• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn patch 1.32 adds easier difficulty level: "Story" difficulty

m4st4

If you didn't finish it, are you really in a position to comment on the story? There is plenty of it and it's an excellent sci-fi tale with deep lore. Especially for an open world game.

I've struggled with the game for many hours since I gave probably my last penny that month to play it. Couldn't bare finishing after hitting that repetition treshold where everything was so familiar and stale all the time. Finally, I've decided to do something I've done for maybe two games in my life - mkiceandfire, couple of final walkthrough videos, voila. Same thing happened to me with Watch Dogs 2.

Some people are making fun of Bloodborne/Dark Souls, but those games have stories upon stories imprinted in them, even your style of playing, weapons and armor that you carry, is telling a certain story. There's a veil of mystery around those games, whereas in H:ZD everything is so transparent and predictable from the very beginning, and it never surprises you in any way, other than visually. It's an open book, and quite derivative of its predecessors. I'd like to see something more.

We can switch difficulty mid-game, right?

I haven't continued with this game in a long time because I don't find to be the combat with humans and random machines fun at all. I really enjoy the fights with the huge monsters because that's where all the mechanics come together and shine.

Just might try out this mode :)

Toni

Making a , in my opinion, boring game even more boring by adding a easier mode. Bleh.

You for sure, must have picked the wrong word to describe it.

Because there is NOTHING boring about Horizon.

Its moment-to-moment gameplay is unmatch and keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way to the very end.

Maybe read my comment again? I said it was one of the best things about it. I Platinumed it because I enjoyed it so much.

it was a joke because i think the story is bad. you said it was the best part about it which would mean the game is very bad. :ifyouhavetoexplainit:

Bunga

Good on them for adding the new difficulty level. They've created a truly wonderful world, and spent a long damn time doing so - makes sense that they want as many people to be able to experience that as possible.

LiK

it was a joke because i think the story is bad. you said it was the best part about it which would mean the game is very bad. :ifyouhavetoexplainit:

What's so bad about it? It was coherent and had some good moments and I loved how subtle some of the story beats were where you discovered important info on your own through exploration. Gotta agree to disagree.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've struggled with the game for many hours since I gave probably my last penny that month to play it. Couldn't bare finishing after hitting that repetition treshold where everything was so familiar and stale all the time. Finally, I've decided to do something I've done for maybe two games in my life - mkiceandfire, couple of final walkthrough videos, voila. Same thing happened to me with Watch Dogs 2.

Some people are making fun of Bloodborne/Dark Souls, but those games have stories upon stories imprinted in them, even your style of playing, weapons and armor that you carry, is telling a certain story. There's a veil of mystery around those games, whereas in H:ZD everything is so transparent and predictable from the very beginning, and it never surprises you in any way, other than visually. It's an open book, and quite derivative of its predecessors. I'd like to see something more.
I feel same way and I finished it all way through with 97% of trophies completed. Both Aloy and others character are sooooooo boring to me, they are not at all memorable. My biggest issue with the game is the open world. To me this most boring open world I ever played, this one first open world game I played that does not at all reward me for exploring, AT ALL. And I hate this argument that "this game's focused is not exploring". If u giving me open world then I want explore and find secrets but if there is nothing to find then the open word part becomes pointless to me.

grumble

You for sure, must have picked the wrong word to describe it.

Because there is NOTHING boring about Horizon.

Its moment-to-moment gameplay is unmatch and keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way to the very end.

Very subjective. I'm halfway through it now, and I'm hitting a wall where everything feels the same. A ton of drudgery, fetch quests, and really weak story sequences. Graphics are awesome though and fighting a big robot is fun, though cheese-able with traps.

It's partly a problem with the current iteration of open world games in general. It makes compelling stories and expansions of gameplay very difficult to do, since you have almost no control over pacing.

OrochiJR

Can you switch the difficulty on the fly? I might bump it down to Story for the
hunting ground trials

Anyone who is against this or hating is just an asshole. Nothing about this is anything other than positive.

About the story, to each, their own but this game had a wonderful story and I liked it even more than what seems to be the current darling TLOU. I mean there are a couple of reveals in the story that had to make you feel made unless you have no heart, didn't pay attention or don't care at all.

Are they also calling Aloy boring? She feels new and refreshing vs all the generic female heroes we get. I am glad this game and others are changing the trend. The open world may get repetitive at some point, but no one should say it sucks.

Carl

I played it for about 4 hours before getting bored of how shit the combat was, so maybe i'll give it another go now,

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a question for anyone whose played the game since the new game + patch.

Do I need to beat the game again to be able to create a 'new game +' file .. because I finished the game way before and probably just have a save near the end (I forget if the game lets you save post-game).

Can I just use the existing save to be able to start NG+ with the super armor or do I need to finish it again ?

Well, 9 year old children are not really supposed to play this game in the first place.

It's not even rated M, it's rated T. And I think the story could be pretty digestible for a 9 year old. It's not extremely complex, and even though some of the overarching themes can be a bit dark, it still finds ways to have a bit of fun with the world.

It's not like Call of Duty.

Danjin44

Anyone who is against this or hating is just an asshole. Nothing about this is anything other than positive.

About the story, to each, their own but this game had a wonderful story and I liked it even more than what seems to be the current darling TLOU. I mean there are a couple of reveals in the story that had to make you feel made unless you have no heart, didn't pay attention or don't care at all.

Are they also calling Aloy boring? She feels new and refreshing vs all the generic female heroes we get. I am glad this game and others are changing the trend. The open world may get repetitive at some point, but no one should say it sucks.
To me she was. I personally find don't like any character either male or female that no flaws. For example:
why dose she help her tribe when they treat her like crap. Why does she even need to do proving in the first place? She already cast out, why dose she even need trib's permission to go out and explore the world?

And I sold the game yesterday because I found the game frustratingly difficult (not that I couldn't do it - just that I didn't find the game's combat to be particularly good in any way). Was interested in the story.

Now I'll have to get it again once it hits the bargain bin. Oh well!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If it's easier, i can get passed it quickly and onto the things i care about instead of hiding in some grass shooting arrows every 20 yards

Just want to point out that you don't have to do this.

To me she was. I personally find don't like any character either male or female that no flaws. For example:
why dose she help her tribe when they treat her like crap. Why does she even need to do proving in the first place? She already cast out, why dose she even need trib's permission to go out and explore the world?

You might need to replay the game then because this is all pretty clearly spelled out and Aloy is by no means a flawless character.

It's good for those wanting to play through the game but are struggling. I remember Horizon as quite tough in parts, I actually had to grind some places to progress without feeling to underpowered.

Options are always a good thing!

JC Lately

Wait what?

I'm not even that far in the game and even I know the answer to this one.

She wasn't interested in exploring the world, she wanted answers about her mother and where she came from. If she wins the proving, matriarchs have to grant her a boon. Her plan was to get them to answer her questions. The the plot happens and she's left with more questions than answers and had to go out into the world to resolve it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What story?
It'd be nothing but one loading screen after the other showing item descriptions in a loop. xD

To me this most boring open world I ever played, this one first open world game I played that does not at all reward me for exploring, AT ALL. And I hate this argument that "this game's focused is not exploring". If u giving me open world then I want explore and find secrets but if there is nothing to find then the open word part becomes pointless to me.
Wut. The exploration is absolutely rewarding. The combat was fun, so that helped, because if all you found was a new machine site that'd still be OK, but you could also find cool things like settlements, bandit camps, Corrupt Zones, Cauldrons, NPCs, or at the very least, a new gorgeous, jaw-dropping environment. I remember finding the Grave Hoard and Gaia Prime early and wondering what the hell was going on in there, and it was exciting to return there later and go "ohhh so that's what it was!".

If it's easier, i can get passed it quickly and onto the things i care about instead of hiding in some grass shooting arrows every 20 yards
You're playing it wrong. That would indeed be very boring and tedious.

Use your traps, slings, tripcaster, ropecaster. Stun enemies with lightning, then freeze them, or set them on fire. Tear armoured parts off. Tear heavy guns/cannons off the larger ones and use it against them.

Combat is a lot of fun but you can't just spam arrows from the bushes and expect to go very far.

Wut. This is clearly explained in the very beginning. She wants to know
about her mother and why she was cast out. She's not going ot the Proving to gain permission to explore
... what the hell man. Did you just mash X on the dialogue or what?

Danjin44

Wut. The exploration is absolutely rewarding. The combat was fun, so that helped, because if all you found was a new machine site that'd still be OK, but you could also find cool things like settlements, bandit camps, Corrupt Zones, Cauldrons, NPCs, or at the very least, a new gorgeous, jaw-dropping environment. I remember finding the Grave Hoard and Gaia Prime early and wondering what the hell was going on in there, and it was exciting to return there later and go "ohhh so that's what it was!".

WHAT!!? U don't find those!!! they are already on the map. Im talking about actually finding things.

I played on the hardest and it was already incredibly easy thanks to the shitty AI. Can't imagine it being even easier. I guess enemies do less damage?

The game that keeps on giving, despite this feature being worthless to the majority of GAF users.

This will definitely give my wife another chance.

She typically plays and 100%s an open world game every 18ish months. She really wanted to play more Horizon but got sick of asking me for help so often.

I played on the hardest and it was already incredibly easy thanks to the shitty AI. Can't imagine it being even easier. I guess enemies do less damage?

Not everyone plays games so often that they recognize easily exploitable AI, or have great hand eye coordination, or play so many games that controls always feel natural as long as they aren't shit etc etc.

Imagine if you were playing darts or billiards. Now I assume you have done both at some point, but imagine how incompetent someone who throws darts or shoots pool almost daily for 10 years will think you are at it compared to them?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm not going to complain about them making it easier because who gives a fuck.

On the other hand, game was easy as piss already. Not sure how they could make it even simpler.

Banned
I may jump back in and do some exploring in Story Mode. Find the cauldron I missed, etc. My gripe is that post game just puts you back in the campaign before the final fight. I'd rather not have that sitting in my quest log.

UrbanRats

WHAT!!? U don't find those!!! they are already on the map. Im talking about actually finding things.

What does this even mean? everything is already on the map, since the devs put it there.

That said, i'm also not enjoying much outside of the combat, in the game, i don't think the open world is very interesting or well designed, so far.
Maybe it'll click with me at some point.

U2NUMB

Fired up my save last night where I was stuck at an area that I think I was technically not a high enough level. Months ago I had died multiple times at the same spot and just gave up. So dropped to Story mode last night and beat it instantly.. it takes so much damage and the enemies are weak AF.... I love it and I might actually finish the game now. I felt like a bad ass at level 9 and I am ok with it.

Hasney

Cool, I might finish it now. Was enjoying the story but I really hate the combat, so anything to make that end quicker and move on is better. Only dies once but I found it such a boring chore rather than difficult.

KORNdoggy

the best game of 2017 somehow gets better. my partner is partially sighted and has nystagmus but this should definitely make the games combat managable for him. so thank you GG. More of these kinds of accessibility features should be in all games. uncharted 4 had some amazing ones too, both in regards to visual modes and aiming assists.

Top Bottom