• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

dedhead54

I had my first freeze-up today, after about 30 hours. I went to meet Brucie to take a heli ride with some ladies and instead of us going up to the roof we just stood on the street and I had to reload.

360, btw.

Other than that I have had no issues.

This is not about freezing (my PS3 version has only ever froze once while loading the game)... but I need serious help on a mission.

For the mission "Pegorino's Pride", I am supposed to go up to the vantage point to oversee the meeting but I cannot for the life of me figure out how I can get up to the vantage point. It seems as though the place is a room very high up on the building but I cannot find any ladders, doors, or anything else that lets me get up there. I have been walking around this building for well over 10 minutes and cannot figure out what to do.

How do I get up there? :lol

M3Freak

Banned
Truespeed said:
Let's not put the full blame on Sony. There are plenty of games that work flawlessly on the PS3. The only game to give the PS3 this much trouble comes from a buggy 360 port that wasn't even tested on all models. Rockstar is to blame for this blunder and it's yet another reason to not buy a multiplatform game. I mean, why bother anymore. I'm just fucking sick of their ports.

Ya, I'd say if your game isn't working, then it's hardly Sony's fault - blame Rockstar.

Having said that, every single person at work that has bought the PS3 version or the Xbox version of the game, hasn't had any problems playing it. Neither have I, though I'm the only with a launch PS3.

Note: 8 people with PS3s, 3 with 360s.

Azrael

M3Freak said:
Ya, I'd say if your game isn't working, then it's hardly Sony's fault - blame Rockstar.

Sony is partially to blame because GTA4 because it should not have made it through their QA with the issues it has.

cjdunn

Truespeed said:
Let's not put the full blame on Sony. There are plenty of games that work flawlessly on the PS3. The only game to give the PS3 this much trouble comes from a buggy 360 port that wasn't even tested on all models. Rockstar is to blame for this blunder and it's yet another reason to not buy a multiplatform game. I mean, why bother anymore. I'm just fucking sick of their ports.

But why is Sony having to switch out system hardware for a buggy port?
The only answer that comes close is that Sony built some launch systems that did not meet the hardware specs that they gave to developers.

If this is a hardware issue that can't be fixed via firmware then launch console owners who didn't buy GTA IV will eventually hit this bug by some other title.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If Sony offers to fix this for free if you ship them your system, I would do it. A buddy of mine had a problem with the video out on his 60GB and Sony repaired it for free and had it back to him in just under 2 weeks. He shipped it on a Monday and got it back the following Friday. I am not saying this kind of turnover will happen with everyone, but I thought it might help those who are debating sending it in and worry they won't get it back before MGS4.

rSpooky

Wow, I did not know about the sony replacement plan :p I got an email to contact them concerning my issues with GTAIV.
I had some email correspondece previously with rockstar about the issue and let them know that in my case all woes are gone when i am signed out of the PSN. I figured this info might help them finding a cause.

so confused I call sony after I receive their email and they offer a replacement ps3 60gig?
for free?

Now I am at work so I have not been able to giv ethem all my info, but all I have to do is call m tonight and wait i guess.

I just forgot to ask if it will be new one or a refurb. The guy used the word NEW not another or something like that. I mean if it is a refurb I rather not, but if it is new it means that th elast 1,5 years of wear and tear are gone and that does make me happy.

So shall I go for it (if new)? I had no other issues and GTA works fine as long as I am signed out of PSN.

Truespeed said:

I'm blaming Sony for the timing of all this and the description of what the firmware does. It was a complete cocktease when they know full well there is an issue with GTA4. I don't believe they are completely at fault for the crash in the game but I am blaming them completely for what they just did in light of the issue going on.

Goldrusher said:
Bottom line: if you can't play the game with every single feature of your console available to you, get a replacement.

I'm not ready to accept that my hardware is fucked and the only solution is to replace the system. I'm not comfortable with the idea that I have to get a completely different system when mine feels like it's working fine. I believe what Sony is doing is a stop gap solution until a real solution is found.

Azrael

Marty Chinn said:
I'm not ready to accept that my hardware is fucked and the only solution is to replace the system. I'm not comfortable with the idea that I have to get a completely different system when mine feels like it's working fine. I believe what Sony is doing is a stop gap solution until a real solution is found.

I don't think Sony would be asking us to send our PS3s to their service centers at no charge if it was something that could be fixed with a patch or firmware update. This is going to cost SCEA so much money that they wouldn't be doing it if there was a cheaper solution right around the corner.

If any good comes out of this, this is so expensive for SCEA to fix (and looking at the NPD numbers, GTA4 clearly didn't do for the PS3 what Sony wanted it to do) that high-profile games like Madden and GTA will get more scrutiny during QA than they have in the past, whether the publisher likes it or not.

Azrael said:
I don't think Sony would be asking us to send our PS3s to their service centers at no charge if it was something that could be fixed with a patch or firmware update. This is going to cost SCEA so much money that they wouldn't be doing it if there was a cheaper solution right around the corner.

If any good comes out of this, this is so expensive for SCEA to fix (and looking at the NPD numbers, GTA4 clearly didn't do for the PS3 what Sony wanted it to do) that high-profile games like Madden and GTA will get more scrutiny during QA than they have in the past, whether the publisher likes it or not.

Sony can't afford bad press around such a huge game like GTA4 so it's best to please the consumer and take the small hit rather than handle the more expensive PR nightmare or even class action lawsuit from lawyer expenses. What they're paying now is just pennies in the scope of things. This has almost approached 3 weeks and I'm still without GTA4 so I can understand them all of a sudden thinking that this is taking longer than they had hoped so they need to step up. I'm still hopefull for a real solution as I don't want to send in my system for this game.

djkimothy

Marty Chinn said:
Sony can't afford bad press around such a huge game like GTA4 so it's best to please the consumer and take the small hit rather than handle the more expensive PR nightmare or even class action lawsuit from lawyer expenses. What they're paying now is just pennies in the scope of things. This has almost approached 3 weeks and I'm still without GTA4 so I can understand them all of a sudden thinking that this is taking longer than they had hoped so they need to step up. I'm still hopefull for a real solution as I don't want to send in my system for this game.

Imagine if this fiasco happened with MGS4?

Heads will roll, guaranteed!

I'm sure they will be more vigilant in the future.

bigswords

Marty Chinn said:

Why don't you just send it in since Sony is willing to change a new system for you. Might be a hardware issue as there are alot of launch 60 gig ps3 able to run this game with no issues.

bigswords said:
Why don't you just send it in since Sony is willing to change a new system for you. Might be a hardware issue as there are alot of launch 60 gig ps3 able to run this game with no issues.

It is a hardware/software issue, but there is nothing else wrong with my system. I'm currently not comfortable nor willing to accept that I have to exchange my system for an unknown refurbished unit. The system is perfectly fine in every other way except GTA4 and I want them to find a fix that does the job in a manner which I don't have to swap my system. I refuse to accept that this is the only solution at this point. I would hate to give up my quiet ps3 and get one that is louder with the fan which is a variation of some early systems or some other issue.

ausoff2

Neo Member
I've been getting freezes since day one, with sporadic disk read errors. Anyone know if this is an xbox thing or a GTA thing, cause i've heard both.

SickBoy

I think it's a GTA thing, although it's all speculation. But for some Xboxes, some games cause issues (I'm having the same issues as you, and GTA is the only game doing it, that I've found).

Based on the anecdotal evidence I've seen, if you call MIcrosoft, though, I'm sure they'll tell you it's a Rockstar thing.

As mentioned above, I'd try clearing your cache. I did it, it seemed to help somewhat, but I still have issues.

bigswords

rSpooky said:
So shall I go for it (if new)? I had no other issues and GTA works fine as long as I am signed out of PSN.

For your case , you are only having problems with GTA while connected to PSN? Have you downloaded the latest GTA patch? For me it solved all the PSN issues with GTA4. If the game works fine while you are signed out you do not have to trade in your system.

Known Shippable

Neo Member
McBradders said:
Can anyone confirm if the firmware update fixes multiplayer on PS3?

I still can't get in to a multiplayer game :(

I thought the firmware update was to fix the game locking up? Didn't the PS3 get an online update last week?

rSpooky

bigswords said:
For your case , you are only having problems with GTA while connected to PSN? Have you downloaded the latest GTA patch? For me it solved all the PSN issues with GTA4. If the game works fine while you are signed out you do not have to trade in your system.

I did get the patch and it has been way more stable since, btu I had one freezup since. However (knocks on wood) I had no more loading issues.

And I agree with marty
Marty Chinn said:
It is a hardware/software issue, but there is nothing else wrong with my system. I'm currently not comfortable nor willing to accept that I have to exchange my system for an unknown refurbished unit. QUOTE]

I know the history of my machine not of the refurb. Yes they are "SONY fact standard certified" but WTF does that mean? I am not familiar with the reliability of SONY's refurbs. ( at least it comes with a new 90 days manufact warranty)

it is a tough choice + no ps3 for 2/3 weeks means I really cannot pay GTAIV then either :/

My box arrives monday for the PS3 exchange, Just one question do you guys happen to know if they are giving out new units or refurbished units. I specifically told them that I have the 60gb launch unit that is BC and they told me thats what I would be receiving in the exchange.

gluv65 said:
My box arrives monday for the PS3 exchange, Just one question do you guys happen to know if they are giving out new units or refurbished units. I specifically told them that I have the 60gb launch unit that is BC and they told me thats what I would be receiving in the exchange.

You're getting a refurbished unit. Also if you've bought any content off PSN, don't forget to disassociate your current system from the content otherwise you'll lose a slot.

Marty Chinn said:
You're getting a refurbished unit. Also if you've bought any content off PSN, don't forget to disassociate your current system from the content otherwise you'll lose a slot.

How can you be so sure that it will be refurbished?

Goldrusher

If the system is out of production, you get a refurb.
If it's a 40GB or 80GB, you get a new system within one month of purchase, otherwise, a refurb as well.

bigswords

Marty Chinn said:

If you disassociate PSN content from the current system you'll get back five slots instead of four? Wow that's cool I didn't know that I though it was just five times at that's it. So much better then Xbox Live arcade DRM method.

careksims

PS3 Version

Holy shit you think a patch would have fixed it. NOPE! I had a corrupted GTA data that I couldn't delete! When I was in the loading screen, it just never went into the game. Was loading forever.

When I tried rebooting I was welcomed by the never ending screen of "data corrupted, will restore"

I thought I was fucked, but thank goodness I had a laptop. I just replaced the Laptops HD with the PS3 HD and reformatted it. Once done, I slapped back into the PS3 and the HD is good again. It's good thing I have a backup data on one of my external HDs. I am restoring it at this moment.

The night was almost ruined there. Remember folks! Get a external HD and back up your data and having a laptop helps too.

theBishop

Banned
Sony is going to fix my out-of-warranty PS3 for free. I'm glad they are fixing it, but I'm a little surprised there was no other way.

theBishop

Banned
the_id said:
1st freeze on my 60GB NZ ps3 after 30 hours of gameplay. Seems fine now.

If you got a freeze after 30 hours, i wouldn't necessarily say that's any of the problems in this thread. Any game can crash at some point.

Facism

Is there anyway i can sort out this online play with PS3. I can't even to a custom or host game without being kicked. I've dmz'd my router, dmz'd my PS3 and i still get that 'lost connection' error.

Is there some guide or some fix for this?

I just checked the MFR date on my 60GB PS3 and it's January, 2007. So far I haven't had a single crash post-patch, and I've been signed into PSN and everything. Don't know if this contributes anything fact-wise to the thread, but thought I'd share.

bigswords

Marty Chinn said:
I would be really sad if this was true. I really don't want to send in my system... especially with MGS4 around the corner.

Better to send it now, at least you have 2 weeks of buffering time.

Top Bottom