• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Meant to ask this after it happened but I totally forgot. I ran the trial roulette yesterday and the group was in need of some heals but they already had the Medica 2 regen effect with like 20s left so I decided to throw out a Medica 1. This prompted the other healer to tell me that I shouldn't use M1 and should always use M2, unless I'm in content where M1 is my only AOE heal.

I'd assumed that you wouldn't want to throw out another M2 if you've already recently thrown one out and got the regen since M1 is a higher potency initial cure and you're still getting the benefit of the regen.

Was my assumption right or am I doing it wrong?
They serve different purposes. Medica is what you use to manually top the party off while Medica 2 is what you use if the regen is enough to top the party off.

In other words you use 1 if your party is gonna get hit again within 30 seconds and 2 if not. You can also combine both by putting 2 up before spamming 1 in cases of incoming heavy raid wide damage to give you more wiggle room.

Astral

Hmm I don't use Médica 1 at all. I use Assize for aoe healing and try to keep Medica 2 up at all times, plus Regen on the tank. It's worked welll so far but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Me, the group leader: "Hello game can we gear up people that aren't our caster this week"

Game:

bhZWfmb.png

Hmm I don't use Médica 1 at all. I use Assize for aoe healing and try to keep Medica 2 up at all times, plus Regen on the tank. It's worked welll so far but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both.
In most content Medica 2 is more than enough. Medica only really starts mattering in content where your party will get hit for 60~80% of their HP several times back to back.

mcw

There is no enjoyable way in my experience lol. That was the toughest leveling stretch. Just do the Duty Roulette for the daily bonuses and run the Stone Vigil dungeon over and over.

EDIT: It's not the Stone Vigil. It's some level 44 dungeon.

Dz-guy's Darkhold? Yeah, gonna do that one again tonight. There's also Aurum Vale at level 47 ("Sounds great!"), but it's All Morbols All The Time over there ("Fuck that!")

Astral

Dz-guy's Darkhold? Yeah, gonna do that one again tonight. There's also Aurum Vale at level 47 ("Sounds great!"), but it's All Morbols All The Time over there ("Fuck that!")

That's the one. Aurum Vale gives more exp but it might take longer and it's a bigger pain in the ass.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think I need to redo my melds. I played fast an lose with the launch of SB, and I have dozens of cracked clusters.

What's the priority and caps I should be looking for with SMN?

Cheers everyone. I figured the other healer was in the wrong on that one but since I'm still learning and getting used to playing a WHM/healer I figured it was best to double check that I had the right idea.

MogCakes

It would be cool to see Zodiark in its corporeal form as a grown up variant of its appearance in ffxii.

Code:
[img]https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GEUjd6P.jpg[/img]

[img]https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GEUk23N.png[/img]

Would be a fitting final boss (or ally?) in the finale of the game's MSQ and another connection/constant in the multiverse. I would similarly like to see Hydaelyn's corporeal form...assuming they don't just reuse Minfilia.

Berordn

So is anyone else getting constant crashes after updating to 4.06 on PC? I was having zero issues until this patch.

I've already tried a full uninstall/reinstall, I'm not sure where else to poke around here.

Welp, there goes my group. And so ends my short tenure as a healer, can't say I'll miss it after having to deal with a cohealer that can't tell the marker 1 and the book phase PUG 1 position apart

lol I'm about to hit lv 60 and still haven't gotten to Heavensward content (just about to fight Shiva).

Is the path from 60 to 70 similarly paced? If so, I might just use the Heavensward MSQ to level my Red Mage which is at 54

LordKasual

Banned
how are Dragoons not hot shit right now

they have been on a buff rampage since 4.0

Edit:

I was not aware that entering a higher floor before a lower floor removed your ability to get loot from the previous floor.

I'm tilted.

Squishy3

O3S is a fun fight. Gonna be fun figuring out all the uptime with 3 melee, though. I have Machinist at 70 but not geared nor am I comfortable playing it yet.

Gator86

Just hit the end of 3.3 and the end of Heavensward. So good. This is probably my favorite FF-related thing since maybe the PS1. It's eaten more of my time than anything else this year, including Horizon, BotW, and everything else.

Moving on to the end of the Heavensward post-game and onto Stormblood. My Dragoon is ready to go. Wound up mainlining a lot of the story near the end so my Dark Knight has fallen behind. Also playing some Red Mage and Bard too.

Great game. Pretty pleased I randomly grabbed it when the starter edition went on sale.

I was bored so I decided to use my garbage paint skills to see what happens when you combine FFXIV with BDO.

I also discovered that SE do in fact have plans to increase customization options for 5.0 including the addition of a new clan for each race, below is a pic of the new clan for Lalafell which will come with its own unique customization options.

Astral

So Thordan
basically became a Primal.
Um, how exactly? Something about
the soul of the original king or idk what.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So Thordan
Ishgardian society revolves around their religion as well as their "crusade" against dragons. This is the exact thing that fuels primals for the various beast tribes, on top of crystals. Then they added some artifacts and voila, Human Primal.

Astral

Ishgardian society revolves around their religion as well as their "crusade" against dragons. This is the exact thing that fuels primals for the various beast tribes, on top of crystals. Then they added some artifacts and voila, Human Primal.

Ah ok.
He just mentioned the prayers as he died.
NICE OF YOU TO JOIN US ESTINIEN.

Astral

So ends 3.0. That was so good. The story
peaked at Nidhogg's defeat in the Aery
but the rest was still among the best FF stories. It makes ARR look pretty awful in comparison.
Haurchefant was a bro to the very end. Taking me in after being forsaken, warming my spirits with some hot cocoa, and taking a killing blow for me.
Ysayle and Estinien were great characters too. I loved traveling with them. I didn't even care that the Scions were gone by the end. These two characters alone shit all over all of them, especially boring-ass Minfilia.

Guess Who

Banned
So ends 3.0. That was so good. The story
peaked at Nidhogg's defeat in the Aery
but the rest was still among the best FF stories. It makes ARR look pretty awful in comparison.
Haurchefant was a bro to the very end. Taking me in after being forsaken, warming my spirits with some hot cocoa, and taking a killing blow for me.
Ysayle and Estinien were great characters too. I loved traveling with them. I didn't even care that the Scions were gone by the end. These two characters alone shit all over all of them, especially boring-ass Minfilia.

3.x's writing is basically a tacit acknowledgement that the 2.x Scions suck ass so it just totally reworks all of them. Like how they take the time to
actually give Y'shtola some backstory and character development

Astral

Heavensward's story is great and all but I just spent 200 tomes on IlluminatinTaut Gobtwine instead of Tautest Gobtwine. WHY ARE THE NAMES SO SIMILAR!? I'm going to bed.

Haly

Square's loot system is so backasswards I swear.

Zomba13

So Thordan

Basically all you need for a primal is 1) Faith/belief 2) A loooot of Aether. Beast tribes do this with huge amounts of crystals and their faith in their god but really anyone could summon a primal.

(HW 3.0 ending spoiler)
Thordan basically did what Ysayle did and turned himself and his knights into the legendary knights using the massive faith/belief from the Ishgardian Holy See and the aether from Nidhogg's eye. Helped by them being at war with dragons for hundreds of years and lying about the nature of the war getting them blind faith from the majority of Ishgard.

The stuff with Primals in this game is some of my favorite Summon lore in all of FF.

Shandy

Boy, Heavensward and its patches sure do
stack the bodies high.

Heavensward's story is great and all but I just spent 200 tomes on IlluminatinTaut Gobtwine instead of Tautest Gobtwine. WHY ARE THE NAMES SO SIMILAR!? I'm going to bed.

lol I did that the other day. I ran in, grabbed what I needed, then ran out of the building and looked at my log like "Wait... Wait. Wait."

ZangBa

I played this before sometime when Ninja just released I think and haven't played since, but I'm thinking of getting Stormblood because I'm interest In Ivalice stuff and samurais. I have a couple questions, though.

Does it really matter what class I level up until 50? I played a Rogue/Ninja before and it was mind of complicated for just leveling, something I would normally not mind but since I'm using a controller I'm a bit lazy. I'm going to start over on a different server so it's going to be fresh. I'm thinking between Monk and Lancer. At level 30, I want to use a Dark Knight, but I want to know if tanking is easy enough while leveling that I don't have to really worry about it. I have a lot of experience with WoW so the concept is known to me, thankfully.

Does race matter at all for classes?

Lastly, is leveling to 50 faster than back in that time? If not, then damn.

Sorian

Banned
Race does not matter for classes, it's the difference between 1-2 stat points and that's a drop in the ocean at level 70.

Leveling is faster but you need to do the storyline anyway because everything is tied to completing story check points.

If you plan to go dark knight then no, it doesn't matter what you level to 50 (because you have to get to the level 50 expansion city before you can swap to dark knight) but might as well choose marauder or gladiator so you can abuse free tank queues and learn FFXIV style tanking.

Haly

Male Roe looks silly for any class that doesn't wear heavy armor. That's something.

I mean maybe you want to look silly...

Top Bottom