• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Omni

It's so lame that the v4s mount plays the default beast tribe mount music or whatever it is

Wonder if they'll patch it

It's so lame that the v4s mount plays the default beast tribe mount music or whatever it is

Wonder if they'll patch it

Speaking of music, where is the portable Orchestrion? I really want this after having one in FFXV, makes it so you can setup a playlist of songs and then just ignore all the other musics in the game. Although I guess they should probably start by making the combat music optional, which it isn't atm. On mount music I've turned off like 3years ago and never went back, I much prefer listening to the theme of the zone than the mount music and with how long you spend on mounts it's annoying(also the constant breaks and changes in music when it goes mount > zone > combat > zone > mount is annoying).

Ken

Speaking of music, where is the portable Orchestrion? I really want this after having one in FFXV, makes it so you can setup a playlist of songs and then just ignore all the other musics in the game. Although I guess they should probably start by making the combat music optional, which it isn't atm. On mount music I've turned off like 3years ago and never went back, I much prefer listening to the theme of the zone than the mount music and with how long you spend on mounts it's annoying(also the constant breaks and changes in music when it goes mount > zone > combat > zone > mount is annoying).

Pretty sure that's called VLC Media Player running in the background.

Pretty sure that's called VLC Media Player running in the background.

Yeah I guess but that'd give a bigger incentives to look for Orchestrion rolls ingame and stuff. Atm they have super limited use, a lot of people don't even have houses/apartments, and those who do don't even necessarily spend a lot of time there anyway, so it feels a bit like a wasted feature. If on the other hand you could choose to play different tracks when you're questing or doing FATEs or what not it'd be great, kinda like potd. That's the one thing I like about potd, getting the Pharos Sirius theme playing gets my hyped for the 3floors or whatever it lasts.

IvorB

So ends 3.0. That was so good. The story
peaked at Nidhogg's defeat in the Aery
but the rest was still among the best FF stories. It makes ARR look pretty awful in comparison.
Haurchefant was a bro to the very end. Taking me in after being forsaken, warming my spirits with some hot cocoa, and taking a killing blow for me.
Ysayle and Estinien were great characters too. I loved traveling with them. I didn't even care that the Scions were gone by the end. These two characters alone shit all over all of them, especially boring-ass Minfilia.

Estinien is great and Ysayle is one of the best characters in the game with her whole story and her theme. This scene is one of the best (major HW spoiler).

Berordn

I got the game to run again!

And then I watched some fireworks.

ffxiv_08102017_004305fhsuv.png

i finally started to figure out gpose

Nightz

Ran through Castrum Meridianum for the first time last night and had to skip all the cutscenes because the other party members were just blowing through everything. Glad I was able to find a Youtube video of all the cutscenes to watch on my commute this morning.

zonezeus

Ran through Castrum Meridianum for the first time last night and had to skip all the cutscenes because the other party members were just blowing through everything. Glad I was able to find a Youtube video of all the cutscenes to watch on my commute this morning.

I lost my party like 20% into the dungeon, just sat back and enjoyed the show. Even got a commendation out of it.

Croc

Banned
I lost my party like 20% into the dungeon, just sat back and enjoyed the show. Even got a commendation out of it.

Lol, that happened to my husband too. He was really into the story and was annoyed with how fast everyone was going, then after a certain point half of the group got totally left behind and the tanks were paying so little attention to everything else they didn't even know.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Damn, WARs are so rare in raids now, if FFlogs is anything to go by.

It does suck how we have no utility anymore, though.

Gator86

The last two missions of the ARR story are among the worst things I've experienced in gaming. I wrote a longer post a few weeks ago on this exact thing when I did it. My group cleared things so fast I didn't even have time to finish cutscenes so it wasn't even coherent. Probably the most poorly designed thing I've encountered in a game in recent memory.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How long into HW does it take tobget your flying mount. I thought I read it comes naturally via story missions?

If you're talking about being able to make your chocobo fly, that comes in a level 52 sidequest in Ishgard. You also need to have reached the Dravanian Forelands in the MSQ.

iammeiam

Damn, WARs are so rare in raids now, if FFlogs is anything to go by.

It does suck how we have no utility anymore, though.

I can't really think of anything that would have been easier with PLD/DRK than PLD/WAR, and having access to Holmgang meant more frequent invulns to trivialize more tank buster stuff. It'll be interesting to see if the numbers level off over time.

MogCakes

The last two missions of the ARR story are among the worst things I've experienced in gaming. I wrote a longer post a few weeks ago on this exact thing when I did it. My group cleared things so fast I didn't even have time to finish cutscenes so it wasn't even coherent. Probably the most poorly designed thing I've encountered in a game in recent memory.
It was just as bad at launch too. Incredibly poor design and they will probably never fix it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Getting rid of cut scenes in dungeons was a good idea.

But I wish they had kept the 8 man final dungeon in SB and HW.

Gator86

It was just as bad at launch too. Incredibly poor design and they will probably never fix it.

The problem is immediately obvious within seconds. It's still astounding to me they released the game with that design. It's much better in HW and up, as people have said, but goddamn the end of ARR is a disgrace.

I'm almost to Stormblood now. Can't wait!

Akuun

I can't really think of anything that would have been easier with PLD/DRK than PLD/WAR, and having access to Holmgang meant more frequent invulns to trivialize more tank buster stuff. It'll be interesting to see if the numbers level off over time.
True, I do find myself popping Holmgang more. I use it at least once per floor these days, mostly as insurance to stay in Deliverance.

I really miss Bloodbath. It made Deliverance so much safer.

On the Final Trial, my first group wiped at 1% and I haven't had such success since...I'm kinda disappointed that I'll be stuck here for hours.

Edit: Just had an awesome group, wow!

Astral

Does anyone have a hard time fighting the Ascians?
Lahabrea
was a joke but
Nebriales
and
Ascian Prime
kicked my ass a bit as a healer. They're the only bosses where I felt like a bad player. I died at the end of the latter fight but luckily it was almost dead when it happened so my party just finished it off.

Akuun

Does anyone have a hard time fighting the Ascians?
Lahabrea
was a joke but
Nebriales
and
Ascian Prime
kicked my ass a bit as a healer. They're the only bosses where I felt like a bad player. I died at the end of the latter fight but luckily it was almost dead when it happened so my party just finished it off.
There's a lot of stuff happening during that fight, so if people don't do the mechanics properly then they can take a lot of damage and debuffs that could be avoided.

You may be feeling overworked as a healer there because people might be ignoring the mechanics.

SkyOdin

In case you were not aware, you can rewatch any cutscene using the book in inn rooms.

Astral

There's a lot of stuff happening during that fight, so if people don't do the mechanics properly then they can take a lot of damage and debuffs that could be avoided.

You may be feeling overworked as a healer there because people might be ignoring the mechanics.

Some of the boss mechanics bother me. That
Ascian Prime
battle for example. Before this fight you always
avoid the black holes on the ground, but in this fight you have to step on them to avoid a ton of debuffs?
I would never have even guessed that seeing as I've been avoiding them the entire game.

Akuun

Some of the boss mechanics bother me. That
Ascian Prime
battle for example. Before this fight you always
avoid the black holes on the ground, but in this fight you have to step on them to avoid a ton of debuffs?
I would never have even guessed that seeing as I've been avoiding them the entire game.
Yeah, some mechanics get more complicated from here. The game usually does a good job of showing what you should and shouldn't do, though unfortunately there are exceptions where the tells aren't all that intuitive, or actively counterintuitive.

Thankfully, these are much rarer than the cases where what you should do is well telegraphed by the game.

Village

Do you all not like it because it suggests that , that tiny babby babbo potato baby is tougher than your non tank character?

Why do you hate Raubahn son so much

Edzi

How many classes are you guys trying to level to 70 (that you plan on actually using)?

I'm aiming for WAR (already 70), SAM, RMG, and a healer. I've yet to decide if I want to stick with AST or WHM.

Croc

Banned
How many classes are you guys trying to level to 70 (that you plan on actually using)?

I'm aiming for WAR (already 70), SAM, RMG, and a healer. I've yet to decide if I want to stick with AST or WHM.

I'm still working through Heavensward stuff so it'll be a bit for me still but I'm planning on 1 of each role. Levled BLM and AST a lot already and thinking of DRK for my tank.

Edzi

I'm still working through Heavensward stuff so it'll be a bit for me still but I'm planning on 1 of each role. Levled BLM and AST a lot already and thinking of DRK for my tank.

I was originally planning one of each as well, but I couldn't decide between the SB dps jobs so I'm just (slowly) leveling both.

Croc

Banned
DRK is really appealing to me but I don't think I can be a tank. Too much pressure and I'd get lost in every dungeon.

Yeah that's why I'm saving tanking for after I learn the game much better with DPS/healer. The biggest problems I see with tanks are them just doing whatever they want and not paying attention to anyone else in the team. So many times they'll just do big pull after big pull without even giving me a second to get my MP back and then get annoyed when I can't keep up. I've started snapping back tho and being like "well how about next time you give me more than 2 seconds to get my MP back and we'll see how it goes then", and they'll usually shut up when it goes fine afterwards.

I think as long as you're straightforward about being new at something then people are usually friendly and willing to accommodate. And if not, that's their problem and not yours.

The next FF MMO's combat will be action based like DMC4.

Instead of people uploading videos of them just beating raids it will instead have people uploading videos like " Exdeath Savage solo without touching the floor", and "Another Primal Down Group Combo Video".

Croc

Banned
I am really interested to see what direction the next FF MMO goes in. Just cause from what I've read/watched it seems like a lot of 2.0 onwards is just based off of what was built for 1.0. And after watching that one doc it seems like that was all built without having done any research into what current MMOs and such were doing.

So I'm very curious to see what they'll do when they actually take their time to research where MMOs have gone and what new things they can do with em. Obviously with where FF has been going in other games lately I wouldn't be surprised if it was more action oriented.

gryvan

Yeah that's why I'm saving tanking for after I learn the game much better with DPS/healer. The biggest problems I see with tanks are them just doing whatever they want and not paying attention to anyone else in the team. So many times they'll just do big pull after big pull without even giving me a second to get my MP back and then get annoyed when I can't keep up. I've started snapping back tho and being like "well how about next time you give me more than 2 seconds to get my MP back and we'll see how it goes then", and they'll usually shut up when it goes fine afterwards.

I think as long as you're straightforward about being new at something then people are usually friendly and willing to accommodate. And if not, that's their problem and not yours.

Im sorry :(

I am really interested to see what direction the next FF MMO goes in. Just cause from what I've read/watched it seems like a lot of 2.0 onwards is just based off of what was built for 1.0. And after watching that one doc it seems like that was all built without having done any research into what current MMOs and such were doing.

So I'm very curious to see what they'll do when they actually take their time to research where MMOs have gone and what new things they can do with em. Obviously with where FF has been going in other games lately I wouldn't be surprised if it was more action oriented.

Whatever they do it better not be another tab target hotbar piano game.

It's been done to death in so many MMOs for decades with little innovation simply because WoW did it.

Zuly

Whatever they do it better not be another tab target hotbar piano game.

It's been done to death in so many MMOs for decades with little innovation simply because WoW did it.

I think the issue is that the majority of games that try to innovate the combat fail in the raid department. If SE decides to risk doing a more action based combat, it would probably be something more akin to Kingdom Hearts/FFXV.

Croc

Banned
I feel whatever they do is going to be highly dependent on how people react to FFXV and FFVII remake's combat. I didn't really follow XV so idk how people felt about it but aren't both it and VII action based?

rezn0r

I played this before sometime when Ninja just released I think and haven't played since, but I'm thinking of getting Stormblood because I'm interest In Ivalice stuff and samurais. I have a couple questions, though.

Does it really matter what class I level up until 50? I played a Rogue/Ninja before and it was mind of complicated for just leveling, something I would normally not mind but since I'm using a controller I'm a bit lazy. I'm going to start over on a different server so it's going to be fresh. I'm thinking between Monk and Lancer. At level 30, I want to use a Dark Knight, but I want to know if tanking is easy enough while leveling that I don't have to really worry about it. I have a lot of experience with WoW so the concept is known to me, thankfully.

Does race matter at all for classes?

Lastly, is leveling to 50 faster than back in that time? If not, then damn.

Starting over fresh 1-50 isn't gonna matter which class you pick, if you are worried about being able to pick what you want after that. I think you just care about opening up the Heavensward areas/city (by doing the main storyline) which would then let you unlock DRK. 1-30 is probably insanely fast for either MNK or DRG (I mean, it's pugilist & lancer until you hit 30, after 30 you can do the job quests)

I haven't tanked in a long time, so I'm not the best to answer questions about it - if you've done it in WoW you'd know what you were doing as far as just exping/doing non-endgame stuff goes. You'd be fine.

As mentioned above, 1-50 should be really really fast. I had everything at 50 around the time NIN came out, so I can't say this 100%, but I'd be shocked as hell if it didn't seem much better than back when you are remembering. 50-60 will slow down a bit, 60-70 is the new "stretch" and I have even done that twice since Stormblood came out and I have very limited playtime.

Welcome back!

Edzi

I'm trying to play SAM a bit now but because I've played tank for so long I keep instinctively wanting to stand in front of enemies. It's already gotten me killed a couple times.

Also, unrelated, but I managed to see Ixion for the first time yesterday but didn't manage to get silver/gold. Do I just have to get more damage in or what?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm trying to play SAM a bit now but because I've played tank for so long I keep instinctively wanting to stand in front of enemies. It's already gotten me killed a couple times.

Also, unrelated, but I managed to see Ixion for the first time yesterday but didn't manage to get silver/gold. Do I just have to get more damage in or what?
Yes. Join a party. Getting enough credit solo is impossible. It's difficult to get full credit even as a party given latency/lag/dc issues.

Top Bottom