• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Supposedly this was posted and then removed from their support site:

***UPDATE May 12, 2008: For players who are experiencing freezing problems when attempting to load the game from the beginning, please contact Consumer Services at the number below. Our agents will be ready to assist you with a solution after speaking with you to confirm some information.***

SCEA Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., PST
Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., PST

You can find the support link here:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1034

I think they did remove it because when I went earlier it didn't have the note from Rockstar just the initial info about the patch. Now they have the details from rockstar about the patch. On top of that look at the last updated, it was updated on the 12th. So I bet it went up and then went down.

So it seems like Sony is somehwat acknowledging that there is a problem. It is also the third most popular topic on their support site.

I'm not sure where to ask this question but I've been having serious problems with the online for 360.
Apart from the first day where it was fine, I'm not able to join any of the competitive modes like deathmatch and races. When I try to join a player or ranked game, it starts loading and then I hear other people talking then it stops and puts me in a lobby by myself and no one is able to join.

I can join the mini mission modes, but this is the only 360 game to do this apart from COD4, where I had a strict NAT and opened it then it was fine.

N.A

Banned
My 360 version just froze (except audio) when my 360 disconnected form live. It recovered after about 20 secs but when I reconnected it started a new game.

DeadGzuz

Banned
We should have a updated post-patch poll, might be interesting to see how things have changed. I had one crash pre-patch and none post. 17 hour in now.

djkimothy

I DID IT! I traded in GTA4 at EB games for 40$ in store credit. I finally rid myself of that expensive coaster and await my real 10/10 GOTY.

MGS4 baby. :D

djkimothy said:
I DID IT! I traded in GTA4 at EB games for 40$ in store credit. I finally rid myself of that expensive coaster and await my real 10/10 GOTY.

MGS4 baby. :D

Wow, did you even try to argue that it didn't work? I got a complete refund with no loss on my behalf other than time.

djkimothy said:
I bought the game at BB so I couldn't get a full refund. :(

You should have argued they sold you a product that never worked. It's just wrong that you get sold something broken out of hte box and you're the one who has to take the penalty for it.

djkimothy

Marty Chinn said:
You should have argued they sold you a product that never worked. It's just wrong that you get sold something broken out of hte box and you're the one who has to take the penalty for it.

Yah I know what you mean. I was just not in the mood to argue to best buy employees of my consumer rights. I just wanted to get rid of this thing as it was just sitting there on the shelf with no help in sight.

So now i bid adieu to all of you as I'm not involving myself with GTA4 anymore. It's full on Metal Gear and GT5P for now on. :D

I'm in the middle missions on the 360. Crashes at least once every time I play. Its not game-ruining, but it does tarnish the experience. I haven't seen a single word outside this thread about issues on the 360.

Wow, Sony finally acknowledges the problem and guess what the fix is? Contact them to swap your system out. Holy crap....

Rockstar Games, GTA IV's publisher, and Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) are both aware that an issue may have affected a limited number of our consumers who purchased GTA IV. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Although we have seen an extremely low volume of contacts to our customer service department regarding such an issue, we want to ensure that every consumer has a great experience on our console and with GTA IV. We have identified a solution that should resolve your issue.

Online Game Play Issues
For users experiencing online game play issues, Rockstar Games has released a patch on May 7, 2008, that resolves some known issues. Please read about the patch for details.

Offline Game Play Issues
For players who are experiencing offline freezing problems when attempting to load GTA IV from the beginning, please contact Consumer Services at the number below. Our agents will be ready to assist you with a solution after speaking with you to confirm some information.

SCEA Consumer Services
1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Monday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., PST
Sunday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., PST

cjdunn

Marty Chinn said:
Wow, Sony finally acknowledges the problem and guess what the fix is? Contact them to swap your system out. Holy crap....

What? Wait... what? Wait, wait... what?

You can pry my hardware backwards compatibility-- yadda, yadda, yadda.

Azrael

Yup. Just got off the phone with tech support, and their solution is to send my system in for sevice. They're waiving their fees on out-of-warranty repairs for this issue, and I've been having other problems with my PS3 in the last few months, so I'm going to send it in for the free repair.

Diablos

130 gaffers having problems with the 360 version, eh? Weird, I thought the freezing was a PS3 problem. Looks like some 360's have issues with the game as well.

Ramenman

Wow, that's harsh :/

I guess the best thing to do now is pray any existing force so that this doesn't begin another "is that worse than RROD" debate of shit.

so now the big decision I have is:

A. continue to be patient and hope a firmware update by Sony fixes it (yet decreasing trade-in value by the week)...

B. trade now while I can still get 1/3 of what the game's worth and put it towards MGS4...

or

C. bother with shipping my PS3 out for lord knows how long, essentially losing the hub of my media center for that period of time.

goddamn... fuck this...

Jim

40 hours+ worth of the game on a stock 60 GB launch unit, not a single lock or crash (besides the load screen while online thing). So this problem is pretty damn bizarre.

Mr.City

It seems I only get around 15 mins before my game freezes up on the 360. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the disk itself.

djkimothy

Mr.City said:
It seems I only get around 15 mins before my game freezes up on the 360. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the disk itself.

I would get this problem on my launch ps3. It's not the disc, it's the code, there's something wrong but they don't know what.

M3Freak

Banned
Jim said:
40 hours+ worth of the game on a stock 60 GB launch unit, not a single lock or crash (besides the load screen while online thing). So this problem is pretty damn bizarre.

I haven't had any problems either, save for damn odd bugs when playing online.

The best bug ever: if the driver gets disconnected, everyone else in the car gets locked in and cannot exit the vehicle. AWESOMENESS.

SickBoy

Mr.City said:

I would try clearing your HDD cache. I know it's generally offered as a catch-all solution, but I started having such frequent problems that I did it and it's helped. My drive still spins down and the game either freezes or I get a DRE after a reasonably long session (disc looks great), but it's way better than it was.

The issue is hurting the game for me, though... I'm enjoying it more than III or Vice City (didn't play San Andreas), but I do play with sort of an ongoing fear that it's going to crap out on me.

EDIT: I should add that I'm getting HDD-related error messages after a crash. I've gotten a couple of "E68" error messages with the bottom right of the ring of death lit up after the game has frozen on me. The solution seems to be to power the system on using the button on the system, not the controller (why, I don't know). I really doubt there's a problem with my drive, though, as it's completely isolated to GTA. I'm more apt to believe that if I do have a hardware issue it's with the refurb console I'm using.

TheJollyCorner said:
so now the big decision I have is:

A. continue to be patient and hope a firmware update by Sony fixes it (yet decreasing trade-in value by the week)...

B. trade now while I can still get 1/3 of what the game's worth and put it towards MGS4...

or

C. bother with shipping my PS3 out for lord knows how long, essentially losing the hub of my media center for that period of time.

goddamn... fuck this...

How about:

D. Take it back to the store showing that Sony acknowledges there's a defect and demand your money back in full since they sold you a product that has a major flaw in it that leaves it useless.

or

E. Call Take Two up and demand a full refund because of such bug again referring to Sony's own admission there is a problem that exists.

There is absolutely no reason you should not get the full amount back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marty Chinn said:
How about:

D. Take it back to the store showing that Sony acknowledges there's a defect and demand your money back in full since they sold you a product that has a major flaw in it that leaves it useless.

or

E. Call Take Two up and demand a full refund because of such bug again referring to Sony's own admission there is a problem that exists.

There is absolutely no reason you should not get the full amount back.
Can't be stressed enough.

There is no reason why ANYONE should be giving Rockstar free money on this one. Their mistake should not cost anyone money.

I feel bad for those who want to play the game but only have access to a PS3 that is suffering from this issue, though. :\

KTallguy

Banned
I was having the issue with PSN lockups, but now when I play it's totally crash free. :)

Too bad I've had very little time to play lately :(

Thanks for the heads up guys on the PS3 repair service, I'm going to take them up on their offer. I can handle being without the PS3 for 3 tp 4 weeks no big deal.

Truespeed

For me, GTA IV for the PS3 is a failure. It's a sub HD bug ridden 360 port that was 4 years in the making. My copy is going back to Amazon. No one should have to pay $60 for this.

Mr.City

SickBoy said:
I would try clearing your HDD cache. I know it's generally offered as a catch-all solution, but I started having such frequent problems that I did it and it's helped. My drive still spins down and the game either freezes or I get a DRE after a reasonably long session (disc looks great), but it's way better than it was.

The issue is hurting the game for me, though... I'm enjoying it more than III or Vice City (didn't play San Andreas), but I do play with sort of an ongoing fear that it's going to crap out on me.

EDIT: I should add that I'm getting HDD-related error messages after a crash. I've gotten a couple of "E68" error messages with the bottom right of the ring of death lit up after the game has frozen on me. The solution seems to be to power the system on using the button on the system, not the controller (why, I don't know). I really doubt there's a problem with my drive, though, as it's completely isolated to GTA. I'm more apt to believe that if I do have a hardware issue it's with the refurb console I'm using.
How do I clear the cache?

Nightz

:(

I’m guessing this is aimed towards GTA4. :)

Al De Leon said:
I just want to clarify that this upcoming firmware update isn’t related to GTA IV. For those of you who may still have an issue playing the game on your PS3, we have identified a solution that should resolve the issue. You can contact SCEA Consumer Services for support — their contact info and hours of service, as well as more information on this issue, are available in our Knowledge Center (http://playstation.custhelp.com/).

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/05/14/firmware-v235-coming-soon/comment-page-1/#comment-60845

I think this stupid firmware fiasco has just about convinced me to pick up the 360 version. I'm unbelievably pissed that Sony would throw out some random firmware for no good reason when they know full well that GTA4 is fucked.

FrankT

Kind of weird they would have done this short update on the whim, but not for GTA IV fix. Anyhow, maybe it's for something else shortly down the road, who knows.

Truespeed

Marty Chinn said:
I think this stupid firmware fiasco has just about convinced me to pick up the 360 version. I'm unbelievably pissed that Sony would throw out some random firmware for no good reason when they know full well that GTA4 is fucked.

Let's not put the full blame on Sony. There are plenty of games that work flawlessly on the PS3. The only game to give the PS3 this much trouble comes from a buggy 360 port that wasn't even tested on all models. Rockstar is to blame for this blunder and it's yet another reason to not buy a multiplatform game. I mean, why bother anymore. I'm just fucking sick of their ports.

Top Bottom