• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

obonicus

Is this a surprise? Edge is just like any other review mag, except it has an inexplicably high amount of fanboy worship.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
What's your point dude? Some bias towards action games? You name some of the most famous and respected series in the genre, but that's hardly all the action games we get. For each good one there's a whole bunch of really crappy ones. Not saying that I agree with all those scores though.

Tell me more

Dabanton

The Hug Dog said:
Sadly I think 90% of people in this thread have likely never read Edge for any length of time. A 5 for Dragon Age is not shocking at all. What it boils down to is, their opinion doesn't match Gafs opinion therefore it is wrong/they have an agenda

Exactly Gaf is a hype machine,see any of the pre-game threads on here, where the excitement and expectation is ratcheted up to absolute insane levels. Then watch as the first semi negative review is set upon like a fox being hunted by dogs,then any review which rates their beloved below 9 is discarded as a disgrace.

Think about it people are holding grudges because a magazine rated the game they have a hard on for lower than what they would give it. It would be a interesting social experiment if Edge let some gaffers edit the magazine for one month i guarantee every game would be given a 10.

Oh except the Wii games which would be rated with -1's

obonicus

Dabanton said:
Exactly Gaf is a hype machine,see any of the pre-game threads on here, where the excitement and expectation is ratcheted up to absolute insane levels. Then watch as the first semi negative review is set upon like a fox being hunted by dogs,then any review which rates their beloved below 9 is discarded as a disgrace.

This works the other way too, though. People behave as if Edge's score is the One True Score when other than better grammar, there's absolutely no reason to believe this. It's a ridiculous notion on its face, even. It's not like Edge is out hiring all the gamerati for its publication; it's picking up the same fanboys any other publication does.

Pug

I bet the editorial team piss temsleves every month after reading the GAF EDGE threads. I love it when posters go overboard, especially to a magazine that sells less than 30K copies a month.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bayonetta
Sweet Sweet Victory!

EviLore said:
Zone of the Enders 2 - 4/10
hes_so_old6.gif

Haunted

EviLore said:
Let's do action series:

Halo - 10/10
Halo 2 - 9/10
Halo 3 - 10/10
Halo ODST - 9/10
Gears of War - 8/10
Gears of War 2 - 9/10
Grand Theft Auto - 8/10
Grand Theft Auto 2 - 8/10
GTA III - 8/10
GTA Vice City - 8/10
GTA San Andreas - 9/10
GTA IV - 10/10
Uncharted - 8/10
Uncharted 2 - 9/10
Devil May Cry - 8/10
Devil May Cry 2 - 6/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 8/10
Ninja Gaiden - 9/10
Ninja Gaiden II - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid - 9/10
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 8/10

Well now you're just baiting.

Pug

Dr Zhivago said:
Edge should just drop scores completely, although then we'd miss out on the monthly comedy thread.

They did for one issue, well the scores were hidden towards the back of the mag.

5 for dragon age and 10 for Bayonetta?...All I'm going to say is that EDGE is straying further and further from my taste in games...not that they were that close to begin with.

Corto

Dabanton said:

Think about it people are holding grudges because a magazine rated the game they have a hard on for lower than what they would give it. It would be a interesting social experiment if Edge let some gaffers edit the magazine for one month i guarantee every game would be given a 10.

That is all good and dandy... but comparing SOME of the Edge scores with other equally reputable mags/sites the difference is somewhat notable and strange. That a professional games critic has a bad opinion of a game that I love I understand but having an opinion that is so disparate of their fellow critics is something to feel... strange. Isn't it? And I'm still a subscriber of the magazine so the "you don't even read the reviews" card is not an issue here....

SmokyDave

TheExecutive said:
That's because EDGE sucks. If they discontinued that magazine I would shed a tear of joy.:lol

So I take it from this comment that you've never read a copy of Edge. Do you just look at the numbers and rage if they don't meet your pre-conceptions?

Some of you really struggle with the opinions of others don't you.

Huggers

Corto said:
That is all good and dandy... but comparing SOME of the Edge scores with other equally reputable mags/sites the difference is somewhat notable and strange. That a professional games critic has a bad opinion of a game that I love I understand but having an opinion that is so disparate of their fellow critics is something to feel... strange. Isn't it? And I'm still a subscriber of the magazine so the "you don't even read the reviews" card is not an issue here....

Eurogamer gave it a 6, that isn't a million miles away from Edge's 5

Danne-Danger said:
But counting NWN1 and Jade Empire? It's far from the worst Bioware game. I'd say it's about on par with KotOR.
NWN1 had an enjoyable multiplayer but I'll concede on Jade Empire though.

Was there a reason why Dragon Age had no multiplayer? I didn't really follow the dev interviews.

Naeblish

Dabanton said:

Or maybe you are just taking this way too seriously. These threads are fun because people post their immediate reactions after reading the scores. These scores hold zero value, Dragon Age is already out and that means it's very simple, you enjoyed the game or you didn't.

No RPGs please, we're British. I would like to agree with the low scores Edge give to some darlings of the genre but often they bash them for completely the wrong reasons, in my opinion anyway.

Durante

The Hug Dog said:
Eurogamer gave it a 6, that isn't a million miles away from Edge's 5
That's because both Eurogamer and Edge have a very similar (and very shitty) taste in games. (Eurogamer gave PS:T a 7. 7!)
No, in fact it's more than just a mere difference in taste, the scores posted in this thread show that there is no conceivable criteria of quality by which their RPG reviews are even internally consistent.

Wickerbasket said:
NWN1 had an enjoyable multiplayer but I'll concede on Jade Empire though.

Was there a reason why Dragon Age had no multiplayer? I didn't really follow the dev interviews.
One of the doctors explained it on an episode of Retronauts.

Basically they had to limit the storytelling aspects of NWN1 to make it work well online (which is why so many people dislike it, the actual RPG part was underwhelming). In DA they didn't want to make that sacrifice so they focused on making a moddable single player game instead.

Here's the episode.

Walshicus

Amir0x said:
On the one hand, I don't know if I disagree with the Dragon Age origins score. on the other hand, I played it for every waking hour of my time off from work when I got it.

It's derivative as fuck, the loading on the 360 version is fucking nasty, the A.I. can be retarded even when you set their tactics extensively, the game has the most wildly swinging difficulty of any RPG I've played in ages - easy one second, almost impossibly difficult the next.

And yet I can't stop playing it whenever I turn it on. it's a 5/10 and a 9/10!
I've got to be honest, the game would be an 8/10 for me even if it was nothing but the dialogue. I installed the 360 version, so I'm not seeing much loading. AI's been okay so far, though you're right about the difficulty - had to turn that shit down to casual for the Mages' Circle.

Dabanton

Naeblish said:
Or maybe you are just taking this way too seriously. These threads are fun because people post their immediate reactions after reading the scores. These scores hold zero value, Dragon Age is already out and that means it's very simple, you enjoyed the game or you didn't.

Oh i never take this too seriously but you're slighty wrong Edge scores do hold value to certain people a glance through this thread or previous Edge threads will tell you that. :lol

SmokyDave said:
So I take it from this comment that you've never read a copy of Edge. Do you just look at the numbers and rage if they don't meet your pre-conceptions?

Some of you really struggle with the opinions of others don't you.

I have, I used to be a big fan. The magazine became a parody of itself a long time ago. By the beginning of this gen its transformation to complete shit was finished. It was the time I stopped buying it completely. I assume it still has long reviews that aren't based on some standard like the old Edge used to do it, but they're highly opinionated crap full of complaints they struggle to find in order to justify their preconceived negative opinion of a game or complaints followed by "buts" that excuse any flaws they found to justify their preconceived positive opinion of a game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Seiken said:
Yes, have you?

No I have not. But seeing as most publications are giving it great scores and calling it a sequel which adresses pretty much all if not most problems from the first game, I don't see how it is too high.

Also almost only positive impressions from gaffers lead me to believe ACII is amazing.

Another month, another reason for Edge to take the lead and simply do away with scores entirely. Their reviews can stand on their own, and I think there's even a chance that the points they make might then come across here rather than being drowned out by whichever clan has been offended this particular month.

Danne-Danger said:
One of the doctors explained it on an episode of Retronauts.

Basically they had to limit the storytelling aspects of NWN1 to make it work well online (which is why so many people dislike it, the actual RPG part was underwhelming). In DA they didn't want to make that sacrifice so they focused on making a moddable single player game instead.

Here's the episode.
I thought NWN2 handled multiplayer really well, as well as being a great single player RPG.

But if they didn't want to add it then I guess they had their reasons.

ItsInMyVeins said:
What's your point dude? Some bias towards action games? You name some of the most famous and respected series in the genre, but that's hardly all the action games we get. For each good one there's a whole bunch of really crappy ones. Not saying that I agree with all those scores though.
You mention Evilore listing "some of the most famous and respected series in the genre," but isn't that what we're doing with the BioWare games, aren't we? Let's try your phrasing with Bioware.

Rephrased said:
They're easily one of the most famous and respected dev teams in the RPG genre, but that's hardly all the RPG games we get. For each BioWare game there's a whole bunch of really crappy ones.

It still works. Then why is there a discrepancy between action games and RPG games?

Naeblish

Dabanton said:
Oh i never take this too seriously but you're slighty wrong Edge scores do hold value to certain people a glance through this thread or previous Edge threads will tell you that. :lol
Nah, i think people just like to scream against an unfair score (in their opinion) and then move on :D .

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I made the Bayonetta Hype Thread before it was cool. You guys have to trust me sometimes, you know.

ShockingAlberto said:
If one of Edge's complaints about Dragon Age is pacing, then I can probably see where they're coming from.

If it's graphics on the 360 version, I can see it too.

Oop, N/M. Just saw Forty-Cee's link.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ItsInMyVeins said:
Hey, I'm just curious as to why you posted a long list of action games with good scores. You did leave HL2/Orange Box out, though!

Truth is, I don't respect the enthusiast press in general and in particular think pretty much all reviews are a joke (even mine!). Jumping into Edge threads and quoting scores can be pretty fun, though. Yes, if you're going to hate on a review you absolutely should be hating on the text instead of the score (unless they don't match up), but these threads will be what they're about. CRPGs vs action games makes for an...interesting comparison. Or just CRPGs vs CRPGs. Or the worst CRPG on the list having the highest score and the best CRPG since the PC gaming golden age having a 5 (and no, I don't mean Dragon Age). Popcorn-worthy, even.

yeah i hope edge's reviews make edge stop selling and edge goes out of business and they all sit stunned and crying in their office place and they all realize "this is all our fault for not giving [GAF user]'s favorite game the great score it deserves" and then they like blow up or die and then I get free guitar lessons

Majukun

EviLore said:
Let's do action series:

Halo - 10/10
Halo 2 - 9/10
Halo 3 - 10/10
Halo ODST - 9/10
Gears of War - 8/10
Gears of War 2 - 9/10
Grand Theft Auto - 8/10
Grand Theft Auto 2 - 8/10
GTA III - 8/10
GTA Vice City - 8/10
GTA San Andreas - 9/10
GTA IV - 10/10
Uncharted - 8/10
Uncharted 2 - 9/10
Devil May Cry - 8/10
Devil May Cry 2 - 6/10
Devil May Cry 3 - 8/10
Devil May Cry 4 - 8/10
Ninja Gaiden - 9/10
Ninja Gaiden II - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid - 9/10
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 3 - 8/10
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 8/10

halo, dmc/bayonetta and MGS in the same genre?

are you kiddin'?:lol

SmokyDave

fortified_concept said:
I have, I used to be a big fan. The magazine became a parody of itself a long time ago. By the beginning of this gen its transformation to complete shit was finished. It was the time I stopped buying it completely. I assume it still has long reviews that aren't based on some standard like the old Edge used to do it, but they're highly opinionated crap full of complaints they struggle to find in order to justify their preconceived negative opinion of a game or complaints followed by "buts" that excuse any flaws they found to justify their preconceived positive opinion of a game.

To be honest, the last thing I'd miss if Edge disappeared would be the reviews. I'm on top of game news and familiar enough with my own tastes not to need them. If someone is willing to shed a tear of joy at losing all the other content in the magazine just so they don't have to get upset at the number someone else assigned to a game, that person has real issues.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh and the L4D2 score is well deserved! buy that game, people.

I'm much more interested in the Dust 514 cover story than the reviews. Definitely going to check it out when it hits my Barnes and Nobles (..... so, sometime in January)

Top Bottom