• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the external case in brand new condition? What about fans? I heard some systems are louder than others and mine is pretty quiet. I would hate to trade up to a louder system and a case that's not in mint condition for a problem that is likely fixable in software and not really the fault of my perfectly working hardware otherwise.

Plus as I've said Singstar comes out tomorrow and I'd also have to worry about deactivating my system from several accounts. It really is such a hassle for something that Rockstar really should be fixing.

bigswords

Marty Chinn said:
Is the external case in brand new condition? What about fans? I heard some systems are louder than others and mine is pretty quiet. I would hate to trade up to a louder system and a case that's not in mint condition for a problem that is likely fixable in software and not really the fault of my perfectly working hardware otherwise.

Plus as I've said Singstar comes out tomorrow and I'd also have to worry about deactivating my system from several accounts. It really is such a hassle for something that Rockstar really should be fixing.

For Sony Singapore I have a friend which went through the exchange process. The system he got back has the new casing (mint condition, no scratches etc..) and the fans were whisper quiet. Honestly we can't tell it apart whether it's a new system or refurbished one. I can understand why you are reluctant to exchange your system. But a refurb from Sony is not the same as a refurb from 360.

Now if it was a refurbished xbox 360 I would rather cautious to be honest.

Honestly exchange your system (Sony's doing it for free to your account I mean why not), and play GTA4!!!

Offline Game Play Issues
For players who are experiencing offline freezing problems when attempting to load GTA IV from the beginning, please contact Consumer Services at the number below. Our agents will be ready to assist you with a solution after speaking with you to confirm some information.

what information do they want from you when calling in about this?

BTRA

Banned
BTRA said:
And the question still remains how so many reviewers never had a single problem.

davepoobond said:
that is kind of interesting...

professor_t said:
Hmm . . .

I think there's probably a REALLY big story here. Who are the investigative journalists on GAF?

Why has no one bothered to think of this? Seriously, questions need to be raised. A huge hyped up game is released with many system killing bugs and not a single reviewer came across this problem? There is just no way that that could have happened.

Just checked, PS3 package was delivered according to UPS, so the count begins

May 20, 2008 PS3 received, lets see how long it takes for the exchange.

well fellas, I'm trading GTA4 in for credit towards MGS4.

3 weeks and no reasonable fix in sight for me. Now Sony recommends I send my whole fucking system to them for a refurb that might allow the game to play. 2-4 weeks? No way. Other than GTAIV my 20gig is flawless, not to mention it's also the center of my entertainment hub.

sorry guys. Looks like I won't be tearing up Liberty City with you dudes. Believe me, no one is more fucking disappointed than I am.

this whole thing is just complete shit for me...

Raistlin

bigswords said:
Honestly how are they going to have firmware update JUST for the launch PS3 and not affect the 80 Gig and 40 gig PS3s? It will be a logistic nightmare, I don't think this is true does not make sense.

Not at all.

Unless Sony really fails at HW design, there is a register you can poke to get the HW rev.

Hey guys,

A mate of mine just rang me about GTAIV crashing on his 360 10 minutes into the game, so I informed him about the situation. I also told him it's 'killing' some 360s, but mostly PS3s so he shouldn't have to worry. I said, maybe try getting anew copy, but it probably wouldn't do anything.

10 minutes later (about now) he rang me again..."Shit, my 360 RRODed". Now, as far as I was aware there was no patch up for the 360 yet.

So I thought of something...When the AV cables are unplugged, the 360 automatically RRODs, because 3 Red Lights denotes hardware failure, so if the AV Cables are unplugges, a piece of 'hardware' is missing, hence the red lights.

So I figure, since the GTAIV issue is killing machines without there really being anything wrong with the console physically, I thought "Maybe you can fool the 360 into thinking it's only problem, is that the AV cables are missing. Take out the AVs and turn on your console, it should still RROD. Turn it off, then re-plug in the AVs and turn it on, might just work".

I hang on the line, and presto, his 360 is back on and operational. I told him not to play GTA, but his 360 is working.

Now as far as I'm aware, he didn't follow my method exactly. I think he re-plugged the AVs while the console was still on. Both methods may work.

It might not be a 100% fix for those guys whose 360s are dead, but if it worked for one, it should work for others.

Let me know how you guys go, and I hope it helps you.

Struct09

GTA doesn't RROD consoles, if a console RROD's it was going to anyway. We go through this whenever a new and popular title is released.

Also, the error code for an unplugged AV cable is different than the 3 red lights. I believe it displays 4 red lights.

Struct09 said:
GTA doesn't RROD consoles, if a console RROD's it was going to anyway. We go through this whenever a new and popular title is released.

Also, the error code for an unplugged AV cable is different than the 3 red lights. I believe it displays 4 red lights.

Well, I've tested it, and I've always received 3 red lights for an unplugged cable.

I've also heard of a few people's consoles RRODing with GTAIV. A little bit too much of a coincidence no?

His 360 was perfectly fine, then GTA crashes, he tries a few more times, same thing. He takes the game out, restarts the 360....RROD. I seriously doubt that was just a coincidence.

He's playing his 360 as we speak right now, so the trick must have done something

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Well, I've tested it, and I've always received 3 red lights for an unplugged cable.

I've also heard of a few people's consoles RRODing with GTAIV. A little bit too much of a coincidence no?

His 360 was perfectly fine, then GTA crashes, he tries a few more times, same thing. He takes the game out, restarts the 360....RROD. I seriously doubt that was just a coincidence.

He's playing his 360 as we speak right now, so the trick must have done something

It's just a coincidence. Your system is dying and it has nothing to do with GTA4.

I caved. I called Sony today. They're sending me my coffin. What a fucked up generation this is. I've had to request coffins for both my Xbox 360 and my PS3.

BTRA said:
Why has no one bothered to think of this? Seriously, questions need to be raised. A huge hyped up game is released with many system killing bugs and not a single reviewer came across this problem? There is just no way that that could have happened.

Is is unreasonable to think that TakeTwo/Rockstar told media outlets to not mention these technical issues? How would they even enforce this?

It sounds fishy, but I have a hard time believing none of the reviewers (especially those playing the PS3 version) ran into a single noteworthy problem.

After seeing what happened with Gamespot earlier this year, it seems like almost anything is possible.

Edit: Unless, somehow, this only happens with retail versions and not the reviewable copies most outlets receive . . .

djkimothy

Marty Chinn said:
I caved. I called Sony today. They're sending me my coffin. What a fucked up generation this is. I've had to request coffins for both my Xbox 360 and my PS3.

The sad thing was, nothing was really wrong with your PS3.

LaMeRz

Played 15 hours on the 360 fine. All of a sudden now every time I try to play I get the disc error. Really annoying..it works without the hard drive plugged in but I am not gonna erase my save and have another save do the same thing

ROCKSTAR HELP US!!

bigswords

LaMeRz said:
Played 15 hours on the 360 fine. All of a sudden now every time I try to play I get the disc error. Really annoying..it works without the hard drive plugged in but I am not gonna erase my save and have another save do the same thing

ROCKSTAR HELP US!!

You have a friend with a memory cart? Copy your save to cart and see whether the game loads up , if it does probably there might be something wrong with the harddisk.

I wonder if this Sony thing is a free ticket to a replacement console pretty much whenever? Can you call in 2 years from now, say I just bought Grand Theft Auto and (name off list of typical symptoms from this thread)... and they go, sorry to hear that, send it to us and you get a new console?

I'm sure people will have no idea about this problem around now, who might buy the game next year for example.

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I wonder if this Sony thing is a free ticket to a replacement console pretty much whenever? Can you call in 2 years from now, say I just bought Grand Theft Auto and (name off list of typical symptoms from this thread)... and they go, sorry to hear that, send it to us and you get a new console?

I'm sure people will have no idea about this problem around now, who might buy the game next year for example.

Sure it is. The problem is, how easy will it be to get a replacement 60 gig unit 2 years from now?

gluv65 said:
Just checked, PS3 package was delivered according to UPS, so the count begins

May 20, 2008 PS3 received, lets see how long it takes for the exchange.

UPS tracking email issued, scheduled arrival is May 28, 2008, it would have been May 27, 2008 but due to the holiday I have to wait one extra day. I'm receiving an exchange PS3 factory warranted for 90 days since my original PS3 was out of warranty.

bigswords

gluv65 said:
UPS tracking email issued, scheduled arrival is May 28, 2008, it would have been May 27, 2008 but due to the holiday I have to wait one extra day. I'm receiving an exchange PS3 factory warranted for 90 days since my original PS3 was out of warranty.

Good luck, do update us once you receive back your PS3.

Marty Chinn said:
Sure it is. The problem is, how easy will it be to get a replacement 60 gig unit 2 years from now?

2 years from now if you find yourself with a broken system, I should hope you would be happy enough to trade it for a working 80/160/250... (???) for free, no?

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
My 360 version froze for the first time last night. More than 40 hours in, im worried my 360 is close to dying now. :(

LaMeRz

bigswords said:
You have a friend with a memory cart? Copy your save to cart and see whether the game loads up , if it does probably there might be something wrong with the harddisk.

I am going to go buy a memory card and test it out...are there any other signs that the hard drive may be dying? I tried to stream some shows over my network and they come all choppy but work on my PS3..is this also a hard drive problem?

bengraven

Keeps freezing up on me before loading the intro to Vlad's second mission. I can go on dates or do that first quest for "Brian", but I can't do Vlad's work.

bigswords

LaMeRz said:
I am going to go buy a memory card and test it out...are there any other signs that the hard drive may be dying? I tried to stream some shows over my network and they come all choppy but work on my PS3..is this also a hard drive problem?

Hmm not sure about streaming though have you tried streaming without the harddisk? Sorry I did forgot to ask you to clear out your cache on your harddisk first before getting the memory stick.

i was halfway thru the game when i started experienceing slow down and freezing issues. tried all my other games and they all crash or freeze up. l have a 40 gig unit. i called sony and they are sending me a coffin. fucking game.

LaMeRz

bigswords said:
Hmm not sure about streaming though have you tried streaming without the harddisk? Sorry I did forgot to ask you to clear out your cache on your harddisk first before getting the memory stick.

I cleared teh cache, bought a mem card and it still did not work..guess my data is causing the problem. Any idea whether rockstar is gonna patch the game at all? I do not want to put in 15 more hours for this to happen again.

any news out of rockstar?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
i was halfway thru the game when i started experienceing slow down and freezing issues. tried all my other games and they all crash or freeze up. l have a 40 gig unit. i called sony and they are sending me a coffin. fucking game.

I seriously doubt GTA IV broke your system.

bigswords

LaMeRz said:
I cleared teh cache, bought a mem card and it still did not work..guess my data is causing the problem. Any idea whether rockstar is gonna patch the game at all? I do not want to put in 15 more hours for this to happen again.

any news out of rockstar?

Hmmm that is strange, have you tried starting a new game? Does it boot up?

professor_t said:
Just check out the thread title. The PS3 version has been patched; only the 360 version doesn't have a fix yet.

The thread title is incorrect. There is a patch but the PS3 isn't completely fixed. Only the online bug is.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
help. is there a patch or not? oh......mgs4 is coming up. fucking game.

I got the coffin on April 19,2008 it was overnight and they received my PS3 on April 20, 2008. Sony shipped my exchange PS3 via UPS 3 day select on April 22, 2008, and its scheduled to arrive on April 28, 2008. Thats a pretty quick turn around especially they stated 10 to 14 business days. So I assume with the exchange, since they are not repairing just exchanging is a lot quicker than what they are quoting.

theBishop

Banned
gluv65 said:
I got the coffin on April 19,2008 it was overnight and they received my PS3 on April 20, 2008. Sony shipped my exchange PS3 via UPS 3 day select on April 22, 2008, and its scheduled to arrive on April 28, 2008. Thats a pretty quick turn around especially they stated 10 to 14 business days. So I assume with the exchange, since they are not repairing just exchanging is a lot quicker than what they are quoting.

That's for a 60GB too? Damn, not bad. Still, I'm borrowing a 40GB from Wal-Mart until my 60 returns home, so they can take their time.

bigswords

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no. not unless you are covered by the warranty. at least for me.

Oh that sucks, though that Sony would allow you to exchange your console even if you were out of warranty (launch 60 gigs).

jett said:
Wow so Sony is taking in ANY PS3 consoles that don't work for GTA4 and replacing them for free??

My PS3 was out of warranty and it was freezing with GTAIV, Sony exchanged my out of warranty PS3 in what they are calling "A one time gesture of goodwill" for the limited amount of people experiencing problems with the game.

The PS3 they are shipping comes with a limited 90 day warranty. The beauty of this is, my PS3 was freezing and crashing with several games and I was planning to send it in for repair, so the timing could have not been better.

LaMeRz

LaMeRz said:

ROCKSTAR HELP US!!

My 360 seems to have been correct. Even though my copy never left the 360...it must have gotten scratched by the console. I bought one of the disc scratch repair kits and now the game works flawlessly

evil solrac v3.0 said:
no. not unless you are covered by the warranty. at least for me.

You got screwed. It's their policy to take back PS3s that have the crashing issues where it prevents you from playing the game at all in the first cut scene. You have to specifically mention GTA4 is crashing your game in the opening cinema for them to recognize the free replacement.

Marty Chinn said:
You got screwed. It's their policy to take back PS3s that have the crashing issues where it prevents you from playing the game at all in the first cut scene. You have to specifically mention GTA4 is crashing your game in the opening cinema for them to recognize the free replacement.

should i call them again or is it too late? just to clarify though i dont have a proof of purchase for the system which i bought in december. they wont cover me unless i have some proof of purchase. so i am stuck. i guess. who the fuck keeps receipts from six months ago? and i did tell them GTA4 was crashing but not in the intro cut scene.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
should i call them again or is it too late? just to clarify though i dont have a proof of purchase for the system which i bought in december. they wont cover me unless i have some proof of purchase. so i am stuck. i guess. who the fuck keeps receipts from six months ago? and i did tell them GTA4 was crashing but not in the intro cut scene.

You don't need proof. You should call them again as it's probably not too late. They should be able to refund you for the cost of the repair. All I had to do is tell them the month and year it was purchased.

Pimpwerx

My PS3 has crashed a few times on me, and during the opening cutscene. Of course, it only did this a couple of times, and not once since the patch came out. I have a 60GB machine, but not launch. I got it last August, but wouldn't mind getting an exchange, if it's a new system. I don't really want to exchange for a refurb. Should I give Sony a call? I don't mind the down time if it means I'll have a new machine under my tv at the end of it. I was gonna do something like that before the warranty expired anyway, but now sounds like a good time to do it anyway. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
My PS3 has crashed a few times on me, and during the opening cutscene. Of course, it only did this a couple of times, and not once since the patch came out. I have a 60GB machine, but not launch. I got it last August, but wouldn't mind getting an exchange, if it's a new system. I don't really want to exchange for a refurb. Should I give Sony a call? I don't mind the down time if it means I'll have a new machine under my tv at the end of it. I was gonna do something like that before the warranty expired anyway, but now sounds like a good time to do it anyway. PEACE.

Considering they don't make 60 gig units anymore, it is all but guarenteed to be a refurb.

Top Bottom