• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Why don't melee dps carry Goad? It irks me as a Ninja main when I can't get goaded back by a melee.
Because there are several other role actions that are usually better at any given time.

If your fellow melee isn't dying with invigorate down and/or you have a BRD there's really no reason to carry Goad instead of Second wind, Feint or in some cases Arms Length

Levito

Banned
Got WHM to 70 last night. This job is so much more fun than they were in 3.0, I love them. Which is funny considering everyone was certain they'd be useless in 4.0.(Granted the changes did look bad on paper)

Got WHM to 70 last night. This job is so much more fun than they were in 3.0, I love them. Which is funny considering everyone was certain they'd be useless in 4.0.(Granted the changes did look bad on paper)
The changes were bad in practice as well, it's just that WHM's basic kit would always be viable enough as is and no one expected Square to blueball SCH players this hard.

Reworked Plenary is really fucking nice though, I'll give them that so while Lilies are basically just Benison ammo WHM ended up in a nice spot with a little help from Balance being fucking nerfed eventually.

Levito

Banned
The changes were bad in practice as well, it's just that WHM's basic kit would always be viable enough as is and no one expected Square to blueball SCH players this hard.

I definitely don't agree with that. They're so much more mobile and fun to play even in just normal dungeons, dps is obviously way up on 'em. Whereas everyone just assumed they'd be nothing but pure healing potency in 4.0, everyone thought they'd just be left in the dust by SCH and AST.

Though I totally agree SCH got low balled bad though.

Because there are several other role actions that are usually better at any given time.

If your fellow melee isn't dying with invigorate down and/or you have a BRD there's really no reason to carry Goad instead of Second wind, Feint or in some cases Arms Length

I agree with you on Goad for 8 man content, but in 4 man dungeons they should take it. I think I can count on one hand how many fights require Arms Length.

scy

Eh, it's less about being useless and more that they still lack in the same areas that they've historically lacked. Much of the healing they have is excessive (to the point that in O4S and all the heavy spikes, I still don't heal anyway) and they're tied pretty hard to the GCD.

Ultimately, they're still basically a safe overall healer come raid content, hilariously well equipped for dungeons, and will find most of their kit being unneeded as time goes by rather than allowing for a better ceiling in runs.

Squishy3

Eh, it's less about being useless and more that they still lack in the same areas that they've historically lacked. Much of the healing they have is excessive (to the point that in O4S and all the heavy spikes, I still don't heal anyway) and they're tied pretty hard to the GCD.

Ultimately, they're still basically a safe overall healer come raid content, hilariously well equipped for dungeons, and will find most of their kit being unneeded as time goes by rather than allowing for a better ceiling in runs.
Eh, depends on how Super Savage plays out. Their kit will probably still be useful in there.

Astral

I just encountered the
Warriors of Darkness
. This is some Saturday morning cartoon shit. And I guess
Thancred
got a tan?

scy

Eh, depends on how Super Savage plays out. Their kit will probably still be useful in there.

And I'll reassess it then, too; "maybe next time!" just seems to keep pushing out the issue a bit? I dunno. I just like to discuss things is all. Ultimately, I enjoyed WHM through prog but I don't think it's current standing is on the merit of themselves being a powerhouse healer is more my point, really.

PepperedHam

I just encountered the
Warriors of Darkness
Thancred
got a tan?
The
Warriors of Darkness
plot thread is one of my favorites in Heavensward. Hoping the Stormblood patches have the same highs that the Heavensward patches did.

Edzi

The
Warriors of Darkness
plot thread is one of my favorites in Heavensward. Hoping the Stormblood patches have the same highs that the Heavensward patches did.

That was actually my least favorite part. I thought it would build up to be something a lot bigger than it was, so by the end it just felt kind of limp. It got rid of a certain scion though, so that was nice.

PepperedHam

That was actually my least favorite part. I thought it would build up to be something a lot bigger than it was, so by the end it just felt kind of limp. It got rid of a certain scion though, so that was nice.
I was mostly into how meta it got. It did sort of fizzle out though.

Why don't melee dps carry Goad? It irks me as a Ninja main when I can't get goaded back by a melee.

Ever since i was scolded by a tank on my first dungeon back from years off the game, i keep goad skill on my dragoon. Dont want to be another "LOL dragoon". Dont have that option i believe on red mage but loving red mage as a dps class going forward. Shocked i never picked up blm before but rdm just feels right. Oh finally hit heavensward!! Forgot who told me it would take 2-3 months to get to stormblood on gaf FC , but they were not lying.

Squishy3

I was mostly into how meta it got. It did sort of fizzle out though.
Eh, I think it's there to set up more grander things that will happen way later down the line. It basically sets up a few key pieces, using anciliary knowledge from the game and the lore book:

Elidibus' motives in sending the WoD after us are not entirely malevolent, per se, thus neither are Urianger's motives in working with him, even aside from the fact he didn't betray us and helped us, his betrayal was key in what ended up happening. Elidibus had shown him the Gerun Oracles in Great Gubal Library, a book referred to more than once now and his "betrayal" of the WoD was probably part of his plan. Louisoix is familiar with it, as per this New Year's greeting by Yoshida http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f03a913191841b0559fd6374069f53dba629018c) There is some grander mystery to the reflections and the rejoining, and both Hydaelyn/Elidibus are keeping things from us. (also the devs for not letting us see the Gerun Oracles. grrrrrrr)

A world entirely consumed by Light/Darkness is useless in the grand scheme to him, as the 13th reflection fell to the Void and cannot be rejoined with the root world (the one we play the game in) so sending the WoD after us and the sytoryline ending with them "dying" and Minfilia absorbing the excess Light from the 1st reflection makes it viable to be rejoined again, working into his plans. It's basically implied the other Ascians take methods into their own hands and just work to try to cause calamities to cause rejoinings without thinking about potential consequences, again: see 13th reflection. (And Unukulhai is from there and fled to our world with the help of Elidibus and will inevitably play a role in future stories.... maybe return to ivalice?)

LordKasual

Banned

I told everyone to calm the hell down about WHM

But everyone just chose to wail their lungs out

The changes looked weak on paper, but paper and reality are never the same thing, in ANY game where people think its a smart idea to theorycraft without all the variables

iammeiam

WHM is good at all the things people said they'd be good at on paper.

They're bad at literally everything people said they would be bad at on paper.

Lilies are a bad gameplay mechanic. Plenary in practice was as bad as plenary on paper until they literally changed everything about it to make it good.

Like, nothing about the arc of WHM thusfar runs counter to any of the problems pointed out pre-launch. It's useless for mitigation. It's useless for any raid utility. The hardest-hitting fight in the game incentivizes not using the thing WHM is good at because they weren't given aggro management skills to cope with their raw heal bomb power.

Like, I get that "HA! SUCK IT HATERS!" is really satisfying for people, but WHM isn't showing anyone up, lilies haven't secretly become a good mechanic, and plenary/confessions were every bit as bad as rumored pre-launch.

It's functional, but limited, in the same way it was functional and limited in Creator.

Couple dumb newbie questions:

1) How long does it take to get from lv60 to 70? Is it roughly equivalent to lv50 to 60? I'm at the later half of the Astral Era quests and my highest lv class is a WHM at 60. I'm trying to decide whether to level my lv54 RDM through MSQ and my WHM via roulettes, or if the xp requirement is large enough that I should focus all xp on my WHM

2) How is the AST class compared to WHM? I'm interested in eventually trying the class out, but if the differences aren't too big, I might just stick with WHM

Berordn

Couple dumb newbie questions:

1) How long does it take to get from lv60 to 70? Is it roughly equivalent to lv50 to 60? I'm at the later half of the Astral Era quests and my highest lv class is a WHM at 60. I'm trying to decide whether to level my lv54 RDM through MSQ and my WHM via roulettes, or if the xp requirement is large enough that I should focus all xp on my WHM

2) How is the AST class compared to WHM? I'm interested in eventually trying the class out, but if the differences aren't too big, I might just stick with WHM

1) 60 to 70 is pretty close to 50 to 60. The MSQ is almost enough to get characters to max level, with a couple gaps between.
2) AST and WHM have a very similar basic toolkit, but AST can swap out their HoTs for Shields and instead of dealing damage they spend their free time playing tarot to buff everyone else. They're my favorite healer at the moment but it takes a while before they feel like more than "different color WHM"

Gator86

I just encountered the
Warriors of Darkness
Thancred
got a tan?

Just finished 3.4. Fucking woof, that was bad. I didn't give two shits about anything happening. I want to go back to Heavensward.
The Warriors of Darkness plot was traaaaaaaash. I got excited after realizing it was the guy from the menu movies, but he was just some lemming. The whole multiple worlds plot is...not interesting...at all.

I think I'm probably gonna be really into the Stormblood plot but keep drifting further from the main Ascian//Hydaelen/grander plot. It's kind of dreck whereas the Heavensward main story was great and Stormblood sounds equally good.

PepperedHam

Just finished 3.4. Fucking woof, that was bad. I didn't give two shits about anything happening. I want to go back to Heavensward.
The Warriors of Darkness plot was traaaaaaaash. I got excited after realizing it was the guy from the menu movies, but he was just some lemming. The whole multiple worlds plot is...not interesting...at all.

I think I'm probably gonna be really into the Stormblood plot but keep drifting further from the main Ascian//Hydaelen/grander plot. It's kind of dreck whereas the Heavensward main story was great and Stormblood sounds equally good.
I liked that
he was just a lemming. The fact that they were just players like you and me, lamenting over killing the bosses, doing the quests, and defeating evil only to still have their world (1.0) destroyed no matter what was really fun to me.

Gator86

I liked that
he was just a lemming. The fact that they were just players like you and me, lamenting over killing the bosses, doing the quests, and defeating evil only to still have their world (1.0) destroyed no matter what was really fun to me.

Completely forgot 1.0 was even a thing to be honest. That's a little cleverer now. Still not a fan,
but I guess I get what they were going for a little more, albeit it's still a weird plot turn.

AXE

Love this game to pieces but I don't have time to be online 24/7, and thusly I don't fit into my current guild's raid rosters. Bought a year's worth gametime but now I feel like dropping this as I'm not getting into raids.

I'd really appreciate if anyone has any knowledge about a guild with the following details:

- English speaking
- European, preferably in Scandinavian time zone
- Mature folks, 25+ yrs
- Relaxed atmosphere but focused when need be
- People with jobs, family etc

I'm currently a ronery tank. Been tanking since WoW.

Thanks!

Village

Is that the implication?
is it gender spacific

also , when you return from a dungeon, but you were in a public place and folks talking about wild shit in the open

giphy.gif

Looks like I will be purchasing the ps4 version tonight.

Wife wants this game, so eventually I'll also be getting a pc version as well so we can both play.

We are playing on the adamantoise server.

Any useful tips for n00bs?

Looks like I will be purchasing the ps4 version tonight.

Wife wants this game, so eventually I'll also be getting a pc version as well so we can both play.

We are playing on the adamantoise server.

Any useful tips for n00bs?

I guess the two things that spring to mind are:

1. Your starting city is determined by your class (which upgrades into a "job" at level 30), and the starting cities have separate introductory quests that merge into the main scenario at level 15. It doesn't take too long to get to this point, but if you want to play with your wife right from the start, here are the starting classes per city:

Limsa Lominsa - Marauder (upgrades to Warrior), Arcanist (Summoner, Scholar)
Ul'dah - Gladiator (Paladin), Pugilist (Monk), Thaumaturge (Black Mage)
Gridania - Archer (Bard), Lancer (Dragoon), Conjurer (White Mage)

Ninja, Dark Knight, Astrologian, Machinist, Red Mage, and Samurai aren't available right from the start. There should be guides on how to unlock these. Ninja is avaiable pretty early on, DRK/AST/MCH require you to start Heavensward, and RDM and SAM require you to have a level 50 job.

(Speaking of which, you might want to get used to the three-letter abbreviations for classes and jobs, as they get used pretty frequently. :V)

2. Do "Hall of the Novice" (accessible by talking to The Smith") as soon as you can.
It might be a bit eye-roll easy, but it rewards you with a good starter set of level 15 gear for free, and a ring that gives you an XP bonus up to level 30.

Hope this helps and 3. have fun.

TP hasn't really been an issue since Stormblood. I barely even use Invigorate as a Monk unless I die or something.

This, even though you always get that one tank that pulls everything.

As a MNK True North is a freaking Godsend for me and fidgety tanks. Also mechanics where you have to stack in front or to the side of the boss and want to use your rotation regardless.

Off-topic ish edit: PF for Deltascape savage starting to suck. Seems I run into parties who ONLY accept the meta for DPS. I can sorta understand BRD having a reserved slot, but you don't need both NIN & BRD unless your team is just that bad (or you are speedrunning, do that on your own time kthx), then the third slot is usually 90% SAM and the fourth people argue they want a RDM but honestly any DPS can qualify for the last slot. Had to argue with a leader that MNK's brotherhood would actually benefit the Physical DPS.

Astral

So how come some tanks just start getting destroyed during big pulls and I have to pull all the stops to make sure they don't die but then others barely need healing once I've got Regen and Medica II up and let me do some dps? Is it the enemies? The job? The player?

So how come some tanks just start getting destroyed during big pulls and I have to pull all the stops to make sure they don't die but then others barely need healing once I've got Regen and Medica II up and let me do some dps? Is it the enemies? The job? The player?
Probably an undergeared tank and/or a tank that isn't using their CDs

iammeiam

Mix and match kind of? Gear, how good the tank is, and the specific pulls can make a huge difference. There are a few trash mobs in the current EXDR dungeons that hit a lot harder than everything else. A tank that saves all their CDs for 10% HP, or pops everything while gathering mobs, is going to be harder to heal than one rotating CDs properly. Different tanks have different CD sets which can impact things (if a tank decides to pop their invuln skill on a big pull, a PLD will sit at full HP while a WAR and DRK will have their HP plummet due to how their skills work), during leveling get things at different levels, a good tank will sprint when they do big pulls to decrease the amount of time they're taking damage before stopping to fight, etc.

That said, WHM should almost always be able to get a decent amount of DPS out up front once you have Holy. Holy gets a lot of credit for WHM DPS, by it's an amazing tool for the healing side to buy you Aero time since you can stunlock mobs for like 7 seconds every pull during which the tank will take no damage and Regen/asylum can tick them up.

Astral

Mix and match kind of? Gear, how good the tank is, and the specific pulls can make a huge difference. There are a few trash mobs in the current EXDR dungeons that hit a lot harder than everything else. A tank that saves all their CDs for 10% HP, or pops everything while gathering mobs, is going to be harder to heal than one rotating CDs properly. Different tanks have different CD sets which can impact things (if a tank decides to pop their invuln skill on a big pull, a PLD will sit at full HP while a WAR and DRK will have their HP plummet due to how their skills work), during leveling get things at different levels, a good tank will sprint when they do big pulls to decrease the amount of time they're taking damage before stopping to fight, etc.

That said, WHM should almost always be able to get a decent amount of DPS out up front once you have Holy. Holy gets a lot of credit for WHM DPS, by it's an amazing tool for the healing side to buy you Aero time since you can stunlock mobs for like 7 seconds every pull during which the tank will take no damage and Regen/asylum can tick them up.

That's what I try to do but sometimes I absolutely can't because the tank is taking way too much damage and I have to stick too healing nonstop. Sometimes it's a struggle to get Medica II up. I sometimes have to use an early Benediction. Sohr Khai last night was one of the best dungeon runs I've been in because I was able to spam Holy to my heart's content. The tank never even came close to dying. It made me wonder if the dungeon was just really easy or if it's a DRK thing. I'm not familiar with a tank's abilities so maybe he was just using them well.

Village

DRK is really appealing to me but I don't think I can be a tank. Too much pressure and I'd get lost in every dungeon.

Its not as hard as you would think. And its an easy way to get into raid farms. And DRK has a pretty cool storyline, and like the name suggests its kinda dark.

Top Bottom