• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #209 (Christmas) scores: Dragonage?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10

Oh wow. Guess someone has issues reviewing these games.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DY_nasty said:
Meh, I bought it on a whim. I saw Bioware and thought "Hmm, its gonna be a good rpg, but with obvious glaring flaws"

Its pretty much that, but it has more flaws than anything they've put out - even KoTOR2.
Fair enough, you should do more research next time.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I'm sure the game will be fun, but "pretty good" is a far cry from a 10. Don't get me wrong, I'll be psyched if the game lives up to the score, but I can't help but be skeptical until I try it for myself. I mean, Platinum Games is good, but I don't think anyone saw them cranking out a perfect 10 title based on their prior output. It would sort of put them in a whole new light.

i definitely consider VIEWTIFUL JOE a ten, and even though he's just a platinum games consultant, mikami is certainly capable of making what i would consider a "ten." i'm as skeptical as you about character action games, though, but i'm willing to give BAYONETTA the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot--something i wouldn't do for DMC4. and i ended up selling NG2.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Further proof as to why I grew up and stopped caring about some ridiculous number tacked on the end of a review, let alone bothering to read them anymore.

WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING HALO REACH FEATURE THAT WAS RUMOURED FOLLOWING THE NEXT MONTH PAGE IMAGE?

someone must know what that was for if not reach?

acm2000

ugh, you fucking idiots, stop comparing scores between games of different genres, take each game for each genre and style they represent, DA:O gets 5/10, ME got 7/10 etc

I guess they only have The Elder Scrolls type of rpg lovers in there.

That was sort of my thought-shades of 1up!'s original NWN2 review disaster. It was either that or they outsourced the review to RPGCodex's forumgoers.

Moral of the story: Listen to Desslock.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Seiken said:
Fair enough, you should do more research next time.
I'm not saying that I'm raging and pissed that I ever bought the game, its fun - but its flawed top to bottom. The dialogue, the gameplay, the presentation, the sound, the saving/loading functions, the graphics - Dragon Age is flawed in every single category.

Its kinda fun to play though.

randomwab said:
BAYONETTA!

You're supposed to whisper it sensually!

Magicpaint said:
Agree with this. But if it's even Devil May Cry 1, Viewtiful Joe and Okami good, I'll enjoy the hell out of it. Kamiya ftw.

It's not as good as those, it's better.

Unfortunately the graphics whore in me doesn't want to give it a 10(I'll just settle on a 9.9 ;D).

EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10

So they just hate WRPGs or Bioware games(that aren't also Star Wars games)?

Valru said:
claudia black is an aussie

Exactly. :D

Durante

DY_nasty said:
Its pretty much that, but it has more flaws than anything they've put out - even KoTOR2.
You are clearly well informed :p

Pug said:
5 in EDGE means its an average game. Simples.
And that's just completely wrong in the case of DA. Either the 360 version is far worse than the PC version to a much larger extent than I knew or Edge has a very strange concept of what makes a good RPG (see also Evilore's post).

Aaron

Haunted said:
Protip: Never use a Famitsu review to argue anything.

I knew it would be a good game when motherfucking Kamiya announced he was making it, what I've seen from it so far just didn't seem like an EDGE 10.
Seen? You haven't even played a demo yet? You probably shouldn't be calling it out just yet then, especially when everyone whose played it significantly has nothing but praise for it... at least the 360 version.

Pug

Durante said:
You are clearly well informed :p

And that's just completely wrong in the case of DA. Either the 360 version is far worse than the PC version to a much larger extent than I knew or Edge has a very strange concept of what makes a good RPG (see also Evilore's post).

It's not completely wrong, its the opinion of the reviewer and the score will be clarified in the text. Your opinion is neither correct or incorrect, it's just an opinion.

Durante

DY_nasty said:
Kotor2 wasn't an atrocious, buggy, half-finished (amazingly fun) piece of shit?
Kotor2 wasn't a game Bioware was involved with.

GarthVaderUK said:
Perhaps not:

Morrowind - 6
Oblivion - 8
See, they even got that order wrong. (or played the console version again)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GarthVaderUK said:
Perhaps not:

Morrowind - 6
Oblivion - 8
Morrowind a 6? Must've been the Xbox-version.

Pug

NinjaFusion said:
WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING HALO REACH FEATURE THAT WAS RUMOURED FOLLOWING THE NEXT MONTH PAGE IMAGE?

It was never Reach in the first place.

NHale

Oh good old EDGE.

I don't believe anyone can trust them anymore, don't you see the pattern of their review scores? They want you to believe they use the complete 0-10 scale, but that doesn't apply to British developers/publishers. They don't review games fairly because they have preferences beforehand and always score according to that.

Do you want a perfect example? Look at FUEL metacritic page and compare the "always demanding" EDGE score to all the other reviews. Then look at who is the publisher...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Durante said:
Kotor2 wasn't a game Bioware was involved with.
258se3b.jpg

Many games have dialogue that is inferior to Dragon Age's, but few have the termerity to force so much of it upon you... one of many scenes so clumsily scripted you almost wish you were reading a Dan Brown novel.
I think I know what scene this is referring to.

And it was really, really awkward.

Tonza

Bayonetta easily deserves that score for the 360 version. The PS3 version is one of my favorite games this year even though I stopped middle way through. (I'll save the rest of the experience for the 360 version) The 360 game will probably go down as one of my favorite games ever.

Easily the best action game ever. No doubt some will dismiss it for the "otaku" stuff though.
Kamiya is my favorite game director. God I hope the game does well.

/livejournal

Dragon Age seems low but then again, it probably won't affect the sales. I know I enjoy the game but I can accept that score as an opinion too.

Yoshichan

ShockingAlberto said:

Spoil it.

El-Suave

If only they didn't have those great "Making of"'s of older games then I probably wouldn't be a subscriber anymore. Last year they were saved by a Gabriel Knight retrospective article which made me renew at the last moment.

Durante

GarthVaderUK said:
Edit: Neverwinter Nights got a 9
Ok, I think I can just stop posting about this, it's abundantly clear that they have no fucking clue. At all. Not even the least inkling of one.

Yoshichan

ShockingAlberto said:
There's a really, really poorly done and awkward
singing scene.
Oh :lol

mclem

NinjaFusion said:

Well, the feature on the oh-so-shiny cover is for Dust 514, that may well be what was actually tipped from the previous next month page. I don't recall exactly what that was, though.

For the record - to pre-empt anyone asking - I'm not sure what this month's Next Month is. It's a black page, with a faint greyscale image of a bald-headed man yelling/screaming out of the page. Somewhat disturbing.

mclem

ShockingAlberto said:

It's cited in the review; a direct quote:

"I am the loop in your hole"

Haunted said:
I refuse to believe that Bayonetta could be this good.

Right there with ya. Played the game at E3--thought it was a sophomoric DMC clone (not a DMC fan anyway) with an ugly color palette (purples, yellows) and poor frame rate. I'm sure they've worked on the frame rate since, but perfect 10s for the game? No way. I'm sure reviewers are giving the game kudos for "wild creativity." I'm just not into the genre, and I don't find the concept compelling... at all.

Then again, I didn't see Demon's Souls being this good (Oh look, a brutally hard, wonkily controlled corridor RPG) or Batman:AA ('nother crappy super hero license) being anything special at this year's show either. That'll teach me to remember that E3 builds are just snippets and may not be representative of the final experience. Something like Demon's Souls takes hours to appreciate/understand, not a 20 minute sit down with the game's NA publishers...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10
A few more:

Arcanum - 5
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6
Fallout 1 - 7

Yoshichan

What did they give Fallout 3?

Kosma

Banned
EviLore said:
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Also of course...

The Witcher - 5/10

hmmm

Nirolak said:
A few more:

Arcanum - 5
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6
Fallout 1 - 7

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yoshichan

Nirolak said:
Diablo - 7
Diablo II - 6
I just dropped my pencil, never again EDGE. Never again.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So...

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Jade Empire - 7/10
KotOR - 9/10
Neverwinter Nights - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10

Fallout 3 - 7/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Morrowind - 6/10

Fallout - 7/10

The Witcher - 5/10

Arcanum - 5/10
Temple of Elemental Evil - 4/10
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6/10

KotOR 2 - 7/10
Neverwinter Nights 2 - 8/10

Diablo - 7/10
Diablo 2 - 6/10

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Pug said:
I thought the PS3 had the problems, washed out look and poorer frame rate.
Well, there is still quite a few instances of tearing and some long-ish loadings in the 360 version. Far better than on PS3, but certainly not perfect either.
Everything else is top notch.

Top Bottom