• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
is it also normal that it goes directly into a new game, with no start menu option? i.e. how do I get to an online game?

granted, I'd love the single player game to work, but I get no options here.

Bebpo

Banned
Tieno said:
There have been freezing problems popping up with every big release on the 360 (Gears, Halo, etc), with PS3 it seems more specific/peculiar.

The difference is that the X360 freezing in GTAIV sounds like it's at the same spots as the PS3 one (during cutscenes, audio keeps going). Which sounds like a it's a software bug, since it's the same spot on two completely different types of hardware with different media formats.

Firewire

Banned
BruceWayneIII said:
Would be weird too, because one is using DVD and the other is using Blu-ray.

Its really weird!

I don't think it can be a software problem, because some people aren't having problems at all, and the software is the same on every disc. It also unlikely to be the install either as its happening to 360's as well and they don't have the install. Also it happening to random units 20GB, 60GB, Premiums & Elites (what I have read so far) so I don't really think its hardware based, it really points to bad discs I think.

Takes off Sherlock hat!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
EviLore said:
No idea why sonycowboy would lock it. Rest assured that this one is staying open though.
Good to hear.

Superblatt said:
The GOOD news is that your closed thread has a lot of GAF regulars that have 60gig units and absolutely no problems.
Yeah. My copy was just delivered at home.
I have a 20 gig so I'm keeping my ear open all around.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Logo.JPG

First Bully, now GTA.

"Only effects older models, even though there is absolutely no difference"

Argyle

Firewire said:
Its really weird!

I don't think it can be a software problem, because some people aren't having problems at all, and the software is the same on every disc. It also unlikely to be the install either as its happening to 360's as well and they don't have the install. Also it happening to random units 20GB, 60GB, Premiums & Elites (what I have read so far) so I don't really think its hardware based, it really points to bad discs I think.

Takes off Sherlock hat!

If it is a software problem, it could be a rare race condition that is a lot less rare on certain variants of the hardware...which, if it is really happening on 360 also, would explain why it is a multiplatform bug...

Jim

LiK said:
Bully, GTAIV...

Midnight Club L.A.... look out!

Seriously though: complicated multiplatform game + several hardware revisions + possibly sub-par QA = potential for crap like this

Firewire

Banned
I've been looking for a European trace of this and haven't been able to find anything about it happening in Europe. I think that would further increase the argument that this is a bad batch of disc's that were distributed in N.A.

Baker

Banned
neojubei said:
You guys got me terrified now.

I'm going to stop worrying about it.

I'll wait until after work to pick it up now, just to see if R* makes a statement. If it's broke, I'll exchange it. If it's broke again, I'll try and get the 360 version.

Well, if we've learned one thing about the current generation of consoles, it's this:

Hardware variation leads to a significantly higher likelihood of products malfunctioning.

I don't know about you guys, but this is one of the main reason I stopped gaming on my PC many years ago -- the constant headache of potential hardware/software conflicts due to the millions of PC configs. Consoles have always had a singular architecture, so this problem was elminated through bug testing the software on ONE piece of hardware.

Now, with all of these variants (20, 60, 80gig PS3, core, premium, elite 360's) we're seeing the bugs explode. Add the complexity of the systems and the programming on TOP of the variation and it's easy to see why we're having so many problems.

If Sony and Microsoft had only chosen one hardware config...

Baker said:
I'm going to stop worrying about it.

I'll wait until after work to pick it up now, just to see if R* makes a statement. If it's broke, I'll exchange it. If it's broke again, I'll try and get the 360 version.

R* already said the exact same problem is happening on the 360.

Loudninja

He said the problem is not across the board for the 60GB PS3s but rather only impacts some, so their tech folks are working around the clock to try and figure out what is causing the issue.

He did ask me to make sure that my harddrive wasn't full and that I had the latest firmware update, but confessed that that really isn't what's causing most of the problem. He also said that the Xbox 360 is having the "exact same problem," which has further stumped their tech folks.

http://kotaku.com/385183/rockstar-support-no-gta-freeze-fix-in-sight

I hope its very soon.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm going later today to pick up my copy from Circuit City. I was going to have an employee actually test out the game for me before I buy it, but then I realize they must install it first and what not. I don't know if that's viable.

Baker

Banned
BruceWayneIII said:
R* already said the exact same problem is happening on the 360.

True. However, if the problem is linked to the actual console (PS3), getting the 360 version gives me a new chance at having a working copy.

Is this problem only happening during the opening scene? Just wondering if their playback libraries have a design problem or something similiar.

Superblatt said:
Consoles have always had a singular architecture, so this problem was elminated through bug testing the software on ONE piece of hardware.

Now, with all of these variants (20, 60, 80gig PS3, core, premium, elite 360's) we're seeing the bugs explode.

The hardware - outside of hard drive capacity - is exactly the same. Internal changes to hardware have always happened over time (the PS2 had something like 10 internal revisions before the Slim was launched), this generation is no different.

adg1034

TheJollyCorner said:
is it also normal that it goes directly into a new game, with no start menu option? i.e. how do I get to an online game?

granted, I'd love the single player game to work, but I get no options here.

I believe you go into the SP game and use Niko's cell phone to go into MP mode. Don't have the game myself, yet, but that's what I remember from the previews.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
My copy just arrived,I guess I'll go test it out on my launch US 20 gb unit *upgraded to 160 gb*

Wish me luck *gulp*

G-Bus

Banned
Must say, I'm kind of worried. This isn't something I wanted to see when I woke up this morning. I go to get my copy in an hour and I got a 60 GB unit. *fingers crossed*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh goodie, this sounds pretty bad. I almost wish I had picked it up on 360 instead as the chances of it occuring there seem lower. I suppose we'll find out soon enough, however. I have a 60gb US PS3 that I purchased 2 weeks after launch.

This really does remind me of the old Dreamcast days (worrying about whether or not the game will work properly out of the package).

dark10x

norman603 said:
I don't see people from teamxbox complaining
Perhaps there IS a problem with the 360 version, but more likely, it seems like any 360 issues could be traced to malfunctioning hardware (which is very common with XBOX360). In the case of the PS3 version, it seems to be a software problem as these systems have no additional problems. If it really is limited to older 60gb units, I'd imagine the problem stems from changes made to the hardware over time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
it's probably a problem with each machine's laser. the game is constantly streaming data off the disc, making it sound like a lawnmower (360).

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Matrix said:
My copy just arrived,I guess I'll go test it out on my launch US 20 gb unit *upgraded to 160 gb*

Wish me luck *gulp*

Good luck Matrix.

Mine is coming soon, hopefully now.

dark10x

KTallguy said:
I have no problem with my PS3 copy here.
It works great.
It's good to hear that the game is having no issues for some people, but it would be even better if you could let us know which type of PS3 you are using and which region your game was purchased in.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
A shitload of my friends picked the game yesterday at launch (360), and they have been playing just fine. I have midterms this week, so I will not pick it up until Saturday. They say the multiplayer is awesome though. Now I am really interested.

rjcc

_leech_ said:
The hardware - outside of hard drive capacity - is exactly the same. Internal changes to hardware have always happened over time (the PS2 had something like 10 internal revisions before the Slim was launched), this generation is no different.

This isn't true though. Different hardware configs did cause some problems with PS2 games. the slim ones didn't work with certain games IIRC. The chipsets have changed from different versions of the ps3, same with the 360.

Opiate

Can any 360 owners of the game verify freezing issues? Thus far everyone who has posted in here with issues has been a PS3 owner.

this is what i hate about current gen.

it seems like every game that comes out, causes problems for 0,1% or 0,05% of the units. then they update the firmware and fix it.

i hate that, speacially because i'm paranoid with those reliability issues. i'm in the "can't have failures club" (PS3 owner in latin america, bought overseas, there's no warranty), so things like these really make you paranoid.

on the bright side, i'll probably have to wait a month or two before i get my hands on the game, so by thn i hope a firmware has already been released fixing the issue.

Top Bottom