• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive EDGE info blowout, with more coming tomorrow

JimiNutz

Banned
Holy shit just went into my local Tescos and quickly skimmed through the magazine.
The graphics look absolutely stunning. The art style, the colours, the number of enemies on screen, it all looks amazing.

This has jumped to the top of my 'most wanted' list. Hope I'm still this hyped after seeing the gameplay reveal.

If X1 is significantly underpowered compared to PS4 then maybe MS should focus on games with this more cartoony/colourful art style similar to how Nintendo does it.

JaggedSac

ntkrnl doesn't lie.

Can't remember, what did he say?

Have to say, this game is sounding great. Loving the idea of the game giving incentives to keep moving and grooving by making you more powerful as a result. Hopefully the controls feel great, otherwise all that movement will just be frustrating on a controller.

EVIL

Of course it is. It's one that actually looks like a 9 year old game which is terrible whichever way you cut it. It's at odds with the absolutely stunning statement. Even the better shots don't look much better.

-----------

End of derail.

Fuck that, you can't just drop in, make such a stupid statement and then walk the fuck away. Either live up to your statement and start a thread about it or keep your hand away from the keyboard whenever you have one of these brain farts of yours.

Back on topic

Can't wait to see more off this game! I rechecked the cgi trailer and what I can see from the super blurry "scans" it certainly has the same feel as the trailer.

Since Edge linked this on their site its safe to post

Sunset-Overdrive.jpg

SilentFlyer

Info about the game is indeed looks very fun, especially when there is co-op also. Look like I should start saving for XB1 this September.

Lakitu

st5fu
Game looks stunning. The art design is off the wall. I'm going to have to get an Xbox One this year aren't I?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Looks similar to how I'd imagine it would look. Lots of vibrant colors which is all good in my book. Best of luck, Insomniac.

nbraun80

That's almost straight out of ratchet and clank , isn't it? Wonder how much freedom you have while fighting that guy.
I mentions that you'll have to jump from grinding on rail to rail to get to his weak points, having to use both platforming and shooting skills, all while never stopping.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Jstevenson

I wonder, Jstevenson, you say there's a full fledged single player campaign and story, does this also mean the main character has voice acting and specific story dialogue? Or is it just some non speaking character you can customize however you wish like in the Elder Scrolls games? Does the main character have a name?

Current time of post 12:39AM EST Thursday morning. :)

Main character is fully voiced, both male and female. Nameless though, as it's you!

Full customized, you can use any clothing item on any character - regardless of male/female or body type.

psychotron

This game looks to scratch a gaming itch I've had for a while. I know everyone is going crazy over graphics with next gen, but if art style and fun gameplay can be delivered...I'm in.

From the article it just sounds like straight up, crazy fun. I am sold. And music from bands like DZ Deathrays? Double sold

Immediate edit: keen to see it in action and hear the multi plans too

UrbanRats

Since Edge linked this on their site its safe to post

Sunset-Overdrive.jpg
See, i'm a bit wary about the colors.
That sky does not give me the "dreamcast era" vibe.

"really fun arcade game"
"30fps, if that"

k
JSR was 30 fps anyway.
But you do have a point.

Main character is fully voiced, both male and female. Nameless though, as it's you!

Full customized, you can use any clothing item on any character - regardless of male/female or body type
That's great.

• According to Insomniac they’ve finally begun to understand what they love the most, and that reflects in the tone of the game.
  • Sunset Overdrive mixes platforming and shooting, and places equal weight on both skills. Insomniac has never made guns this powerful. You can take out five enemies with one shot. The guns in the game play completely different from each other.
  • You’ll have to accumulate “style” before you fight some of the harder bosses. Some bosses won’t even notice you’re shooting at them if you’re at style level one or two.
  • Players are rewarded for playing fast and hard and not stopping. If you stop your style meter drops: “getting in there, mixing it up and mantaining that velocity is your aim.”
  • The island’s boss is a Fizzco balloon named Fizzle. The fight is “On rails,” but not in the way we usually think. The rails are coils wrapped around the tower you can grind on. Fizzle’s weak spots are spring-loaded drums above the city’s rooftops, and you’ll have to leap back and forth between them and the rails while avoiding fire and without ever stopping.
  • The player can ride the city’s telephone cables from above or below, changing with a tap of X to avoid low bridges or enemy fire.
  • Little Tokyo’s Japanese-inspired architecture involves lots of short wall runs and oddly angled buildings.
  • The world transforms at night, and so does the way the game plays. Sunset Overdrive promises to offer new ways to to deal with the night both alone and with friends.
  • In the last generation players have been trained to seek cover and wait combat out. Sunset Overdrive asks players “to think differently, use a different toolset and push forward.” Players are rewarded for jumping over the cover and take the initiative.
  • Attack is the new defense and wall running is the new cover.
  • Microsoft told Insomniac “We want Insomniac to be Insomniac” and allowed the developer to own the intellectual property, which is very important for the developer.
  • They’re trying to make a really great arcade game that is really fun to play regardless of how long you play.
  • Xbox One owners will be involved with the decisions that will shape the game post-release.
  • The developer is looking at Sunset Overdrive as the first of a series and want to build it into something bigger, “a real franchise.”
  • Everything was born from a lunch conversation a few years ago. It was never meant to be a real game at that time, but in the end they made it.
Want.

-PXG-

If you're going for colorful, fast paced, Dreamcast era style type of game play, then you have my attention.

Please be 60 fps

Kinyou

I mentions that you'll have to jump from grinding on rail to rail to get to his weak points, having to use both platforming and shooting skills, all while never stopping.
Ah, alright. Sounds like you can choose your rail paths. That should be cool

Just looked at the reddit stuff...my god. Hypeeeeeeee, and confirmed again in the magazine to be launching in 2014.

Please, for the love of everything JS, give us a gameplay trailer today!

No gameplay trailer today but soon apparently. It definitely looks interesting and sounds interesting. Would be hilarious if the first good tony hawk game in a while was Sunset Overdrive.

ICPEE

This game looks to scratch a gaming itch I've had for a while. I know everyone is going crazy over graphics with next gen, but if art style and fun gameplay can be delivered...I'm in.
This. So much this.

Im absolutely in love with the vibrant colours and art style. Beautiful.

Trago

A big retail release with a great looking bright and colorful art style?

Good God where have you been? I need an Xbox One....

Top Bottom