• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

Neoxon

But if Switch gets Pokémon and Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing, on top of Splatoon and Dragon Quest and Mario and Mario Kart..��
Pokémon may drop this year (if the rumors are to be believed), Monster Hunter is more of a when than an if, & I'd be genuinely shocked if Animal Crossing doesn't come out by 2018 at the latest (especially considering the mobile game).

Yeah, the Switch is gonna be just fine in Japan.

Omadahl

Banned
I know it's anecdotal but I work in an elementary school and haven't heard the words Nintendo Switch once since release. Kids come up to me and tell me about their XBONES and PS4s but nothing about this console. I must live in a bubble. It will probably be different next Christmas though.

Hilarion

Weird for a retailer?

Not at all. The willingness to buy software means the most to their bottom line.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Bomberman is going to do surprisingly well just by virtue of being the only display box up that's not Zelda or 1-2 Switch.

Neoxon

I know it's anecdotal but I work in an elementary school and haven't heard the words Nintendo Switch once since release. Kids come up to me and tell me about their XBONES and PS4s but nothing about this console. I must live in a bubble. It will probably be different next Christmas though.
I guess it depends on the bubble. I'm seeing quite a few Switches around campus, & I'd imagine that there'll be more once Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, & (supposedly) Smash 4 Deluxe drop.

rekameohs

Banned
Young kids don't usually get these kinds of things till Christmas

pixelation

Your point is absolutely ridiculous and factually false. The Switch is incredible tech and is in no ways "caught in a technological groundhog day"
What i meant to say is that the tech in the switch when viewed solely as a home console (because that's what i'm interested in) is not up to par with the PS4/XBO, and it sure would be cool to see Nintendo flex their muscle utilizing technology akin to their contemporaries, this is of course... the way i feel.

DISCLAIMER: I am not port begging or anything like that, i am merely saying that it would've been awesome if the switch had similar specced tech as the PS4/XBO so that Nintendo could really show what they can do with the best available home tech.
The Switch appeals only to mobile oriented gamers?

I've heard it all.

Where did i say that?, i was talking about my personal tastes. I should've said mobile/handheld oriented gamers (in the post you quoted). Because my post you quoted is a response to a member that says that the Switch is great tech for a handheld. So i replied that it is, it is in fact great tech for those interested in mobile/handheld gaming that you can play on your TV as well, but since i am a console gamer (with no interest in mobile/handheld gaming at all) then the tech in the Switch (again, the home console side of it) is lackluster.

I was in no way generalizing.

And this is my last post in this thread because it will lead nowhere good if we keep going.

Every Nintendo system gets those. Splatoon is the only major outlier.

To be fair, Splatoon is a VERY major outlier in Japan. The first game sold Wii Us in the system's twilight days in a region where home consoles are dying, I'd imagine that a portable sequel on hardware that isn't as undesirable as the Wii U was will sell many, many systems.

noquarter

-Launches in the middle of a gen. Historically, these consoles tend to struggle when popular ones exist (ex: Jaguar, 3DO, Dreamcast)
-No discreet price advantage like the Wii or DS had
-Major 3rd party support likely to skip system again
-Competing against both home consoles and mobile
-Because it's a PS3/360++ tier system, dev costs affect the lifecycle of how many games can be made and their ROI. PS Vita was literally destroyed by this when AAA collapsed on itself.

It comes down to how many people want a machine that mostly does just Nintendo games. But look at N64/Gamecube to see how that fared.
Dreamcast didn't launch in the middle of a cycle, it launched at the end, a year before the PS2. 3DO cost $700 dollars. Jaguar, well sure, if you want to say that contributed to its failure...

The price advantage isn't up front, but out is there. Parents can but one system for home and away. No more buying 3DS games and PS/Xbox or WiiU. This also goes with your next point, it isn't competing against consoles and mobile more than any other console. It is more an advantage in that you can buy it as a console and still take it with you or buy out for mobile gaming but still hook it up to the TV.

This is Nintendos first system that they tried to make it easy to port to. They are trying to get third parties by making it easy to port from PC to it.

wildfire

Banned
-Launches in the middle of a gen. Historically, these consoles tend to struggle when popular ones exist (ex: Jaguar, 3DO, Dreamcast)
-Because it's a PS3/360++ tier system, dev costs affect the lifecycle of how many games can be made and their ROI. PS Vita was literally destroyed by this when AAA collapsed on itself.

It comes down to how many people want a machine that mostly does just Nintendo games. But look at N64/Gamecube to see how that fared.

Ok at least someone put in some effort explaining why they think the switch had more negatives than positives.

Here is what you're missing or got wrong.

Positives
Switch is easily identified as a new console that is portable.

Adjusted for inflation the switch is as cheap as the Wii. Instead of a free game you get 2 small controllers.

Zelda

Local multiplayer without the need of a tv offers a lot of flexibility to have friends participate.

Neutral
It brings back motion controls. This is a positive but the messaging has been muted and the games are barely there.

It's half as powerful as an xbox 1. The games will look good enough to not be a disappointment for the average buyer unlike the Wii.

Shengar

And that's awesome for mobile gaming oriented gamers, but not for me. My interest in handhelds and mobile gaming has become non existant, so that (hopefully) explains why i am bummed about the Switch tech specs when viewed solely as a dedicated home console?
Technological determinism is one of the worst shit that plagued gaming.

??

Wii U never got a proper Animal Crossing or Pokémon or Dragon Quest... Quite a few Nintendo systems never had a proper mainline Pokemon or DQ....

Either way, my point was not to doubt it doing very well in Japan.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I know that this is PR from GameStop but this couldn't be so far from reality. We'll have Nintendo around for a long time and that's good.

Sorry but graphics are paramount to my enjoyment of a game, fantastic art direction... i cannot agree with that because Nintendo's current love for washed out, bloomed out color schemes is extremely offputting (to me) add the bad alliasing and i cannot say that the art direction for BotW is fantastic.

Yes the industry is better with Nintendo around and i love them, but i hate how stubborn they are. At this rate their next console will likely be a moderate increase (in power) relative to the Switch which will (most likely) keep it bellow the XBO/PS4 succesors and i am dying to see what they can do on the best (console) tech available at the moment.

I don't care at all about the Switch portability factor, handhelds are not for me ( rarely if ever do i play my Vita) so when i think about the portability side of the Switch i can only see a reason for the Switch being as underpowered as it is (for a home console).

Then don't play Nintendo games, I don't get this mentality: If a product/service doesn't fit your needs and you have more options, why just don't look away to them instead of complaining insesantly? You're not their demographic anymore, live with it.

JordanN

Banned
Dreamcast didn't launch in the middle of a cycle, it launched at the end, a year before the PS2. 3DO cost $700 dollars. Jaguar, well sure, if you want to say that contributed to its failure...

The price advantage isn't up front, but out is there. Parents can but one system for home and away. No more buying 3DS games and PS/Xbox or WiiU. This also goes with your next point, it isn't competing against consoles and mobile more than any other console. It is more an advantage in that you can buy it as a console and still take it with you or buy out for mobile gaming but still hook it up to the TV.

This is Nintendos first system that they tried to make it easy to port to. They are trying to get third parties by making it easy to port from PC to it.

The Dreamcast was made to effectively replace Saturn, a console that was suppose to go against PS1/N64. That was a premature launch as it failed to distract PS1/N64 sales and got buried later by PS2 and the inevitable Nintendo/Microsoft machines.

Switch is in that similar position of replacing another unsuccessful console, while PS4/XBO haven't hit their stride yet. It's going to be at another disadvantage when it has to go up against the successors.

wildfire said:
Positives
Switch is easily identified as a new console that is portable.

Adjusted for inflation the switch is as cheap as the Wii. Instead of a free game you get 2 small controllers.

Zelda

Local multiplayer without the need of a tv offers a lot of flexibility to have friends participate.[

Neutral
It brings back motion controls. This is a positive but the messaging has been muted and the games are barely there.
Historically, when have any of these points reflected success?

You even mention Switch doesn't come with a game, but you realize Wii Sports was the best selling game on the Wii? Peripherals by themselves don't sell consoles.

Motions controls are everywhere now, with XB1 launching with one and abandoning it later.

Neff

The price advantage isn't up front, but out is there. Parents can but one system for home and away. No more buying 3DS games and PS/Xbox or WiiU.

I actually think this is really significant. Even though you're obviously paying for the one platform, it adds the perceived value of TV gaming or taking it outside. Factor in the local MP anywhere and it becomes an attractive gaming device for almost any situation, if not an optimum one.

The Switch itself is a very, very good balance of power/price/convenience. Now all it needs is games. Lots and lots of great games.

But if Switch gets Pokémon and Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing, on top of Splatoon and Dragon Quest and Mario and Mario Kart..🤔

Switch's potential for franchises is amazing.

Mario
Pokemon
Zelda
Animal Crossing
Monster Hunter
Shin Megami Tensei
Splatoon
Dragon Quest
Warriors/Musou
Fire Emblem
Metroid
Mario Kart
Xenoblade
Smash
Yokai Watch
Phoenix Wright
ARMS
Professor Layton

^ I could see all of those out in the first couple of years for the console.

Fularu

Banned
DISCLAIMER: I am not port begging or anything like that, i am merely saying that it would've been awesome if the switch had similar specced tech as the PS4/XBO so that Nintendo could really show what they can do with the best available home tech.
Sorry to burst your bubble but neither the PS4, the XBOX One, The PS4 Pro nor the future Scorpio will feature the "best available home tech".

You'll have to change your tune. As of right now, Nintendo is using the "best available mobile tech".

kennyamr

The Wii comment is just investor hunting.

Besides that it looks like it's a successful launch for Nintendo according to different several metrics we have seen during the past few weeks.

Good for Nintendo, they needed it.

So far Zelda is driving the ship.
Let's see what else Nintendo brings to the console this year.

Mory Dunz

Every "nintendo system"?
That'd be incorrect.

3DS got things and Wii U did. Both missed out on big things, Wii U moreso.

3DS missed Splatoon, an OG 3D Zelda, and Pikmin as of today. It also missed something like a Xeno X or TMS but those pale in comparison to the jrpgs 3DS got so I won't really count them (plus new 3ds got Xeno Chronicles which counts for something).
But overall 3DS did end up with a lot of Wii U type games, SMM, Yoshi, Smash, 3D Mario, Hyrule Warriors, Paper Mario, LM2 etc, so it was pretty set

Wii U missed out on Pokemon, AC, 2D Kirby, M&L, FE, SMT, EO, Luigi's Mansion list goes on and on

so there are outliers both ways.

spekkeh

Banned
Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.
Whew

giphy.gif

For PS4 I bought like AC4 and then nothing for a few months.

killatopak

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither the PS4, the XBOX One, The PS4 Pro nor the future Scorpio will feature the "best available home tech".

You'll have to change your tune. As of right now, Nintendo is using the "best available mobile tech".

If we're going that route, no Nintendo is not using the best mobile tech. Best mobile is the new snapdragons.

Rather than highest of tech, I rather just have them competent tech enough that other aaa third party games come to it at least. That has always been Nintendo's problem since the Wii.

MoonFrog

But if Switch gets Pokémon and Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing, on top of Splatoon and Dragon Quest and Mario and Mario Kart..🤔
Idk. I guess there's still general fear that the waning Japanese market hasn't hit bottom and that even a potentially more attractive device will end up selling less.

I'd love it if Switch outsold 3DS in Japan. That'd push it to a really good place worldwide. But I sort of expect a good result to be 15-20 million.

gconsole

Attach Rate = Stuff bought with the system.

What counts as attach?

Games, Accessories, Micro SD cards, system warranties, game warranties, pre-orders, etc.

My tiny store had a 900% attach on Switch launch. Means for every switch sold, I sold nine items with it. Games, warranty, preorders, etc.

Basically means that people bought a lot of stuff with their systems.

True. People usually buy a lot more accessories with portable machine like this. At least screen protector and case. You dont really need to buy anything else with console machine.

qko

I was at a Target today and some 9 year old asked his mom if he could check out the Switch. He then tried to bargain with her that if they saw it, if he could buy it.

Malakai

If we're going that route, no Nintendo is not using the best mobile tech. Best mobile is the new snapdragons.

Rather than highest of tech, I rather just have them competent tech enough that other aaa third party games come to it at least. That has always been Nintendo's problem since the Wii.

If you are going to go that route, the neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 didn't had the "highest of tech" at release. Generation 7 was a pure anomaly in that regards.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

It's not launching in the middle of a gen the 3DS is 6 years old now the Vita is pretty much dead for all intents and purposes this is the next handheld gen.

NahaNago

Its still too early for predictions on how far the switch will go. If these sales continued for several months then yeah i can see it doing pretty good but the switch is still selling mainly to the Nintendo fans , zelda fans ,youtube streamers, and hardcore gamers and that is usually good for the first 5 or 6 million.

I am still waiting on how the 3rd partys will respond and what kind of stuff Nintendo releases for this.

Was so let down by the Wii U.

Klart

"could possibly eclipse the Wii"

Talk about hyperbole.

Really man. Eclipse the Wii? Sell 200 million or what?

FZZ

Banned
I still stand by the fact that Nintendo is trying to attract traditional Nintendo console gamers right now in all markets: Mario Kart, Splatoon, 3D Zelda, Odyssey

and then when the Switch drops in price they will unleash the onslaught of traditional handheld games: Pokemon & MH

they're going to be running the business fam

Be careful with Voltage and Amp values. Not all chargers with the same plug are created equal

Careful? You know that you can't "burn" or "overcharge" an USB device? It's not important which USB charger you use for Switch, you can even take and old charger, all you need is a cheap USB to USBC cable (charging cable, data/charging cables are more expensive) and the charger must have at least 2A.

killatopak

If you are going to go that route, the neither the Xbox One nor the PS4 didn't had the "highest of tech" at release. Generation 7 was a pure anomaly in that regards.

Forget about highest of tech, it's not the point. The point is make a system that can run games that the previous systems cannot. You can't make Witcher 3 run on the ps3 for example and even if you did it will be severely inferior. Same reasoning could be applied to the Wii where some notable 3rd party games were not there and devs could not put the effort to downport it with the power difference.

I'm not agreeing to the poster who brought up highest of tech on the 8th gen consoles, I just disagreed with the poster who told Switch is the highest mobile tech.

Whether the difference in power between the 3 consoles are small enough for devs to make the effort remains to be seen. That's why having adequate capability good from the get go is more preferrable.

I don't think this is accurate. I have pegged switch as better than wii u but not nearly wii.

This unit is more clumsy for many of the wii buyers. Many of them aren't looking for Zelda or portability honestly.

Not to mention you just don't have a game for them.

Bowling is one thing for retirement homes and non gaming families but 1 2 switch isn't.

Nintendo failed to do the right game for that success.

If they wanted it, it was easy.

Switch sports with the original games plus 8 more sports or so. With increased visuals, physics and extra modes for each game. Would have been nice to get Nintendo themed levels in all of them as a bonus. Maybe use mario characters too. They would have sold millions

The wii was already failing for many hardcore gamers that didn't like waggle but that's what wii players wanted, simile and ability to play.

Tonyx

A bit early to compare with Wii but I guess creating more hype around the Switch is a good thing.

Anyways looks like it's doing very well and new games get announced constantly.

Good for Nintendo and I guess good for us gamers as well.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Forget about highest of tech, it's not the point. The point is make a system that can run games that the previous systems cannot. You can't make Witcher 3 run on the ps3 for example and even if you did it will be severely inferior. Same reasoning could be applied to the Wii where some notable 3rd party games were not there and devs could not put the effort to downport it with the power difference.

I'm not agreeing to the poster who brought up highest of tech on the 8th gen consoles, I just disagreed with the poster who told Switch is the highest mobile tech.

Whether the difference in power between the 3 consoles are small enough for devs to make the effort remains to be seen. That's why having adequate capability good from the get go is more preferrable.

Try to port Zelda to 3DS see how that goes. Even the Vita would struggle and that's be at a substantially lower resolution.

oti

Banned
Whew

giphy.gif

For PS4 I bought like AC4 and then nothing for a few months.

The funny thing about this is that GameStop cares way more about attach rate than console sales. The margins for the consoles should be really thin for retailers. Extra hardware, software and of course used game/console sales is how GS makes their money. This is why they are so euphoric about Switch right now.

Remember when in the Wii days there were all of those Tennis racket attachments for WiiMotes and crap like that? Retailers LOOOOOVED those. And since Kimishima has talked about "accessories" for Switch, I'm sure they'll love Switch too.

Top Bottom