looked better as well, it would make the overall feel of having a starship a lot more satisfying.

Overall I like the new pvp tweaks and pvp in general. I'd like to see more different Huttball arenas.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
That's a great idea. I love Huttball, but to have some variety with different Huttball maps would be pretty sweet.

Seriously, maybe one that doesn't favor sorcs, juggs, and tankassins by a huge margin. Owait... that's virtually impossible to create -_-.

theta11

Seriously, maybe one that doesn't favor sorcs, juggs, and tankassins by a huge margin. Owait... that's virtually impossible to create -_-.

If they disabled movement skills being used by and on the ball carrier Huttball would be alot more interesting.

Kem0sabe

Logged in again with the free "month" bioware offered to level 50 players, played a couple of hours and logged off for good.

Everything that i disliked about the game is still there with 1.2, the emptiness of the world, the almost non existent sense of community (no chat, no player interaction), the linear quest grind, the spamming LFG in fleet for flashpoints for an hour...

No thanks, gona try GW2 and if that sucks, then i´m never buying another mmorpg ever again.

Event has been fun, been causing lot of pvp breakouts even on a pve server, can only imagine on a pvp one the chaos of it all. Reminded me of WAR events which were pretty good and generally promoted pvp. Hopefully we see more of this on a regular basis and not massive gaps of nothing like before.

If you go through all the datamined info on torhead, they give write ups with all of the story details for the new raid, and the next few raids.

That's no fun :p

Dunlop

Faster speeders - level 25 "speeder" should be 100%, 40 110% and 50 120%. The zones are too big and the slow speeders make it feel like riding around in fucking Rascals.

agree, I actually haven't updated past speeder 1 on my new sorc main, it is not worth the money invested

I have level 3 on my BH (with the epic mounts from EV and KP) and there is absolutely no sense of it being faster

agree, I actually haven't updated past speeder 1 on my new sorc main, it is not worth the money invested

I have level 3 on my BH (with the epic mounts from EV and KP) and there is absolutely no sense of it being faster

An extra 10% is not really going to make it feel faster either, that's the increment already in the levels of speeder increases. An extra 20% from top level I think is definitely worth it even though it might not feel faster.

They are putting in speed boosts in other areas, they hopefully will do so for speeders with legacy system and eventually introduce new levels of speeders... though again another 10% increase is not going to feel a ton different from our current lvl 3s

Tarazet

I just respecced my gunslinger to dirty fighting for pvp because it's just impossible to compete only using stationary ranged attacks. Yes, saboteur has some great AOE attacks for keeping people from capping points or doors but it sucks to lose to a marauder that is hopping around like a spazoid while sitting in cover.

I have a Battlemaster Sniper and I love playing Marksmanship (the left tree for us) in PVP. You're probably not using your CC properly. Your Ambush can have a talented knockback, you can talent Cover Pulse to knock them back to kingdom come, Leg Shot immobilizes the target and has the shortest cooldown (afaik) of any root, and you have a stun that's specifically for use in melee range. You also have a talent on Entrench that nerfs the shit out of a Warrior's Smash. Oh yeah, and you're immune to the Warrior's charges in cover, with the exception of Intercede. Add those things together and you can shut down a Warrior's DPS better than anyone else, bar none. Scoundrels and Shadows are actually much harder for us to deal with because of the stealth and knockdowns.

HBroward

I have a Battlemaster Sniper and I love playing Marksmanship (the left tree for us) in PVP. You're probably not using your CC properly. Your Ambush can have a talented knockback, you can talent Cover Pulse to knock them back to kingdom come, Leg Shot immobilizes the target and has the shortest cooldown (afaik) of any root, and you have a stun that's specifically for use in melee range. You also have a talent on Entrench that nerfs the shit out of a Warrior's Smash. Add those things together and you can shut down a melee class's DPS better than anyone else, bar none.

This right here. The only thing I really have an issue with is when two mara's focus me, you run out of tricks pretty quickly. And that's ok, I don't think I should be able to kill 2 mara's and walk away.

Tarazet

This right here. The only thing I really have an issue with is when two mara's focus me, you run out of tricks pretty quickly. And that's ok, I don't think I should be able to kill 2 mara's and walk away.

Sometimes I can. One of my favorite tricks is to knockback, root, and then cast Orbital Strike right on top of myself. If they do try to continue to melee me, they do so at their imminent peril, because that does 2.5k a tick tech damage, and with my BM two-piece bonus, I get 4 ticks.

HBroward

Sometimes I can. One of my favorite tricks is to knockback, root, and then cast Orbital Strike right on top of myself. If they do try to continue to melee me, they do so at their imminent peril, because that does 2.5k a tick tech damage, and with my BM two-piece bonus, I get 4 ticks.

Yeah, I love doing that also, it's amazing how many people run back in and die to it. Two good mara's though should be able to win every time if they utilize their cooldowns effectively. There are too few good ones out there though, and most of them are usually on my team. :)

KePoW

Banned

Good tip.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Logged in again with the free "month" bioware offered to level 50 players, played a couple of hours and logged off for good.

Everything that i disliked about the game is still there with 1.2, the emptiness of the world, the almost non existent sense of community (no chat, no player interaction), the linear quest grind, the spamming LFG in fleet for flashpoints for an hour...

No thanks, gona try GW2 and if that sucks, then i´m never buying another mmorpg ever again.

When did you try logging in? Tonnes of people are hanging out on Tattooine at the moment because of the Rakghoul event. World PVP has been great and lots of people are talking and forming groups to kill the event world bosses. Since sunday there has been 2 instances of Tattooine on my server during prime time and my server is pretty middle of the road in terms of population.

Isaccard

I had a boner for Warriors for awhile, but Mara's have so many buttons and so much utility, and Juggernauts you really have to work hard to push out acceptable DPS with (I dont have the skill our servers best Juggs do). But I hear the story is really good, and both classes are still fun to play.

I'm playing an Operative that's level 11 right now and I like the freedom of range and melee the class gives to play with, and it feels somewhat similar to my Assassin, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the cooldows. 12 seconds on Backstab feels bad man. Assassins get instant Maul for only half their resource, but I build it back so fast, I can pull off 3 in a pvp match. But yeah, I'm only level 11 right now, but seems like a fun class so far. Maybe I'm just into stealth classes?

Got a level 36 Merc I wanted to heal with before the patch, but wholy crap, DPS with this class is so boring. They're probably the prefered DPS class for endgame content, but hitting one button for 10+ minutes isint my idea of exciting. No difficulty, no skill, just spam, and watch the procs/flytext. Gonna force it up to 50 anyway incase Merc healing ever gets adjusted, but yeah. Melee may be harder, but it's alot more fun to play.

Might roll a Sage Pub side though.

Edit: And I am so sick of Troopers in pvp.

Lilsnubby

An extra 10% is not really going to make it feel faster either, that's the increment already in the levels of speeder increases. An extra 20% from top level I think is definitely worth it even though it might not feel faster.

They are putting in speed boosts in other areas, they hopefully will do so for speeders with legacy system and eventually introduce new levels of speeders... though again another 10% increase is not going to feel a ton different from our current lvl 3s

I agree 10% isn't even enough but realistically faster might break some of the aggro detection and people would be able to speed through the world unimpeded (which they probably don't want but might not be the worst idea in the world). Makning it so your Ship could take off and land from any bind point would sure make exploration more fun as well.

I agree 10% isn't even enough but realistically faster might break some of the aggro detection and people would be able to speed through the world unimpeded (which they probably don't want but might not be the worst idea in the world). Makning it so your Ship could take off and land from any bind point would sure make exploration more fun as well.

I doubt they will do that, though some kind of straight recall to ship ability would be a nice legacy bonus.... though you can generally already do that by QT'ing to the spaceport and now you got the option to go straight from the ground to your ship instead of having to stop at a station. But perhaps adding a legacy ability that let you qt straight to ship would be nice addition.

A big issue to me with traveling in this game, even though they sped up alot of things in 1.2, is that load times are still way too high for most planets.

Francois424

Neo Member

What they need to do is give a bonus if you stick to the roads. like +50% or something.
It won't be perfect, then again it wont be Gamebreaking.

arimanius

I'm playing an Operative that's level 11 right now and I like the freedom of range and melee the class gives to play with, and it feels somewhat similar to my Assassin, but I'm having a hard time getting used to the cooldows. 12 seconds on Backstab feels bad man. Assassins get instant Maul for only half their resource, but I build it back so fast, I can pull off 3 in a pvp match. But yeah, I'm only level 11 right now, but seems like a fun class so far. Maybe I'm just into stealth classes?.

It sounds like it should make that much of a difference but the 12 second cooldown on BS has totally broken the flow of combat. Pre 1.2 OP combat was just so smooth and everything just clicked. Now it's fragmented downtime that you have to feel with rifle shot.

Lilsnubby

I doubt they will do that, though some kind of straight recall to ship ability would be a nice legacy bonus.... though you can generally already do that by QT'ing to the spaceport and now you got the option to go straight from the ground to your ship instead of having to stop at a station. But perhaps adding a legacy ability that let you qt straight to ship would be nice addition.

A big issue to me with traveling in this game, even though they sped up alot of things in 1.2, is that load times are still way too high for most planets.

This is Bioware we're talking about - incomprehensible loading times have been the norm since Baldur's gate

Tarazet

I do wish they would remove the Aim sniper rifle and vibroknife drops. There isn't a single class or companion in the game that uses them. I see them on the GTN sometimes and just facepalm. They must be an artifact of a class that was taken out, perhaps some kind of ranged tank.

When did you try logging in? Tonnes of people are hanging out on Tattooine at the moment because of the Rakghoul event. World PVP has been great and lots of people are talking and forming groups to kill the event world bosses. Since sunday there has been 2 instances of Tattooine on my server during prime time and my server is pretty middle of the road in terms of population.

You're extremely lucky. Having more than 150 people online on the entire server would be a blessing for most people, if not an extreme rarity. My server peaks at 120~ ish, with less than 5 in every zone other than fleet / flash points. the majority of them are afk. Republic is completely dead, with under 20 online during the day at times. Peak times can bring close to 150 for us with about 40-50 for republic, but it's still dead. I have not been able to get a single flash point group for over a month.

Draxal

You're extremely lucky. Having more than 150 people online on the entire server would be a blessing for most people, if not an extreme rarity. My server peaks at 120~ ish, with less than 5 in every zone other than fleet / flash points. the majority of them are afk. Republic is completely dead, with under 20 online during the day at times. Peak times can bring close to 150 for us with about 40-50 for republic, but it's still dead. I have not been able to get a single flash point group for over a month.

There's constantly more people on Tatooine than the Fleet on my server right now.

For Republic it's mostly low pops on most servers. Many servers have very healthy imperial populations though. Why I fear them opening character transfers and not limiting them, as your going to have lot of servers where the Republic populations are just going to want to migrate all to the handful of Republic heavy servers. Lot of imperials are going to have no pubs to play against. The only thing that will stop some people otherwise is those with invested time in their imperial alts which are tied to the legacy.

Been said a million times that they opened way too many servers at launch and they need to merge up a bunch of these.

Emo much?

Seriously...

Miletius

For Republic it's mostly low pops on most servers. Many servers have very healthy imperial populations though. Why I fear them opening character transfers and not limiting them, as your going to have lot of servers where the Republic populations are just going to want to migrate all to the handful of Republic heavy servers. Lot of imperials are going to have no pubs to play against. The only thing that will stop some people otherwise is those with invested time in their imperial alts which are tied to the legacy.

Been said a million times that they opened way too many servers at launch and they need to merge up a bunch of these.

I understand where you are coming from but didn't they say that they aren't worried too much about pop inbalances? If so, then what incentive is there for them to actually limit who migrates where?

Server mergers is what needs to happen but my guess is that they are just going to let people transfer.

I understand where you are coming from but didn't they say that they aren't worried too much about pop inbalances? If so, then what incentive is there for them to actually limit who migrates where?

Server mergers is what needs to happen but my guess is that they are just going to let people transfer.

They aren't worried about pop inbalances, and if they don't care about open world pvp then obviously they likely wont care about setting up limits sadly. But it does hurt the game especially for those with guilds and legacy alts who suddenly want to play their pub alt and there is no one to play with? Pub pop on my server is 1/3 of the Empire, and lot of those pub players I've talked with and from comments on the forums, will abandon the ship to another server and it's just going to make it worse. I'm tied to my Empire guild for personal reasons so my pub alts are going to be stuck on a server with no one to play with? At least WAR when they did free transfers had limits to where you could go to try and keep populations from fluctuating too badly and to try and help pops that needed more players.

Mergers are what are idea situation but they have said already that transfers is what they will be doing "soon". My fear is that transfers are just going to make things worse for the game. Some player will be happy to move, but in the long term it's going to screw alot of servers.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I do wish they would remove the Aim sniper rifle and vibroknife drops. There isn't a single class or companion in the game that uses them. I see them on the GTN sometimes and just facepalm. They must be an artifact of a class that was taken out, perhaps some kind of ranged tank.
I've also gotten +cunning assault cannons. I really think they just have fucked up random loot tables. I am considering /bugging every time I see one of those things.

Dunlop

uhg I need to stop making spur of the moment decisions when I'm tired

Finished EV and while talking to my buddies in vent I decided to use my crapton of Tionese currency to deck out Ashara and spent a good 150k on the AH to finish the job

..even though I have never used her once and have levelled with Khem

...only to find out she sucks donkey balls, she seems to do less damage than Khem even with vastly superior gear, takes a shitton more damage and cannot hold aggro

c'est la vie :p

aett

I hope that I can transfer to a server with somewhat balanced factions, just so I can take advantage of the Legacy and actually play some Pub characters in the future.

Isaccard

Finished EV and while talking to my buddies in vent I decided to use my crapton of Tionese currency to deck out Ashara and spent a good 150k on the AH to finish the job

...only to find out she sucks donkey balls, she seems to do less damage than Khem even with vastly superior gear, takes a shitton more damage and cannot hold aggro

You're doing something wrong, because Ashara is by far the best DPS companion.

Even not as well geared as her Khem, my GF's Ashara does a ton more damage. Perhaps her being weaker and more prone to dying than Khem is making her seem weaker to you? Don't want to sound mean or anything, but you also gave her two sabers correct...? Because we had a guildy complaining about her and didn't realize that she dual wields hehe.

Dunlop

You're doing something wrong, because Ashara is by far the best DPS companion.

Hopefully that is the case ; )

I have her in full Tionese maurader gear, organe modded lightsabers ect..on that note, are there any customizations where you do not see the armour for her?

I only did a few pulls in Corellia for the dailies but the difference was staggering

FLEABttn

Banned
and lot of those pub players I've talked with and from comments on the forums, will abandon the ship to another server

Oh yeah, me and 5 others are going to leave for a higher Rep pop (and ideally PvE) server as soon as we're able. And if that comes before mergers do, well, Warriors of the Shadow is fucked because we certainly won't be the only ones.

Though, let this be a lesson to future MMO devs: Factions are bad and you should feel bad. I don't care if they make sense from a lore perspective, because from a gameplay perspective, they're dumb.

SpudBud

Republic on KV is still relatively healthy population wise. A bunch of active guilds including Rep GAF. KV in general seems like a pretty alright server.

I do echo the sentiments that BW should control were people can transfer too and from the looks of it the population on many of the severs are shit. I'm really surprised that BW as done little to fix the problem.

Dunlop

Even not as well geared as her Khem, my GF's Ashara does a ton more damage. Perhaps her being weaker and more prone to dying than Khem is making her seem weaker to you? Don't want to sound mean or anything, but you also gave her two sabers correct...? Because we had a guildy complaining about her and didn't realize that she dual wields hehe.

yeah she is dual weilding, it might be my full style. In groups of mobs I just throw Khem in a force lightning them down while all aggro is kept off of me. I'll get her to pull and try to heal her to check the difference in the damage

Being a healer my Offensive aresenal is more limited so being able to just spam FL is great :p

Draxal

They aren't worried about pop inbalances, and if they don't care about open world pvp then obviously they likely wont care about setting up limits sadly. But it does hurt the game especially for those with guilds and legacy alts who suddenly want to play their pub alt and there is no one to play with? Pub pop on my server is 1/3 of the Empire, and lot of those pub players I've talked with and from comments on the forums, will abandon the ship to another server and it's just going to make it worse. I'm tied to my Empire guild for personal reasons so my pub alts are going to be stuck on a server with no one to play with? At least WAR when they did free transfers had limits to where you could go to try and keep populations from fluctuating too badly and to try and help pops that needed more players.

Mergers are what are idea situation but they have said already that transfers is what they will be doing "soon". My fear is that transfers are just going to make things worse for the game. Some player will be happy to move, but in the long term it's going to screw alot of servers.

Honestly, Bioware fucked up by having same faction pvp. Having shorter pvp q's on the lesser side is one of the population balance fixes (and now it's shorter on the dominant side).

Honestly, Bioware fucked up by having same faction pvp. Having shorter pvp q's on the lesser side is one of the population balance fixes (and now it's shorter on the dominant side).

I have the completely opposite experience. Pubs have 1/3 the pop on my server and I instantly get into pvp with my pub alts. My imperial characters on the server will sometimes have to wait 15-20 min to get into a single wz. The problem though is currently even if I get in auto into a match with pubs, we usually are not a full team. But have been leveling alts on pub side through mostly pvp thanks to how much faster their queues pop

HBroward

1.2.0c Patch Notes.

Good changes(albeit perhaps a day too late for some of us):

World Event

Jeelvic the Jawa will no longer take more DNA samples than intended for purchases.
Players who were not properly granted final event codex entry and title for defeating Infected Trapjaw, Zama Brak, and Urtagh will be granted both the title and codex entry.

PvP

Increased rewards for players on the losing side of Warzone matches.
Players will now receive rewards for Warzones if they have earned at least one medal.

From reading the forums, it seems long games give the winners about 140 coms now, and losers get 80-90. A fast win gives ~90 coms to the victors.

Changes that will make our stacked Merc op team less useful(be interesting to see where we land on the enrages now):

Mercenary

Heatseeker Missile: This ability will now only gain extra damage from your additional stacks of Heat Signatures and will not incorrectly detect debuffs from other players.

New Daily mission for Rakghoul event. Today you get to choose between the chest and belt. Supposedly this is the last quest that will be added according to data miners.

Top Bottom