• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JRW

Finished GTA4's story and currently have over 50 hours logged, not a single crash or issue on my October 2005 build (launch) Xbox 360.

Struct09

JRW said:
Finished GTA4's story and currently have over 50 hours logged, not a single crash or issue on my October 2005 build (launch) Xbox 360.

Holy crap, that Xbox hasn't RROD'd yet? I would hope that it RROD's before October this year if it hasn't yet, as that's when the extended warranty expires.

_dd_

JRW said:

I'll join you in that group :D (nocrash/launch360)

Ugh, restoring my system has been a nightmare.

Problems I've encounter is:

1) The restore had trouble putting save files under the right profile
2) Once you bind a PSN account to a profile, there is NO WAY to change it
3) Profiles are listed in the order that you create them and no way to organize it

Its been a nightmare. I'm now at a point where I have to format and start over the recovery process. Bleh.

Argyle

Marty Chinn said:
Ugh, restoring my system has been a nightmare.

Problems I've encounter is:

1) The restore had trouble putting save files under the right profile
2) Once you bind a PSN account to a profile, there is NO WAY to change it
3) Profiles are listed in the order that you create them and no way to organize it

Its been a nightmare. I'm now at a point where I have to format and start over the recovery process. Bleh.

Don't let this happen to you - read my posts in this thread. :)

My replacement PS3 should be arriving soon...but it is being sent to my house, so I won't be home to receive it (and UPS is not open on the weekend for me to pick it up, unlike FedEx)

cjdunn

I did the deed and made the call. Coffin for my 60GB launch system (manufactured December 2006) is en route.

I also had a 60GB system bought in October 2007 (manufactured February 2007*) available to me and GTA IV started right up.

*lol, nobody bought the poor little feller for months

Peter303

This is a question for those who sent their 60gig machines away to be replaced and have had them returned. How is GTA4 now, does it freeze at all?

My PS3 has been away at Sony for repair for over a month now, hopefully it should be back next week.

n1n9tean

Banned
Peter303 said:
This is a question for those who sent their 60gig machines away to be replaced and have had them returned. How is GTA4 now, does it freeze at all?

My PS3 has been away at Sony for repair for over a month now, hopefully it should be back next week.
I got my PS3 back a day or two ago. But, I didn't want to unpack it and hook it up until I bought a skin from DecalGirl (primary reason: to protect from scratches) and added some filters over the vents to keep out dust. I'm also in the process of moving to CA.

BUT, I have a few days before I leave so I think I'm just going to go ahead and give it a try.

One thing I can say right now is that the casing looks good and there aren't any noticeable scraps or scratches. So, the case looks good. More importantly, my old PS3 that I sent in was manufactured in December of '06; my new PS3 (Sony exchanged) was manufactured in November of '06. So, I'm pretty sure it will work with GTAIV. Besides, I mean, of course Sony tested it before they sent it back.

In any case, they extended my warranty by 90 days; so, I'm not worried about a thing. (It was out of warranty when I sent it in.) :D

cjdunn

Peter303 said:

A month? Was yours a launch system? Some people are getting "repairs" and I've seen others' replacements ship the day their original arrives at the service center.

BTW, yesterday I backed up my 160GB drive and today I put the original 60GB back in. I did a full format (i.e. Restore PS3).

So, clean slate. As clean as it possibly could get.

I put in GTA IV, waited for install and it started up. It froze immediately when Nicco was knocking on the door in the ship. :lol

n1n9tean

Banned
cjdunn said:
A month? Was yours a launch system? Some people are getting "repairs" and I've seen others' replacements ship the day their original arrives at the service center.

BTW, yesterday I backed up my 160GB drive and today I put the original 60GB back in. I did a full format (i.e. Restore PS3).

So, clean slate. As clean as it possibly could get.

I put in GTA IV, waited for install and it started up. It froze immediately when Nicco was knocking on the door in the ship. :lol

It seems like mine came back waaay sooner than I had anticipated it to. When I got the email on the returning tracking info, I actually thought for a minute that they had just sent my old system back because I didn't have proof of purchase (even though they told me everything was cool on the phone). What had me concerned was the instruction sheet that came in the shipping box that said a proof of purchase is MANDATORY.

Peter303

cjdunn said:

It wasn't quite a launch system, maybe a month or two after launch. I'm in Australia which might explain the long time to get it back.

cjdunn

Wow. So my PS3 was delivered to the service center today and just now I got a tracking number for the refurb (I assume). Same day turnaround. Given other reports, I expected this but I'm still a little surprised.

Um, I know I'm a bit late to the party, but GTAIV makes my Xbox 360 freeze up a lot. There's nothing I can do to fix it? Ugh, I just got my 360 back!

I downloaded the update and it still freezes constantly. I just tried three times to finish a game of pool with Michelle and I can't get through it. I'm fucking pissed off because I was looking forward to playing this for the entire month and a half that Microsoft was "fixing" my Xbox, and now they sent me a replacement that can't even play GTA IV. It's just so frustrating.

FUCK

NolbertoS

So did Rockstar or Sony ever clarify what caused the problems in GTAIV not loading up?? For the record, I have a 2007 60GB PS3, but don't have it connected to the PSN network, due to my gf not having internet connection in her place. I've never encountered any problems in the game, but I'm hesitant to connect the PS3 to PSN, as I've got internet connection in my place, but am afraid that it's going to fuck up my PS3 and freeze it?? Hopefully Rockstar fixes the problem. After I'm done my game, I'll seal it away and buy a used 360 GTAIV to play on the the 360, as I heard there weren't many game breaking glitches on it.

Paznos

Got the patch for PS3 and was able to complete 2 missions and it hasn't locked up yet, usually does before I'm done with 1, will have to test it more to see if it's fixed my problems though.

cjdunn

I'm afraid to say it, zoku88, but you need to get yours replaced. Sent mine in last week. It should have been returned today, but that dick of a UPS guy only had the patience to ring the doorbell once.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1034
Rockstar Games, GTA IV's publisher, and Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) are both aware that an issue may have affected a limited number of our consumers who purchased GTA IV. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Although we have seen an extremely low volume of contacts to our customer service department regarding such an issue, we want to ensure that every consumer has a great experience on our console and with GTA IV. We have identified a solution that should resolve your issue.

Online Game Play Issues
For users experiencing online game play issues, Rockstar Games has released a patch on May 7, 2008, that resolves some known issues. Please read about the patch for details.

Offline Game Play Issues
For players who are experiencing offline freezing problems when attempting to load GTA IV from the beginning, please contact Consumer Services at the number below. Our agents will be ready to assist you with a solution after speaking with you to confirm some information.

SCEA Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., PST
Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., PST

So what was the solution for the PS3 fix? Send it in and hope they fix it?

I still haven't bought GTA IV in fear of it not working on my 60GB system. I got it in June of 2007... so my year warranty is already done this month.

cjdunn

Whelp, I'm back in action (sorta).

My refurb was delivered today. Its manufacture date is February 2007. GTA IV finally started up all the way.

Now I have to redownload all my PSN software and add-ons. And copy my PS2 saves back. :(

SickBoy

homez99 said:
Yeah I just got it too, I wonder what it does?

I'd guess it might fix the crash issues some people were having (DRE errors with perfectly fine discs). I suffered through that a little bit, but to be honest after wiping the disc, even though it's pristine and didn't have any actual dust on it, I've had a few 2-hour play sessions without incident.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Well, my PS3 bricked the day 2.40 was released, though I never downloaded it(2.40 has bricked some launch 60GBs though, I'm guessing my would be a victim). So I guess I'll be calling Sony today about a refurb. This mess will finally be over with personally.

I thought this problem only affected the PS3 version, but my 360 has crashed several times while playing Grand Theft Auto IV. I have a Falcon, that replaced my original Falcon, which I was storing in a fairly restrictive cabinet. Now, I'm storing the new one in open air, so I don't think overheating is a problem. It's standing vertically, and the only section that's even partially blocked aside from the bottom is on one side, which is only about 6 inches away from my TV. My TV releases any heat it gives off at the top though, which the 360 isn't near, so I really doubt there are any problems. Yet, Grand Theft Auto IV has crashed. No other games have crashed for me. I even tried clearing my cache... more than once actually, but it still seems to happen. It's been less severe of late, as the freezing hasn't forced me to shut off the console, and has only lasted a few seconds at most, but still, it's there.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
Darn, I was hoping that you could test it because 2.4 fixes something and I don't know if its related to GTA4.
I still haven't turned in my PS3, but my PS3 is in brutal form. It's actually identical to the GTA4 problems...Turn it on, it works, but after the intial start-up, it freezes sometimes ten seconds in, or sometimes a minute in. I'm going to try and get a refurb. What exactly do they try and confirm with you about GTA over the phone? Anything?

I'm about ready to chuck my PS3 out the fucking window.

I had no problems with this game freezing until the very last level (if killing of Pegarino is the last level) and now it freezes every time I play. I've probably played the same level 15 times, and it freezes whether I'm playing that level or not.

I gotta a 60 from launch.

Anyone else getting this problem only this late...solutions?

LordMaji

Yeah... This sucks. My 360 keeps locking up on GTA 4. Freezes just randomly. Went and had Gamestop swap discs for me. Nope. Still freezing.

It seems a rare thing for a 360 to have this issue. But w/e. It was either GTA or Eternal Sonata... ugh.

No solutions eh?

squicken

I had to install it to my 60GB to get it to stop freezing. It sucks b/c playing TLaD with game installed to HDD makes the performance go way down. But running off disk, game would freeze within 30 minutes.

LordMaji

squicken said:
I had to install it to my 60GB to get it to stop freezing. It sucks b/c playing TLaD with game installed to HDD makes the performance go way down. But running off disk, game would freeze within 30 minutes.

Ya know, i never tried to install it... good call, will do when i get home.

Top Bottom