• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

gatti-man

Maybe try the other side of BH? Powertech, according to and proven by Grys have ridc burst dmg in PvP. I've never actually seen it happen, but at the end of a match the he's topped the scoreboard with over 400k. Vanguards are nice too.

Assassin DoT's are all yellow dmg; I would assume it's the same for sorcs.

Id like to have a 50 on both sides and i don't want two AC's of the same class. Vanguard=powertech. Pyro has good burst for merc and great burst for powertech.

Francois424

Neo Member
Ok, newbie question here...

White damage ? Yellow Damage ?
Is that like regular and internal damage (which some buffs add defence to) ?

Thanks

Cystm

Ok, newbie question here...

White damage ? Yellow Damage ?
Is that like regular and internal damage (which some buffs add defence to) ?

Thanks

You are an IA, right?

Standard white is your companion's damage.

Bold white is your ranged damage.

Yellow is your tech damage.

Francois424

Neo Member
Yes, I do play one from time to time.

So tech damage isn't mitigated the way "regular" white damage is then ?

[Edit]
Thank you both for the answers !

Draxal

Merc's Tracers missle is tech/kinetic damage. It does not ignore armor (besides the talents specifically allowing it to be ignored), but it doesn't trigger shields and hits alot more (check your hit rating it's different for weapon vs tech/force). Merc's unload is weapon damage which triggers tanks shields. So as a result tanks, went away from pvp shielding due to the preponderance of Mercs/Sorcerers earlier in the game.

theta11

[Edit]
Thank you both for the answers !

White damage is weapon damage, which is subject to all defenses Shield/Defense etc.

Yellow damage is pretty much everything else. Kinetic/Energy/Elemental/Internal. The way each of these are mitigated are different depending on the type. Internal damage bypasses armor.

Yaska

Decided to stop lvling my alta over lvl 40 because lack of players on my server. Gotta love the legacy buffs. Purity is one really useful skill indeed.

Zafir

Powertechs definitely seem to be one of the highest PVP Damage classes at the moment. There's a few Powertechs on my side who I've seen get 500k-600k multiple times. One of which I PVP with regularly. He seems to think the numbers are so high due to the dots mind you.

Cimarron

Is the community still strong in this game? I am getting a new rig in about a week and I have always been curious about this game but I don't feel like buying it if it is already a ghost town.

CzarTim

Is the community still strong in this game? I am getting a new rig in about a week and I have always been curious about this game but I don't feel like buying it if it is already a ghost town.

GAF Republic is going strong. Server pop in general is down (save for a few Heavy Pop ones), but as long as you get in a guild, it doesn't matter.

Cimarron

GAF Republic is going strong. Server pop in general is down (save for a few Heavy Pop ones), but as long as you get in a guild, it doesn't matter.

Awesome! I may pick this up in a few weeks. I don't know if I can handle playing Skyrim, Diablo 3 AND KOTOR at the same time though. :p

aett

Between TERA and other games, I'm taking a break from SWTOR until server mergers/transfers and LFG. All of my playtime is either dailies that I'm sick of or waiting for groups.

FLEABttn

Banned
Between TERA and other games, I'm taking a break from SWTOR until server mergers/transfers and LFG. All of my playtime is either dailies that I'm sick of or waiting for groups.

I feel you on that. I'm shy 1 piece of a full set of columni gear and have been unable for a month in getting a raid together so Rakata and higher gear is really sort of out of the question, so I think I'm done for a while once I get that last piece. Without real server merges, I get the feeling the way transfers will be handled will be totally wrong and I'll be no better off than I am now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

TERA was fun when I played it last year but I can't go back to that kind of quest system. I was bored after 2 hours during the US beta.

Draxal

I was also bored by Tera's questing, it's just last generation in that regard. However I'm starting to get pretty bored in TOR now, if you're not in an active guild, game's pretty much dead besides alting/pvp (and I find pvp frustrating because 6 v 8 all the time is not fun).

They really have to think of something to do for the casual player besides new dailies every patch (at looking at the patch leaks to 1.4 they have dailies planned for every one, don't know what else is going to be in them obviously).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was also bored by Tera's questing, it's just last generation in that regard. However I'm starting to get pretty bored in TOR now, if you're not in an active guild, game's pretty much dead besides alting/pvp (and I find pvp frustrating because 6 v 8 all the time is not fun).

They really have to think of something to do for the casual player besides new dailies every patch (at looking at the patch leaks to 1.4 they have dailies planned for every one, don't know what else is going to be in them obviously).

I'm not bored yet but they really need to give people something to do besides a gear/money grind. I'm sure it's coming at some point but they need something to keep people subbed in the short term.

CzarTim

One of the few days in the year they had an excuse to do some kind of game event and they didnt bother? crazy.
1uwZZ.jpg

I'm not bored yet but they really need to give people something to do besides a gear/money grind. I'm sure it's coming at some point but they need something to keep people subbed in the short term.

Outside of an expansion, likely wont be seeing much outside of gear progression and more of what we have seen already. New flashpoints, dailies, gear, operations.

They make it sound like they plan on adding new story content to the classes this year but wondering how they actually plan on doing that, or if it's just going to be generic story stuff that everyone does, but with just different dialogues based on class.

StudioTan

Outside of an expansion, likely wont be seeing much outside of gear progression and more of what we have seen already. New flashpoints, dailies, gear, operations.

They make it sound like they plan on adding new story content to the classes this year but wondering how they actually plan on doing that, or if it's just going to be generic story stuff that everyone does, but with just different dialogues based on class.

I'm talking more about stuff like Pazaak and player/guild housing in some form. Adding new stuff to the achievements that give fluff rewards or titles for completing sets of them. Stuff that doesn't even require combat.

Jomjom

Banned
Wow really no event whatsoever for today? If this is what Bioware meant when it said it was going to bring innovation to the MMO space with SWTOR, I don't want any part of it.

Francois424

Neo Member
"Innovation to the Space MMO"

Beside EVE Online, has any other MMO companies actually bottered to make anything good?
But even EVE isn't that good in my book, because there does not appear to be a cap to prevent players from becoming virtual gods with enough time...
At least in SWTOR cap is level50 and everyone has the same ships more or less.

Best thing? UT will drop orange belt/bracer schems in 1.3!
That's awsome ! Can't wait for 1.3 then.

bjb

Banned
You would think given the overall negative direction this game is torpedoing towards, they would drop hints surrounding upcoming features / content.

Yet another terrible Q&A.

You would think given the overall negative direction this game is torpedoing towards, they would drop hints surrounding upcoming features / content.

They have pretty much said whats coming in 1.3 already feature wise in the Q&A's.

The actual content has already been spoiled for the next several updates too.

Izayoi

Banned
On the removal of exit area when in combat... have they fixed the myriad of bugs that get your entire group permanently stuck in combat in flashpoints/operations? That seems like a rather silly thing to remove...

StudioTan

I think their direction is great, it's just not coming fast enough.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
They just really screwed up PvP. Half the decent PvPers on KV have already quit, all my PvP oriented buddies quit after the 2nd month to go back to WoW arena. Truth is, PvP is just a straight up grind in TOR, launching without some form of ranked PvP, arena system, or awesome open world PvP areas that keep people logging in day in and day out and keeps the PvP fresh really killed half the playerbase.

They just really screwed up PvP. Half the decent PvPers on KV have already quit, all my PvP oriented buddies quit after the 2nd month to go back to WoW arena. Truth is, PvP is just a straight up grind in TOR, launching without some form of ranked PvP, arena system, or awesome open world PvP areas that keep people logging in day in and day out and keeps the PvP fresh really killed half the playerbase.

They probably have lost lot more due to the many other issues and stuff like no dungeon finder, dual specs, and population imbalances.

PVP is always a smaller sect of the MMO populations. They lost players there too, but the game launched missing alot of things.

CzarTim

They probably have lost lot more due to the many other issues and stuff like no dungeon finder, dual specs, and population imbalances.

PVP is always a smaller sect of the MMO populations. They lost players there too, but the game launched missing alot of things.

SWTOR is the exception to that rule. They've already said they have shifted a lot of resources over to PVP and were "surprised" by its popularity.

I know I don't log in as often as I would do to not being able to jump into a match whenever I want.

Moaradin

On the removal of exit area when in combat... have they fixed the myriad of bugs that get your entire group permanently stuck in combat in flashpoints/operations? That seems like a rather silly thing to remove...

Pretty sure those bugs have been fixed a long time ago. The new raid is generally a lot more polished than the launch one.

Draxal

SWTOR is the exception to that rule. They've already said they have shifted a lot of resources over to PVP and were "surprised" by its popularity.

I know I don't log in as often as I would do to not being able to jump into a match whenever I want.

I really don't think it is in all honesty, the pvp matching system is light years ahead of the pve flashpoint grouping. More people are forced to pvp than wanted to, I know I did the initial pvping just to gear up while waiting for guildies to catch up to my level (who have since quit).

CzarTim

I really don't think it is in all honesty, the pvp matching system is light years ahead of the pve flashpoint grouping. More people are forced to pvp than wanted to, I know I did the initial pvping just to gear up while waiting for guildies to catch up to my level (who have since quit).

Even if that is the real reason (and it probably is), the fact remains that a large portion of the community regularly participates in Warzones.

Cystm

They were honestly surprised that people wanted to PVP in a Star Wars game?

A lot of the impressions I have gotten from interviews with Daniel Erickson, and some of the other designers left me feeling like PvP was this side project for some apparently small niche community in their eyes.

That said, I have actually enjoy the hell out of PvP.

Top Bottom