• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

mintylurb

neojubei said:
Well my copy of the game is HERE, wish me luck.
good ruck!
onidec.gif

dfyb

Banned
60GB ps3 US

no issues so far.

edit: kotaku article mentions it freezes at intro cutscene. if i make it past that, am i safe? i've done many missions and seen many cutscenes -- doing stuff for dimitri.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Thanks for the good luck wishes guys,maybe it worked :p

I just went through the first full intro cutscene and then the 2nd in a office where it was freezing for other people and I didn't have a problem.I'm not sure if this means everything is cool,but I have to take it as a good sign.

20 gb *160 upgraded* no issues so far

status update:

exchanged discs @ Best Buy for the hell of it. Return person said I was the only person to have any problems, so I guess that cancels out the 'bad batch' theory?

tried my new disc. It freezes sooner than the last one did.

sprocket said:
FUD thread?

Read the post above yours

So has anyone HERE seen these issues firsthand on their 360?

TheJollyCorner said:
status update:

exchanged discs @ Best Buy for the hell of it. Return person said I was the only person to have any problems, so I guess that cancels out the 'bad batch' theory?

Might be a case where noone else has tried the game out and had the idea to return it. Could still be a bad batch...

I bought the 360 version today (PAL UK) and about 2 hours in the screen froze but the radio continued playing. Had to reset.

Take 2/Rockstar tend to make very buggy games don't they.

Loudninja

TheJollyCorner said:
status update:

It could still be a bad batch dude.

Bebpo

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
status update:

Probably way too early for most people to return their copies.

We should know the extent of this by the end of the week. The majority of the public did not go to the midnight launch and will be picking it up during the day today.

gregor7777 said:
Might be a case where noone else has tried the game out and had the idea to return it. Could still be a bad batch...

highly doubtful. This is a pretty big Best Buy in a pretty popular area. Also considering they did the midnight launch thing, I would be baffled if 12 hours later I was the first one to report a problem. :(

but thanks for the optimism, guys.

Jaeyden

60g launch unit. I'm in the U.S., my console was manufactured in Japan. Played for about 4 hours last night and some multi-player too. No freezes. Fingers crossed.

mintylurb

TheJollyCorner said:
status update:

That reminds me of the time I had to go through 3 discs to get a working version of mlb07 the show. I'm beginning to suspect these might be badly pressed discs..

sprocket

Banned
I mean is it really a PROBLEM or is it like 3 or 4 people? I just got the ps3 version today but I can still exchange it the 360 version if it is really a widespread problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So it does sound like hardware issues then. If an otherwise perfectly functioning PS3 is having the issue, that's pretty messed up.

If it crashes for me, I'm going straight back to the store for a 360 copy. I'm not letting this ruin the game for me.

Loudninja

dark10x said:
So it does sound like hardware issues then. If an otherwise perfectly functioning PS3 is having the issue, that's pretty messed up.

If it crashes for me, I'm going straight back to the store for a 360 copy. I'm not letting this ruin the game for me.

Umm read though the topic, it does not sound like hardware issues.

oldergamer

derder said:
I have the 360 version.

It happened at the mission called
shadow
. I had just reloaded the mission, which I had never done before, and:

my home theater made a pop and a zzzzz noise
the screen went black with white fuzzy bars running down the center

I restarted, and everything was fine and as soon as I rounded the stairs from niko's apartment, it happened again, except this time I could still make out some of the screen image.

I restarted a 2nd time and it occurred sooner, I didn't even get to move. I was able to see more the the screen, but it was still blurred out with the white stripes.

The sound sounds like an 8 bit era type noise.

Help?
Dude that's not the game that is causing that problem. I think it's your 360 dying. the white lines running North- south sounds like a GPU problem. When my 360 died last summer, that's what I saw.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
derder said:
I have the 360 version.

It happened at the mission called
shadow
. I had just reloaded the mission, which I had never done before, and:

my home theater made a pop and a zzzzz noise
the screen went black with white fuzzy bars running down the center

I restarted, and everything was fine and as soon as I rounded the stairs from niko's apartment, it happened again, except this time I could still make out some of the screen image.

I restarted a 2nd time and it occurred sooner, I didn't even get to move. I was able to see more the the screen, but it was still blurred out with the white stripes.

The sound sounds like an 8 bit era type noise.

Help?
Clean the cache. Google for the combination of buttons to clean it. Yours really sounds like a cache issue. As in some unwritable part keep growing exponentially and making the freezes more frequent. Is definitely a bug, so it will occur again after such unwritable part gets written again. I would wait for a R* patch.

oldergamer said:
Dude that's not the game that is causing that problem. I think it's your 360 dying. the white lines running North- south sounds like a GPU problem. When my 360 died last summer, that's what I saw.
Oh didn't see that. Yes, it could be the 360 is dying.

derder

oldergamer said:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Jim

dark10x said:

Most problems like this happen to perfectly functioning consoles... that's the point.

Look what happened with the 360 version of Bully SE, that was definitely software, BUT it happened on certain revisions of hardware moreso than others.

tribal24 said:
i have a 20gb it runs fine why does this need its own topic
:lol What an asshole.

First couple of freezes and you'll be looking for this thread for answers and thanking the heavens it exists.

Haunted

That totally shouldn't happen for such a huge release, regardless whether it affects only one particular SKU of a console or not. Issues like that are inexcusable for a console game, Rockstar.

The times where consoles were free from issues that were once exclusive to PC gaming are over, it seems.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
sprocket said:
I mean is it really a PROBLEM or is it like 3 or 4 people? I just got the ps3 version today but I can still exchange it the 360 version if it is really a widespread problem.
It's a lot of people, but apparently there is a high chance that it will happen yo you if your PS3 is a 60 gig model. With a 360, they havent determined yet what model is the one thats giving the problem, but the issue is also present.

derder

Jim said:
Most problems like this happen to perfectly functioning consoles... that's the point.

Look what happened with the 360 version of Bully SE, that was definitely software, BUT it happened on certain revisions of hardware moreso than others.

It just happened with Assault Heroes though.

I think I'm the first GTA-360 victim on neoGAF... :********************(

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

oneHeero

I said this in another topic last night but I'll repeat here for research purposes.

3-4 hrs last night straight no problems on MP or SP. 60 gig.

P.S. Is there no main menu screen lol? My game started right up and I was in CS right off the back, joining MP from your phone is so cool tho, and pretty fast, love the invites and what not, thats really fucken cool.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
prodystopian said:
Were these all during the intro sequence, or somewhere else?

No, while playing, I'm a few hours in. One was during a cutscene, and two were while driving. It crashes as described by other folks...the audio keeps going but the screen freezes, and ya can't do anything but reset the PS3.

jetjevons said:
Pre-order from Gamestop.

Is there anything I can do? This is worse than the unlocking Half-Life 2 shit on steam.

you can try exchanging if they have any left. Didn't work for me, but it might for you.

those like me will either be waiting for a patch or, if it's confirmed to be bad batches, waiting for new copies at those locations.
I'm hoping a patch can fix this, though.

Raistlin

Firewire said:
Damit, and R* has no fix yet. This makes me worried about booting up the game tonight for the first time.

No need to be worried. Might as well find out if you're effected. So far, it seems to be the minority.

Hopefully mine continues to work ... I only had a chance to put in about an hour 1/2 last night.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
TheJollyCorner said:
you can try exchanging if they have any left. Didn't work for me, but it might for you.

those like me will either be waiting for a patch or, if it's confirmed to be bad batches, waiting for new copies at those locations.
I'm hoping a patch can fix this, though.

I pre-ordered online. Can I take it back to a store?

sajj316

Wonder if there is some commonality here. Looks like the general consensus is 60 GB models right around launch time. I wonder if there is conflicting files on the PS3 HDD maybe caused by another game that also installed files to the HDD. Maybe its Rachet :) Maybe its VF5 ... I don't know. Just trying to think of something since the problem is so inconsistent yet consistent to 60 GB models.

Top Bottom